Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relic - Webplayer (Weekly Updates)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ben-Massey, Feb 8, 2012.

?

This looks...

1. Awesome!

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Good.

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. Alright..

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Bad.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Relic is a first person shooter experience that drives of community feedback. For now i am just focusing on the core gameplay and trying to make it as fun as possible!

Here is what i have come up with so far, be sure to let me know what you think, make sure you check out the in-game menu for the controls and other information. Dont forget this is a work in progress and there is much to be improved!

Aim of this game type:
    Defend those generators!

WEBPLAYER - 1024x600
    * UNAVAILABLE *

Dont forget to keep checking back for updates!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. TehWut

TehWut

The style and everything looks really good! Ran a little choppier on my computer (definitely no rig) but it still played better than usual webplayers. The graphics and level design are great. There seemed to be some swaying issues (randomly is on left side of screen) but maybe this was due to the choppiness of my computer. I didn't find anything wrong with it, and I hope you continue this project! Note: I think the weapons could use a little more kick in their animations, but maybe that's just me used to playing Counter Strike! overall very good job one of the better Unity projects I've seen.

3. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Thanks very much for the feedback!
    As far as the gun swaying goes, it's all code based with no animations. It's a bit buggy as you said but it will all be replaced with an arm rig and real animations :)

4. SevenBits

SevenBits

I love it! It was brilliantly done, and I love the art style!

Kudos all around!

5. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Update:
    + Lightmaps
    + Xbox360 Controller Support
    + Upgrades/Ammo
    + Icons

Let me know if the resolution is to big for your monitor!

6. ivanzu

ivanzu

Very good job!I like the graphics but you should put a limit on the number of npc because it sometimes freezes until it loads them up or if the number of npc is too big.

7. Norrtec

Norrtec

I loved it, it's a pretty great game! The graphics are awesome, and I really love the GUI, it looks great. Like ivanzu said, I was experiencing some lag as the number of npcs increased, so maybe you could introduce an npc cap based on the players level, game time, difficulty, etc. Also, although I think you just haven't implemented it yet, graphics options in the menu would be helpful, especially for people like me who are poor and can't afford a nice rig. :p Anyways, like I said, it's a great game, and I'm really excited to see where you go with it.

8. spy60694

spy60694

It is a really amazing game, reminds me a lot of Halo. Which isn't bad cause I love Halo. Are you planning on implementing multiple weapon types? As well it has a bug where I shoot like for a couple seconds and I run out of ammo but it says I still have some clips but it won't let me reload. It didn't lag much for me, and I'm on probably the slowest laptop in the world. Which is good cause if it loaded about that fast on multiplayer it would be awesome. Though the game is a little twitchy here and there, it looks fantastic, and I hope that the project goes really far.

What kind of story are you planning to add to it?

9. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

This project is heavily influenced by the halo series. Its still a wip as i said early hence all the bugs. Im trying to com-plete as much as possible but i dont have much time anymore what with school and all.
    Thanks for checking it out :)

10. GrimWare

GrimWare

I like the loading screen. Do you need a pro version to accomplish that?

11. spy60694

spy60694

Yeah it's really amazing. Can't wait to see what the final looks like.

12. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Thanks, someone said to add more objects to take cover behind which im working on now :)

13. Marc S

Marc S

Nice and promising game.

Only glitch, you should reduce the mouse sensitivity on aiming mode because it is really hard to be precise with it.

14. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Added a better a system, waves, etc.
    Gameplay is alot more fluent. I also added varies props.

15. tmanallen

tmanallen

Beast!!!!! Graphics, gameplay and sound. Keep up the great work.

16. TehWut

TehWut

I'm glad to say that the gameplay is WAY smoother since the last time I played it, less glitchy and much more polished! All the luck to your project! I did not notice any glitches this time. They style of art really works too.

17. spy60694

spy60694

I love the new updates, for a new map you should go to like a different planet or whatever, with maybe introduction to some more type of enemy units

18. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'll have to try the new update soon. Looks like it's getting somewhere with these improvements, and it was great the first time.

19. Trackpants

Trackpants

Looks so aesthetically pleasing! well done so far!

20. coin-god

coin-god

I love it. I also like the leveling system!

21. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Thank you guys! Keep checking back for more updates, i continuously update the file! :)

22. Prion Games

Prion Games

Looking great Ben keep up the fantastic work. :)

23. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Been adding some effects to make the game pretty :)
    Updated the demo once again,

24. spy60694

spy60694

can't wait for any new versions

25. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Here it is!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  26. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Here is an update!
    I recently found a talented 3d Modeller/Animator who can take care of all my weaknesses! Yay~!
    I wanted to get this game pumped out hopefully before the year so he will be of great use! Right now i know he is working on ai characters and the players arms.

Hopefully he will also be posting some of his works below me soon :)

27. spy60694

spy60694

hope to see some new versions soon

28. xniinja

xniinja

Looks like a mix of N.O.V.A and Halo

29. Meltdown

Meltdown

Nice work. I'm sure it will look a lot better at higher resolutions too. Perhaps have that as an option.
    Some loading/weapon switching animations would be nice, along with a bit of a head bob as the player walks/runs.

Scene 2 doesn't seem to load for me. Game seems frozen.
    A better skybox with some planets on it could look good. and perhaps some snow dust/storms with some ambient sounds.

30. smashanimations

smashanimations

Those animations im working on as we speak... i just finished the arm.. still undesided on the actual hand. however its practicly done.

here is the first art asset update.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlRYbNSNx8
    i will be doing them weekly so do subscribe ;D.

heres the fps arm at current state

once its fully done.. the animations will be added.

31. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Whoa, pretty colors man! Seriously.

32. smashanimations

smashanimations

heres what it may look like with the arm... its getting better as we speak.. animations being added also.

33. Eiznek

Eiznek

Looks really good, Game play seems smooth.

34. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

For those of you who haven't and even have played the demo, i suggest you try out the newer version, it is alot smoother! Be sure to upgrade at the machine and lock those generators!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  35. TehWut

TehWut

So great! The gameplay is very smooth and I am getting fantastic fps on my weaker machine. The visuals are there, and the animations with the arms are a nice improvement indeed!

36. Willster

Willster

Very nice indeed. You said you wanted some feedback, so I made a note of anything that occurred to me when I was playing. This isn't criticism, as I think the game is great, but there are a few things that weren't intuitive and took me a while to figure out and other thingws which I couldn't figure out at all. I played quite a lot (up to wave 14), to find as many bugs / glitches as I could and here is what I found:

XP does not rollover to the next level, so if you are at 3950/4000 and you grenade a whole bunch of the progency, you level up, but to 0/6000 (or whatever the actual number is) instead of 400/6000. You can lose quite a lot of XP this way.

It can become slightly laggy in later waves when you kill a lof of them with a grenade - seems to be the rag doll spawning that does it.

A lot of the progency in later waves spawn and fall through the floor - they get cleaned up after a while, but in the earlier waves you can be shot at through the floor and not be able to kill them.

The enemy path finding could do with a bit of updating, as you can bunch them up behind obstacles.

In the later waves with hundreds of them, I was getting shot through the terrain and nothing seemed to block their shots.

You have provided cover, but the crounch key doesn't work. I tried a few other keys, but couldn't find it.

It's not clear how the powerups work. Do they stack? E.G. if you get four hearts, then do you get four times the protection? The grenade x2 carry does not stack, which makes me wonder.

What's energy for? I couldn't work it out. Is that for the sprinting?

What's the guy's head image for in the top right corner? It's got a number, but I have no idea what it is. It's also very subtle and I didn't even see it for quite a while.

It wasn't clear until I'd played for quite a while that the credit for the shop comes from the figure in the bottom right hand corner, which again I didn't really notice as it's very subtle. Perhaps having this flash when you make a purchase would make it more obvious?

I like the levelling up, but what does it do for the player? Does it give him more health, more energy? There's nothing displayed to indicate what it relates to.

The second weapon being a pistol is an interesting choice. It's as accurate as the rifle, but slower. It would be nice if the pistol was the first weapon and had unlimited ammo, as a sort of fall back weapon, as once you run out of shop credit, you can't do anything at all, except get killed. I also felt the game could really benefit from having a long range sniper rifle type of weapon, that you could use to pick them off at the other end of the terrain.

I expected purchasing an ammo refill to be for all weapons, but that's fine the way it is. Maybe have seperate types of ammo you can buy?

The rifle running annimation is great, the pistol running animation is not so great.

And finally when you die (which I did a lot of) the screen goes redder, which is nice, but there is a slight glitch in that the screen clears to normal colour, before you are actually moved back to the start, so it looks like you have recovered mid batle, then you die.

I hope this feedback helps.

37. spy60694

spy60694

I played a while and eventually after you make a certain amount of purchases, even if you have enough money, that it doesn't let you buy anything, and then you just have to quit since you can't buy anything after dying either. aswell this glitch seems to happen if you buy 5 power upgrades, which i tried a couple times. these glitches i would prefer getting rid of in a newer version rather then adding new items, though a new weapon might be cool. but i'd rather you work on this glitch.

38. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Thanks a bunch for all the great feedback!
    As mentioned before this is a work in progress, so that basically explains everything that you wrote about. Not much i can really say im afraid other than it is a wip, constantly im trying to address all these features and make them really awesome for the user, but the lack of free time limits me to this.

Eventually, hopefully within the next 2 months all of these features will be long gone, thanks again

39. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

This is not a glitch, you are limited to 4 upgrade, hence not being able to purchase the 5th one. Dont worry all of this will be adressed later on :)

40. weskerslostbro

weskerslostbro

Bugs: If you buy a forcefield around your generator just before it blows up, the forcefield will remain and you can continue playing without losing.