Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] World Streamer ! Forget about your game memory usage and create big world!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, May 13, 2015.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.
    We updated our pack status. We almost ready to upload new version with many cool features

In next update "1.3" we would like to put:

- multiple sorting proces for few layers at one (done)
    - multiple steamers - automatic scene creating for multiple layers and streamers (done)
    - diffrent steam range in selected axis (work in progress)
    - faster scene creating process (done)
    - cancel creating scene process (done)
    - warning if you forgot about: streamer tag or deloading range is shorter than loading, thx for feedback! (done)
    In next update "1.4" we would like to put:
    - looped world system (work in progress)
    - and much more

2. zmaxz

zmaxz

HI !!
    How do i use "World Steamer" to cut my big terrain to small terrains ?

3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. You must use other tool to cut your terrain into parts. Streamer is tool to async loading from the disc.

4. zmaxz

zmaxz

hi~~
    Occlusion Culling can work with "World Steamer" ?
    I had tried , But can`t work.
    Any suggestion is welcome .THX

5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. We have sent update to unity asset store. In 1.3 version you can find:
    - Improve scenes creating speed (done)
    - Multiple sorting process for few layers at once (done)
    - Multiple steamers - automatic scene creating for multiple layers and streamers (done)
    - Cancel creating scene process (done)
    - Warning if you forgot about: streamer tag or deloading range is shorter than loading, thx for feedback! (done)
    - Save options for sorting process (done)
    - Streaming layers manager in scene splitter (done)
    - Documentation update (done)
    - Index out of range fix, it could show in very specific situations (done)
    - Manual update with more tips and details, thx for feedback! (done)

mkgm likes this.
  7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I think you should you this, it's better than any occlusion culling 47:40 +:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CullingGroupAPI.html

It's faster and much more automatic.

8. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. We just made new movie about World Streamer - 1.3 version!

9. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~~
    i have a suggestion for Scene Splitter,
    i just like to some layer do "Generate Scenes" , because another have done before.
    SceneSp.jpg

10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Sure, we will add this in next update. Thanks for feedback!

11. kilju

kilju

hi. i see this got floating origin fix. so can u use unitys navmesh with this?

12. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey @NatureManufacture - I am going to be purchasing this today :)

I have a two questions though -

1. Are there any plans for a tiled Nav mesh tool that works with World Streamer or is built into World Streamer? I know that unreal engine does this and it really increases performance for large worlds.

2. Are there any plans to integrate this into the editor (Not just runtime) so we can edit our large scenes and not run into problems.

Thank you for your time,

Headclot

13. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi there is few things behind this:
    a) You can use unity navmesh if you have client - server architecture. Servers will not use float point fix but they will get and send corrected position in message from/to player. There will be few servers behind and player will switch from cluster to cluster during travel process. Each server have own unity navmesh. I work on this architecture and it really works good. This is MMO games solution.
    b) You can use https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1876 You can move it with world, also you can load next part/sector of navmesh.
    c) You can write own simple A* pathfinding or try one of many that are in assetstore. You could use any navmesh that you could move with player - object in hierarchy
    d) Unity navmesh is something that we could load with scene but navmesh parts are not connected to eachother. Unity navmesh is not represented as object so we couldn't move it during gameplay.

14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

1. Navmesh is BIG thing, if unity will give us acces to it, or they finish and release saving navmesh in objects, we will also attach this to our system. Yes, they have navmesh saved in object already, but as we see, we still need to wait until they finish it. At this moment the best way is to buy pathfinding system in asset store and simply move or load navmesh with player travel process.
    2. Yes, we will use unity multiscene editing but.... it must be stable enought and we have to wait until it will work fine:). Nobody wants to loose his work. Unity has released multiscene editing already. In this construction you will have to split your world into parts only once. You will able to work on your splitted scenes until you finish the game.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  15. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Thank you for the reply :)

Means allot :)

16. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I would send a lot of good karma to anybody the would build an example of this. Make a video to explain it and I will PayPal you a pint of your favorite beer. :p

17. Webbstre

Webbstre

I bought this yesterday because someone recommended it for use to stream procedurally generated games, but I'm having trouble seeing how to make it work. From what I can see you need to have your scene pre-made, then split with the World Builder tool before the game is even built. Plus from looking at the balls in the test scene it looks like position data for moving objects isn't saved?

What I'm trying to do is generate the world while the game is running, then I'd like to save and unload anything out of range to the disk. Is this possible?

18. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

@NatureManufacture

I am wondering if you would get your asset working with EasyRoads3D v3.

Here's the issue: The roads must be child objects of a parent Road Network object. Thus, the individual roads can not be parsed out to the various tiled scenes. You just end up with the Road Network object, and all its children (roads) being in X0_Z0.

Do you have a means of handling this?

19. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You could ask Aron about that. He is cool guy, before I answer you I talk with him alot, about navmesh in streamed world. You have to save navmeshes in own layer (use big tile). AI should be on other layer or you need to use world mover script. When player will have float point fix process, navmesh and AI will fallow the player. If you have multiple navmeshesh they need a common parts.

First you have to build this world than you need cut it in parts. Next step is sent this parts into scenes, there is a button to do this. At last you can load them async during gameplay. If you want to save position of something you should use own script for that. If you need this we could made a script with that option. Anyway it will took some time, we have long to do list. It don't look like something complicated, it depend on this, what changes you want to save. If you create something runtime during playmode, it's not possible to save that as scene, with world streamer or unity. Mostly because of unity.

I used this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15739 to make world streamer car demo, It's simmilar. I had to unpack all roads from folder in hierarchy and split it. You should start and end your road checkpoint in one sector. It's hard without gizmo ( how sectors will look after split). We already have version with gizmo but it haven't been tested yet. We could sent you this version if you need.
    Ok but... there is other way, we also could cut meshes into parts, but this could be heavy for cpu and gpu. (much more materials). At the moment there is a group of devs that are asking for this.

I haven't get it. Could you sent a mail to: naturemanufacture@gmail.com ?

21. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I have a request. Can you add a scrollbar to the Scene Splitter window? Without it, if you add multiple layers, it is too large for the window (even after resizing) and is cut off at the bottom. Thanks.

22. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Sure, this week we're going to start making all wishes that devs are asking us about. If someone need something more plz post. Tommorow I will publicate list what is in to do - what you will get in next up.

23. JermyAker

JermyAker

Hi, World Streamer works great!
    A couple of feature requests to help with streaming web player support/optimization:
    1. The Streamer class should check Application.CanStreamedLevelBeLoaded() before attempting to LoadLevelAdditiveAsync().
    2. Automatically ordering the scenes in the build settings according to the location of a transform(s) (at least an initial spawn point) would be great.
    Thanks!

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We will add that in next version.

In next update "1.4" we would like to put:
    - looped world system (work in progress)
    - diffrent stream range in selected axis (work in progress)
    - gizmos with information about future sectors (done)
    - scrollbar in scene splitter window (work in progress)
    - webplayer support (work in progress)
    - generate scenes for separated layer - "G" button (work in progress)
    - compatibility with terrain stitcher and multiple terrain brush (done)

25. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@NatureManufacture - Sorry for the delay internet has been out in my area for the past few days.

Either way Email has been sent :)

- HeadClot

26. zmaxz

zmaxz

World Streamer can`t work with Unity5 GI,any idea?

27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Have you baked GI for this scenes? If yes, and it don't work, that mean unity haven't applied async GI data loading with scenes;/ - yet. This also means if you have any scene with GI and you loading it async you will don't get GI data;/. This should work.
    Here is some info:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gi-global-illumination-load-level-additive-rendering-issues.310452/
    This should work in 5.2.2 but I haven't testet it yet.

Sorry for late answer.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  28. Pequisto

Pequisto

Hi,

I'm working on a First-Person adventure project and need to create a VERY, VERY large terrain with lots of trees, lots of rocks, lots of details. Much of these need to be interactive.

My plan is to cut the terrain into tiles but to have the entire scene be seamless (no loading screens).

I'd like to know if this can be achieved with World Streamer.

Thanks! :)

29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Sure it will fit your game. Send me an email : naturemanufacture@gmail.com
    I will give you some tips and details.

30. Recon03

Recon03

I also would like to know about EasyRoads3D vs3 as well,

31. Recon03

Recon03

looking so good, keep them updates coming, very impressed so far... working great for mobile as well.. for large terrains.. FYI, I been using GAIA and TC with this works great.. I know TC was able to before.

32. Pequisto

Pequisto

Thanks for the reply. I've already purchased World Streamer and so far, haven't had any issues. Everything works just fine. :)

Cheers and thanks for a great asset.

33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

If you need support send me an email and we will talk about this by skype. I will help you with easy road.

34. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I would like to update our info about pack progress:

update "1.4" status: uploading
    - looped world system (done)
    - different stream range in selected axis (done)
    - gizmos with information about future sectors (done)
    - scrollbar in scene splitter window (done)
    - webplayer support (done)
    - generate scenes for separated layer - "G" button (done)
    - compatibility with terrain stitcher and multiple terrain brush (done)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  35. rocky740

rocky740

Does this function for massively multiplayer?

36. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes, You will reduce cpu, memory, gpu usage on client side. This is for all kind of games, even MMO.

37. Recon03

Recon03

what is your Skype info??

38. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

39. tgienger

tgienger

Just picked this up and love it so far. I just have a couple of questions.

1. I noticed that when unloading terrains they would not be removed form hierarchy. Is this something I'm doing wrong?

2. What would it take to point one side of tiles to another, simulating a round world?

40. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi there!

Ad 1. Hmm that could be unity 5.3+ hierarchy view bug. Multiscene editing in new unity it's a bit bugged. In game it will work fine .Anyway I will check that.

Ad 2. It's automatic, on main streamer objects you have to check box "looped" and when tiles will end (highest XYZ will be loaded), system in next step will load tiles with the lowest XYZ values. At world streamer pack, You have scene with endless looped world example.

If you will have any problems you could always contact with me.

41. tgienger

tgienger

I ended up downloading Unity 5.1.2 (per asset upload) to check and the scenes I created in 5.3 acted the same way. Then I created a new scene without any issues.

Note: when using 5.3+ I noticed that the loop feature was also broken. It would skip over 1-2 terrain columns/rows no matter which direction you went. If I kept moving around the same area it would at some points load the correct terrain right on top of the previously wrong terrain. Just thought I'd mention it.

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok you have my skype, lets take a look on this.
    Hmm let me think..... Do you have the same problem at tutorial scene? I tested it many times and everything was ok. You know in specific loading/deloading range there could be a problem. If loading/deloading range is to big (there should be a warning also info in manual) it could be broken because of math logic. If deloading /loading is bigger than half of your world it will not work properly.

43. tgienger

tgienger

I've tried adding you as a contact on skype.

44. julianr

julianr

Hi, this looks good, but I have two questions before purchase. I have created 122 (2000x2000) squares with Terrain Composer, each with their own gameObjects with heavily LODs and culling. Some may have 100s of gameObjects on them. Would I use World Streamer to keep the same size squares, generating 122 scenes, or would I use World Streamer to create less content in each scene, but then increases the number of scenes created? I'd imagine a 2000x2000 terrain filles with a few hundred gameObjects may take a while to show up on streaming without cutting it down to managable sizes.

2nd question.. if I hide all of the gameObjects on each of the terrains, would these be enabled once World Streamer has created the scenes for streaming, or do they need to be enabled before they are moved to each scene created?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.

Ad1)
    Do you talking about terrain details - gameobjects in terrain or simply you have models and terrains at scene (they are separated)?

If models are separated from terrain you could create 122 scenes for terrains and:
    - separated scenes with small objects, which will be loaded only in short distance (separated streaming layer).
    - separated scenes with big objects that are loaded in far distance (separated streaming layer).
    This will remove your cpu, gpu, ram, vram usage.

If models are in terrain data (terrain details) you could only cut this 122 terrains into smaller parts (in terrain composer or world composer) and load only this parts that are needed (world streamer). Im not sure if many small terrains are better than meaningful amount of big terrains. Every case is quite different, you have to test that.

Ad2)
    If you have models separated from terrain, you have to turn them on for first splitting. If you have problem with textures at editor and models are separated from terrains you could use Amplify Texture 2. I worked like that with milions of models and gigabites of textures without problem.

If models are terrain details, yes you could hide details, because they are stored in terrain data, but you will have to turn them on in each scene. You could make that process shorter by turn on/off this details by terrain prefabs (you create prefab from each terrain). You will not have to turn details on/off on each scene.

julianr likes this.
  46. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We find this error and it's only in looped world. We will fix that today. We will also include 5.3 changes - not disappearing scens. It will compatible with old unity version too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  47. UltraTM

UltraTM

I would like to really ask when the terrains are tilled they are still unity terrains or?

cause we are making an MMORPG and have also terrain editing in game of the unity terrain.
    how could this be handled there?

cause it creates new "prefabs" with the tiles of the terrain.

We are also using Suimono water system and Tenkoku sky system.
    How will they work then?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

This system is also dedicated MMO Games.

Yes they are still unity terrains. You could handle that but you have to sent terrain data chenges via rpc when they are loaded. You even have to sent that without world streamer so nothing will changed in this case.

There is no problem with water systems and sky. Sky system simply leave on player scene. You could also stream water parts if you need.

If you will have any problems you always could catch me at skype

49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

- Looped world is fixed
    - We also added 5.3 unity support because of changes in engine, we had to replace old functions by new, but only for unity 5.3 + versions. System will work with any unity now, old and new one. Ofc it works before but in 5.3 unity has changed loading/deloading function and we want to have fresh code.

If someone need new version please send me invoice number from asset store and I will sent fixed code before unity will upload our fixes.

50. julianr

julianr

Our game uses AI heavily, any chance this will work with the Navmesh? link here - do you use LoadLevelAdditive() ??