Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hoorray, RTP is on 24h sale now. Tell you friends :).

Tom

Firlefanz73 and docsavage like this.
  2. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

Can this be used for a minecraft-style game? So no only Change parts of the landscape with holes etc, but changing a lot in real time, totally digging the whole world, building stuff and writing this to disk?
    Change the world in real time and saving it, loading it next time?

I am using a voxel-engine called "UniBlocks". Works with voxels in chunks.
    Maybe I could even mix it, using my Buildings and my build mode still with uniblocks,
    but use yours for the landscape? This would mean I can dig and create Underground stuff in your landscape?

How large would a world be that is around 6000x6000 meters (voxels in my old case) with 200 meters of height?

Is it possible to have water (/lava) flowing if you have a hole or a cave with water Standing over it?

Thanks a lot!

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Many questions to answer at once :). You can use RTP on any voxel mesh. If this mesh provide coverage on vertex colors you can use it. If it doesn't you can rely on automatic coverage basing on normals (so cliffs are covered by rock texture, tops covered by grass, etc.)

It doesn't matter if you change mesh realtime.

You can't dig in RTP terrain - it's simply Unity terrain and RTP is used to render it with better texturing. You can make a holes in unity terrain using RTP though (see my youtube channel). Then you can merge Unity terrain with "cave" mesh.

RTP can show surface water, it doesn't support water plane mesh if you ask about it.

Tom

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks a lot for the Infos :)

5. Metatronic

Metatronic

I have found rtp to be a must have tool for terrains, been building up my expertise with it little by little. I use the UV blending extensively for removing tiling artifacts, but it seems to me the far blend replace slider needs an additional slider for Far Blend spread. I bring this up because at least for me, I want to set the far replace to be nearly transparent close to the camera and trail off using the Far Blend replace. What is happening is I can see it is trailing off starting at around 300 feet and scaling off via the slider starting from that point. I am using typically scaled terrains.
    I need to be able to control where the far replace distance starts. The way it is right now may look good for fractal looking terrain. But it makes the near detail textures too noisy looking when up close with clean looking terrain such as mowed grass. Don't need any tile artifact removal at these close distances.

6. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Does this support consoles like PS4?

7. Crembo

Crembo

Bought it on the sale! Can't wait to play around with it + Gaia!

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

Don't have the hardware to test, but I assume it works on PS4 (this is what I have been reported by a few PS4 users).

Tom

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Far replace is set at far distance - it is supposed to start where you set it via RTP/Settings/Perlin normal slider.

Tom

10. KarelA

KarelA

Haha. Your support is really quick. I deleted the comment but you managed to answer it already. This was my own mistake. I did not have the latest RTP. Updated to the latest version and droplets were working perfectly.

Thanks again.

11. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Hi Tom,

Is there any way for me to isolate the wetness and snow features on multiple terrains from one another?

Currently both terrains are stored in separate gameobjects so they don't affect each other. However, if I raise the "snow" value on one terrain, the other also receives snow.

Is there a way to cut this connection?

Here the problem is illustrated:

Thanks

12. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all, I have been looking forward to getting this asset for a while, now I am at the stage of the project to use it.

Trying to take in the tutorials etc... but initially adding RTP to my pre-made terrain removes all height and I am left with a flat plane. Any idea what I have missed?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  13. tomaszek

tomaszek

The only easy solution I see for the 2nd terrain is to reduce snow level per layer (damp it off on each layer on 2nd terrain where you don't want to have snow)

With default setup it shouldn't happen (unless I forgot to turn off tessellation). Flat terrain will appear when you set tesssellation and didn't provide height&normals texture.

Tom

14. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

I have upgrade to U5.4.0f3 and tried it both with and without atlasing but it makes no difference. I have tried a few other things like swapping in the default perlin noise texture but that made no difference.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've tested RTP3.3d on U5.4.0.f3. Seems to work. Made 2 terrains - copied example terrain that hs 8 layers. Then I added tyerrain copy to scene and applied RTP component. Adjusted perlin texture (changed it to something else for test). Going into play mode doesn't break anything - perlin texture is present on both terrains no matter which one is selected (or none) when I click play.

To know what happens when you click terrain (after being in play mode where you have it broken). RTP takes material that's assigned to terrain (every terrain tile should have different material) and applies all properties/textures to it. Looks like after you hit play perlin texture (placed in RTP/Combined texture/special) reference get broken. When you select terrain RTP fixes it again. Before you go into play mode you might try to make all refences "more solid" having them references to project assets not scene objects which my vanish in least expected moent. So - save you combined perlin texture in RTP/Combined textures/special - or simply take my texture from example scene which is already saved and place it on every terrain tile in RTP/Combined textures/special. RTP shader uses this texture (combined), not one you see in RTP/Settings/Perlin normals which is only source texture combined by RTP in RG channels.

To conclude - for some mysterious reason reference to combined texture in RTP/Combined textures/special vanish when you click play. Saving it should help. Otherwise I don't have a clue what could be the reason on your side.

Tom

16. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

That works!!!!!

No idea why my set-up had this problem but as long as I have a solution I am very happy.
    Thanks Tom for your persistence and great support.

Ronan

17. SharkFace

SharkFace

Is there a limit to the total number of textures/materials that can be used on a single terrain? I get that you can do up to 8 in a single draw call, but can you do up to, say 24 (presumably in 3 draw calls?)

18. topofsteel

topofsteel

WebGL

What do I need to do to get RTP to work in a WebGL build? I found an example build from quite a while ago (link below).

I posted some time ago about a compile error, commenting out line 1018 in ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs, a call to ProceduralMaterial(), fixed that. It's actually in a platform dependent #if statement that wasn't catching. While searching for updated information this time I came across a post

http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/RTP3.2dWebGL/index.html

19. Metatronic

Metatronic

Well I have tried all of that, including "Near distance values" sliders start and fade in Settings/Main

Below is an example of the problem, it is subtle, but annoying. Look for the square marks in the fairway near the front.
    These are square patches that pop in and out as you move the camera around. I understand this to be the shader bringin and out the detail textures from a distance. I can certainly move that abrupt change forward and backward relative to the viewport. But the pop is always there. I never get any kind of "fade" with the fade length. I imagine it is only noticable with very clean textures such as the grass here.

20. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Unfortunately the snow settings are spread across every terrain. If I edit the snow layer for the first texture on my terrain, it also applies to the first texture on other terrains. We want to be able to isolate this for our game.

Wetness appears to work on individual terrains perfectly, but snow does not. Is there a fix? Or maybe a patch sometime in the future?

21. Josh-0

Josh-0

Someone mind explaining to me the differences and similarities between UBER and RPT? Are they redundant in any way and how do they complement each other?

And, I know Vertex Tools Pro is a different dev, but does anyone know how that product compares to UBER? They seem to both be their own shaders with vertex colors, but do they work with each other or are they completely different beasts?

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do good terrain with blended materials.

22. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

Can't figure out how to get this to work. I did indeed drop the script on the terrain and i was asked to choose the features etc, however there is no option in the inspector at all to regenerate...like it states in the manual.

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

In RTP3 it is 8 in sum. In next releases I will try to remove mist constraints.

I think I fixed this already in newest release, but I might be wrong. I will try to check this next week when I am back at work.

Looks more like far distace shader does not match regular one. Might be discrepancy in these shaders. Maybe recompiling them in LOD manager would help?
    Place both terrains in separate transforms then add rtp component. You can steer these terrains independently then.

Rtp is meant mostly for terrains (not limited to though) while uber is like unity standard shader expanded. Vertex tools have vertex color painter which can go with uber. Rtp is up to 4 layer shader (controlled by vertex colors). Uber has regular and 2 layer versions.

Tom

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Shader and features management is placed in separate game object LOD manager where you select features and recompile shaders.

Tom

25. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

Yes, LOD Manager shows on the side when i dropped the script, In there are the feauters and stuff, But no option to recompile.

26. Rowlan

Rowlan

How well does this perform in VR with the HTC Vive / Oculus Rift? I need at least 90fps stable. Is that possible with a gtx 970 / 980? Or better yet: is there a Unity demo that one can download and try?

27. Metatronic

Metatronic

Well I have tried recompiling the shaders, no luck. It's not mipmaps because the the popping is controlled by RTP start values. I think it is simply a difference between the near/far shader calculation. But it does look like in every case the far shader is just slightly darker than the near shader. Any chance to just put in a brightness slider that affects the far shader only. Then I can just dial out the issue.

I think this always existed, you just cant see it on anything except a very homogenous clean texture that stretchs the entire length into the near/far regions. You can't see this happening on the dirt textures.

28. Quen

Quen

This depends on your scene... I have a huge landscape in oculus rift running with RTP really smoothly on a gtx 780. Things get bad when I add a lot trees and other detailed meshes that cast shadows. Things like that are bottlenecks, never experienced RTP to cause bad performance. Works great in VR for me.

29. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look here - someone gave his LOD manager setup for comparison and maintencance. On the left screen we see green button "Recompile shaders for given features set". Don't you have it ?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-102#post-2739422

Gtx 980 - easily, BUT you need to consider terrain is not the only factor. Where are your vegetation, details, objects, game logic, audio placed in [ms] per frame budget ? Basic features set in RTP (not that expensive like POM with soft self-shadowing for example) are not supposed to take more than 3-6ms on such powerfull GPU. Rest is placed on side of Unity, not RTP - shadows, lighting (in deferred, in forward RTP should behave a bit faster because I use simplified lighting model for more convincing specularity on distaant terrain parts). What makes this slow is also CPU hit, which can be reduced in RTP using tessellation feature (reduce drawcalls and refine terrain shape on GPU).

Tom

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

Next week I'll be back working. Drop me a line on private message and we will make an appointment on skype screenshare session to detect what's the issue in your particular case.

Tom

31. topofsteel

topofsteel

My post wasn't clear at all, looks like I posted it before I was finished or something.

Regarding the compile error, I'm still getting it. Changing 'UNITY_WEB_GL' to 'UNITY_WEBGL' in line 1809 of 'ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs' fixes that.

The problem I'm working on is after I build to WebGL and test it, the terrain is all black. Works fine in the editor. How do I need to set it up to successfully publish to WebGL? Thanks.

webgl_01.png webgl_02.png

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you. There isn't a demo available with an example terrain? I've bought so much recently only to find out that I'll never use it because of bad performance, bad usability, bad details, bad animation, false advertising etc. The Unity sales policy with no refund is very disappointing. So I'd rather try first if possible.

33. ldl01031

ldl01031

Hi Tom. I'm using TC2 and RTP 3.3d. I just created a new terrain (SpeedTrees) and I'm getting these errors:

ReliefTerrain.Awake () (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs:199)ReliefTerrain.RefreshTextures (UnityEngine.Material mat, Boolean check_weak_references) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs:263)ReliefTerrain.InitTerrainTileSizes () (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs:184)UnityEngine.Renderer.get_bounds () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GraphicsBindings.gen.cs:1031)You probably need to add a Renderer to the game object "Tree Output". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.MissingComponentException: There is no 'Renderer' attached to the "Tree Output" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    Is this a TC2 issue, an RTP issue, or a 'me' issue ? :) Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP component assumes you have it attached to terrain object or object that has mesh renderer. Maybe it got attached to gameobject (transform) that is for example parent for terrain objects (thus it doesn't have its own terrain nor renderer) ?

Tom

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Will look into this next week. Currently I don't have access to my work PC.

As I don't have VR hardware is it possible to make build for you ? Could you guide me ? I might make my example scene built for you and put somewhere for download.

Tom

36. Crembo

Crembo

Hello Tomasz, still playing around with RTP - made some really pretty terrains - but I have two issues. First is some sort of "banding" in the direction the light is coming from that I can't figure out how to get rid of, and second is - I'm making time-of-day system and I want to change water caustics color in realtime, but changing ReliefTerrain.globalSettingsHolder.TERRAIN_CausticsColor doesn't do anything even if I call ReliefTerrain.globalSettingsHolder.Refresh()

terrainbanding.JPG

37. Rowlan

Rowlan

That would be great, but I don't know if that works. If you wish, we can try. Valve & Unity did an awesome job on that. Basically all you have to do is download SteamVR from the Asset store:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/32647

and replace the MainCamera (or disable it) with the CameraRig object from the SteamVR prefab folder.

Also, you should get a HTC Vive, VR is really the next big thing, especially with room scale movement. It's awesome to literally "live" in the stuff you create ;)

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi,

Banding is related to Unity's shadow system (disabling shadows you will also disable banding). Try to reduce shadow distance and shadow casters - if you have shadow caster 5000 away - forget, you'll see such terribly low-res bading in shadows received upclose). You can also tweak a bit shadow params of your light (bias, resolution)...

Changing caustics color from editor works ? You could dig into ReliefTerrainEditor.cs and find line where this param (color) is set (Ctrl+F - look for slider label for example will allow you to quickly locate the place i code). Also - some parameters are injected to material when you call RefreshAll() function instead of Refresh(). RefreshAll() is more expensive though. Workaround might be locating the right param passed to terrain material by RefreshAll() call and doing it directly in your code (only for this particular parameter, not for all).

Tom

39. Crembo

Crembo

Even setting shadow distance to 100 does not get rid of banding. Maybe something else is wrong?

Also, I solved the caustics problem by calling Refresh(null, terrainRef) instead of just Refresh()

40. Killersan

Killersan

Hey. You should probably check ReliefTerrainEditor.cs script and change values there, because normally you can put only values with 50 max which is sometimes not enough.

ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:
    checkChange(ref _target.distance_start, EditorGUILayout.Slider("Distance start", _target.distance_start, 0, 200));
    if (_target.distance_start_bumpglobal < _target.distance_start) _target.distance_start_bumpglobal = _target.distance_start;
    checkChange(ref _target.distance_transition, EditorGUILayout.Slider("Fade length", _target.distance_transition, 0, 200));

After that You will be able to raise that values from RTP attached to Your terrain and that squares will disappear, but keep in mind that You will lose some distance blending (tiling preventing) but as I can see in Your case it won't be a problem.
    Hopefully it will help.

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's Unity shadow system... (using unity default terrain shader will look exactly the same in regards to banding). Large environments are very prone to such effect. Unity announced they work on reverse floating point depth buffers in next releases to improve it.

Something didn't get injected to material, or you've got a few scenes with different number of layers used (on one you've got 8 which is rendered in 2 passes, on the other you've got 4 layers which is in 1 pass), or it's due to WebGL differences. Can you try to make a build to standalone or webplayer and check if it's the same problem in build ? Please give me your exact setup of LOD manager, # of layers (4/8), lighting, then I can try to reproduce your issue.
    I remember we've already got each other on skype. You can catch me your morning and work over the issue interactively maybe. Should be faster to solve. It's also possible that there might a feature requested from RTP that's not possible to get working in WebGL (it's pretty limited target platform).

Tom

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

Downloaded SteamVR from assetstore and replaced camera with the component provided. I'm not sure if I placed correctly componenets I had on my camera (fps metering, handling of command buffers, etc.) I placed it on most nested camera (I see main camera - orthographic and nested eye cam - perspective - that's where I placed my stuff). Made a DX11 Win64 build. Going into play mode works, but I've got info about not installed SteamVR (this is probably runtime I need to install as this is mentioned on assetstore info). I hope you will get it working.

http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/VR_Build.zip

Tom

43. frostORG91

frostORG91

Hello!

I'm having trouble here using UBER 1.1b on Unity Pro 5.3.6f1.

When I select for example the Specular shader for an object everything turns pink and I get these errors:

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/ Core': failed to open source file: '../Includes/UBER_StandardCore.cginc' at line 571 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF UNITY_HDR_ON _WETNESS_NONE
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

And:

Shader error in 'UBER - Metallic Setup/ Core': failed to open source file: '../Includes/UBER_StandardCore.cginc' at line 571 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF UNITY_HDR_ON _WETNESS_NONE
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

Why is this happening and how could I fix this?

44. Crossway

Crossway

Lately I bought Alloy shaders pack but now I have a big problem. before I was using "RTP Deferred Shading" on the graphics section and everything was good (I mean specular on the ground was correct) but now I should replace Alloy Deferred Shading instead of RTP Deferred Shading. now I have a lot amount of specular on my terrain. is there any other way to control that specular on the ground?
    I don't need any specular on my ground.

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

In deferred specularity model (and overall lighting with diffuse) is globalised. Follow this discussion:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-21#post-2760562

The only way would be to urender terrain in forward, because in deferred it's all or tnohing - all deferred objects use the same lighting (from the deferred shader specified).

Tom

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

Check if missing file is actually placed there relatively to your shader (includes are in UBER/Shaders/Include). Looks like there is something missing or your shader is relatively in different place. So - Open Unity 5.3.6f1. Fresh project. Open assetstore and download/import/install UBER. Check UBER example scene (the shader which on your side gives the problem is used on cube with animated emission). It should work.

Tom

P.S. UBER forum thread is here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/

47. Crossway

Crossway

Is there a way to combine this with Alloy deferred shading?

Or is that possible to totally remove all specularity effects on this shader? I don't need any gloss or specularity for a terrain shader. (also No specularity option on _RTP_LODmanager doesn't do the job!)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  48. Rowlan

Rowlan

Wow, thank you very much! You seriously have to get a Vive. I get the 90 fps which is great. I literally stand on your mountain and look down that hole in the demo. It's very awesome, as if you were there! Definitely getting RTP v3! :D

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

no specularity doesn't work in deferred, because in deferred everything uses the same lighting model - globalised. Look at this discussion, which is closely related to your issue (it's about using custom deferred lighting shader like RTP's UBER's or Alloy's):

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-21#post-2760562

following 3-4 posts should give you a hint (render terrain using forward - noforwardadd keyword added in all RTP shaders where you've got #pragma surface directive). By now it needs to be done manually. At some point I will think about giving such option when you configure shader.

Tom

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

That was my hope - to win yet another user :). Also - I hope you can get working Parallax Occlusion Mapping with stereoscophy. A long time ago somebody tested RTPv3.0 against oculusRift - results were described as "breath taking". If you get those 90fps with POM self-shadowing turned on - I'm pretty satisfied (and not surprised that much - I optimized it a lot back in time when developed RTP to work decent using nVidia GT240, not GTX980...)

Tom