Search Unity

[RELEASED] World Political Map - Globe Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Nicely said. Thanks a lot!

2. Boemak

Boemak

Can I zoom in further? I am using the newest version with an OpenStreet map tile server and the maximum zoom level is still a bit far off.

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes. If you're trying the SlippyMap demo scene, change the Distance Min from 0.2 to 0.05 and you will be able to zoom in a bit more. You can also increase the globe gameobject scale as well.

Cheers!

4. Boemak

Boemak

I already have it at 0, so this should be already be the max zoom distance right?

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes - but note that the actual screen size of the map also depends on the Globe scale.

Using the SlippyMap demo scene as a reference, this is what I get when setting Distance Min to 0.05:

And the camera:

6. Boemak

Boemak

The scale of the globe did the trick. Reasonable now that I think of it. Thanks!

Kronnect likes this.
  7. Boemak

Boemak

BTW the fade in of the tiles in the new version is really slick. Well done :)

Kronnect likes this.
  8. digiross

digiross

He Thrawn, how goes the next update?

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Latest beta has been already submitted to the Asset Store.
    If you have access to the beta group, you can also grab it form kronnect.com's support forum :)

Cheers!

digiross likes this.
  10. digiross

digiross

Nice. Is that the update with the fog of war? :c)

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Nope, that’s not ready yet. Still working on that.

digiross likes this.
  12. Kronnect

Kronnect

As we talk... v9.3.2 is now live :)

This update brings refinements to recent features:

Changelog:
    - Hexagonal grid now accepts colors with transparency
    - Tile System: added "Custom" server option
    - Performance optimizations to tile system navigation
    - Change: AddLine method now returns a LineMarkerAnimator reference instead of the GameObject reference. To get the line GameObject reference just use the .gameObject property of the LineMarkerAnimator. - [Fix] Fixed tile system navigation issues on Unity 2017.1
    - [Fix] Fixed Earth rotation when switching between Camera Rotates and Earth Rotates mode.
    - [Fix] Fixed camera rotation when zoom mode set to Earth Rotates and zoom tilt is used

digiross likes this.
  13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Here's a preview of the new Fog of War feature to be introduced in v10:

Although the demo is using a "brush-mode", the API will allow you to set the amoung of fog over any world position, including radius and opacity, but also you will be able to specify a cell, country or province to clear fog around those entities.

A fully-functional beta should be available today on kronnect.com's forum for registered customers.

digiross likes this.
  14. digiross

digiross

Looking good!

Kronnect likes this.
  15. Kronnect

Kronnect

V10 is here!

Change log:
    - New feature: fog of war! New Demo scene 11.
    - Added new menu entry to quickly create a Globe gameObject (under top menu GameObject / 3D Object)
    - API: Added allowShowProvinces field to Country object
    - Improved performance of outline shader, now slightly modified to produce a relief effect
    - Highlight shader now can tint existing surfaces with applied textures
    - Outline now accepts a secondary color (Outline Edge Color) which adds a "relief touch" when several countries are colored
    - [Fix] Fixed country highlight glitch when using decorator

digiross likes this.
  16. Eric-Hackathorn

Eric-Hackathorn

A quick request for future releases:

There are a bunch of float.Parse methods that break when running in a foreign language.
    They should specify the invariant culture when loading data, such as:
    float.Parse (cityInfo [4], CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

Kronnect likes this.
  17. Kronnect

Kronnect

V10.2.1 now available!

Recent changes:
    - Tickers: new options to keep texts centered on the screen irrespective of globe rotation (API: horizontalOffsetAutomatic and stayOnCenter properties)
    - Tickers: added Text Anchor property to control text alignment (defaults to MiddleCenter)
    - New demo scene 12: UI Canvas demo
    - Path Finding: per edge costs. New APIs (see manual)
    - Demo scene 11 (Hexagonal Grid and Path Finding) updated with new examples
    - [Fix] Added CultureInfo.InvariantCulture to all float parsing instructions to support foreign languages
    - [Fix] Tweaked some shaders z-buffer offset

digiross likes this.
  18. Kronnect

Kronnect

V10.3 now available:

Recent changes:
    - New "Allowed Axis" option to restrict rotation axis
    - Map Editor: added new gear icon menu option to find/fix repeated province names
    - API: FlyToCountry, FlyToProvince, FlyToCity no accept destination zoom level
    - Inverted Mode: added some lacking features wrt normal mode
    - [Fix] Fixed some provinces names
    - [Fix] Fixed 'show states names' example to prevent text showing on the back of the globe

digiross likes this.
  19. hdpike

hdpike

Why would I place the dots on the surface of the earth? Could there be a way to keep him from sticking to the surface of the earth

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

You can multiply the sphereLocation by a factor of the radius of the Earth to make your markers float. For instance:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 spherePos = Conversion.GetSpherePointFromLatLon(0, 0) * 1.1f;
    2. GameObject obj = GameObject.CreatePrimitive(PrimitiveType.Sphere);
    3. map.AddMarker(obj, spherePos, 0.01f);
    Does this help? If you're using another method to position your markers, let me know.

21. hdpike

hdpike

Thank you for your reply, but the way I feel is not what I want. I want to have the earth as the center, setting the longitude, latitude and altitude and then position the object to the corresponding height.Instead of sticking to the surface of the earth

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yep I understand and a height argument will be added into next version for convenience :)

In the meanwhile it should be easy to convert to, if you're using real world coordinates and assuming your height value is in meters, you could just use this formula:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float multiplierToSphereLocation = (radiusOfEarth + yourHeightInMeters) / radiusOfEarth;
    And replace the 1.1f by this multiplier into the sample code of the previous post.

Please note that circular markers (non game object or sprite based) are only supported at ground level since they are blended with the Earth texture.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  23. hdpike

hdpike

I can now create objects at the height I want.But instead of using the AddLine method in the project, I can't connect this point to the point on the earth,

2, AddLine and its own LineRenderer are not the same implementation principle?

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

AddLine internally normalizes the position of the vertices and it assumes a constant radius of 0.5 so it does not support elevation currently. I'll improve that in next version so you can pass your own elevation value in some way as with the points.

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Done. AddLine now supports elevation.

Example:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             Vector3 start = Conversion.GetSpherePointFromLatLon(0, 0, 1000000);
    2.             Vector3 end = Conversion.GetSpherePointFromLatLon(40, 40, 2000000);
    3.             GameObject g0 = GameObject.CreatePrimitive(PrimitiveType.Sphere);
    4.             GameObject g1 = GameObject.CreatePrimitive(PrimitiveType.Sphere);
    5.             map.AddMarker(g0, start, 0.01f, false, 0, false);
    6.             map.AddMarker(g1, end, 0.01f, false, 0, false);
    7.             map.AddLine(start, end, Color.yellow, 0.2f, 3f, 0.01f, 0);
    Result:

The changes will be available in next beta today.

26. hdpike

hdpike

OK Thank very match

27. hdpike

hdpike

Where is the test version downloaded?Or in AssetStore?

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beta versions are released on our support forum on kronnect.com - the usual way to download them is to sign up on that forum and send me your invoice number, so you get access to the private board.

Or send me a private message with your invoice number and I’ll send you a copy of the current beta.

29. hdpike

hdpike

How do I find my Invoice number in my AssetStore

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

V10.4 is now available on the Asset Store. Change log below:

- Map Editor: added new option to convert a province into a new country
    - Added "Sync Time of Day"
    - Added support for elevation in Conversion methods
    - AddLine now supports elevation
    - Added "Main Camera" property in inspector
    - Added real skybox 6x2K resolution cubemap derived from Tycho star catalogue (in new Universe section in inspector)
    - Added Moon option (in new Universe section in inspector)
    - Added Ambient Light option to Scenic Scatter styles
    - Behaviour change: OnProvinceBeforeEnter now keeps country highlighted if province highlighted is cancelled
    - Behaviour change: provinces of countries with allowShowProvinces set to false no longer highlight
    - Province: added "hidden" attribute
    - [Fix] VR: Added support for Stereo non-headmounted mode
    - [Fix] Fixed British Columbia borders issue

31. MojoMagus

MojoMagus

Hi, great asset. Just one thing - it doesn't seem to have the Republic of Seychelles. Could you please include this country in the map for your next release? Thanks.

32. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks!

Seychelles is there indeed, but it's too small to appear in the Low Definition file. Just enable High Definition frontiers and you should be able to navigate to it (also appears in Map Editor):

33. MojoMagus

MojoMagus

Ok, that's great, thanks for the clarification!

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Another update has been released!

Version 10.5 changes:

- Support for texturing provinces in ToggleProvinceRegion methods
    - Change: country highlight now shows behind any colored or textures province
    - Added a security check when assigning a new Font to prevent issues with Dynamic Fonts
    - WPM Globe Edition now requires Unity 5.5.0 or later
    - API change: GetCityIndex(provinceIndex, cityName) refactored to GetCityIndexInProvince(provinceIndex, cityName)
    - API: added GetCityIndexInProvince and GetCityIndexInCountry
    - [Fix] Fixed color issue with provinces sharing the same color than others incorrectly
    - [Fix] Fixed FlyTo rotation issue when globe scale is big and camera rotation is set to Camera Rotates

35. Kronnect

Kronnect

A quick test/demo of the new Ambient Light parameter for scenic styles:

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there!

Sharing a cool screenshot from Between the Stars game using Beautify to add sci-fi look (image enhancement, bloom+anamorphic flares plus gorgeous animated Sun lens flares).

37. Kronnect

Kronnect

Version 10.6 is now available. This is the biggest update since v10. Enjoy!

Changes:

- Improved Scenic & Scatter Earth styles. New parameters exposed.
    - Perspective cloud shadows (honors Sun light direction)
    - Scenic style refactored and no longers require globe scale = 1.
    - New bump mapping option
    - Added optional navigation bounce effect (navigation bounce in inspector, API: navigationBounceIntensity)
    - Lines now support textures. Example: build road. Demo scene 10 (Hexagonal Grid)
    - New variable width frontiers for countries
    - New option to include all country regions when highlighting
    - New "Double Sided" option when Show Earth is off which renders full wireframe
    - Overlay layer no longer forces a default layer number so you can change it to use any layer (useful for masking bloom effect on country labels with Beautify)
    - Map Editor: improvements to polygon operations
    - API: new CountryTransferCell, ProvinceTransferCel : merges a cell border with a country or province
    - API: new GellCells function : returns cells inside a country with options
    - API: BlinkCountry/BlinkProvince: added smoothBlink parameter
    - [Fix] Fixed hexagonal grid material dictionary look up bug which causes performance issues when coloring/texturing many cells
    - [Fix] Fixed hexagonal grid material transparency issue
    - [Fix] Map Editor: fixed camera out of frustum console error when using the Toggle Zoom button
    - [Fix] Fixed Time of Day sync formula error
    - [Fix] Negative scaling on country labels was breaking dynamic batching on labels

38. imaewyn

imaewyn

I have question. What should I do if I want to remove cities? And which file keeps city information?

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Ensure Show Cities checkbox is off in Globe Inspector.
    The file with city data is inside WorldPoliticalMapGlobeEdition/Resources/Geodata folder and is named cities10.txt
    Regards.

40. imaewyn

imaewyn

Hello. Thank you for answer. In wchich moment this file are filling from world map editor? F. e. if I manually clearing this file in scneview cities are not disappering immediatly...

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

If city icons have been generated then you need to remove them as well - expand the globe gameobject and remove the child node "Cities".

42. imaewyn

imaewyn

Ok. I've done it. After that I placed one town on the map but file still no updated

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

How did you place the city object? Geodata file won't update automatically if you place objects on the map. In Globe Edition the geodata files are only updated in Unity Editor using the Map Editor component (click on "Open Map Editor" at the bottom of globe's inspector). Note that these geodata files are resources so they need to be compiled during build generation hence they cannot be modified at runtime.

If you need a dynamic solution, you can implement your own storage system for custom data using System.IO.File and save/load custom objects or cities and place them on the map at runtime using the API.

44. imaewyn

imaewyn

Yes, I've placed city using Map Editor Mode and geodata . I want to customize my globe in unity editor. Project has several demo scenes but only one directory with cities geodata. So I don't fully understand what should I do if i want have to scenes with different geodatas...

45. Kronnect

Kronnect

In that case you’ll need to edit the method that loads the city file (ReadCitiesPackedString) so it can read from other files according to the scene you have open.
    This is a minor change that I’ll gladly include in the next version. Please sign up on our support forum on kronnect.com and send me a pm with your invoice number to get access to the latest beta release.
    The new version will also be available on the Asset Store next week probably.
    Regards.

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

The plague has started in WPM Globe Edition. What will you do? :)
    New demo scene in latest beta, soon on the Asset Store:

digiross likes this.
  47. thomasglitchr

thomasglitchr

Hello,

I'm using your asset on a cross-platform capital quizz project (Android, iOS, WebGL) and I must say your asset is very well done.

But I've got a big issue: the OnClick event is not fired on Android only (it works fine on iOS and WebGL). Could you tell me how can we fix this?

Cheers.

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,

I have checked Android interaction with demo scene 1 "General Demo" and it works as expected.
    Added this code to Demo.cs script in Start():

Code (CSharp):
    1. map.OnCountryClick += (int countryIndex, int regionIndex) => map.ToggleCountrySurface(countryIndex, true, Color.yellow);
    And countries get yellow when clicking over them on Android.

Perhaps the "Respect Other UI" option is enabled and you have some blocking UI element?

49. thomasglitchr

thomasglitchr

Hello,

Thanks for your fast reply but I was talking about the OnClick event, not the OnCountryClick, which seems to work on my Android device indeed.

I tried to disable the "Respect Other UI" option but the OnClick event still doesn't fire on Android (my device is a Samsung Galaxy S7)

It sounds weird right?

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

Some Android devices can report different screen positions during the click stages. In that case yes, the OnClick event could not be fired because it could be confused with a drag. I've added a small drag / timing threshold so it can ignore this effect and report the OnClick correctly. The update will be available on our support forum - please sign up on kronnect.com's forum or send me your invoice number to download it.
    Thanks