Search Unity

[RELEASED] World Streamer ! Forget about your game memory usage and create big world!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, May 13, 2015.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Probably world was loaded tooo slow in such device and it drop player. Use safe place or hold player until load end.

2. magique

magique

Is there some callback to tell me load ended? Or do you just mean Unity's sceneLoaded delegate?

[EDIT]
    In the dosc it says the following:

Loading bar in loading screen will release player into game only when all scenes from element 0 and 1 will be loaded.

So, isn't it already waiting until loading is complete?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Loading bar yes but character must be frozen for this time or moved to safe place. Yes ui is using flag / event which says loading is ended. Im not at office but check loading ui script.

4. magique

magique

OK, thanks.

5. Eqirc

Eqirc

Does World Streamer support HDRP?

6. recon0303

recon0303

World Streamer is a tool for streaming terrains. and game objects, etc. So it will use what ever Rendering Unity allows. and supports. so yes it will work.

Eqirc likes this.
  7. magique

magique

Did you ever get this information for me?

[EDIT]
    Nevermind. I found it and got it to work.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Just in case for others.

if (streamers.Length > 0)
    {
    bool initialized = true;
    progressImg.fillAmount = 0;
    foreach (var item in streamers)
    {
    progressImg.fillAmount += item.LoadingProgress / (float)streamers.Length;
    initialized = initialized && item.initialized;
    }
    if (initialized)
    {
    if (progressImg.fillAmount >= 1)
    {
    if (!done)
    {
    done = true;
    if (onDone != null)
    onDone.Invoke();

StartCoroutine(TurnOff());
    }
    }
    else
    done = false;
    }
    }

9. TommiH

TommiH

@NatureManufacture Any comment on this issue gecko posted a while ago?

10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We didnt notice that. On our UI you could set delay for loading panel which handle most cases. It only can happend when streamer didnt had enought time to gather info about which scenes is on loading list.

11. gecko

gecko

Do you mean Destroy Tile Delay?

That's mainly for loading/unloading as the player moves around? Our problem is the initial loading, with the onDone event. We're listening to it using the following code:

uiLoadingStreamer.onDone.AddListener(() => { setInitialLoadingFinishedNextUpdate = true; });

After this has been fired, we do things that require all the World Streamer terrains to be in place. However, this seems to fire prematurely, about halfway through the process of loading terrains.

We're using the stock Streamers, just updated for our split scenes, nothing unusual there. We load 9 Unity terrains (distance of 1 from player), and then LOD mesh terrains beyond those. After everything is done loading, it all works great, but it's a problem that we get the onDone gets fired halfway through the loading process. Any suggestions?

12. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Screens from setup:p

13. SSL7

SSL7

Does world streamer support Unity 2018.3.x?

14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Should be fine:)

15. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

Is this possible for a multiplayer game??

16. razzraziel

razzraziel

any news on version 2.0?

17. chrisk

chrisk

2018.3 has been release for a while and I'm wondering about the update.
    What features are in v2? Anything interesting cooking?
    Thanks.

18. chrisk

chrisk

I have one additional question on Nested Prefab

I'm wondering how WS will work with nested prefab. For example, a building containing many props.
    Building itself is on a Big Layer and the props are in a Small Layer.
    Building and the prop are made of nested prefabs, thus have hierarchical structures.
    Does WS works for the nested prefab? If not, will v2 support it?
    If they are put into different layers, will it break the nested prefab?

Thanks.

19. MostHated

MostHated

This works just fine with multiplayer, you just have to export the terrain colliders only and make sure you have them static on the server side if you aren't doing origin shifting. You technically coouulllddd do shifting in multiplayer, but it would be a pain because clients can't just go around trying to shift their origin willy nilly, the server thinks they are one place, but then it will technically just end up teleporting them another.

You can do this if you create some sort of local position/server position reference system. If the player is at 5000,0,5000 originally, then moves to 0,0,0 locally, you would have to still store the server's position and as you move around on the client it would have to keep the offset and then transmit that. It definitely could open the door to people trying to hack the difference between the two numbers though. There is a lot that has to be thought about, lol.

I would definitely love to hear what is in store for V2 though, as well. : D

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Our main goal is to rebuild whole UI and way of define streaming but we still finishing few things at the same time ;/. We will release R.A.M 2.0 as first then we will move into WS probably to finish its 2.0 version. To be honest there shoudnt be rush because we don't want to do our work few times as unity currently rebuild streaming in whole engine. Unity just released new gc which removes spikes. Terrain now doesnt need terrain neighbour script. Soon there will be even more stuff as we had talk to unity team. OFC ECS and more too...Thats why we wait so long time it's a bit worst moment to rebuild beside that we should update manual and few scripts for 2018.3

About big multiplayer games:
    Server instances like:
    World 0-10500 server 1
    World 10500- 20500 server 2
    In area between player is connected to 2 servers.

21. chrisk

chrisk

Sounds like it will be a while until the update and when v2 comes out, the thing will just work better and faster.
    I understand about Unity is in fluke, but what about the nested prefab issues.
    Any advice on how to work with nested prefab in the meantime?
    It is more like workflow issues rather than performance.
    Please read my last post above for more details.

Thanks

22. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

I am having a bit of trouble. I followed the tutorials and set up a test scene with a hallway. It seems to stream in fine going one way but the sections don't seem to sit right next to each other on every piece. So when you walk back through the hallway it doesn't spawn in at a certain point. Essentially I am trying to make it stream in a few rooms around the player but the rooms could be all sorts of different sizes. https://gyazo.com/49267ed7a1b9077efb2edbee54fdcc07

23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Check objects pivots in relation to streamer grid.

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I think such construction is rather non usefull. For such cases you got colider streamer. nIt would be pretty hard to manage all this scenes in such way. As we stream scenes we have nothing to prefabs at all currently. It will work with everything. Anyway as ecs comes we will see what we can do.

25. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

Is there a tutorial that better explains using collider streaming in combination with Layer streaming? I can get either one to work by itself but not combined together. My whole world is comprised of rooms and sometimes loading a room with a collider slows it down too much so I would like to have the room start like 3 or for layers to start loading.

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Why it slowdown? Too much data or?

27. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

It is for VR so the loads have to be pretty small to not experience the steam compositor loading screen.

28. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, did you take a look at MegaCity? They release the asset at GDC 2019. One of the interesting things is that they support sub-scene streaming. It supports streaming low level LOD first and it also talks about low-level LOD can stay once it's loaded without being destroyed if desired.

If we use the same setup, we don't have to have so many scene files. We can have one Scene file for one Grid element and stream in part of the scene, such as Small, Medium, Large, and also different LODs separately. It will defienely make the Scene management easier and I hope there are some peformance improvements as well. What do you think? Is there something we can take an advantage here?

It's really exciting and I really curious where World Streamer is headed.

awesomedata likes this.
  29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Let we release r.a.m 2.0 first and we will sit into it:) for sure we will check possibilities from that project.

awesomedata and chrisk like this.
  30. awesomedata

awesomedata

Haha -- I came here to ask that exact question. :)

I was playing with the World Streamer demo yesterday, and to be honest, I found the demo a little underwhelming performance-wise (even before the release of the ECS + texture/scene streaming features. )

It got me thinking -- I have yet to seriously integrate World Streamer into any projects because I keep running into the same need to see long distances. And if performance stutters even with such a low draw distances (and heavy fog) like it does in the demo, I can't really justify using it in a serious open-world project. :(

Using the "Curved Worlds" plugin to avoid the crippling low draw-distances in the airplane video was clever, but I can't do that in any of my use-cases.

I really do think it's a good idea to use ECS streaming like in the Mega City demo.

That being said -- I too am excited and curious as to the future of World Streamer.

I would really like to put World Streamer to good use for once!

JBR-games likes this.
  31. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Truth is if we would release ws on 2018.3 we would have to rebuild it for 2019.1 :D

32. awesomedata

awesomedata

I feel your pain...

Lots of developers (including myself) are having to rewrite (and redesign!) many core things (in my case, nearly my entire asset!) from the ground up thanks to a new feature in 2019.1!

IMO -- This is a good problem to have! -- Thanks to these new engine/editor capabilities, I can provide the ultimate value to people who use and trust my tools to work when/where/how they need them! -- Those very same people talk about my tools, recommending them to their like-minded friends! And since nothing ever goes away on the internet, a good name gets more valuable with time. Providing exceptional value (even when it costs, and you don't have to) speeds this process up! -- The simple act of a "surprise gift" just naturally makes people happy enough to talk about its source.

Just my two-cents. :)

33. razzraziel

razzraziel

well still waiting to buy if it would be good with new unity versions. i hope you wont postpone for 2019.1 & 2019.2 too?

awesomedata likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

great work. that would be amazing for a multiplayer setup!!

35. chrisk

chrisk

Now that RAM v2 (2019) has been released, are you going to be working on WS full steam? I really hope so and we can take advantage of what MegaCity is doing in WS soon.
    Subscene streaming will simplify quite a lot of thing and improve performance quite a bit, I hope.

Cheers!

awesomedata likes this.
  36. awesomedata

awesomedata

Is this something you're looking into doing, @NatureManufacture ?

I feel like it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get some official input on this...

JBR-games and razzraziel like this.
  37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes, we currently work on WS 2019:)

chrisk, awesomedata and razzraziel like this.
  38. awesomedata

awesomedata

The awesomeness!! :D

So one MAJOR request I have is to give the ability to increase the draw distance (by plugging-in either Amplify Imposters (paid) or IMP (which is free) to let us procedurally bake imposters for large cells of land/details. These can be streamed in later before the individual (smaller) scenes/cells within the imposter's loading zone (or the HLOD itself) gets loaded.

Generating these giant imposter cells manually alongside your system is a pretty huge task because we will eventually have to hook into WS, which means learning the source code and how it works.

Loading the impostors and HLODs during the streaming process is necessary for the large draw distances of today's games. The old system really won't work for this.
    So to make that loading process more simple, letting WS request the actual generation of those impostors and HLODs procedurally (at the right moments) and then taking the resulting data and making it streamable via ECS would make the whole process a breeze for the user and suddenly make true open-worlds for Unity accessible.

Add onto WS the texture-streaming for imposters (that games like Fortnite require for their incredible view distances), and we'd be golden. :)

Any chance of any of this happening? D:

razzraziel and runningbird like this.
  39. razzraziel

razzraziel

awesomedata likes this.
  40. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its good time to gather all ideas and requests:)

41. luellasfpg

luellasfpg

Hi! I'm interested in purchasing World Streamer, but I have a few questions about multiplayer streaming and floating point origin fix system for multiplayer.

So for example, will the world be streamed relative to the position of one player, or will the world streaming be different for each local player?

Also, say we have a player that shoots a bullet at a victim (using Unity physics), but then the player moves past the threshold for the floating point. Then will the positions all shift correctly so that the bullet still hits the victim?

Is it possible to try World Streamer before we buy, or to get a refund on the Asset Store if we find that it doesn't fit our needs?

Thank you!

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Streaming is client side not server. Server should use clusters for huge worlds - few servers that connect player by position.

Bullet is network object instanced at client from server in such case.

When player or object cross floating point it should be connected to with servers for moment etc.

Anyway we provide model and object load and unload system. For network solution try atavism. We co-op with them in many aspects and world streamer is fully compatibile with their stuff.

https://atavismonline.com/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  43. chrisk

chrisk

How's it going on revamping WorldStreamer? I hope you got enough ideas/feedback by now.
    For me, I would like easier subscene management, basically like the one from MegaCity.
    Thanks for the update.

44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Slowly but forward:) we close old cases aswell as it's holiday time here:)

45. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I understand the implementation will take a while but please share the goal of WS 2.0. I'm really curious to know what the new WS will look like. We can perhaps discuss them on paper first before it gets final.
    Cheers!

awesomedata and razzraziel like this.
  46. jobobbel

jobobbel

Hi, @NatureManufacture ! Uhm, I got this to work with untity 2019.3 but I get framerates of only 30 fps... am i missing something? Read manual a few times... Terrain is 4km by 4km, lots of trees and such stuff. First I had Gaia Tree Spawned, but they loaded always all trees together. That fixed by using unitys tree painting. Other assets Aquas and Enviro. Any tips or hints? Thanks in advance! :)
    EDIT Forgot to mention that this is in build. Without unity. Thanks!
    EDIT2 Im sorry, loading still all trees at once... any way around this?...
    ...EDIT... okay, will use VegetationStudio... never mind

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    NatureManufacture likes this.
  47. awesomedata

awesomedata

I second this notion.

Looks like WorldStreamer is about to fall of your site's asset page. Makes me curious what you might be going for in 2019 WS. Perhaps you have assets with a higher priority atm?

48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We have separated team for streamer and foliage assets. We slowly build new core for it. Then we will back to you for new features.

49. wlad_s

wlad_s

Is it possible to stream only 4 terrain tiles? Currently, I’ve only managed to make it stream either 1 or 9. That is, if distance is less than 1, it streams only one tile and if the distance is 1, it streams nine.

What I’d like it to do is to stream the next tile only if I’ve approached it by third of the length (passing two thirds of the current tile length). That way, the max number of tiles present will be 4.

50. awesomedata

awesomedata

This is where hexagonal tiles are useful -- you'd only need to stream in 7 tiles instead of a full 9 to get a decent draw distance. Then, if possible, these could be culled (or turned into imposters) if something is in the way.

That's exactly what they did on the latest Spiderman games in order to enable streaming New York -- They used a basic square grid tile, the chopped the corners off to make it hexagonal (in the calculation). Then, in the distance, they used imposters (with depth maps) to simulate far away complex 3d geometry (like New York skyscrapers with reflective windows) that seemed to have parallax.

I really think World streamer should totally be capable of doing this hexagonal tile thing.

This is standard practice in the industry these days. It hides the grid from the player a lot better too. The world around you seems to be loaded from a circular radius rather than from a very distinguishable grid structure.

Lars-Steenhoff, kepesh and wlad_s like this.