Search Unity

[Released] XR Interaction Toolkit VR Simulator (+ limited giveaway)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Polff, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Polff

Polff

So I bought a new laptop with dedicated gpu in order to develop for VR remotely just to find out that an GTX 1050 doesn't meet the minimum requirements for neither standalone VR nor Oculus Link for the Quest. I mean I don't care if it doesn't run smoothly ... Getting annoyed by doing a build for every little test I started developing a basic VR Simulator for the Unity XR Interaction Toolkit package. As I am probably not the only one with this time consuming problem, I thought why not clean up the code and release it on the asset store. So here you go! :)

XR Interaction Toolkit VR Simulator
    Asset Store | Discord Server

Sometimes you need to work remotely but you don't have access to your VR-Devices? Your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for VR or is a MAC? Developing for mobile VR but your're tired of building the project for every little test? Working as a team but only got one Headset? Don't worry!
    The XR Interaction Toolkit VR Simulator lets you test your VR projects without the need of any VR hardware. Just drop it in and test your interactions directly in the editor.
    cover.png
    VR_Simulaotr_Screenshot.png

Features:
    ● Move and rotate the XR Headset
    ● Move and rotate the XR Controllers
    ● Grab and interact with Interactables in your scene (hover, select, activate)
    ● Customize the key layout for the Simulator

Known issues and limitations:
    ● Only the Select Action Trigger "Toggle" for XR Interactors works at the moment
    → The Simulator will change the Trigger in the linked Interactors on it's own.​
    ● OnDeactivate will be called instantly after using Activate on any Interactable
    → No continous interaction
    → Continous interactions can be build by using OnActivate for toggling
    Planned features:
    ● Automated throwing (quite difficult with mouse only)
    ● Simulating more inputs like controller buttons, sticks, etc.

To celebrate the release I give away three copies of the asset here. If you use one of the vouchers I would just kindly ask for an review on the asset store if you tested the simulator, as this is helping a lot! Thx! :)

Vouchers:
    ***USED***
    ***USED***
    ***USED***​

If you got any suggestions or feedback don't hesitate to join the discord server.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  2. Polff

Polff

All vouchers have been used ...

3. Mark_01

Mark_01

Dang missed the voucher XD , but I am waiting on the cable to show up to be able to hook up
    my quest to my PC. once I figure it all out.. I will be back here. I put it on my favorite list to buy
    once I need it. Thanks for the asset.

Polff likes this.
  4. jvetulani

jvetulani

Hi!

Does this work with canvases?

5. Polff

Polff

What exactly? You can simulate ui press of the XR Interaction toolkit with the Simulator. I think i haven't implemented a separate button for this and it's wotking with the interact one instead. A separate input won't be hard to implement though.

6. jvetulani

jvetulani

It's just that when I point any of the controllers at the Canvas containing the Tracked Device Graphic Raycaster I can't interact with any of the UI componets - buttons, scroll rects, the works.

It's on Unity 2020.1 and it's the standard XRRig using the Canvas from the XR menu.

I'm not sure if this isn't some sort of a more general bug or issue tho, cause I have the same issue after I build the app.

7. jvetulani

jvetulani

Nevermind, it was just an issue of not putting the current camera onto the World Space Canvas, all is well ! :).

LaurieAnnis and Polff like this.
  8. dansyrotyn

dansyrotyn

Does this works with OVR ?

9. dansyrotyn

dansyrotyn

I have purchased the asset and nothing happens

Im looking forward to refund

justRaptorr likes this.
  10. Polff

Polff

Currently it's not working with OVR out oft the box. It's working with any XR Input based Framework as it's simulating a virtual XR Device. I did some experiments with OVR some time ago and got movement working, but it's hard to simulate OVR Input. I had some ideas but that'll require some automated rewriting of OVR classes. I'll probably look into this again, as it's a frequently requested feature. If you want a refund, please do so via mail. If you want some more info or help setting it up, you can also join the discord for quicker answers.

11. EricVenn

EricVenn

Hi ! I'm interested by your asset, but for debugging. We have an annoying bug, and the programmer does not have a headset. So we are forced to send each time the builds, which is very time consuming. But will it reproduce a hardware bug ?

12. Polff

Polff

Hi @EricVenn, unfortunately the asset is not simulating any hardware specific things like rendering etc. but only generic XR Device Input. If you give me a bit more info about the bug, I might tell you if it's reproducable with the asset.
    On the other hand you could also just buy the asset and if it's not useful for you, request a refund via mail.

13. AndrilaY

AndrilaY

Hello, I just bought this asset as a replacement for VR. I'm creating a mountain scene, but it seems the XR Rig cannot collide with the ground, so sometimes I'll go through the model. Are there any settings I didn't know that can add a collision to XR Rig?

14. vrketing

vrketing

Hey,
    you definitely are able to have the XRRig collide with Objects, however this is not a Simulator specific questions but rather general VR. The basic process would be attaching a kinematic Rigidbody and collider to your XRRig and let those influence the rig. You can probably find tutorials online doing this. :)