Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] World Streamer ! Forget about your game memory usage and create big world!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, May 13, 2015.

1. UltraTM

UltraTM

Cause we are using the Atavism MMO Engine.
    will talk to an dev have them in skype or maybe you can also take a look.
    think when it would work you could make a lot of money there.

www.atavismonline.com

a lot of people are using it

also working togehter with an plugin dev for the engine. Skype would be nice heres my skype name: eliteultra

There we can get in contact would be a nice thing :)

Cheers.

Unit 5.3 is totally buggy at the moment even with the 5.3.1p1 patch version. Looses so much performance. Hope the make it soon playable ^^

2. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Single or multi?

Single player:
    - Bake navmesh in each scene (you couldn't use float point fix system, because unity navmesh is not an object that we could move with player)
    - Https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1876 (Aron said this will work fine)
    - Unity 5.5 Jun 7, 2016 (every problem will be solved)
    - Load navmesh at player scene. I mean bake at big world and coppy it to player start scene (you couldn't use float point fix system, because unity navmesh is not an object that we could move with player)
    - Use any system that is not based on baked navmesh (only needed for float point fix system)
    - Use any system where you could move navmesh object with scene objects (only needed for float point fix system)

Multiplayer with server side:
    - Https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1876 (Aron said this will work fine)
    - Bake navmesh at server (correct player position rpc by world mover script if you use float point fix system)

Yes we loading in background using this function Application.LoadLevelAdditiveAsync but. Ofc you could use that. Navmesh will work in that example but you couldn't move it with player during float point fix process

Edit:
    The only problem with navmesh is when you using floating point system. Floating point system is usefull for extremely big or endless worlds. You could use streaming in world streamer without that. Navmesh will work fine and it could be connected as you show in that link.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-AdditiveLoading.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    julianr likes this.
  3. julianr

julianr

Thanks. I've PMd you.

4. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

How do you deal with the floating Z issues of unity?

5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It works in every axis

6. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

Is possible to use World Streamer in only one scene with many terrains ?

++

7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What exactly you asking about? You have main scene and streamer is loading small scenes that you perpared before, using our world streamer tools - automatic. If you talking about terrain prefab instantiating - its much slower and you coudn't bake navmesh,lightmaps,GI etc... on them

8. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

Ok thanks.

i would like to know if World Streamer is compliant/working with plyGame. ?

Regards,

+++

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Um why not:) Streamer is only for world, models, space, everything that you could save at the scene. It's the Idea of loading world in parts and in many layers, if you need many layers ofc because you could stream world in one layer too.. Whole core of the game is untouched. World streamer gives you unlimited world details, unlimited world size and low memory, cpu,gpu, vram consumption => good preformance. If your world is extremely big you could use floating point system to avoid problems with physics and render far away from 0 0 0 point.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  10. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

how can i test ?

++

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Only demo that is attached to first post and I could show you via skype how it works. You could take a look at this video
    LINK

12. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

i saw.

my mistake, How can i test with plyGame ?

+++

13. BadUncleGames

BadUncleGames

Good morning,

I am developing a game with a few colleagues and have come across your interesting asset. I have a few questions if I may ask.

1. You state this works with Terrain Composer – Does this mean that the tiles in Terrain Composer will be made into separate scenes if I split the scene the same way? (e.g. if I made 4 tiles x 4 tiles at 1024 units x 1024 units ezch would World Streamer split it the same way and make those separate scenes?)

2. I am looking at making a massive world (Pretty much the size of Scotland ;-)) and have been looking for a solution to the massive world size. Is there a limit on the size of terrains and scenes or is that dictated bv performance?

3. Finally, If I made 20 or more 4kx4k scenes for example am I able to just bring them in to World Streamer or do I have to split the scene up with World streamer?

I have also flicked these questions in an email.
    Cheers

14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hard to say just buy and if there will be a problem, You always could take a refund.

Ad1) Yes your terrain tiles will be moved to separated scenes. Yes world streamer have scene splitter. This tool will split your world and create scenes automatically. If you put models at your scene you could stream them in different range and layer if you want.

Ad2) There is no limit in world size. The only limit is with objects/scenes loaded a the same time. If you will load too much at one layer it could be heavy. Ofc there are values in options that will help you to avoid that.

Ad3) You should put all of your models and terrains at one scene than use scene splitter (world streamer tool). Ofc you don't have to. You could split every of this 20 scenes alone and create streaming for every scene but it's not good way. Anway in some cases it's usefull for example player is totally changing the world and scene.

I just made a FAQ. I hope it will be helpfull for you.

FAQ

- What does streamer do?
    Streamer will cut your world into parts and load them only if they are needed (You decide when). It will reduce your cpu, gpu, ram, vram usage. This give you ability to put much more content, without loosing performance and stay with application requirements at low status. Everything is loaded in background so you don't lose performance in game, during streaming process.

- What I could stream from disc in my game?
    Everything that you could save at scene: models, particles, terrains, dynamic objects, UI, navmesh, just everything.

- Does it fit for 2d games?
    Yes ofc, it's even easier in 2d games. You could choose streaming direction in any axis configuration that you want.

- Does it fit for mobiles
    Yes, it work at every platform, streamer will reduce your application requirements

- What is floating point system
    If your world is extremely huge, you need to restart your position from time to time, because of physics problem, also shadows in rendering show artifacts. This is basic feature for space games or simply big worlds. You could also use it for repetitive spawned objects in your game like asteroid belt in space.

- How about navmesh with floating point system and without.
    * Without floating point system there are no problem with navmesh. You could simply bake it on scene with whole models and move navmesh file to scene with your game, or you could bake navmesh in each splitted world part and connect them by off mesh links in unity navmesh.
    * With floating point system you have to bake navmesh in system that give you ability to move it with player. So navmesh must be parented to an object, that we could move. Unity standard navmesh is not an object at the scene, so we couldn't move it. For example you could use this solution: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1876 or any other.
    You also could bake few navmeshes and load them only if player is close enought. In this configuration you will don't have to move big navmesh object, but only small parts.
    If this solutions are still problematic for you, you could wait until Unity 5.5 Jun 7, 2016 release and every problem will be solved.

- If I want to stream terrains should I split it into parts?
    Yes, You could do this by World Composers or any tool that could cut your terrain into parts. Than you have to split your scene with terrains, using terrain size as sector size.

- How about perfromance?
    In editor it's slower than in build because of GC workflow and memory access. Everything is in background so you will don't even feel that is something loading in your game.

- Does it work with light maps?
    Yes, but only in unity 5.2+ versions

- Does it fit multiplayer games?
    Sure, even if you use floating point fix system. We hold real player position as accessible value, so you could fix position in RPC. Everything will move and spawn correct.

- How about dynamic objects?
    Sure, there is no problem with them. You could stream them by streamer or spawn/instantiate.

- Does the original big scene remains as template?, incase you want to re-edit it or add more space or retouch the terrain etc... ??
    Yes, it hold your orginal scene, you also could re-split it. You could work at small scenes or huge world. This give your work additional performance, because you could work on small area. You also could simply turn off currently unnecessary part of game at your orginal big scene. When you split your scene, world will become orderly, you have easy access to any of his part.

- Once you modify main big scene you will need to re-split scene ?
    Yes but it's only one mouse click. You could also modify world in parts and multiscene editor in 5.3+ give you a lot of capabilities.

- Does your tool offer a terrain stitch tool?
    No, we have terrain stitcher and multi terrain brush as the solution.
    Terrain Stitcher
    Multi Terrain Brush

-So each terrain edges height will match the terrain adjacent to it?

Yes, there is script that will fix terrain LOD edges, simply put it into scene, nothing more.

- How can I spawn dynamic object and use floating point fix system
    Real player position is world mover position + player transform. So it's simple. Spawn position = spawned object transform - world mover position. Everything will work fine.

- Why my project is so huge after I generated scenes.
    You had coppied your navmesh, light maps to every scene. Remove them from scene where you generate your world.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  15. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi! New version is ready to download!

update "1.4.5"
    - fixed looped world system
    - support for unity 5.3+ and older unity versions
    - multiscene editing support

Thanks to devs for support and time. We appreciate your contribution to the development of these tools. If someone need any new feature just catch us here!

Superjayjay and julianr like this.
  16. gameDevi

gameDevi

Thank You :)

17. Pecek

Pecek

A suggestion for creating the splits in Unity 5.3+; instead of copying every single object to a new scene and destroy the useless stuff, simply make a clone of the part we actually need, create a new scene, move the clone to the scene and save - I just made this change as I wasn't happy with the time it needed to split my scene, in my case it took more than 2 hours(!) before and it takes a bit less then 3 minutes now, that's quite an improvement if you ask me. :)

Btw sometimes I have a pretty weird error, for some reason in some cases it only loads the first scene(and it loads it a lot slower than usual), I have to restart Unity (entering playmode again doesn't solve this), no error messages either - I don't really expect a solution to this problem, it might even be a bug in Unity, but wanted to let you guys know.

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.

Ad1)We created whole new big concept for unity 5.3. When we finish it, you will have to split your world only once. Any action in editor after this will be automatic. If spliting your world took 2h you could have coppied navmesh to every scene or you bake lightmaps (auto recompute) at every scene. Also you should simply restart your unity before big job, somtimes unity is bugged and hold unnecessary things that slowdown the editor. I bake 2h for whole mmo game (5000scenes), so it could be one of this things. Ofc we will make scene generating much faster at 5.3+ because we get a lot of new functions. Before 5.3 we had tied hands.

Ad2) Check streamer tag on streamer objects. Many peoples forgot about that and effect is exactly like that. If there is any error please sent me a coppy of it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  19. Pecek

Pecek

I don't think so, at the moment I only have one streamer in the scene, I'm not changing its tag like, ever. Also I only stream terrain at the moment, without any other data(no navmesh, lightmap, or even a single cube, just the terrain with rtp), but the main scene is about ~500mb and I split it to 256 parts, that's 64gb to write so my best guess it's taking so much time because the hdd is slow and is doing a lot of unnecessary work. Looking forward for the update, it sounds cool - do you have any ETA for it?

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Um you did something wrong.. Typical scene with horde of trees, grass and terrain: 1000x1000, heightmap resolution 513, detail resolution 256, per patch 16, takes 6kb.. so 256 parts will take few mb. Models with town takes 250kb. Unity have only connections at the scene, of course it load everything during scene loading so basicly it will load few mb or more. Anyway scene should weigh few kb to 0,5mb. If your scene have 2-xxx mb... than you have something coppied to it. Open scene and remove navmesh data - navigation ==> clear and check if size will change. I can't tell you why because I haven't see your code changes, but as I said it shoudn't take so much space and time. I told you about navmesh because people often coppied it to every scene, then project takes gb of space.

This weekend we will have few features, during next week we will do alot of planned things. ETA - about 2 weeks or a bit more. We have to test everything carefully.

21. IdrilKalean

IdrilKalean

22. Pequisto

Pequisto

Hello,

I've been playing with World Streamer and I've probably watched the tutorial video 20 times (with subtitles on) in order to understand how to properly prepare my terrains and models.

I don't think I'm doing this correctly.

So far, I've decided to use a 27 km x 27 km terrain that is divided into 1km tiles (through World Machine). So there are a total of 729 terrain tiles (27 x 27). I've gone ahead and created 729 individual Unity scenes (1 tile per scene). I plan to have another scene that contains the First-Person Character, Cameras and Lighting.

The problem with the next step is that I can't load all of my terrain tiles into a scene without crashing the Unity editor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

23. Pecek

Pecek

The last time I was using navmesh was before Unity 4.6 came out, never even opened the panel in U5. :) The scene size is bigger because of rtp's color map, I'm not saving it to disk at the moment so it stores it in the scene(at least that's the only thing I can think of, as I really don't have any other data in the scene, and after exporting one of them the size match).

Thanks for the info, can't wait!

@Pequisto
    I might misunderstand your problem, but sounds like you are simply out of memory - if that's the case there is not much you can do, buy some more or reexport your files in a lower resolution. Also you only have to create one scene which contains every object you want to stream, World Streamer'll take care of the rest.

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Im just working on curved world demo - video:) To show everyone how cool it could be;)

-In my opinion terrain tile should be 110% of far view value to avoid loading on your screen and make as less terrain as it possible.
    -Yes. One terrain per scene, how big is your far view at camera? Maybe youu need less scenes?
    -Yes. One scene with camera,lighting and streamer is correct.
    -Hmmm this is crash because out of memory or why? If that is because of out of ram (huge scene data) you could simply turn off some terrains, if you are not currently working at them. We prepering automatic refreshing and streaming in editor to avoid such problems.

So btw maybe you have to much scenes? I added in this post some info, how it should look ofc it is only my opinion. Everyone could have other point of view
    That is strange texture saved in scene?

IdrilKalean likes this.
  25. John-G

John-G

What would be the recommended tile size to use with a far clip size of 50,000. For a flight sim.

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Rescale your world. You will get shadow erros on so far view. Why do you want to use 50k far view? If you rescale your world you could use smaller value.

27. John-G

John-G

Using Truesky for accurate celestial and atmospheric simulation, which requires a far clip between 10,000 and 50,000 to function correctly.

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

How far your plane is from the terrain ? how much details are you use(trees )? How many splats maps or one texture from satelite? You could try with many small terrains like 5k to 5k and load range like 3 (for 10k) or 11 for 50k.

29. Pecek

Pecek

256(terrains)+2(main menu and the main game scene(I have the player, sky, light, etc in here)).
    Yep, RTP can generate a color map based on your splats and detail textures, if you want you can store those on disk, but by default they are saved in the terrains' ReliefTerrain component(the same happens with detail atlases, in my case those combined(8x2k textures plus the combined height maps) are around 87mb without compression, usually(when you have more RTP materials in the same scene) they are using the same textures, but if you have one terrain per scene it will save the textures in every single scene(it was over 21gb in my case when I first split my scene with World Streamer, I almost had a heart attack lol), but as color maps are unique per terrain anyway I don't really see the point of saving them manually at this point.

30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. I've tested unity terrain alot and:
    - there is no problem with terrain loading in unity (size doesn't matter)
    - smaller parts are heavier for engine to render but give more freedom in development.
    - small tiles could change textures more often. So you could hold small amount of textures in each tile.
    - smaller parts are hard in development (you chave to change from tile to tile during your terrain work)
    - speed trees are loaded faster in bigger tiles
    I tested 1000and 500 unit tiles:
    - with 1000 i get 120 fps and no lags from speed trees
    - with 500 i get 80 fps and small lags from speed trees
    I had huge amount of trees in the test.
    So you should use small amount of terrain tiles.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    UltraTM and John-G like this.
  31. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I have just finished demo that show curved world and world streamer compatibility.

World Streamer example of use with Curved World. Small planet was created in World Creator (heightmap) and Terrain Composer (splatmap). Terrain Stitcher and Multiple Terrain brush has been used to loop the world and finish his borders. Small planet is fully streamed from disc at runtime.

Demo took about 2 days (16h).
    1 day - terrain, terrain textures, looping system,
    2 day - performance, image effects, rendering

Average FPS 120.

Assetstore links:
    World Streamer: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36486
    Terrain Stitcher: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/42671
    Multiple Terrain Brush: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/44037
    Curved World: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26165
    World Creator: http://www.cloddy.com/index.php/wc-product
    Terrain Composer: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7065

IdrilKalean and John-G like this.
  32. mkgm

mkgm

33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi I will post information about upcoming update:

update "1.5"(work in progress)

- Additional tools to work on splitted world.
    * Editor streaming based on EDITOR camera position - After turning on EDITOR will stream/load scenes, from one or multiple scene collections, during EDITOR camera moving. In this solution, you will have to split your world and generate scenes only once. After that you could move editor camera and World Streamer will load only scenes in specific range. So you could work on endless space with big team without any editor memory, cpu problems and avoid solutions. When you put new models or move them, you will only need to click refresh button. World Streamer will actualize only changes that are necessary. Operation will took few seconds. This is solution for extremely big worlds, big teams or it simply save your time. (work in progress)
    * Fast tool that only load specyfic area from one or multiple scene collections. After that you could add some models or move them and you will only need to click refresh button. This is also good solution for extremely big world or for many developers, that are working at one area. Features like above but without camera editor move. (done)
    - Better support for 5.3+, that mean new loading functions for 5.3+ (done)
    - Faster scene creator based on 5.3+ features. XX times faster than now (done)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Pecek, IdrilKalean, Pequisto and 2 others like this.
  34. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Sounds great ! :D

35. IdrilKalean

IdrilKalean

Oh YES! sounds great !!!!! :D:D:D

36. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

Look really awesome. Can you upload the demo of the flying one?

Also, is there a performance issue when you have 1000s of assets on a particular scene for loading and unloading? Is it as fast as Unity's scene loading mechanisms?

Also, I didn't see any discussion around network streaming. Is it streaming from disk only?

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi
    a) What performance issue? You mean cpu culling? No, because you load assets only when you are close enought. You could load small models from close distance and big in far distances. So you will avoid big amount of assets in the scene. This is unity loading machanism but it was automated by us.

b) It also support web player.

c) I can't upload this demo becuse it contain many assets that are not mine. Like curved world etc..It's realy easy way to create something like that. I could write step by step what you have to do.

38. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

@NatureManufacture

a) Ok, I thought you wrote a customer loader. But it sounds like you just use Unity's in some way. My worry was if there was a lot of assets close by it would be slow.

b) I don't mean web player, but rather PC standalone. Isn't unity deprecating web player?

c) I don't mean the code, just the compiled version :)

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

a) World Streamer is custom loader because we create whole fast and automatic streaming idea for unity. We had to use unity functions for that, there is no other way. Everything is in background so it will work fine, even if you want to load whole town.
    b) Yes but some devs still use it and asked for it, so we create web player support. If you need anything you could always give us info.
    c) Sure I will upload it soon:). I must finish few things, in other projects before I will do that.

40. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

By pc standalone network streaming I mean your solution versus asset bundles. I was wondering if it was possible to stream the environment from the network rather than local disk.

caching would be cool as well if you make it happen (check for dirty flag, etc)

Ideally I'd be able to make changes and all streamers would see them next time they came to the scene.

41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

There are always few possibilities, but stream whole world from network is not an good idea. To much data and why?

"Ideally I'd be able to make changes and all streamers would see them next time they came to the scene."

Now you only have to resplit and rebuild scenes (2 buttons) but... In 1.5 World Streamer everything will be much more automatic than now. You will only load area that you want to work on (usable for huge huge huge projects). You could add models terrains whatever you want, click refresh and done:) whole world will be refreshed without any scene rebuild. Whole world split and rebuild will be much faster now.

42. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

Well, for the same reason that Unity made asset bundles, I'd say. Add Caching with a dirty flag, and it'd be very useful.

43. julianr

julianr

People on low bandwidth with a large world streaming down to your machine would be costly. Better to download the whole game, and apply patches for updates that are checked on loading the game so that the client version is in sync with the server side version, then stream everything that is static, anything dynamic with physics would run client side (eg. explosions, server side would just register the damage). If you are making a multiplayer game and for single player games. Apply LOD and culling so they load up with very little cost in lag (if you have a lot on each tile), combined with streaming.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  44. ajrss09

ajrss09

Hello Everyone! Is it compatible with Gaia? What is the main diference between Sector Stream and World Streamer? Thanks.

45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.
    You only need to split terrains into parts and it works:) It's fully automatic, you don't have to setup any colliders etc. Simply create layer, click split and generate. You could stream in many layers for example models and terrains separately. You can change size of streaming packages and range in few min. Range could be changed even in runtime, for example for weaker platform you could load less object, in closer range.

46. RonanBurgess

RonanBurgess

Hello.

Could you tell me if it is possible to use two different chunk sizes in the same project? For example one chunk size for the terrain and building models and a smaller chunk size for another layer which contains a lot of small objects, such as terrain decals etc.
    thanks

Ronan

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.
    This is that what we called streaming in layers, so yes it's possible. It is one of the main features of World Streamer. You could change your chunk size by clicking 2 buttons. So you could easily estimate perfect chunk size for you.

48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. Ok we play with open cards.

As I know many devs are waitng for this patch so here is more information. Basically you will split your world only once, and create your scenes also only once and than... After you will put new models world streamer will sent them into correct scenes or create new. That mean, many peoples could work at the same area, you could work on huge world with milions of models without loading them all into editor, even for a while. You will don't need to turn them off, and you hold smooth editor workflow. So we will give you a tool to work or actualize locally your world without spliting him again. Scene generating time will be also xx times shorter.

update "1.5"(work in progress)

- Additional tools to work on splitted world.
    * Editor streaming based on EDITOR camera position - After turning on EDITOR will stream/load scenes, from one or multiple scene collections, during EDITOR camera moving. In this solution, you will have to split your world and generate scenes only once. After that you could move editor camera and World Streamer will load only scenes in specific range. So you could work on endless space with big team without any editor memory, cpu problems and avoid solutions. When you put new models or move them, you will only need to click refresh button. World Streamer will actualize only changes that are necessary. Operation will took few seconds. This is solution for extremely big worlds, big teams or it simply save your time. (work in progress)
    * Fast tool that only load specyfic area from one or multiple scene collections. After that you could add some models or move them and you will only need to click refresh button. This is also good solution for extremely big world or for many developers, that are working at one area. Features like above but without camera editor move. (done)
    - Better support for 5.3+, that mean new loading functions for 5.3+ (done)
    - Faster scene creator based on 5.3+ features. XX times faster than now (done)

49. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi I have scenes that take 2 mins to load, would it be possible to merge all of my scenes (around 10 large ones) into one experience using this? I just cant see how a semi demanding game could run at a high fps and still load so much stuff in the background without stuttering badly. Would be great to get a watermarked demo or something to make sure it is able to do what people need before buying. Ultimately if that works this is exactly what I am after to remove loading times and make my world feel seamless! Examples of really large open world games made using this would be good too.

Thanks!

50. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes you could put all scenes in to one big scene and split it into parts based on model/mother/object positions. Than you can load it in background in small parts during gameplay. In 1.5 version you will be able to load local small area from this huge world, work on it and actualize it by 2 buttons. So you dont have to work on huge scene. You could run unlimited world, but you must load it in quite small parts. Gloria Victis MMO is using World Streamer.

recon0303 and julianr like this.