Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Piahouka

Piahouka

My RTP is old version but the newest in asset store. so, I downloaded again it, I could get RTP for unity5.5

2. j0hnbane

j0hnbane

@tomaszek You answered my question with #1. I had pulled back the tesselation sliders but didn't think about fully turning it off in the LOD Manager.. That's what I get for thinking about it too much, haha.

I assume that it would be good practice to use the "terrain to heightmap" tool to make heightmaps after finishing my work, just in case?

With #2, that is functionality I have yet to get to. I'm going to look and see if I can do that. I guess its in the coverage section?

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, you can extract steepness in coverage section and use it as mask. Other solutions - Terrain Composer for example which makes the coverage work for you.

Tom

4. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I'm having trouble with RTP and TC2.... I've basically just spent 4 12 hour days trying to make it work. But the terrain just renders black in the editor... No errors are giving or anything to indicate a problem.

I've tried all the Unity versions from 5.3 to 5.5 ... I've tried purging my asset store cache to get the 5.5 version as mentioned in this thread... I've tried re-compiling the shader with all variations of the options on or off. I've tried on raw terrain without the tc2 scripts attached. I've tried saving out all the little texture save boxes to the filesystem. I've tried assigning a custom material, with all the shaders I could attach to it.

Help?

5. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Is there an extended debug flag I can switch on, or something to help debug this thing?

6. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Wow... After finally getting up the courage to make a forum post... It suddenly starts working... Nothing changed.... Just *poof* suddenly awesome.

:edit:

Nope, false alarm. It was just set to the legacy diffused shader by mistake. It's still broken

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Deferred lighting path ? Look at my example scene - there is very important script attached to the main directional light. Do the same (because it's like %99 probability of the reason in your case).

Tom

P.S. Yes, It's mentioned in my pdf docs.

8. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Thanx for the hint to fiddle with the light.... It wasn't that, but I just got it working.

The lights render mode was set to 'not-important' .... Changing it to important unblacked the terrain.

Is there a way to run it with the light in not-important mode btw? Important mode seems to break shadow rendering on non-terrain geometry when using the Atavism framework.

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Put at least one light to important. I'm not aware of Atavism framework features.

Tom

10. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Cool. that's great. Thanx for your time <3

11. imtehQ

imtehQ

removed the old packed, and imported 3.3e, but i cant get the right version in unity.
    Something im missing?

or i get the right version, but still all white terrain.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. schricke-louis

schricke-louis

Hi,

since sometimes there is troubles when i build, my terrain is red and in editor it's so white.
    I think that it's cause of specular on terrain.

There some screens :

Your help will be very appreciate.

Attached Files:

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Remove ReliefPack then. Open this folder:

%AppData%\Unity\Asset Store\

You'll find Tomasz Stobierski subfolder. There should be my packages stored. Remove it. Under U5.5 download RTP3.3e. After installation you should see verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder. Contents should be like this:

RTP3.3e for U5.5 (submitted from Unity5.5.0b6)

This ensures you've got right package version. Example scene is supposed to look fine now.

For the red terrain - I've got no idea. What's the RTP version used (is it dx9 target platform ?). If you're in deferred take care you don't use 4+4 setup. In presence of 8 layers go for 8 layers mode in LOD manager to render everything in 1 pass.

Tom

14. imtehQ

imtehQ

Thanks that worked :)

15. imtehQ

imtehQ

Another issue im having is i dan't update the terrain snow after build.
    Im having the same issue with the uber shader.

In the editor is also not working right
    im adding snow with reliefterrain. globalSettingsHolder._snow_strength=1.0f;
    But this does nothing untill i select the terrain in the editor, else it will not update the settings somehow.

And idea what im missing?

Edit: The script does change the settings on the globalsettings script, but the scene does not update untill i manualy select it again in the editor

Fixed it with reliefterrain. globalSettingsHolder.refreashall();

But i cant find that option for the uber shader, so now the tarrian is working fine, all good there, but the uber shader materials are not updating the snow effect after build, in the editor everything is working fine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  16. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Greetings @tomaszek

I am encountering an issue where terrain faces don't weld perfectly when tessellation is enabled, resulting in pixels flickering at seams. Attached is an animated GIF which shows a dark terrain in front of a light skybox. This manifests as white pixels flickering over every seam in the terrain (expand image to see pixels). I have manipulated project quality settings, camera frustum, near/far tessellation levels, etc. No changes have had a perceptible effect on this issue.

Ideas appreciated!

17. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Hi! I'm trying to understand how many of RTP's features are available at runtime and how many require edit-time scripting, and I can't seem to find this clearly documented anywhere so I'd be grateful if anyone with experience could shed some light.

Specifically, I'm using the (excellent) MapMagic asset to procedurally generate a terrain at runtime, including the heightmap, splatmap, grass, rocks and other features placed on the terrain.

Now, as far as I understand, I could simply use a material with an RTP shader on that terrain and take advantage of the improving texturing (POM/Perlin noise/triplanar etc.) but I'm also interested in the "geometry blend" features. Can RTP blend the (potentially procedurally-generated) meshes of arbitrary objects that MM places with a (definitely procedurally-generated) terrain at runtime?

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

For UBER meshes to globally react on snow level changes you need to setup material and select snow level to be global. Then check how UBER_GlobalParams is constructed - it simply sets global snow level value with Shader.SetGlobalFloat call. As you've noticved it works on example scene. Your task is then do the same in your project what I did on example scene global snow level controller.

Can't be solved because terrain patches doesn't match exactly (it's enough that vertex positions or normals differ like 1e-6 or so). The only working solutio I found is to place dummy dark object below terrain (like quad). It costs nothing to render but fixes the issue.

As far as I know MapMagic developer provides tutorial or description how to use it with RTP. Geom blend functionality is separate topic though. You would need to dig into my editor scripts to provide your runtime solution. It's like placing nested object (overlying - geom blend) + underlying (terrain) and setup underlying with exactly the same normal/tangent/uv values as terrain below geom blend object has. Then manage alpha channel of vertex colors which controls blending.

Tom

19. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Thanks Tom! A dark quad is the approach I was hoping to avoid, but the phong smoothing is so gorgeous otherwise that it's worth the sacrifice.

20. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Excellent - thanks for that helpful, speedy response. There's nothing in that process that sounds like it can't be computed at runtime, so I'll try digging into the editor scripts and see if I can pull out the relevant sections. Cheers!

21. imtehQ

imtehQ

Im using the UBER_GlobalParams script to change the snow level ingame, this works as i see that the snow level is 1.
    Then i also see that snow effect is added on the objects, in the editor.

Now i build the game, no errors while compiling, and run the game, it still changes the value of the UBER_GlobalParams but does not update the snow effect on the objects.

Textures do not appeer purple tough

If i add any type of shader to the "Always Included Shaders" then unity will crash my pc when compilling, it just goes to 99% CPU of all cores

22. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Tom,

I've followed the tessalation video but i am still having issues. The player controller - Ooti's motion controller goes above and sometimes below terrain. Also painting grass using uNature has the grass hovering above terrain.

I have the heightmap generated and reapplied to terrain data but it still does not work correctly. IS there a step that i missing (unity 5.5)

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Drop me a line on private message with order numbers and purchase dates for verification. Weshould contact directly I guess to solve your issue. You mentioned on UBER thread and my example scene works in build for you, so there's must be something specific to your project.

I believe to have things more fitting you would need higher resolution heightmap before using reapplying height data from tessellation texture back to terrain height data.

Tom

24. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Well I just also switched to Unity 5.5 and using RTP 3.3e for U 5.5
    So the solution for the white Terrain parts after switching from unity5.4 to unity 5.5 using latest RTP version is deleting the RTP folder and importing it again?

rtpbug.JPG

Deleting C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Tomasz Stobierski\Editor ExtensionsTerrain and importing RTP again did not fix it.

Completely removing RTP from project is not an option for me because of all the different terrain options. It's a lot of work setting them again for multiple terrains and settings :(
    Changing to DX12 did not resolve the issue. Same for reloading LOD Manager Settings / Textures etc. I am using DX11 by default and anyway getting all the UnityGlossEnvironment Settings errors in Console.

Perhaps someone has another idea?
    Thanks a alot

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    jdraper3 likes this.
  25. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hey, Is it possible to modify snow cover to be controled by the alpha of the colour map? Having it controlled by the dark parts of the colour map is odd since it makes all the snow a darker shade. Or is there some other way of dealing with that?

I know that the alpha currently controls the parralax, but I'm wondering if i could just hardcode that into border edges.

Or is wetness alpha a possibility?

Also, would it be possible for me to make a wetness map that has different colour and emissivness in different locations? I assume ill need to free up 4 channels, is there a way for me to tell how many channels that are currently in use? Also do you have any advice for implimenting this?

It would be a pretty useful feature. For example, people would be able to create areas of red wetness dynamically for bloodstains, or other colours for other different liquid types. Its something that would be pretty useful.

Also sorry to load this up with tonnes of edits, But is it possible to use the to lower the use of parralax while raising the extrusion of tessellation? Its causing my texture to swim.

How would i go about making a layer which has its color of its emission or water map controlled by the colormap?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  26. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Could you download the latest version into an empty project and then copy across the updated files?

27. ytrewq

ytrewq

28. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks @AndyNeoman for your reply. I am gonna test that. Also gonna make some screens of all our settings because if nothing helps I have to import it completely new :/

29. tiagobg2012

tiagobg2012

Hi, I'm having problems with RTP 3.3e in unity 5.5f3. I created my terrain normally, added the 4 textures , heightmap, then added RTP to my terrain. Then I set my colormap and global normalmap, and splatmap.The thing is, the terrain turns black as follows: upload_2017-1-8_17-36-20.png

Sometimes when I click the terrain and save the scene, it appears the color and global normalmap, but no detail textures:
    upload_2017-1-8_17-48-33.png

I was using deffered with the script attached to the light:
    upload_2017-1-8_17-37-18.png

But since it wasn't working I changed to forward, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  30. KarloE

KarloE

I still can't make self shadowing work in deferred, even though I have the script on my directional light. Everything else seems to be working. What else should I check? What kind of data do you need for me in order to help me with it? As soon as I switch to forward rendering, shadows show up.

I updated to latest unity and latest Relief shaders. ( Unity 5.5.0f3 and RTP3.3e for U5.5 (submitted from Unity5.5.0b6) )

Also, I get this message at the moment and am not sure what it is:

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL FOG_LINEAR RTP_POM_SHADING_MED
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

I guess must be some U5.4 RTP version cginc files remaining in your project. So - you might remove all cginc files and reimport them from U5.5 package version, then reimport shaders to recompile them.

Might be interference between packages. RTP handles basemap distance internally (and in some cases it must be set to 0) while other packages might overwrite it. Your 2nd screenshot looks like we'v egot some issues with shader - seems to be fallback diffuse shader upclose. Don't you have any erros on RTP compilation ? With 4 textures you need to make sure you've got recompiled shaders in LOD manager. If you compile 8 layers (4+4) shaders for one scene it might break for other (with 4 layers because additional pass would be fired with nothing to render - black).

It all can be implemented in RTP_Base.cginc (and RTP_AddBase.cginc in case you use 8 layers in 4+4 setup). Actually there is a switch which can move wetness map to snow coverage - to be selected as #define there - it's mentioned in my docs. For other scenarios you would need where I access global colormap and change the behaviour to control snow coverage.

Do you have custom deferred lighting shader seleted in Unity graphics settings ? RTP comes with one that should work. Do RTP shaders give any erros ?

Tom

32. KarloE

KarloE

No errors. Custom shader didn't help, or it might be that Im doing something wrong. Here are some screenshots:

FORWARD

DEFERRED

Directional light

Custom Shader

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

I guess some 3rd party plugin might remove translucency data from alpha channel of target buffer (aka "gbuffer3"). Found this is the issue for example for new SonicEthers screenspace shadows.

You might chck it and compare with my example scene - RTP installed on fresh project and setup for deferred/POM.

Tom

hopeful likes this.
  34. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Hi Tom,
    does the Standard Geometry Blend Shader require any special setup to work in deferred mode?
    We are now on Unity 5.5.0p3 with RTP 3.3e and cannot seem to get the Standard blend shader version to work - switching to the Basic shader does show the blending. But it is missing features like the ambient occlusion map of course.

35. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hey. Quick question: When is v4 coming out? I really need more than 8 terrain textures pretty badly :D

jdraper3 likes this.
  36. tomaszek

tomaszek

Next release is under developement - so, sorry no date available. I'll announce it as soon as it comes to at least testing stage.

I'll take a look and will get back to you. Yes, probably I need to retweak standard shader as geom blend fo U5.5 separately. I'll post it here as zip attachment when it's ready, so you don't need to wait too long.

Tom

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  37. tiagobg2012

tiagobg2012

Well , there are no errors with the shader, and I'm using only 4 layers in first pass, without add pass: upload_2017-1-9_21-14-50.png
    Only 4 detail textures, all 512 (the ones that come with RTP) :
    upload_2017-1-9_21-18-11.png
    Global maps are 2048:
    upload_2017-1-9_21-15-26.png

And there are no interferences with other assets because i'm not using any. There's only RTP and unity's post effects in this project.

One thing that i noticed is that global maps aren't appearing at all, as you can see here:
    [without]
    upload_2017-1-9_21-26-24.png
    [with]
    upload_2017-1-9_21-28-44.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  38. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Thank you!

There's one last thing id like to ask about. Is it possible to have the color map conform to the heightblending? Perhaps based on whichever is highest?

For example, i have here roots moving in to rocks. But what if i wanted those roots to be veins, so i colored them red with the color map?

If i got this working nicely, i'd have much more options for all of my layers. Using sand as snow or ash for example, by using a different colormap color on it.

https://gyazo.com/fb80586351e9fa886ebb75ab2920d119

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  39. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not sure if advanced global color map blending option (available in LOD manager to be set) will satisfy your needs, but you can try if case you missed this feature. Refer to my docs, it's described more in-depth there.

Tom

40. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Its interesting but i don't think it would work for my game. Id need it to only happen at layer edges, while detecting the nearby pixels of the colormap to check if the color is changing at the same time as the layers.

41. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Hey Tom,
    thx for taking a look at the Standard blend shader.
    While waiting for this fix I tried to fix some issues with our global colormap when I noticed something else - painting on the colormap brightens the whole terrain. As if the temporary colormap was encoded in another range than the original map stored in the project was (like for example switching from gamma to linear or something like that).
    Could you take a look at this, too? Thx.

42. horse

horse

Hi Tom.

I am making an RTS style game. I am wondering how RTP would handle an 8,192 x 8,192 texture for the colour map?

I have been able to do some great things with a 4096 map, but if you think the performance would be ok, I would like to try a bigger texture. Is this reasonable within RTP?

Looking forward to your feedback.

thanks,

Glenn

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

Replace shaders from zip. For global colormap temporary colormap indeed is probably set to linear while painting. It gets back fine (sRGB) when you save it to png. When you start painting you can double click the texture and see in inspector its properties. Select debug mode (top right menu of inspector) and set color space to 1. It's "manual" hack if you'd like to to follow real look of terrain after its colormap is saved.

Attached Files:

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  44. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

That workaround brings us back to wysiwyg, thx Tom!

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

Simply check this. I guess it's more like GPU and CPU RAM limitation or Unity. On side of my scripts and shaders - if Unity can do it I see no reason you can't use 8k for global colormap. As far as I know 8k textures are possible only on desktops. RTP samples global colormap once in a shader code - it should add that much to GPU load to make it unusable when RTP works fine for you already.

Tom

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

If shader does not give any error it's very hard to say what's actually wrong. Might something with Unity version against RTP version. I think it's best for you to contact me via private message here. We'll figuyre it out via skype screenshare.

Tom

tiagobg2012 likes this.
  47. Yokogeri

Yokogeri

Just wanted to show what i achieved with the help of mainly RTP3 and UBER Standard Shader Ultra. :)

Lex4art, Beloudest, tomaszek and 4 others like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

The colors and composition remind me of the art of the Brothers Hildebrandt. :)

Yokogeri likes this.
  49. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi Tomaszek, recently I tried baking my tessellation height map using the Prepare HeightMap Tool and I then added the image to RTP global maps for tessellation. It seems as though the baked map is being flattened and losing the correct heights to match the original terrain. I had used this feature before and it worked correctly. The old map I have works as expected so I know my RTP settings are good. It's as though the baking process is breaking.

Do you have any idea what could be happening? Tessellation is occurring just not at the correct height. If you see this an answer would be great asap as I have game to submit today. Thanks.

50. Beloudest

Beloudest

Don't worry, I had to bypass the sRGB texture settings and we are good to go. Maybe you can make sure it saves with this setting in the future. Panic over.

When are you going to unleash RTP shader 4 with texel textures like Mega Splat? Is it on the cards!