Search Unity

Reliable way for start arguments of unity

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SynergiAios, Apr 13, 2017.

1. SynergiAios

SynergiAios

So I'm currently writing a dedicated server for my game. As I was giving this to testers one feedback was, that it is not really convenient to have a .bat or .sh that contains the parameters -nographics and -batchmode to start as a server properly. So the users always need to use the bat, sh, shortcut I create to start the server.

This is a really good feedback. As I was looking through all my other games that have dedicated servers with it I saw most of the time that they just had a exe to start. Just a really few of them have to put some arguments to the server.exe to run properly.

So I want to know if there is any way, to inject those 2 parameters in the exe directly to run for. Some built parameters in unity or something else.

Of course I could always create another exe that starts the server exe like I could call this server.exe and the real server is something unobvious so the user doesn't click it. But to be quite honest this is mostly the same as the StartServer.bat/.sh

Is there anything possible?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can provide headless Linux builds which won't require those parameters. For Windows builds though, I'd just create a separate launcher application that launches the server. The launcher doesn't even necessarily need to be made with Unity.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Invertex

Invertex

What Joe said, if you need it for Windows, just use Visual Studio to make a quick console executable that does it for you. Heck, there's even tools online you can use that will convert a .bat file to .exe for you.
    http://www.battoexeconverter.com/

Kiwasi likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I would also go with a simple launcher. You can then have a 'start server' and a 'play game' button.