Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Knightmore

Knightmore

I am using the same unity version you used to submit it. Just send you a private message with a large screenshot and added the substance to it if you want to try it with the shown texture maps.

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Glitter used (w/o snow) ? :).

Tom

3. ThunderSoul

ThunderSoul

One other question. My game should have a "Save Game" feature. Can I store values for the generated map, save those values to file, and when my player loads game, the player will have the same generated map. Does your product support this?
    Thank you.

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

Randomly generated map at start means - some scripting required to get it working (script would do the same spets you take when you add RTP component to your Unity terrain). Yes, it's possible to store all params, but game developer need to implement it himself. Parameters stored would be:

Unity terrain side:
    1. terrain heightmap (can be serialized as it's actually an array of values)
    2. terrain trees placemen, detail, grass placement (you need serialization soltuion for this)
    3. coverage textures - 1 or 2 (for 4 or 8 layers) RGBA textures stored (you can serialize it as well taking pixel values)

RTP side:
    1. Values stored in reliefTerrain object instance (it's RTP component attached to unity terrain)
    2. Values stored in ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder object (it's exposed by ReliefTerrain object) which stores all global data shared between terrains when there are multiple on scene.

RTP has "preset functionality" - you could use at least part of this code to your needs.

Tom

5. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

oh well.. this again... so last night all was going well. I was looking forward to actually have something worth showing off today, but I loaded up my project and the terrain was black.

Ok np just refresh RTP... Nope nothing..
    Ok I'll load up another scene and then load this one again... Nope nothing.
    Ok I'll recompile RTP shaders... Nope Nothing.
    OK I'll reimport RTP shaders ... Nope Nothing.

Ok so I'm left with no other choice but to use an alternative shaders. Hopefully Lars Ultra terrain shaders will work properly.

Cya RTP... nice in theory though... thats it...

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Use whatever tool you like.

In case you use deferred lighting - do you have script attached to your main directional light like on my example scene ?

7. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

yes

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

I see no problem to drop me a line in private message to solve the issue via screenshare on skype then. I believe it's something specific to your setup otherwise all other customers would complain which is not the case.

Tom

9. Rim2812

Rim2812

Hello. In Unity 5.5.0b9 RTP is not working. When approximately to wait update RTP?

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

b6 (and most probably b7) it works. I can't submit every 2 days because waiting for AssetStore approval often takes more than week... That's what I always try to say - betas are betas... My statement - later, after a few more Unity betas passed :).

But in your case simply check if you've got the most recent version from assetstore - verinfo.txt file placed in ReliefPack main package folder. I mark U5.5 version there. It might be that you use U5.4 package version ?

Tom

Seneral likes this.
  11. kloogens

kloogens

I created a new scene for a project that has several scenes using RTP.
    I created this particular scene after upgrading to Unity 5.4+.
    I have RTP 3.3c.
    I have 8 layers , no snow, wetness, pretty much the default settings.
    I keep getting this error. "Detail tex 0 size=1024 while detail tex 4 size=512"
    Okay So I check my texture sizes. Change the diffuse maps from 512 to 1024 in the import settings for each image.
    When I set focus back on the terrain, it changes them back to 512!!!!. The diffuse maps are the only ones doing this.
    Just to make sure I opened the images in photoshop and they are indeed 1024.
    Furthermore it only happens to textures on layers 5,6,7,8.
    My Quality settings are set to full res and the layers 1-4 behave normally and have texture size of 1024 diffuse, 1024 normal and 256 Height.
    The terrain isn't rendering properly but I'm assuming that is because of the exceptions noted above.

Doing a back up (large project) and will trying upgrading to 3.3e.
    Preparing to jump out of window. :)

Edit: Okay did a backup and imported the latest version. Now I'm getting a compiler error in the
    RTPFogUpdate Class

LODmanager.RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR=LinearColorSpace;

I searched intelli sense for anything similar but couldn't find anything.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Go live please :). If you deselct terrain (so RTP inspector doesn't mess here). Triple check every diffuse texture is of the same size (max size in importer inspector might be misleading when texture file is actually smaller).
    But still - once it happened to one of my customers. Something got stucked and Unity was stubbornly reporting texture size to scripts to be of different size than it really was... The only solution was to go outside Unity and cop/ypaste this texture so unity reimport copy again - then it was correct.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  13. kloogens

kloogens

Thanks for the advice Tom.

Thank did work! Yay.
    I also had to reset my editor layout to default layout per a suggestion on another forum. For some reason I couldn't paint the terrain and that somehow fixes it.

I guess I should have mentioned I live on the first floor.
    Off to the races.

Thanks again.

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Newer RTP does not need fog update script, when you upgrade from lower RTP version some old files are still present (unless you remove whole ReliefPack folder before upgrade. You can remove problematic script which generates error.

Tom

15. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hey, I'm currently having a small issue with vertical texturing, it seems like it has a hardcoded distance where it stops being applied that i cant figure out how to change. How do i make sure this still looks the same from further distance?

https://gyazo.com/591cd7ef40657758a022580457ead600

This gif shows the effect in action

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's supposed to work at any distance, give me your LOD manager setup please. Maybe some features combination makes the difference.

17. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Okay, Ive attached an image with my settings. Note that this is zooming the camera away /very/ far. Because i hope to take shots from above and use it as a map.

Attached Files:

18. buronix

buronix

Hey,

I am trying new rtp 3.3e (submitted u 5.4.0.f3) cause I want 8 layers with water, glitter, snow, etc, but it wont be possible early, so Im now testing it and it appears black patches in the terrain (with no logic of which texture is causing it), then I figure out one thing, it is happening when the alpha value is "1" on one single texture (my alpha maps values can only blend max between 2 textures), so the blend seems nice between the alphamap values with "1" at one single texture and other kind of combinations (x example "0.7" and "0.3"). but when the terrain alphamap is with a single texture value of "1" then it turns black.

atlas_first_pass_8_layers.png

here a close distance a point where 3 textures are cross(there are never 3 textures with a value > 0, together, max 2 textures are blended in each alphamap value):

atlas_first_pass_8_layers_close.png

this is my conf:

LOD_CONF.png

Can you guide me or help me to solve this problem?

I can give you whatever information you need (I am using 8 layers, with 8 in first pass, no overlap in 8 layers mode unchecked, max Lod PM).

19. buronix

buronix

Ok, first, this is mad.

I was trying to achieve other example with a basic terrain with rtpmaterial/builtin material to show as example, then I suddenly tried to uncheck the "no deferred" option, I don´t know, I was giving a shoot, then everything start working and black patches disappear.

Then I come here to reply the thread with the "bug", but before that to be sure I tried again to check the "no deferred" option and recompile shaders again.

Ok, it keeps working after that, so... I don´t know, its working? yes, but I have no idea what its happening. Only to inform its not something related to update the material or refresh or whatever, I create my terrain and rtp material procedurally so each time I play they are created from scratch.

Well nothing more to say, its working but Im not mad, something its happening.o_O:confused:

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

I see you're using advanced global colormap blending option. Try without it and show me your global colormap used. I'd believe your issue is more related to global colormap blending values different for distances (close/mid/far) rather than vertical texturing.

Dealing with terrain done dynamically might be "RTP fooling". LOD manager keeps track of number of layers used on terrain where you attached ReliefTerrain component. So - first make terrain with desired number of layers (either 4 or 8, not 3 nor 5 nor 7). Attach ReliefTerrain component. In LOD manager select features and recompile shaders. These setup is supposed to be working on terrain with exactly the same number of layers when done dynamically later. In your case most probably you recompiled shaders and LOD manager "removed" add pass from compiled output. An example - make terrain with 8 layers and 4+4 setup (no 8 layers mode). Recompile shaders for such set. Then make terrain with 4 layers and add RTP - it will break because Addpass shading will be added for far distance (with zeroed/black textures). Seems to be tricky, but RTP tries to be smart as possible, but when conditions change "meantime" we've got such problems. It's because at shader level we can't determine which pass is rendered.

Same problem would arise when you have one terrain with 4 layers on one scene and another setup - 8 layers terrain on separate scene in the same project (or if you try to achieve this on single scene). This is like "mixed setup" which is not to be nicely resolvable in RTP3. We still hold heavy luggage back from U3 where we even didn't have materials exposed to render terrain with (only replacement shaders). I realise LOD manager is sometimes tricky and frustrating, but it was the best solution to not engage users with manual shader code management...

Tom

P.S. RTP4 is planned to cure everything and restore the kingdom of terrains back ;).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Tethys, moure and buronix like this.
  21. virror

virror

Looking forward to that : D

22. buronix

buronix

Thanks!, I will try to learn these things to understand better RTP, I think its awesome (its the core of my game more or less), and I want to learn about it, but sometimes its frustrating.

23. googlebac

googlebac

Hi Tomas, just got your uber shader, veeeery nice work. So I have an issue with relief terrain only when I create a build, the terrain area that I'm standing on has no texture on it but everywhere else is fine. so there's a big grey square wherever the player is. this is the error I receive:

Error message : Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrainGeometryBlendBase': maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(620) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON RTP_SIMPLE_SHADING

Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

This is me being a noob im sure.

24. Aerys

Aerys

hi everyone i have one question about rtp tesselation system.
    Is there a way to reduce the tesselatioon reder distance on the terrain?

As you can see here i want to modify my tesselation render distance from the red line to the green line.

Thanks so much in advance.

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

You would need to cut features used, but it's better to upgrade to RTP3.3e and exclude d3d9 platform from build.

Close/far distance tessellation factors are set separtately. Distances themselves are set in 2 places - close distance in RTP/Settings/Main (it doesn't mater that much because we consider tessellation start from 0 distance). Far distance is to be set in RTP/Perlin.

Tom

26. Aerys

Aerys

Hi thanks so much!!!!!
    I have one more question: is there a way to tile single layer independently of each other?

27. virror

virror

A quick question about tessellation. Can i use a high res terrain to generate tessellation map, and the use a lower res terrain with that and still get the same tessellation resolution? If i can, will that save me any performance?

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Possible only at UV blend level (large scale at far distance to help remove tiling). Otherwise - nope (due to performance reasons). In RTP4 I will give such option but still it will e advisable to use uniform tiling across all layers (shader will work considerably faster).

That's exactly what I suggested. Too high resolution (like 8k tessellation texture) can be heavy for GPU though, but it's perfectly fine to use hi-res heightmaps for tessellation texture and exactly the same (or matched after bicubic smoothening) for collider. For surface rendering use lower res heightmap. Will release Unity CPU calculations performed by Unity to construct dynamic terrain mesh and push it to GPU (lower drawcalls!). You need to balance it well though. If input mesh (this is what Unity outputs for terrain) is of very low res and the same time you use extremely high tessellation factors to compensate (like max=63) GPU hit might be worse - following AMD guidelines for modern GPU architectures - everything above 15 tessellation factor level get more and more expensive. So - at some point it might be better to give GPU moderately well tessellated grid then refine it with modest tessellation factors (upclose we might need higher to displace details).

Remember that Unity will place all trees, grass and details sticked to Unity terrain heightmap - if it's of low resolution grass might be drawn sunk or above terrain. Render 2 terrains then - trees/grass/details on terrain with hi-res heightmap (it will be also collider). You turn off surface draw for this terrain. 2nd terrain will be RTP - surface only with lower res heightmap.

Tom

29. virror

virror

Thank you for a very good and detailed answer : )
    Making a VR prototype so need to try and squeeze every fps that i can out of it : )

30. yc960

yc960

I like the look of the planet shader included in the package, however it does not have the foggy look when rendered in deferred and my custom planet doesn't look nearly as good, any fixes? Or to force planet to render in forward? Can we expect some updates on it?

31. buronix

buronix

Hey!

I have a question, Im working on first pass with 8 textures, and Im trying to reduce weight in the application, if Im using the 2 atlas textures for the splats, need I to define and load the base splats textures for the material? or Can I remove them to free resources? its necessary for the shader?

Thanks in Advance.

Ruben.

32. Crossway

Crossway

After I asked alloy developers about that heavily specular on the terrains they said "there's not much we can do about RTP, since it doesn't use Unity's standard BRDF."

Can you please check to see if that is possible to make these assets compatible with each other? Alloy was expensive for me I can't just remove it because of this issue.

33. mkgm

mkgm

Hello Tom,
    please, forgive me my ignorance...

Materials from Megascan are awesome... and would be great if your RTP shaders could support Megascan materials.

Could you evaluate if this is achievable?
    Currently there is nobody offering a terrain shader that supports Megascan materials.

Please, let me know your thoughts.

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is custom fog rendered over the planet surface - it works only in forward. I don't plan to update RTP3 with new features as I'd like to focus on RTP4. Planets are so rare case (statistically) that I won't offer planet handling anymore.

I remember I remove source detail diffuse/gloss texture from build (I'm nulling their references in script assetpostprocessor). Maybe something else refers to them and they get included. But from RTP perspective - atlases are the only textures used for shading, sources are used only for editor.

I've been talking to Josh from Alloy - he told me about their approaches to make RTP+Alloy work together and I can offer them help to sensible extent. For now RTP uses PBS2 level which together with custom dielectric color can remove highlights from terrain. In deferred, if you'd like to use their lighting it's up to them solve this. Josh asked me to output low specularity as "special case" to occlusion, but then we skept it after - "Tom let me look at this issue and I'll get back to you".

It's about textures, not materials. You can freely use their textures with RTP. This is what for example was showcased at Unite 2016 in LA - Outsiders presented their Project Wight with megascans and RTP. At current stage textures usage on RTP3 are - diffuse+smoothness set in alpha channel, normalmaps, heightmaps (displacement). No separate textures for occlusion or metalness/specular color. RTP4 will handle it. You should expect here some megascans usecase for RTP4 in next weeks.

Tom

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Crossway and mkgm like this.
  35. mkgm

mkgm

Thanks for the feedback Tom.
    I'll be waiting for news.

36. buronix

buronix

Thanks Tom, I commented the shader assignation of _SplatA/B/C/X (less memory for me, and less time refreshing materials).

I have a question about heightBlend, I removed most tiling effects, but there is a problem for me, I calculated the values of each layer procedurally, taking into account the slope of the terrain, so I have tiling effects caused by the HeightBlend:

heightblend.jpg

I was reading the doc and it seems the heightblend is calculated by showing the layer with the brightest heightmap, in my case when the slope is very similar in an area of the terrain the heightblend show the same layers blended as a pattern and it results in tiling effects, can I do something to put some variations in the final heightblend to avoid show always the same pattern of heightblend? is there any way to put variatons based on the perlin noise normal map or something similar?

Thanks in Advance!!

Ruben.

37. buronix

buronix

Also one thing, I was testing superdetail so I recompiled shaders and Im still getting the error:

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to set coverage more random (basing on some noise). When Layer A and Layer B coverage is uniform over large area patterns are obvious.

it's related to d3d9 (dx9). We can only use more textures on DX10+. Exclude d3d9 from build to remove this error.

Tom

39. buronix

buronix

Thanks, I solved the problem.

About the height blend, I thought that, but I was waiting for a miracle from rtp to avoid me do adicional calculations (and work:rolleyes:).

Right Now I have another question, sorry Im a very boring person, sometimes even I get bored of myself.
    (Scenario: Multi - Tile Terrains - Chunks)
    Im trying to switch some of my far tile terrains with meshes, I generated the meshes and control maps correctly and then I discover a rtp shader called "ReliefTerrain-faronly". I search for documentation in the pdf, but I didn't found it, only a mention, I would try to use it with my final mesh, but I have a question, need I to configure it like the base ReliefTerrain-FirstPass, and then assigned it to the material?, need I to do something special?

**Updated (2º time)

Well Its working "correctly", after some stupids bugs in my code (I need to sleep more), all its working fine, but the faronly shader is darken than first pass, and with less quality, maybe you can give me some advices, but I understand that its not the same, well the name of the shader give information by itself about it (maybe I will use it for my second lod of mesh terrains).

Thanks in Advance.

Ruben.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  40. virror

virror

Just want to pop in and say that im really happy with how my cave turned out : D
    Well, the model sucks, but the integration was really easy and painless.
    Thank you for a great product : )
    Will not hesitate to pick up RTP4 when its out ; )

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Check normals - tterrain and meshes need to match. If you use global normalmap this problem would be simplier to solve.

42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I have the same issue. UBER is working great, the Terrain with RTP isn't. As tom posted a workaround I will check that later on. Since my weather script is changing the global wetness I think I will anway have to adjust everything so global_wetness keeps high all the time.... How did you manage it?

@tomaszek
    any news about your Speedtree POM feature you where doing for your indie project? You talked about that it will eventually come in the future if the project is funded. Any news on that? Would be happy to know of the Speedtree Feature will be included in new RTP V4 or come as standalone in the future. Ofc I would also help / pay for that.

Best regards

43. buronix

buronix

Hey,

Really, I have no final solution yet, for now, increase rain intensity will help (but its not the solution), also WetDropletsStrength (rain on wet), but care wiith WetDropletsStrength, with a high rain intensity and global wetness it would see very weird, try to use a animation curve to calculate the values.

Also you can try to change the color of water and refractions, so try to "cheat" and really have a higher global wetness but with transparent ant colorless water, which will you let draw droplets in your terrain, when the "real global wetness" value increase you can change the watercolor and refraction to make it "visible" (maybe you will need to play also with flow related parameters) , the idea is made the water invisible enough to draw the ripples with the appearance of a effective wet level lower than the real one.

Im working to implement this kind of solution, but im not finish yet (so Im not sure how it will works).

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

We're at promo videos production stage. I hope kicksatrter will start over next 2-3 months. Then we'll discuss availability of SpeedTreeHD solution (as standalone).

Tom

RonnyDance and buronix like this.
  45. buronix

buronix

Wow I didnt know it, I would love it, my SpeedTree shader "hacks" are disgusting, would you include snow and wet?(pls).

46. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

As far as I know it's pretty hard to draw snow and wetness to moving objects (uber or rtp). Since tree leaves are moving I don't see this feature anytime soon . I meant effects for trunks like POM for speedtree trunks

47. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using Unity 5.5 b10 but can't build the shader and have below error.

Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FarOnly': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(288) at /UnityImageBasedLighting.cginc(520) (on d3d9)

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

There is U5.5b6 version working on AssetStore. I don't follow every subsequent Unity beta, sorry. Maybe you've got RTP version that's not suitable for U5.5 installed? Look at _verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder. Make sure you don't have any previous "remnant" files in this folder that might interfere.

It has wet (no ripples nor droplets - yet) and snow. For moving leaves - yes it might look a bit weird, but only at the very close distance where we see dissolve masked snow flakes.

Tom

ksam2 and RonnyDance like this.
  49. buronix

buronix

This can sound very repetitive, I,m not sure if you have an ETA for rtp4,(I would love to know that), but I have a question about rtp4, Would it be necessary to create atlas textures? its quite important to me, im trying to generate atlas in runtime, and its a nightmare (trying to perform multi thread operations) so im not sure if spent two much time on it, or relays on future rtp4 implementation.

Thanks in advance.

50. daschatten

daschatten

Hi Tomaszek,

in my project all prefabs are streamed from a backend, even terrains. I tried to get the terrains working with RTP by doing the following:

* Create a terrain prefab with rtp script attached
    * LODManager exists in scene which the client inital gets
    * Save all textures to disk
    * Save presets to disk
    * Reference saved presets in a singleton
    * Attached a script to terrain which gets presets from singleton and load a given preset in OnEnable (even tried by button press in update to make sure it is working)

This only works in editor but not in a build standalone. What i get in standalone is just standard terrain look (after adding standard terrain shaders to always include shaders).

Next tries:

* Adding all rtp shaders to always include shaders: gives funny black and white colors on terrain and half the trees
    * Adding only changed rtp shaders (after rebuild; according to git status) but this has no effect, looks like standard unity terrain.

I assume the right shaders are not loaded, but i get no hints from standalone logfile. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Florian