Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. schricke-louis

schricke-louis

Hi, i clicked on button "Recompile shaders for given feature set" and textures on my terrain just disappeared

can you help me ?

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

So something went wrong with compilation. You need to give me more info (console output or shader info in shader inspector where potential errors are shown).

Tom

3. schricke-louis

schricke-louis

I've got this error : "Firstpass MIGHT NOT COMPILE. You're using 2 aux textures out of 1 available..."

4. Marked

Marked

Hey Tom , by any change is the build available on your site ?

5. buronix

buronix

Hey!

Im having a little problem with the animated droplet (ripples) and the wet/water, I want to the droplets been displayed in the small water accumulations in the terrain, but I need to push the TERRAIN_GlobalWetness value over 0.7 - 0.75 to display the droplets, but in that state almost my entire terrain is under water, I tried to reduce the layer wetness but then the problem is the same, the ripples are not displayed on the small water accumulations, I tried to increase the rain intensity or the TERRAIN_WetDropletsStrength,but these parameters only increase the amount of ripples in the deeper water, How can I display ripples in the small water accumulations ?(not "small" at all btw).

**Special Petition! :
    It would be awesome to have an option to reduce/remove the definition values in the properties material block, I want to set a lot of global vars via Shader.setGlobalX, but its not working with the properties that are defined in the properties block of the material, even if they are hide in the inspector, so I need to edit the shaders each time to remove the declarations, I think some of them are very necessary (TERRAIN_DropletsSpeed,TERRAIN_WetDropletsStrength are very
    dependent on the actual rain intensity) maybe others are more particular to me.

Thanks in Advance for your time, and awesome hard work!!!

6. gecko

gecko

I'm having trouble with lighting on an RTP terrain in an additively-loaded scene. The additive scene has RTP terrain, directional light, and baked lightmaps. It's loaded into the UI scene at runtime, using the 5.3 Scene Manager. But the lighting on the terrain is way overexposed, far too bright. Other non-RTP objects are lit correctly. If I click out of Unity into another app, then back, then suddenly the lighting is all correct. See screenshot comparison.

So then I removed RTP stuff from the terrain and scene, and now when it loads additively, lighting is all correct. So somehow, it seems, RTP is not receiving the lightmaps correctly until I switch out and back to Unity. Any ideas?

Using 5.3.2f1 and RTP 3.3d on Mac OS 11.5.

Attached Files:

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

After loading scene try to call RefreshAll(); on anyInstanceOfReliefTerrain.globalSettingsHolder.RefreshAll(); that's what I call when you go outside and go back to Unity.

Tom

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

As far as I remember there is water param that can order RTP to display droplats on "wet" areas (w/o accumulated water). Look at water params in RTP/Settings?water or per layer, don't remember out of my head now.

Tom

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to revise your feature set, turn "no lightmaps" in LOD manager, or simply wait a few day for incoming RTP3.3e which should fix this nasty ever-lasting-pain-in-neck problem.

Sorry, generaly I don't plan it, because I hope Unity AssetStore staff will unqueue it soon.

Tom

P.S. If they won't - I manage it by the end of this week.

Marked likes this.
  10. buronix

buronix

Hey tom,
    its TERRAIN_WetDropletsStrength, (0-1 by default) I tried to increase the value (I tested with 2,4, even 100), but its the same, its not working on low-mid global wet values, only when global wet is over 0.7,and with WetDropletsStrength higher values than 1 the ripples are weird when the global wetness is over 0.85-0.9, rain intensity does not affect under 0.65+- global wetness.

I attach a video example, I change the values in runtime so you can see how affect the result I started with global wetness 0.6, rainintensity 3 and WetDropletsStrength 10, and there is no ripples at all in the water accumulations.
    Maybe I can try to implement some calculations to decrease the WetDropletsStrength when I increase the Global wetness to avoid the weird behaviors with high values, but I cant achieve to display droplets under 0.7 global wetness.

For example, I have UBER working with my nature objects (rocks etc) and the ripples are working fine, when a small water is displayed over the object the ripples also are displayed, there is no need to have almost full water on the entire object to display ripples.

11. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hi, Ive been messing around with rtp and substances and i apologize that you've probably explained this before. Why do we need to bake out substances rather than having them update during runtime? We miss a lot of the possibilities of substances due to this.

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Mostly because RTP uses combined textures - normals are combined in pairs, heights are combined in quads (RGBA for 4 layers), so texture we see in RTP inspector are not necesarilly texture shader actaully uses.

Good news is that RTP4 will have it dynamic because of different approach used (don't ask when it will be shipped)

Notice that despite of the fact shaders can use ProceduralTexture like any other texture, you can't use substances with Unity terrain shader as you can't select ProceduralTexture objects, only Texture2D is accepted by Unity terrain inspector. I had to make some acrobatic workaround for this in RTP4, but it will work (don't ask when it will be shipped).

Tom

Marked likes this.
  13. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Okay, cool. So ill plan as if this will be possible in the future at some point. Also, does this rule apply to voxel terrains as well?

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, voxel terrains also uses RTP core shading routines and combined textures, otherwise it would be pretty easy to simply drag&drop substance output textures to material inspector texture slots (which accept "Texture" objects and substance "ProceduralTexture" is child class of "Texture"). By now you could only drag&drop substance textures to diffuse/albedo slots in voxel materials.

Tom

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've looked into implementation details in RTP_Base.cginc and indeed rain intensity is multiplied by wetness strength. If you'd like to change behaviour you need to increase drastically rainIntensity, however "roff" variable which controls overall refraction/normal distortion for droplets is also post mutiplied:

Code (csharp):
    2. TERRAIN_LayerWetStrength=<value per layer>
    3. TERRAIN_LayerWetStrength*=saturate( 2*(1 - water_mask - perlinmask*(1-TERRAIN_LayerWetStrength*TERRAIN_GlobalWetness)) )*TERRAIN_GlobalWetness;
    4. wetSlope=(<dot value from world normal y component>*TERRAIN_WaterLevelSlopeDamp);
    5. _RippleDamp=saturate(TERRAIN_LayerWetStrength*2-1)*saturate(1-wetSlope*4)*_uv_Relief_z;
    6. TERRAIN_RainIntensity*=_RippleDamp;
    8. [...]
    10. roff*=4*_RippleDamp*lerp(TERRAIN_WetDropletsStrength, 1, <value taken from detail heightmap>);
    So, the's the anatomy of water coverage in RTP. You can either tweak those parts in RTP_Base RTP_AddBase or do it simplier - operate at higher global wetness values while reducing wetness per particular layers to have desired look for both dry/full rain conditions.

Tom

16. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

Hello Tom.

Need your advice.

if your terrain all of a sudden went black and even if you clicked refresh in the panel and also tried recompile shaders, and even reimported rtp shader again and yet nothing worked..

what do you do then?

My only option thus far has been to start a new project... there must be way round this bug?

and one more thing why after many years is this bug still here? is it something you spent a lot of time on fixing?

17. tomaszek

tomaszek

Have you tried to check if deferred has light direction provided (script attached to my main directional light in example scene?). This could make such problem, or light intensity of main directional light set below 0.01 (or light not present). Other than that - I've got no idea as far as you tried refreshing and recompilation. Another trace - remove material from terrain (Unity terrain settings/material template) and reselect terrain again+refresh.

Tom

18. gecko

gecko

Thanks, but this isn't working for us. And we don't see that RefreshAll. is made when the editor regains focus. The only thing we've found that does get called is OnApplicationWasPaused but that's wrapped so it wouldn't be called outside of the editor. Even forcing a call to that doesn't do anything though. Are we doing something wrong?

19. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

Means shader uses too many resources (textures). The limit is 16 and a lot of them are used by Unity internally. For now you could turn off any feature in LOD manager that consumes texture (disabling lightmaps may halp "no lightmaps" in LOD manager). When RTP3.3e is shipped the problem should be gone (it's awaiting AssetStore staff approval)

Tom

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

I remember once I had refreshing issues when user Alt+Tab I implemented
    MonoBehaviour.OnApplicationFocus(bool)

to call refresh function and it worked. Later I put everything in material properties and problem has gone, so I removed OnAppFocus handler, soryy for confusion. Your case is the opposite - you can "cure" with Alt+Tab, but I don't have idea how to help you more than causing deep refresh (all material props).

Apparently something get called (on Unity side) with you Alt+Tab, which is not properly handled after scene loading. We would need to know what gets called and if RTP can cause this itself after scene loading.

Have you tried to call RefreshAll() function (it's public function of object stored in reliefTerrainInstance.globalSettingsHolder) after loading ? Seems weird to me as many users had additive loading already realised with RTP without problems.

Tom

22. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi, thanks for the answer, the fact is that I can use 4+4 layers setup in deferred, and looks ok (without tesselation), I don't know why, but it seems to work fine, so when I switch to 8 layers in first pass, is when the shader get's pink (doesnt compile), I'll try adding exclude_path:forward to all shaders (I'm not sure where exactly to add that, as a pragma maybe?) and let you know if it fixed the problem, anyways I'll wait for your update so the setup should work with 7 samplers, cheers!

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We are in the process of using World Creator to create our maps, but would like to build them for RTP 4, what is recommended for this? 4 or 8? Thanks :)

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Any :). RTP4 will swallow any amount of input textures - smoothly. Well, maybe don't exceed 64 by now as I don't want to make interactive editing too slow - we would deal with 16 RGBA splat control textures.

Tom

25. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Is there a way to set a global water level where water wets textures below it? Or do i need to make new layers controlled by the splat map with that?

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Global wetness is exposed both - in RTP inspector and by scripting (recently buronix asked about some rain droplets details - https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-106#post-2824704). Most straightforward way (maybe not much effective for frequent updates) is to set global wetness level in reliefTerrainInstance.globalSettings opbject then calling RefreshAll() there to apply this change into material(s).

For more info - refer to my pdf doc.

Tom

27. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

What i mean, is that while global wetness will control how wet the entire terrain is, is it possible to set a global waterlevel which will control how wet the texture is based on how high that part of the terrain is in the scene. So that an area of rock and sand lapped by waves of the ocean are wet. Or would i need to make new layers for all of those textures that are wet?

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

yes, wetness is controlled per layer, but if you don't plan for rainy weather (to make everything wet) you can paint wetness using wet mask on the shore. This is the approach we had in our showcase for island video (water level is animated then to sync tides against water level on beach). This way you don't need to deal with additional layers.

Tom

29. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hmmm. Okay, i think ill need to use a layer for it at the moment. I'm using map magic which means runtime generation. It should be pretty easy to get the information from map magic really, for the terrain height, though that wouldn't be as accurate as the caustics water level.

I might have to write a bunch more features for map magic in addition to its RTP patch, to support things like that and tessellation by generating at different resolution than the base terrain mesh and link it in with RTP's Heightmap.

30. gecko

gecko

This problem was getting worse -- happening even running the scene normally, not as an additive scene. So I finally deleted that terrain from the scene, dragged in the terrain object from the project panel and set up RTP on it again...and everything works properly. I *think* that maybe the problem occurred when upgrading the project from 5.3 to 5.4. But all is well now.

31. ThunderSoul

ThunderSoul

Hi, I'm new to RTP, can I randomly generate terrain if I want to have a random map for my game?

32. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP uses regular Unity terrain and is generaly something like alternative shader. Yes, you can, but I'm encouraging to go thru my pdf doc first to get basics of the system. After terrain is done and you attach RTP it takes some additional textures and parameters. You will need to setup dynamically reliefTerrain object and globalSettingsHOlder object which stores this. For procedural terrain generation you need composed textures prepared first.

To get things simplier - setup a terrain with all RTP stuff then you can manage terrain shape and coverage dynamically - such thing would work out of the box.

Tom

33. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hey Tom,

I have a bit of a problem. I am using RTP 3.3d. I have multiple terrains in a scene, each of them has the RTP script attached (mostly used for tesselation and a little superdetail). I have one RTP LODManager in the scene.
    When I click on one of the terrains and afterwards select another, it seems like the settings from the RTP script of the first terrain are copied over to the second. This is most visible by the layer being overwritten (though I can not say if it is always the first or only the selected one).

Edit: This does not happen if the Inspector is locked on another game object. Reverting to prefab also restores the expected state.

Do you have an idea what I did wrong?

Best regards,
    Patrick

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you'd like to have every terrain independent you need to place them in separate tgameobjects (it's grouping terrains with same settings) which is desirable in most scenarios where we've got larger environment split into terrain pieces stiched.

So remove RTP components, place terrains into separate anchors, then apply RTP components back to use grouping.

Tom

Lohrion likes this.
  35. Lohrion

Lohrion

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, that fixed it!

36. icewuerfel

icewuerfel

Hello Tom
    I have a problem with RTP. Layer 1-4 looks good but layer 5-8 have a shadow. What is the reason for this?

The project is fresh and only RTP is installed. Unity 5.4.0
    Configuration and the problem : problem.jpg
    best regards,
    icewuerfel

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not really a bug, but a feature :). This is so called "fake AO" on edges between layers 0-3 and 4-7. You should be able to tweak it in RTP/Settings/Main.

Tom

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

Just found that RTP3.3e update mentioned is ready to take on AssetStore.

Tom

39. icewuerfel

icewuerfel

Ahh ok, but I can not disable it. I have disabled it in first pass and add pass. After the recompile it is still to be seen.

icewuerfel

40. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

I have a problem, when I change my material in terrain settings to "Custom" so I can use RTP, it turns the entire terrain pink and I can't see any textures at all. I am using Terrain Composer 2 to set up my splats and everything, but then this problem occurred and I can't seem to find a fix. :confused:

41. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi @tomaszek , I'm testing the new update 3.3e, I finally get rid of pink shader and compilation problems, seems that now you can enable any amount of features on the shader ;) but I'm still dealing with problems about how Unity/RTP shader handles firstpass/addpass forward/deferred or whatever, I'll try to explain the situation the most detailed I can:

I'm using now 8-layers in firstpass feature, I currently have only 5 layers, but I guess it doesn't matter, I don't need the 3 extra layers (and I know, anyways I'm not saving performance), also using Tessellation. the problem is that the terrain is like being rendered multiple times, when I take a look at the frame debugger:

-RenderDeferred.GBuffer (takes 17 drawcalls and renders the terrain)
    - a bunch of draw calls for RenderDeferred.Lightning (shadow maps, RenderDeferred.CombineDepthNormals)

-RenderForwardOpaque.Render (takes another 16 drawcalls to render AGAIN the terrain in forward)

-RenderDeferred.ForwardObjectsIntoDepthNormals
    ----ReplacementPass.Job (takes 16 drawcalls to do what seems to be an override of depth normals with the add pass (non tessellated) normals, this leads to glitches, popping, wrong depths and other problems (see the picture below)
    problem.jpg

so no matter what combination of features I use on RTPLodManager, I always end up with this kind of problem where the two versions of the terrain (first pass and add pass maybe) are fighting in the depth textures and also making wrong effects like this:

other problem.jpg

and popping / stuttering like this:
    output_wfqvoz.gif

also I've figured out that the base map distance, when set to zero, makes the "second time" render to dissapear, but this setting is automatically set to 2000 by RTP each time I do a change on RTP component, and also makes the normal mapping and other features dissapear, so, can you explain to me what's happening with all this? I was hoping that using 8-layers in first pass feature will make the entire terrain with all its features render in one single pass in one single render job, but that seems to not be the case :(

cheers!

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to look at which shader has been attached to the custom material used on terrain. It has no shader attached or shader used has compilation errors. I would need any info (console output or ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader view from shader inspector). to tell more.

Tom

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

Looks like terrain is rendered using 2 passes. You need to be aware that addpass is always rendered in forward (even if camera is deferred) because its alpha-fade blending pass - that's why a lot of additional steps are reported in frame debugger (we need depths, shadow receivers first to be separately rendered unlike in deferred where "shadow receiver" pass is not needed - Unity takes depth from gbuffer cameratarget render texture).

So - setup terrain with exactly 8 layers first. I believe this might be the problem RTP does not know it should be skept. For 8 layers mode we use basemap shader because we can't prevent Unity from drawing addpass (for layers 4-7) otherwise. That's why problem is not visible when you manualy set basemap distance to 0. RTP overwrites it then (thinking it's 4+4 setup). With tessellation you need to use "full shadow pass" to get synced depth buffer/shadow caster. For some postDXes that rely on depth/normals (not only depths) RTP gives no output, because there is no RTP tessellation shader defined in depth/normals replacement shader (we would need rtp teggaed dedicated subshader there).

Tom

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Then it might be effect of crosspass handling within 8 layers mode we can ask RTP to not handle blending (cheaper shading with simplier rnaching) between layers 0-3 and 4-7 but use global normalmap to solve it. Uncheck "don't overlap" layers below 8 layers mode checked in firstpass options in LD manager or provide it with better global colormap (can te taken from detail layers colors so your problem could be better solved).

Tom

45. Knightmore

Knightmore

Hey,
    I just updated to 3.3e and now I get some strange artifacts with the wetness options.
    I better just show what happens:

Water Sand.png
    Water Global.png

In 3.3d I had normal water effects, but now the whole terrain gets this milky white color on its waterlevel.
    What could have happened?

Patrick

46. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

Unity 5.4.2F2 errors when importing RTP

there are too many errors for me to paste but here are a few.

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs(800,71): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' does not contain a definition for `sRGBTexture' and no extension method `sRGBTexture' of type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs(807,66): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' does not contain a definition for `textureCompression' and no extension method `textureCompression' of type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs(809,63): error CS0103: The name `TextureImporterCompression' does not exist in the current context

and many more. this is the recent 5.4.2F2 F2 not F1

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

Seems like Unity gave you Unity5.5 version ... I submitted RTP3.3e from both Unity5.4.0f3 and Unity5.5.0b6. On AssetStore there are two 3.3e package versions. So - as you import package from Unity5.4.2.f2 you should get first package. Maybe import package on fresh project (makes no sense to me but maybe do it on U5.4.0f3 as well) and see, you could copy ReliefPack folder after import to U5.4.2.

I believe I haven't change water calculations from 3.3d to 3.3e. Maybe some parameter got broken during update and water gives NaNs output. Had something liek this before. Try w/o any postFXes - dots would be then black (for example tonemapper is applied to sceneview). Can you try on fresh project in used Unity version, enable water, recomile and check if this happens ? I remember I played with water to check if it works.

Tom

48. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

its ok now. i deleted them from asset store folder and downloaded, imported again. np now.

49. Knightmore

Knightmore

Okay tried it with a complete fresh project. It only has RTP, my terrain heightmap, colormap, normalmap and my textures.
    Here are the results.
    This one with Forward Rendering:
    Water Sand.png

This one with Deferred Rendering (and Light for Deferred Script on directional light):
    Water Global.png

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can't reproduce your issue. Turned on water on my example scene (with RTP3.3e on Unity5.4.0f3). Must be something specific to your setup then. Give me Unity version, look again at verinfo.txt file after importing RTP (I mark there exact Unity version I submited package from). exact LOD manager setup, number of layers used.

Tom