Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D [RELEASED] Winter Forest Environment

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Fer00m, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey!
    The work is progressing well (although a bit slower due to holidays)!
    I have finished remaking white birch tree meshes set from scratch. The set now consists of 2 large, 4 medium, 4 small and 2 sapling meshes.
    Also the tree shader featuring wind and dynamic snow is 99% done along with a custom controller script which allows to customize the wind across all trees in the scene.

Here's a screenshot and video from HDRP 7.3, curious to know what you think!

nucleusprime and one_one like this.
  2. one_one

one_one

Great light and post processing setup as always!

Fer00m likes this.
  3. aganm

aganm

I like it! Will those support transition from summer/winter shading like the old ones?

Fer00m likes this.
  4. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @aganm

Old birch trees never had any summer variants and that's the same with new ones, but the new shader has dynamic snow coverage so snow can be completely removed from trees and props by adjusting a slider.

nucleusprime likes this.
  5. aganm

aganm

I'm most interested in using URP over HDRP personally. Your assets are just so beautiful, but I need to upgrade to URP ASAP because the built-in renderer is giving me horrible performance. I'm using the new DOTS technology and its hybrid renderer is 30 times faster in URP than the built-in renderer so I'm quite eager to upgrade :)

6. one_one

one_one

In that case you're likely CPU-bound and the render pipeline isn't the main culprit.

7. aganm

aganm

The render pipeline in question is the hybrid renderer v1. It is well known to be horrible performance wise and I have confirmed this with others. v2 fixes this, but v2 only works with SRP, so I can't use it until the assets I rely on update to SRP too.

one_one likes this.
  8. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey everyone, update time!
    I spent all February working on spruce trees. I was experimenting with different branch textures, branch model shapes and vertex normals to get it to light consistently across built-in and HDRP, which proved to be a challenge.

Here is a quick test from HDRP:

And the whole family:

The snow is of course dynamic, controlled on both material and global level.

one_one, TerraUnity, gecko and 3 others like this.
  9. Sailendu

Sailendu

Looks really awesome, keep up the good work.

10. aganm

aganm

Incredible quality. That's even better than most triple A games :D

11. Fer00m

Fer00m

Thanks, really happy you like it!
    Today I have sneakpeak of the oak trees I'm working on now - scanned bases for large and small trees:

one_one likes this.
  12. aganm

aganm

I love those trunks. Looks extremely natural. Have you tried rendering them with URP too? I'd be curious to see how they look in URP since that's what I'll be using.

13. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey there, back with some updates!

@aganm Sorry to keep you waiting so long! I've been really busy at work, but now I have some new ready content to show off, rendered in URP!

I have finished all of the oak trees, and started remaking pine trees. Originally I aimed only to port over the old pines, but they just didn't look very good so I decided to remake the meshes from scratch while using the scan data I already had.

Additionally, I created completely new grass set! I also have some more wood debris, stones and pine/spruce cones waiting to be scanned and made into clutter meshes to decorate the scenes at micro scale.
    I also want to port over the older plants/grass meshes.

Additionally I'm planning to scan few terrain surfaces to create more tileable terrain textures. Unfortunately, so far the weather isn't really ideal - it's either too sunny, too rainy or it's still snowing.

And finally some pictures (rendered in URP 7.2):

Not winter enough, isn't it? No problem, the snow is controlled by a single slider in a script. It affects all trees, rocks and props. Important to note though, that it does not affect the terrain itself!

Peek at the oak tree set and grass set:

14. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

The snow is so much beautiful and realistic!

15. aganm

aganm

This is magnificent. Best graphics I've seen in Unity ever.

16. GrapePaste

GrapePaste

Unity says the asset has been deprecated?

damunzy and AndersonMarquess like this.
  17. damunzy

damunzy

Fer00m,

I too am getting this error when trying to redeem the code I got through Humble Bundle. I am hoping this is a temporary issue? Your assets look great. I'm really liking the Fantasy Forest!

18. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @damunzy
    I deprecated the pack as I am preparing to launch the new, upgraded version of the pack. I will republish the old pack for the duration of HB keys validity, it should be back online in few days. I will let you know through a PM.

GrapePaste likes this.
  19. KarelA

KarelA

Hi. Do the current owners have to rebuy the pack or will this be a free upgrade?

GrapePaste likes this.
  20. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey everyone, time for an update!

I've happy to say that the work is finished and the pack has been submitted for Unity staff review! Here is a video from HDRP demo scene and some screenshots.

Screenshots:

@KarelA
    The new pack will be released as a seperate pack, but there is an upgrade path to the new one. All existing owners will be able to upgrade into the new pack completely for free for the duration of 3 months since release, and after that it will be available at greatly reduced price. I will let know in this thread once the pack is live.

21. KarelA

KarelA

Thank you. This looks absurdly amazing. Cant wait for it to be available. :)

GrapePaste likes this.
  22. Fer00m

Fer00m

23. aganm

aganm

I love the new pack :O

One thing, I have an issue with the latest update of the winter forest in the built-in renderer. When I open the demo scenes, my ground doesn't have textures like it should have. I'm using 2020.3.13. Can someone confirm this issue?

24. Fer00m

Fer00m

@aganm Just to be sure, do you mean the old Winter Forest Environment pack and not the Valley Forest one?

25. aganm

aganm

Yes indeed.

The new valley forest works perfectly.

It's the old winter forest environment, since the 1.1 update, when I import it, my ground has no texture

upload_2021-7-16_15-10-3.png

I noticed that when I remove the package from my project and reimport the package, I get a shader error:

Shader error in 'Hidden/Camera-DepthNormalTexture': undeclared identifier 'OUT' at Components/Shaders/Includes/CTI_Builtin4xTreeLibraryTumbling.cginc(518) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE _NORMALMAP
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Disabled keywords: LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE _METALLICGLOSSMAP _EMISSION INSTANCING_ON UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING SHADER_API_GLES30

Not sure if this is related.

(using Unity 2020 LTS version 2020.3.14, built-in renderer)

26. elpimbo

elpimbo

Looks really beautiful! I would like to try it out on URP.

But probably a dumb question: should the upgrade still be for free? In the store it's 50% off (still a great price, but considering I already have the older version...) Maybe I am too late or did I buy the depricated version too early?

Anyway: keep up the great work!

27. Fer00m

Fer00m

@aganm It seems I forgot to include the auto-generated terrain layer assets (in Unity 2019 changed how terrain textures work). I will send them to you via PM as soon as I can! As for that error, try deleting the CTI_Camera-DepthNormalTexture file from CTI Runtime Components/Resources folder.

@elpimbo
    Glad you like it, the pack supports URP as well! I didn't include any URP screenshots as it should look identical to built-in. The initial free for all upgrade has now expired and now there's only free grace period for those who purchased the old pack after 10th of April. However there's still 50% discount for all owners of Winter Forest, and that discount is permanent, so no need to hurry!

elpimbo likes this.
  28. Razputin

Razputin

In the new version of this asset I get a bunch of shader errors when imported into a new HDRP project. Not really familiar with shaders, any idea what these are from?

Shader error in 'TriForge/Winter Forest/Leaf': failed to open source file: 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/ShaderLibrary/ShaderGraphHeader.hlsl' at line 345 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with INSTANCING_ON DECALS_4RT LIGHT_LAYERS _DOUBLESIDED_ON _ALPHATEST_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

29. Fer00m

Fer00m

@Razputin
    Are you sure your project is actually HDRP template? If so, what Unity and HDRP version is it?

30. Razputin

Razputin

Yes, I was on 2019. I just upgraded to 2021 and the summer environment seems to work fine, but the camera on the winter scene is just straight white?

upload_2021-8-10_13-58-59.png

31. Razputin

Razputin

upload_2021-8-10_14-2-15.png non winter for comparison

32. Razputin

Razputin

I fixed it, the directional light is starting with a value of 10000 instead of like 1, and the exposure for the gradient sky is starting at 14 instead of something else like 1.

33. Fer00m

Fer00m

I would suggest using the supported HDRP version (HDRP 10.4 for Unity 2020.3 LTS), which is mentioned at the top of description on the store, as well as the included documentation.

I'm unable to replicate the issue with winter overcast scene, I imported it into a fresh project in Unity 2021.1.15f and the scene appears as intended. The values used are correct and intended as HDRP lights use actual physical measurements and its strength is expressed in lux. Instead I'd recommend changing only Post Exposure value in Global Volume > Color Adjustments.

34. seldemirov

seldemirov

Hello everyone.
    I am trying to add an environment to my HDRP project. But I don't see scenes and models marked with HDRP in the kit. Can someone tell me what to do? Or maybe there is an instruction somewhere?