Search Unity

[RELEASED] Wet Stuff: Water Decals

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aphid, May 24, 2018.

1. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

I don't have either of those consoles so I can't say for sure, but it should work the same anywhere that the Unity built in renderer is supported in deferred mode.

2. MysleyMakers

MysleyMakers

Since URP now has an option to use Deferred Rendering, would Wet Stuff be compatible with it?
    upload_2022-7-5_14-34-34.png

Nyarlathothep likes this.
  3. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Unfortunately not :(

We've investigated porting Wet Stuff to work on both URP and HDRP and as far as we can tell it can't be done with either of them. In both renderers Unity have made the decision to not provide direct access to the GBuffer, which Wet Stuff requires (both read and write) to work. To be honest that's a pretty sensible choice for Unity, it means they can change around the GBuffer format at will without worrying about backwards compatibility, but it's a bit unfortunate for us!

FM-Productions and MysleyMakers like this.
  4. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

That is definitely sad, would love wet stuff in URP/HDRP.
    Has this been reported to the graphics team as a wanted feature?
    I have not enough understanding on graphics, so I can't really deliver the right words to them.
    But if nobody writes a message to them, its not going to ever be considered or worked on.

At least to provide you a specific entry point to where you need it to be in the GBuffer for your purposes.

Best to write to them to be added to the wishlist.
    Roadmap: https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/rendering-visual-effects
    URP: https://forum.unity.com/forums/universal-render-pipeline.383/
    HDRP: https://forum.unity.com/forums/high-definition-render-pipeline.386/

The roadmap seems to be very important for pushing decisions seeing how the staffs always refers to the roadmap for additional features wishlist. (They probably need enough votes to push decisions upwards)
    They also seems to be pretty active on both URP & HDRP forum.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  5. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

When we first investigated this for HDRP @Aphid was in contact with the team developing it, so they were aware then. I don't believe we ever directly contacted the URP team.

Unfotunately the problem is that this isn't simply a feature we want developed, instead it would require Unity committing to one single GBuffer format and sticking to it forever. From their replies to us an other similar requests it's pretty clear that they really don't want to do that - it's a huge drag on future development for them.

6. Crossway

Crossway

Hi, when my character getting wet under the rain is that possible to convert it to dry slowly when entering a building? I mean when the character enters dry area...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  7. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

If you've got a wet decal specifically attached to your character you could have a script which detects when you've gone indoors and then slowly start reducing the Saturation of the decal to make it appear as if it's drying up. You could also consider increasing the softness of the layer mask, which makes the wetness decal fuzzier at the edges - as if the water is soaking into clothes as it dries.

Crossway likes this.
  8. khos

khos

9. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Some materials aren't compatible with Wet Stuff if they are forward rendered - Wet Stuff requires deferred shading.

We've got some docs here which explain how you can check what things in your scene are compatible. Only thing visible in the frame debugger at that stage will be modified by the effect.

10. khos

khos

Question if ok, when the decals fall onto the terrain and other objects, can those objects "stick" to that object. Scenario I have is a vehicle is driving though the rain but the decals do not stay on the vehicle, the decal renders in one position, it looks weird on any moving object. I'm thinking to use a hinge method attach the decal to the parent object it collides with, not sure how best go about this, any ideas are welcome.

11. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

If you have something like a moving vehicle you should be able to attach the decals to the vehicle by putting the decal as a child of the vehicle in the hierarchy - when the vehicle moves the decals will move with it. If you do that make sure to make your decals as small as possible - otherwise when the vehicle moves near the static terrain you'll see the terrain near the vehicle get wet (with a very high speed puddle!).

khos likes this.
  12. khos

khos

Cool, which object or script would I start at?

13. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

If you have a separate GameObject with the WetDecal script you should simply be able to drag that object in the hierarchy to be parented to your car GameObject.

If you're creating them dynamically at runtime it depends exactly how you're doing that. For example if you're using the particle splatter system built into WetStuff (docs) then any splatter decals should automatically be attached to whatever they hit. You can see this in action in the demo scene "Particles (Drip Drip Dip)", move the rock around and the splats will move with it.

khos likes this.
  14. khos

khos

Hmm, many thanks! I'll check what is happening in my scene, maybe the decals are too large (set by me) and that is making look wrong. Your help is much appreciated :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  15. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Is there a way that in when Shoot in puddles or drive trough them that water spalsh and because how can detect at terrain or water i can, but work it then also at our wet stuff decal how can detect your wet surface ? thank you

16. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

There's nothing like that built in, Wet Stuff is purely graphical. You'll have to add your own behaviours down when you place a puddle so that you can detect it later.

17. Crossway

Crossway

I want to use this tool to simulate blood splatter on walls and objects, but unfortunately, I cannot change its color to red :eek:

18. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Unfortunately Wet Stuff isn't really suitable for that. Water and blood look very different and the effect is tailored towards water and wetness.

We tested changing it to red once and it just looked like someone had spilled ribena :D