Search Unity

[RELEASED] WhatScript | Name Missing Scripts

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jesselampert, Nov 28, 2023.

1. jesselampert

jesselampert

Hi all,

I've released my first asset for the asset store: https://u3d.as/3a2Q

Instead of just telling you that a script is missing, with WhatScript, the Unity Inspector will now also tell you the filename of the missing script too.

It's something I've always wanted in Unity, and once I realized there was an elegant way to implement it, I made it myself.

The asset comes with full source code. I hope you'll check it out, and that you find it useful!

It works in two ways:
    1. If WhatScript is installed before a script goes missing, it can reference an internal database and instantly tell you what it was.
    2. If you want to use WhatScript to discover a script that has already gone missing and you are using Git for version control: You can use an inline button in the Inspector to search your Git commit history to locate the origins of the script.

Note: If a script was never committed to Git or tracked via the internal database, it cannot be named. This is most likely to come up if you had a package in your project before installing WhatScript, and that package code was never committed to Git. (Package-based scripts added to your project once WhatScript is installed will be fully tracked.)

ChocDino likes this.