Search Unity

Relief maps with self-shadowing

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cblarsen, May 21, 2008.

1. cblarsen

cblarsen

Edit Nay 25: Should now work on more cards, particularly X800 Package also included again.
    Please let me know, if it doesn't run on your Shader Model 2 compatible graphics card

Webplayer (1.1 MB):
    http://proglet.com/software/Relief_Pro/Relief_Pro_0_0_5.html

Note: You can play with some settings by hitting <TAB> in the webplayer.

The package is included below.
    Edit: ONLY WORKS ON PRO
    For Indie users, I previously posted a simpler version without shadows: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=10927

To use:
    - Create a userdefined layer (I have used layer 8 and called it ReliefObjects)
    - Create an object with a renderer attached
    - Put the object on the ReliefObjects layer
    - set the material to use the Relief/Pro/Spec shader
    - Attach the "Relief" script to the object
    - Set the "Shadow light" variable to point to an object. The nearest light would be a good one.

The shader will look weird in the editor view or the game view, if they are both open, and you may have to maximize the game view (to hide the editor view) for the effect to work properly.

The self-shadowing only works with one light. The calculated shadow is applied to all pixel lighting.

Attached Files:

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That looks really amazing. Alas, the webplayer doesn't work on my X800. Instead, I get black lines and noise artifacts, and flickering rectangles. None of the controls seem to have any effect. The indie version worked without issues, and while it's still amazing, it's not quite as amazing as this version looks. ;)

--Eric

Attached Files:

3. StarManta

StarManta

I only see a pink background on my Macbook :/

Needs more fallback shaders?

4. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

MBP - all great.
    The floor looks painful to walk on... I kinda cringed as I walked around.

5. cblarsen

cblarsen

Damn. I had similar problems earlier on myself because of a race condition. Trouble is, if the GPU is deeply pipelined, the result of the first trace passes are not written to texture memory before the next pass tries to read the intermediate results. I solved it on my machine by actually having separate camera render calls for each phase.

Or it might just be an X800 bug :(

Have you tried switching all options off, so you just have the most simple trace?

Actually it should fallback to bumped specular. That works fine under emulation.
    I should probably do some more explicit checking of the intermediate shaders and switch the main shader, if one of them fails.

6. cblarsen

cblarsen

For those who had problems running this demo, please try again. I probably over-optimized a bit too much the first time around.
    A number of fallback shaders more in the style of the indie version are now included.

If the demo doesn't run on your machine, please try checking the console log, and see if it says anything.

Note that fragment shaders are necessary for the effect to work, but it should at least fallback nicely.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Awesome! Works fine on my iMac w/ X1600.

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

No problems here. MBP Peryn Generation, OSX 10.5.2

Looks very nice, thank you for sharing :)

This kind of things is what makes me consider Unity Pro even more than I already do ... dooohhh :?

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Didn't they ship a new graphics card with that one?

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

NVIDIA 8600M GT 256MB here

Given you had 256MB before they would be identical.

13. cblarsen

cblarsen

Hmm. On paper, your card should be capable.
    I can' teally figure out version numbers on graphics cards, but I believe that x1600 is newer than R9000, which works under emulation.

Do you see any error messages in the log?

I think this type of problem might have to do with timing, pipelining and stuff like that. I am going to start a thread in ShaderLab about it.

14. chiefbobo

chiefbobo

That is just plain cool. Nice work. My crappy work computer has an ancient vid card with 64 MB of VRAM but it can still run this at the "fast" setting. And it looks great! (Sure I'm only pulling 3 fps, but at least it runs!)

Please keep working on this idea. This is major. Thanks for sharing.

15. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

This is from my console (Intel Core Duo 2 MBP with ATI X1600 graphics):

Code (csharp):
    1. np_entry: NP_Initialize called
    2. np_entry: NP_GetEntryPoints called
    3. 080522 09:30:48 Datafile [url]http://proglet.com/software/Relief_Pro/Relief_Pro.unity3d[/url]
    4. 080522 09:30:48 Loading Unity Player
    5. 080522 09:30:48 loader: unity function UnityBundleStart load failed
    6. 080522 09:30:48 loader: unity function UnityBundleSetupScreen2 load failed
    7. Player: init engine
    8. 080522 09:30:51 Loader: Start Success
    9. host: proglet_2ecom Pref folder: /Users/ImAUser/Library/Preferences

16. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... and I'll add that I don't have this problem with my 17" iMac that uses the same graphics chip. I've posted a bug report on the off chance that it might be a Unity issue rather than an Apple drivers issue.

17. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

You should never run into such race conditions (assuming proper drivers). Basically, whenever driver sees that some operation will need result of something that is "still being rendered", it stalls until it gets the result.

However, if you're doing something that is undefined by it's nature, for example rendering into a texture while reading from the same texture, then all bets are off. That particular case would depend on GPU speed, rasterization pattern, moon phase and whatnot.

18. cblarsen

cblarsen

Ok. I thought I might get away with it, if I never looked at neighbouring pixels. (Yeah the depth-blur shader does do that after all).

To anybody else listening: I am going to try a ping-pong technique with two rendertextures that Aras suggested in ShaderLab. I'll probably get the time for it within a day or two.

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Just thought I'd chime in and say that this looks quite cool indeed. Nice work!

20. Yann

Yann

Doesn't work here : I tried everything to escape from this welcoming place, but with no success :evil:

Seriously, it works perfectly (iMac alu 24', Radeon HD2600). Thanks a lot for sharing your amazing work ! :D

21. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Sah-weet! Awesome job.

22. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Not working on my desktop (nVidia 7800 GTX). Walls just look like diffuse textures with no shadowing/shading. They do some strange popping though.

23. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Too bad i cannot test this stunning shader (still missin UnityPro)...
    I can a imagine a thousand cool things to do with this code-beauty.

Really great work!!!

I am looking forward to utilize this as soon as possible ;)

Cheers Frank

24. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

43 fps on my x1600 MBP. Very cool!

25. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Huh, yet on my x1600 MBP it looks like the attached screenshot. I'm running 10.4.11 and double checked software update to make sure I'm current.

Attached Files:

26. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

No errors.

27. cblarsen

cblarsen

Ok, BigKahuna and AngryAnt, I think I know what is happening on your machines. Please try this one:

Edit: Link removed. Go to the first post in the thread for an up-to-date version

I haven't updated the package yet. First I want to see, if this works.

28. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Whatever you did, it fixed it! Looks cool and I'm getting roughly 50 fps on my MBP.

29. cblarsen

cblarsen

Goody. It was Aras, who told me, that I was using some reserved variables in a wrong way.

Are the 50 fps fullscreen? Because in the webplayer window, the rate is usually capped at 50 fps.

30. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Oops, yeah you're right but full screen isn't getting me faster frame rates. "Fast" setting gets 20-23 fps full screen and roughly 50 fps windowed. "Medium" gets roughly 18 fps full screen and 40-43 fps windowed.

31. louis

louis

Windows XP - SeaMonkey Browser - NVidia GeForce 8600GT
    Same result with both the html versions:

32. cblarsen

cblarsen

Thanks for testing. I am currently working with Eric5h5 to fix some more problems, and so far we are progressing, so no need for more tests right now. A new version will be coming.

33. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Fix version working. The rendering is a bit fuzzy around the edges of the shadows through.

34. cblarsen

cblarsen

I think at least some of that is because the heightmap was made by an amateur texture artist. On the walls for example, the edges of the stones are actually as jagged as the shadow looks.

35. cblarsen

cblarsen

Ok. Latest version ready.
    The link is in the first post in the thread.

It contains

- Fixes for ATI X800
    Thanks to Eric5h5 for helping me debug on the X800
    - Better precision at sharp angles
    - 5 "debug spheres" that illustrate the intermediate steps of the shader in the texture buffer.

Yes, you have to look closely to see the difference between the leftmost three.

Package also included again.

Let me know if your gfx card still has problems. Or if problems have returned.

36. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Seems to work equally well on both my 17" iMac x1600 and 15" MBP x1600, but you removed the relief map from the floor, right?

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

Works worse than the initial one at least unless I missed the "line per line" shadowing on the rounded parts where the shadow is meant to fall.

38. cblarsen

cblarsen

@Bigkahuna: Yep, I turned if off on the floor. It _did_ look painful to walk on.

The spheres were not in the original. And I can see what you mean. It is a common problem with shadowing, that calculations become badly defined when the direction to the light is at a 90 degree angle to the surface normal. You see similar types of problems with the built-in shadows.

Something for me to think about.

39. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Looking very nice now. Great piece of work.

40. cblarsen

cblarsen

41. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

0.0.6 looks better. The effect displays more clearly.

Really good work!

Cheers

Frank

42. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Try using Firefox or Safari. I don't think the browser would really make a difference, but it could be that they run the plug-in differently.

43. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Same here.

Nvidia 8600 GTS Dual SLI

44. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

45. cblarsen

cblarsen

Well, based on this screenshot, it looks as if it is hardly running at all. As if perhaps rendertextures were disabled. Do you know if you have rendertextures working in e.g. projects that use reflective/refractive water?

46. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I'm running on a windows box. Send me links to any players you want to see screenshots for.

It's possible my graphics card is just lacking a minor capability. Since I can run Crysis decently.

47. cblarsen

cblarsen

In the island demo
    http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/tropical-paradise

the water should look something like this (with reflections)

And I think your graphics card is plenty powerful. But I think there was some problem with some Nvidia drivers leaking memory (and therefore getting rendertextures disabled). Just wanted to check if that was it. If not, probably a bug in my code.

Attached Files:

48. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

The terrain reflects in the water beautifully.

49. cblarsen

cblarsen

Well, I guess I have a bug then.
    I don't expect to have time to look at it anytime soon, but if I do fix it, the fix will be posted to this thread.

50. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

You know it could be an issue with your shader pipeline. Maybe you are referencing a parameter in the fragment program that wasn't initialized or passed through the vertex program.

I've noticed when you do that, you'll see weird camera effects.