Search Unity

[RELEASED] Wet Stuff: Water Decals

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aphid, May 24, 2018.

1. Aphid

Aphid

WetStuffOnOff.jpg

Wet Stuff is a powerful set of layered and animated decals to simulate rain, puddles, damp, leaking pipes, and more - all without making modifications to any of your texture or shaders. Allow your artists to dramatically change the atmosphere of your scene in seconds with decals placed in the editor, or generate decals automatically by attaching them to particle systems.

Features

Surface Water Decals. Place "dampness" or shallow puddles into your scene without modification to any models or shaders.

Runtime Animation. Decal detail can be animated at runtime to simulate rain drops falling, puddles forming, dampness spreading, and drying. Dramatically increase the immersion of your environment's weather system in moments.

Particle System Integration. Simulate leaking pipes and roofs, or water pistol splashes by attaching wet decals to a Shuriken particle system, placing decals automatically on particle collisions with the environment.

Powerful Configuration. Multi-layered decals, multiple shapes, triplanar projection, and more.

Requirements

Requires Unity 2017.3+ with the Deferred Rendering Pipeline.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Gekigengar, transat, Mauri and 6 others like this.
  2. Aphid

Aphid

7_NoDecal_1024.jpg

Another example of a wet decal used to place a puddle into the scene, leaking from a piece of broken equipment. Detail textures allow us to place details such as the footprints.

Nyarlathothep likes this.
  3. tcmeric

tcmeric

Looking sharp! Will this support VR (ie single pass?).

4. Aphid

Aphid

We havn't tested this yet. Support should be transparent according to the Unity docs, but there are a couple places where we may be running a foul of bypassing some of the unity helper macros. This is expected to be supported by release, in either case.

tcmeric likes this.
  5. GCatz

GCatz

would be nice if this will support Enviro's rain and weather

6. one_one

one_one

Are you planning to upgrade it later on for HDRP?

7. Aphid

Aphid

It does not support it yet, but I do not see any major blockers with supporting it in the future. The GBuffer layout has changed, which will require writing alternative shaders, but the effect should still work. There are potential issues with the command buffer camera hooks we are currently using to insert our code into the pipeline that may or may not be supported in the HDRP, but we should be able to work around that.

Gekigengar, one_one and Nyarlathothep like this.
  8. marcatore

marcatore

Is it compatible with transparent shader? For example glass shader? For example, can I see the rain splashes on a puddle while I'm behind a glass window?

MarStr and Nyarlathothep like this.
  9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Very promising. I must admit the water decals add the certain something that I didn't know was missing when I toyed around with rain before :)

And yes, it looks awesome wet :D

Nyarlathothep, Aphid and blitzvb like this.
  10. Aphid

Aphid

The effect requires the deferred renderer path. It will not be visible on transparent objects, as Unity renders those with a forward renderer, although the effect should still be visible on solid objects behind any transparent ones.

HenryChinaski and Nyarlathothep like this.
  11. Wurlox

Wurlox

This asset will be an instant buy for me once it hits the stores. I am finally able to achieve fully dynamic global wetness and puddles using Wet Stuff together with Microsplat and Enviro. The puddles from Wet Stuff are really good for shallow depth and if you want deeper puddles you can just use Microsplat together with Wet Stuff:

Also like Rowlan already posted earlier the decals for particle emitters add so much impact to your scenes. That rain really looks amazing. Everything is easily accesible via code. I just needed a few lines of code to hook it up with Enviro.

I also have one feature request (if not already planned): Would it be possible to do some kind of raycasting to generate a texture that only covers areas where there is no gameobject in between the ground. Microsplat is doing that with the Wetness FX Painter already.

I use one global decal with noise for global wetness and would like to exclude areas that are under a roof so they don't get wet. It would be great if the asset could generate a suitable texture excluding such areas but still keeping the noise.

I will test more in depth soon. Thanks for making this great asset. :)

Regards,
    Wurlox

12. Aphid

Aphid

Wet Stuff has been released! You can now find it on the asset store.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  13. Rowlan

Rowlan

When I look at the "Particles (Splat)" demo I wonder if it's possible to use this also for blood splatter? Is there a way to change the color?

14. Aphid

Aphid

I have considered adding a color tint option, and while it is possible, it would incur a small performance hit and I am not sure how good it would look. It will need some experimentation before I could say for certain whether or not we will add it to Wet Stuff.

15. ibbybn

ibbybn

Using this to make the character drop water from its limbs after coming out of the water. Great stuff!

I'm wondering is there a way to add an array which defines all the objects affected by WetDecal. Would like to have the full character dry out over time. Moving a WetDecal object with the character also wets nearby objects. Haven't had luck adding any of the wet materials to the character as there is no saturation option then. Best solution would probably be just adding a 2nd wet material to the character as projection of details isn't very convincing on anything animated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just purchased this and trying to use it, I imported the asset, added the WetDecalPuddle prefab to my scene, added the Wet Stuff component to my camera, but when I click the Render Settings button in that component I get the error:
    UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Plugins/PlaceholderSoftware/WetSurfaceDecals/Resources\RenderSettings.asset failed.

There is no WetSurfaceDecals folder when the asset imports, it is just called WetStuff. Is that a known issue, do I just rename the folder?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  17. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Oops, WetSturfaceDecals was the working title before we renamed it to WetStuff not long before release. Looks like we missed the most important place to change that! :oops:

In Assets/Plugins/PlaceholderSoftware/WetStuff/Core/WetDecalsRootPath.cs there is a constant like this:

private const string BasePath = "Assets/Plugins/PlaceholderSoftware/WetSurfaceDecals";

Change that from "WetSurfaceDecals" to "WetStuff".

I should point out that the render settings are currently very minimal - just feature flags to help with debugging issues.

Unfortunately not. Wet Stuff works directly on the GBuffer, that's why it can automagically apply directly to any other object, unfortunately that also means there isn't really any definition of separate objects once it's all written into the GBuffer!

I was discussing this with Aphid earlier today and it's not an easy problem to solve - as you say projective decals just aren't great for animated objects. Adding another material to the character is an awfully expensive option (redrawing all the vertices, doubled pixel fill rate cost etc) so we'd like to avoid that if possible. Replacing the material on the character with one which support wetness is the ideal solution but that kind of material inflexibility is exactly what Wet Stuff was created to avoid!

Right now the best solution is probably to rig your character with multiple wet decal volumes (one per bone) and make them as tightly conforming to the character geometry as possible. Less than ideal to say the least! We'll give this some more thought :)

ibbybn and Mark_01 like this.
  18. DerSchakal

DerSchakal

Please also an update for Unity 5.6

19. Mark_01

Mark_01

Congratulations on the release! I got this as soon as it came out.

As unity has many non-coders .... would it be possible to get integration with some of the main
    weather systems on the store.. ? Enviro for sure and a few of the others. I would assume the
    authors of those systems would be more then happy to have Wet Stuff integrated.
    This will sell way more Units for you, being able to list interrogations on the store page.

Thank you for the asset and your consideration(s)

20. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

I'm afraid we're unlikely to do this. Every new version we decide to support adds a lot of complexity to the development process for new features - especially when that version doesn't support major features like timelines. Editor version statistics published by Unity show that 5.6 is only used by about 10% of users and falls by about 5% every 3 months - there just aren't enough potential sales for us to support 5.6, sorry :(

That's definitely something we're considering :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    one_one and Mark_01 like this.
  21. one_one

one_one

Sorry to everyone who'd like this, but that's a smart decision.

Integrations can be nice but they can also really bloat packages and development efforts.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    TeagansDad and Nyarlathothep like this.
  22. Mark_01

Mark_01

If bloating the package with interrogations ? If it's a big deal, then perhaps the other way to go,
    since a few dev's are doing this.....

Sell an integration as an ad-on ... ? even just say set price for 5 $

any ways once i saw i would need to code and or use this in a scene just using this system as is ...
    I more or less am not using it now.

I had figured it would be a matter of using the particles of rain in this package and just swap
    them out of the default rain particles in Enviro , with the masks of course...
    but it did not work.

23. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

We could sell an integration if it were a particularly large one. With our other product (Dissonance) we've always released the integrations for free (generally different network backends) with the thought that more integrations drives more sales to the main asset.

Is enviro using the default particle system for rain? If so the Wet Stuff particle spawner should work with it. However this will spawn a lot of decals and probably isn't the best approach for something like rain.

You should be able to set up a very large decal with white noise as it's layer mask texture, you can slowly increase the "input range threshold" (and maybe slightly tweak the softness) as it rains. You can do this from a pretty simple script or entirely from within a timeline. Demo 3 shows an example of doing this.

24. Mark_01

Mark_01

I think you are right about using Wet stuff for large scenes with rain. I am not sure if Enviro uses the default particles,
    what i did was add Wet Stuff particle as a second rain particle .. it seemed to kind of work,
    but not the way you would expect, so perhaps expect User error as usual... :D

The idea I had was to use CTS with Enviro as it does the terrain wetness ... so I was thinking to
    make masks mainly for houses to keep from spawning a ton of decals...

Which remind me I was going to PM and ask about a possible feature for Wet Stuff, that would be
    have the effect turn on only in a certain radius around the player, to keep the decal size down.

Please do not take me wrong, I like WET stuff, I think it is really cool and a good idea and great
    package. ( I 5 stared it in the Unity editor after I down loaded and saw the demo ) .

I came to Unity just before Version 5. So now I check and see if the developer has more then one -package
    on the store and how long they have been around. And so i had no problem, this was an instant
    buy for me, asap it hit the store. :)

It is a great asset, Thank you for making it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  25. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff 1.1.0 Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

We've added several new components to make it easy to use Wet Stuff with a weather system; DripLine, RainPuddle, AutoRainPuddle and BaseExternalWetnessSource. Of course we've also fixed a few bugs, check out the release notes for the full details.

Automatic Raindrops Highlight.jpg
    The Rain Puddle component can be manually toggled between "raining" and "drying" states. It animates a wet decal with a set of curves to make the puddle realistically expand and contract according to the state it's in. The Auto Rain Puddle component automatically toggles the states of a rain puddle in reaction to an External Wetness Source component.

The DripLine component automatically creates a particle system along a line and configures it to create tiny splashes on the floor where the particles land. The rate of the drips can be controlled by an External Wetness Source.

Enviro Drip Highlight.jpg

The External Wetness Source is what ties Wet Stuff into a weather system and drives the other components. You can implement this very simple component to read some information about the current weather state.

Finally, we have released a new asset on the store which integrates Wet Stuff with Enviro - Sky & Weather! This free package includes the scripts to automatically control the new Wet Stuff components with the Enviro weather as well as demo scenes to demonstrate how best to use.

WetToDry.jpeg
    DryToWet.jpg

It's not included in this release but we do have experimental support for single pass stereoscopic rendering! This seems to work fairly well in our tests so far but we'd really like some more testing in real-world VR games. Anyone who is interested in testing this out please contact me (martin@placeholder-software.co.uk).

26. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff 1.2.0 Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

We've added two new features to Wet Stuff with this release; Normal Smoothing and Single Pass Stereo Rendering. Read the full release notes here.

Single Pass Stereo Rendering is a rendering mode for XR projects, in this mode Unity renders both eyes into a single buffer which can significantly improve performance (docs), we've had a lot of requests to support this. With Wet Stuff 1.2.0 we now support rendering in this mode and so it should be practical to use Wet Stuff in Virtual Reality!

Normal smoothing adds another effect to very wet surfaces - when saturation is over 0.7 the surface begins to look smoother as small bumps are filled in with water. This makes wet surfaces look significantly wetter at the top end of wetness. It also significantly improves the general look of wetness applied to very bumpy surfaces as it also acts as a form of anti aliasing which prevent some of the "shimmering" you could sometimes see in specular highlights on puddles.

For example here is a wet decal (maximum wetness) applied to a road surface using a very bumpy normal map texture without normal smoothing:

Unity_2019-01-28_15-27-51.jpg

You can see that it doesn't look very convincing, although it looks very wet due to the reflections it does not look very wet due to the very noisy texture. Not shown in this static image is also how much this reflection "shimmers" as you move around.

Here's the exact same shot with normal smoothing:

Unity_2019-01-28_15-28-29.jpg

The road surface has been smoothed out where it's wet and this looks much more convincing and a lot wetter. As you move around this puddle the specular highlights also no longer "shimmer".

blueivy, ROBYER1, OdderOtter and 2 others like this.
  27. Mark_01

Mark_01

Really nice work, Thank you :)

28. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff 2.0.0 Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

With this release we've fixed a small bug which made Wet Stuff incompatible with OpenGL and have overhauled the internals of weather system integrations. This should make it much simpler to implement new weather system integrations in the future.

When you upgrade to Wet Stuff 2.0.0 make sure that you also upgrade your WetStuff For Enviro package to 2.0.0 at the same time!

As usual read the full release notes here. You will notice that the notes mention a Unistorm integration which doesn't exist yet - we're working to get that approved by Unity and hope it will be available soon. I'll update here as soon as it's available.

29. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hello, is there any news about HDRP support?

30. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

We're still waiting on Unity to add an API equivalent to Camera.AddCommandBuffer that we can use with HDRP. No progress updates from them recently on that front :(

one_one likes this.
  31. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Ok, thanks for reply.

32. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff For Unistorm Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

Get it here. Just like the Wet Stuff For Enviro asset which we released in December, this asset automatically reads the state of the weather from Unistorm - Dynamic Modular Weather and uses that to control auto puddles and drip lines. This package itself is free, but you will need to already own Unistorm and Wet Stuff to make use of it.

Rowlan and Mark_01 like this.
  33. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff 2.0.1 Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

This is a patch release fixing two bugs which have been reported by users.

We've fixed a memory leak caused by allocating a very small mesh (4 vertices) every frame and never discarding it! The mesh is now created just once on startup and properly disposed of when the component is destroyed.

We've also fixed errors about invalid bounding boxes which could be spammed to console if an invalid decal was created (e.g. zero size or NaN dimensions). These invalid decals are now culled out very early on in the renderer and cannot cause any problems later on.

ibbybn likes this.
  34. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Wet Stuff 2.0.2 Is Now Available On The Asset Store!

The main change in this update is a fix for the demo scenes in the Enviro integration package which had been broken by some changes in Enviro itself.

We also modified the blur shader used for normal smoothing so that the blur is correctly scaled when rendered on a camera with a very high aspect ratio.

35. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

can wet stuff bend plants, affected by rain? that’d be a intersting feauter

36. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

It can't, Wet Stuff is purely a visual effect. The biggest strength of Wet Stuff is that it modifies some internals of the renderer so that everything in your scene gets drawn normally and then Wet Stuff changes the value of pixels that were drawn to make them appear wet. This is great because it means that Wet Stuff works with almost anything (no matter how it gets drawn) and doesn't require you to modify materials. Of the course the downside of this is that geometry (i.e. the shape of a plant) is all handled before Wet Stuff even runs, so we can't do that.

You could probably add this yourself though, if you have the plant setup so that it has a bend animation to play you could set the progress of that animation based on the presence of wet decals covering the plant.

37. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

oh wow! what a decent and good answer..

i’ve tried some stuff, like bones and rigid bodies -=> performance goes beyond good and evil.. vegetation studio’s touch react system which is by far now the best solution, but still not that accurate.. i’m always thinking something must be around like the bend effect from farcry 2 / cryengine but anyway thanks for your time. and i believe when time comes wet stuff will be added to my collection :)

38. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hi, Does Wet Stuff support LWRP?

39. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Unfortunately not because of technical limitations. Wet Stuff requires Deferred Rendering to do it's job - the LWRP is not a deferred renderer so Wet Stuff is fundamentally incompatible with it.

We do plan to support HDRP eventually (it's a deferred renderer) but we're waiting on Unity to make some changes to how HDRP is implemented to make the integration practical.

40. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

OK, thanks for reply.

41. papaonn

papaonn

Dear Creator,

Recently I noticed a memory leak in Object Batching counts for Dripping particle (Demo 5),
    I recycle the decal for use with only 64 decal limit size, timespan of 8 secs,
    and I simply changed the emission rate of particle to spawn multiple particles in a short duration,
    and also bounded the max particles to 10.

I noticed the system quickly slow down due to the increase of Batches Drawcalls up to 1000+, and this number has never decreased, even clearing decals in run time will not work.

Is there any workaround to this? Otherwise the feature is a loss in my case. :(

Thanks!

42. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Hi papaonn, is this using the latest version of Wet Stuff (2.0.2)?

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue and will get back to you as soon as possible!

43. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

I just tested this using the latest Wet Stuff (2.0.2), I can't reproduce it.

I changed:
    • Emission rate to 1000/second
    • Decal lifetime to 7-8 seconds
    • Decal limit to 10
    • Enabled Recycling
    I also deleted the reflection probes, because they are set to recalculate their reflection maps they cause a lot of noise in batch counts.

Here's the result of running that for a few minutes:

Unity_2019-08-12_15-04-43.png

The number of tris has gone up, but seems to have settled down while I've been typing this.

Is this an accurate reproduction of what you tried?

Edit: Do you have Instancing enabled in the render settings (accessible from the wet decal component on the camera)?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    papaonn likes this.
  44. papaonn

papaonn

Hi Dear Nyarla,

Thanks so much for your attention and solution!
    Yes I followed your instructions, also deleted the whole folder and reimport of wet stuff( latest v2.0.2).

I configured the primary ParticleSystem to the same configuration as you did,
    * However I noticed that it has sub particle having the same decal settings, so I am not sure why is there a need in duplication of decal settings in primary, I guess primary is also considered as a drop of water which has impact on the rendering. *

The only thing I couldn't get it fixed is the Instancing Enabling option in the rendering option,
    It appears to be clickable (blank) but not really responding to my click ( unchanged ), and no clue why is this not functioning.

I tried to find the documentation but the official website seemed down, thanks so much for help!

Sorry for the late reply was shifted to work on some other parts yesterday.

Thanks,
    Papa.

45. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

The way that effect is set up is drops come from the top and create a decal where they hit the floor, then some sub particles are spawned as a little secondary splash and they also create decals where they hit the floor. I didn't change the sub emitters at all in my test, just to keep the changes as minimal as possible.

The reason there is a second set of decal settings for the sub particles is because they have different templates to the first splatter, so the decals for sub particles have a different shape. The splashes are all tiny so that's pretty hard to notice!

Are you using a Mac for your development? Instancing is disabled on OSX platforms due to a bug in Unity (the same code that works perfectly on other platforms would cause instanced decals to flicker).

While writing this post I retested some of this stuff and discovered another issue. If you remove this code on line 580 of Assets/Plugins/PlaceholderSoftware/WetStuff/ParticleWetSplatter.cs:

_decalSystem.Add(splatter);
    Does this fix the issue for you?

Edit: I should mention that this change is in review at the moment, so it may break things! Anyone else reading this thread don't apply it unless you need to. We'll get it released on the store as soon as it's properly tested :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    papaonn likes this.
  46. papaonn

papaonn

YOHOO!!! Thanks the first thing when I woke up and did was the change of the 580-code which works magically!
    I will temporarily comment it out and move along with the development,
    in case if anything breaks I will revert it back.

Can't wait for the future fix patch ! :)
    Thanks so much for your kindness!

Yes I forgot to mention that I'm developing in Mac, many thanks !
    Have a good day!

Loves,
    Papa.

47. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Thanks for checking that out, I'm glad it fixed the issue :D

We should have this deployed to the store soon, keep an eye out for 2.0.3 arriving sometime next week.

Mark_01 and papaonn like this.
  48. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Hi,

I have a ParticleWetSplatter that produces little splats on the ground - works great, looks perfect.
    Do those splats have an actual GameObject representation that you can access from the editor,
    or are they somehow dynamically rendered by the script on the camera?

It is because I have the strange problem that my 3rd person player cannot walk over the splats without somehow "cutting" into their rendering. Here is an image of the problem. Notice the different shape of the drops left and right. The difference is caused by my player standing on top (more on the lower right side), with disabled mesh renderer.

Any ideaa what is causing the issue?

Regards,
    Daniel

49. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

The particle splatters do not have a gameObject representation, but if you select the gameObject with the ParticleWetSplatter behaviour attached you should see gizmo boxes surrounding every splatter in the scene view.

With the player issue - could it be that the particles are raining down and hitting the player rather than the floor, so the splatters are not created on the floor? I'm not sure I have completely understood the situation, but that seems like a likely situation.

50. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

You`re a genius!
    The collision layer on the splash sub emitter was still set to "everything".
    Thanks for the hint and your fantastic asset.