Search Unity

Releasing my first mobile game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scott95, Feb 8, 2019.

1. scott95

scott95

Hi everyone I'm fairly new to mobile development and thought I'd ask for some advice on releasing my game. If I'm releasing my game for free with built in ads do I need to register myself as a sole trader buisness? There's a low possibility that the game could make money via ad revenue and wasn't sure if making a buisness is the right path to take. The purpose of releasing this game isn't to make money, but to have my game out there as part of my portfolio. Thank you in advance for any advice you could provide.

deliquescator and tigerleapgorge like this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

We can't provide you with an answer to this question. It's completely dependent on the laws in your area. You will need to contact someone who knows the answer to this question in your area like an accountant or tax person.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    tigerleapgorge and Kiwasi like this.
  3. scott95

scott95

Hey Ryiah thank you for the response I live in the UK, but will ask an accountant for further advice.

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

I'm also in the UK. These helplines should be able to answer your question for free:

https://www.gov.uk/business-support-helpline

The growth hubs links should be able to help you, including in person if you wish, a similar service to the one I used when I started and found very useful.

tigerleapgorge, scott95 and Ryiah like this.
  5. Rabbity1

Rabbity1

I dont think it necessary to go to an accountant, would cost more than its worth, if you are expecting that you will earn less than £1000 in the year from the ad revenue you won't even need to declare it. You could set up a business if you are earning more than that. Do you have another job you do on top of this I take it? If you end up earning enough to declare it as income on top of your current salary, this may help https://www.income-tax.co.uk/ or as above poster said, give HMRC a call