Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking ReliableSequenced and disconnected peers (LLAPI)

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by NongBenz, Jun 1, 2015.

1. NongBenz

NongBenz

I'm having an issue where if a peer disconnects/timeouts and the server was still sending some reliable packets their way... these packets block the sending of any other packets behind them, even for other connections. So the whole server comes to a halt, and eventually Send fails because the send queue is full.

I cleanly remove the peer on disconnect and do NetworkTransport.Disconnect(...) on timeouts but this still occurs. Is there a way to manually flush the send queue for the disconnected peer?

Also, am I correct in assuming that Reliable Sequenced only grants sequenced packets per connection? It would be kind of silly to force sequence on every packet globally as one laggy player would lag the whole server but it seems that's what I'm experiencing.

Red_Kay, Ostwind and Whippets like this.
  2. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

Hm, actually send queues are independent. So it is probably bug... Could you please submit report about this with reproducing steps?

yes you are right everything granted per connection only...

NongBenz and Whippets like this.
  3. NongBenz

NongBenz

Hi I fixed the strange behavior by changing lowering the thread awake timeout, increasing message queue limits and enabling ReliableFragmented on the channel. Just confused on the difference between these..

ReactorMaximumReceived/SentMessages
    MaxSentMessageQueueSize
    Sent/ReceivedMessagePoolSize... (docs say this is bytes but default is really small at 128?)

I have over 100 NPCs and vehicle with custom items and I send a LOT of packets to synchonize new players on joining and maybe the Transport library was doing packet aggregation automatically? Either way, it works now though I'm worried since the docs say ReliableFragmented is same as Reliable in that it doesn't grant Sequenced order? Hm.

Also what is reccomended for max packet or fragment size... I would assume around typical MTU... 576 bytes?

But thanks again aabramychev, your work on the new netcode is much appreciated. I was able to convert the old Raknet code in my game to the UNet LLAPI in just a few days and appreciate the great performance and control improvements.

My game is at www.brokeprotocol.com if you want to take a look at the scope of the project.

Cheers

4. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

You should try using the new networking panels in the Unity profiler in the editor. They will tell you exactly how many and what types of messages you are using, but if you only LLAPI it may be less helpful.

MTU size is typically about 1200 bytes. HLAPI aggregates messages and has a buffering and retry mechanism on top of the LLAPI...

AlwaysBeCoding247 and NongBenz like this.
  5. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

Thanks Nong

Looks like I need review terminology...

ReactorMaximumReceivedMessages - maximum packets from network which library can handle in one read loop. Other words, thread will awake if socket become readable. After that library starts to read packet from this socket before socket will be unreadable (nothing to receive) or MaximumReceivedPacket limit will be reached.

MaxSentMessageQueueSize - this value per connection. How many messages you can send to connection before you will receive - no resources error on your send.

Sent/ReceivedMessagePoolSize - it is value per lib, how many send messages can wait for sending, and how many messages will wait for receiving.

The logic here is following, when you try to send message first of all you acquire buffer from the global pool, if this operation is successful you will add this message to connection sending queue.. Similar picture is with received messages.

About your first message. I have been still thinking that bug probably exists here. Can you reproduce the failing steps and submit the bug report, in this case I will carefully check what's going on.

NongBenz likes this.
  6. NongBenz

NongBenz

Thanks for clarifying, aabramychev. I did create a bare bones networking test project sending all manners of packets and disconnecting in many ways but wasn't able to reproduce the problem with ReliableSequenced QoS.

I'll take another crack at it when I get home but the steps are this... I'm excluding masterserver communication thats on a whole different host but could nontheless be involved.

[All packets on ReliableSequenced channel]
    Server Starts
    Client connects to Server
    Server gets the rData Connection packet
    Client sends a request for spawn
    Server receives, sends a whole lot of world, and NPC packets, and then a spawn packet.
    Client receives fine and spawns, everything is good.

Client quits (not nicely disconnects, I haven't tried that)

Server sends a whole lot (maybe 50-60) messages of...
    Attempt to send to not connected connection {1}
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkTransport:Send(Int32, Int32, Int32, Byte[], Int32, Byte&)
    ... which is expected

The connection finally times out on the server.

New client connects... connects on same connectionID as previous player since that was freed up by the timeout.
    Server receives new Connection rData packet.
    Client sends request for spawn...
    Server just ignores... doesn't receive anything.

Client hangs waiting for data from server but nothing comes. not even a disconnect.

There might be a disconnect a while later from an Error 4 no resources but it depends on a couple things I can't remember off the top of my head.

When I get back home I'll do more testing around. In my game though I have debug.logs on all NetworkTransport functions error output but I don't get any errors aside from a while after the problems with error 4 as detailed above.

Again trying this out again, all is fixed by switching to ReliableFragmented... even Unreliable works if all the packets get through nice and orderly which is easily done on localhost. So I'm guess it's a problem with ReliableSequenced but I was doubting myself as I wasn't able to reproduce in bare bone conditions.

7. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

>The connection finally times out on the server.

New client connects... connects on same connectionID as previous player since that was freed up by the timeout.
    Server receives new Connection rData packet.
    Client sends request for spawn...
    Server just ignores... doesn't receive anything.

OK, if I understand your description: it wass the bug which is currently fixed in patch 1.
    Bug description: QOS reliable sequenced. Client connects, disconnects, then connects again (so connection id will be the same) no traffic no disconnect - client hangs...

NongBenz likes this.
  8. NongBenz

NongBenz

Yeah that must be it - I'm running Beta 5.1.0f1 but I'm unaware of where to get patches I'm afraid. I guess I'll just sit tight for the official release on June 9 then. Thanks!