Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 3.2 of The VR Starter Kit For Oculus has been Submitted. :)

@therewillbebrad I hear this is the Preferred VR kit of David Lee Roth for Jumping.... LoL

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    therewillbebrad likes this.
  2. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

That's what I'm talking about, put that on the box.

EddieChristian likes this.
  3. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So now you can set the Jump strength to any level you choose. There is a Max Velocity Variable now for X, Y, and Z Velocities. Just keep these at about the Run Speed you set and it will keep your character in check.
    What was going on is that in order to carry the character in the direction you are moving during the jump, their is a Velocity Modifier in place that is slightly increased for the direction you were heading. It is now restricted by the Max Velocity variables. This also works with the Falling Function which slowly decelerates the player the longer they are in the air. Since you can only jump when your player is grounded, Holding the jump button down does not result in multiple jumps.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Can't wait to dig in to this. You da bomb.

5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So due to the Holiday in the states, It looks like the new build may not show up in the store until Monday. Sorry about the delay guys. Usually Unity get's it out in 2 days, But Holidays do affect things.

6. Migueljb

Migueljb

How good is the melee and gun system with oculus GO? I understand it's only one handed is there any video's on it in action.

pushingpandas likes this.
  7. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

we need tutorials... how to make oculus go function and so

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I'll see what I can do. The Go version is built from the Rift Version so the structure is the same. What changed were how the Inputs are handled for the different controller.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I haven't recorded anything on the mobile version yet. I think it turned out great, that's why I released it. :) But it is a new feature so I will be updating it as time goes by. And Go only uses one controller so the one-handed thing is built in. But I am considering using the bluetooth feature in the future and adding a gamepad example.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  10. Migueljb

Migueljb

Ok just purchased to support your great work and looking foward to the 3.2 updated version but will be messing around with it on the GO for now. I'll be in touch with how things work out.

11. Migueljb

Migueljb

I opened up the GO demo version and just did straight build to the go. What I'm noticing is its really hard to walk around correctly. Sometimes on the touch pad holding up or down makes you go sideways or or back is forward and vice versa. It's like it loses where you are at and doesn't know which way is forward. Doesn't matter how many times I reset the controller either. Is there a way to make it so when I push forward the direction I am facing/looking is where I will be going. The rotation works fine. I can't even walk around correctly to even interact with stuff in the demo. Option to have a cross hair would be great to have to for the guns or just general looking around.

12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Move your finger forward on the touchpad to move forward. Move it to the back of the touchpad to move backwards. Adding a laser sight to the pistol is already on the request list. Forward is the direction you are facing when you started the game. The Camera Reset button is blocked from all Developers. Oculus will NOT let us access it at all.

13. Migueljb

Migueljb

So lets say I open the demo and I look to the left without moving. When I push forward as I am looking left can I have it react and move in that direction I am looking or am I missing something?

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It does not Auto-Turn the direction you are looking. This is a longstanding debate in VR. Movement in this system is independent of where you are looking. Auto-Turning helps in some ways. But most players wish to be able to run in one direction while looking in another direction. This allows you to do things like run forward while shooting to your left and your right at the same time. Now if you pause the game or take the headset off until it goes into sleep mode. Then I am allowed to reset everything so you are looking the same direction you are facing. Which I have added in 3.2 coming out on Monday.

15. Migueljb

Migueljb

Sounds good I'll keep messing with it. Loving the melee and gun system really feels good so far. Also in the future can you do a snap rotate so in 4 swipes left or right you can go all the around. Brookhaven on the GO does this and makes sitting in a chair doing the snap rotate really nice to have as well.

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

This sounds like a Really Great Idea. I will add it to the list. The mobile stuff is much newer to me. So I am in the process of cramming their entire mobile SDK into my head. But any feature you guys know about that I may not, Let me know and I will look at them. :)

17. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Alright so the jumping works great and is almost perfect. If you could point me in the direction of how you disabled the velocity. Because the velocity limit works while moving but the same velocity limit is not present when you are jumping from a stand still. If it wasn't VR I would totally turn it in to a feature because I'm pretty good at zooming around the map now haha.

Also could you please explain this to the class

18. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Hmmm the Velocity limit should be working always even if standing still. I will check it after I update Unity. As far as the video goes I am prepping for a class where we make film shorts using game engines as the renderer for the film. There are a seriies of videos on my vimeo channel where we are testing motion blur on FBX files and Alembic files. Also we are testing Post Effects to see how we can get the best visual results...

Here is the test with an Alembic file instead of FBX:

19. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Did you do the dance yourself?

And that's really interesting. I'm working on a system using finalik so I can do my own motion capture and set up my own scenes. I have some buddies in the film industry and they're blown away by what you can do in unity. It's like having a studio on your computer.

20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's a hybrid part Mocap part Keyframing. I am working with several companies to see what we can come up with. Lately I have been working with these guys quite a bit to make some new exciting tools for film and games:
    https://www.reallusion.com/

But for now, It's Top Secret. as soon as I am allowed I will let you guys know. Also My Patreon Page is where I intend to keep journals on all this stuff. So if you guys want to follow and help support my efforts, that is a good place to do so.

21. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Hell yeah I'm definitely interested. I have a feeling the foo show format or even what adult swim was doing with carl is going to be huge. Listening to people in VRChat is very compelling so I'm excited to see what will happen once the tools start coming. Everything that is on the real illusion page is crazy.

22. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Also here's a video of what I'm talking about instead of just babbling about jumping.

23. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Are any of the real illusion products available in unity? I'm currently using salsa which just uses volume but I could really take advantage of the sprite facial capture.

24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

LoL I Love that!! I promise I will check it tonight as soon as I get back to my computer. I thought you were kidding about the David Lee Roth thing. ;) Unitl then you can do a search for the locations of the Max Velocity Variables and it will show you where I used the code in the Rigidbody script.

25. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

26. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

27. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes and I am helping them make all their products more friendly to Game and Film pipelines.
    Now you usually want their Pro Versions for the full Export / Import Privileges on their software. So you want to look for what they call the Pipeline versions.

28. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Have you used their iphone x feature? And just hearing you're involved assures me a lot. I'm not kidding I'll go to the apple store first thing tomorrow and get upgraded. Are they easily imported in to unity as animated sprites? Sorry if this is off topic. haha

29. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

We are looking at January. I just Skyped the CEO and got the NFO. Also he said I was welcome to help with the Unity Tools for it. So I will make it happen :)

Right now they are adding a lot of new stuff to the 3D Pipelines and they are all very cool features. Then I will help them with adding features to the 2D Pipelines as well...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

@therewillbebrad I sent you a fix :)

And I would turn your accelerator modifier down to the recommended standards. IE ... Less then Bullet Train Speeds. LoL

31. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Unity 2018.2 Slaughters TextMesh Pro. "INSERT MULTIPLE CUSS WORDS HERE" so I am going to have to rebuild every single interface for both the Rift version and the Mobile versions. Version 3.3 of my kit will Support Unity 2018.2. I'll try to get it out to you guys as quickly as I can...

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 3.3 of The VR Starter Kit For Oculus has been Submitted to the Unity Asset Store. This version makes it compatible with the New Unity 2018.2

33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Wow the Unity Guys are Quick!! :) Version 3.3 is now in the Asset Store...

AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  34. Migueljb

Migueljb

I tried testing today with latest and did another build on the GO and still having issues. I don't understand the movement is extremely bad it's like it's skating one moment then another moment back is forward and forward is back. Then other times I can't even get the player to move really frustrating. I see the weapons and guns and can't even get to them. I even tried doubling all the movement features from there defaults and it just makes the player skate faster or sometimes just stays stuck You don't ever know what is forward so I get the tank controls but since your in fps mode you never know which way the control is forward and whats backwards.

I really don't understand what's going on because I really want this to work but after about 10 builds or so to the GO it never gets better. Is anyone else experiencing this sort of movement on the GO when building the default project to the GO?

35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I'm not sure what your experiencing. But it is a simple touchpad movement system. Put your thumb all the way forward to move forward on the touchpad. All the way back to move backward. Moving your thumb to the left or right turns you left or right. It works fine on all our testing. The default forward direction is the direction you are facing when you start the game.

Some of the issues you are describing sound like you are not moving your thumb far enough forward or backwards on the controller.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have some pretty Massive Deadlines But I will try to post a video on the Oculus Go by Wednesday.

I just downloaded and checked Ver 3.3. Both the Rift version and the Mobile version run with Zero Errors or Issues.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  37. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It turns out I will be at Siggraph from the 14th to the 16TH. If your Attending find me on the floor and say Hi. :)
    https://s2018.siggraph.org/

38. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Have you seen this error before? I don't really want teleporting in my game so I haven't really looked in to it. Not even sure what the teleport target is asking for. Hope siggraph was fun!

Attached Files:

39. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's saying your teleport target object Somehow has become unassigned. Drag the object from the scene onto the slot. One is on the rigidbody and one is on the right hand object.

40. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Figured it was something easy since it wasn't something that always popped up. 7 minute response time, you da man.

41. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

42. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I had 2 people message me this week with troubles getting started. In both cases they were trying to use an older version of Unity:
    Using Unity 2018.2.0f2 (64-bit) you create a new project. Import VR Starter Kit. When asked to import the Complete Project say Yes.
    TextMesh Pro and all Oculus files are included in the project.
    The mobile version is in a zip file once imported.
    It is also a complete project in itself.

It's just not going to work on the older version properly. Unity has moved things around like TextMesh Pro.

Mark_01 likes this.
  43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So today another person was trying to force things to work in Unity 2017. They mentioned that someone told them 2018 was not stable. Guys this is not true. I use 2018 all day 7 days a week. There are no issues with it...

Mark_01 likes this.
  44. Mark_01

Mark_01

The problem might be , that Unity is trying to make things so that people have to use newer versions ..
    If* people are developing a game and start a long term project, that depends on many assets.....
    say like 2017.4 LTS as an example ... not all developers keep up to date to the latest version of unity,

SO that could mean that I need an asset that is for 2017 .. and say that developer has moved on ... then they have to choose what to do... just saying that you might be shooting your self in the foot, by making this kit Only for
    the latest version all the time, and only the latest versions of unity.

There are some here that only use Unity version 5 still. Part of the problem is deprecated assets, and for me after a few years of having many now deprecated assets, I am very Leary buying new assets because of this. Esp if the dev has only one asset on the store .. if the asset costs a ton of $$ , if there is no good track record for the developer .. ie very active in the Unity forums. My only real suggestion here is keep the older versions, under the understanding that
    the old version will not have new features in them. But it is the developer that charts the course for their package.

Good example I use Bolt visual scripting. he has the lowest version not set for Unity 2017.4 So when people read this, any that are on Unity 5 , will not or can not but it.

So if for example you had put in your asset store description , that Vr starter kit would be made to not work in Unity 2017.4 when I bought it... I may have not got it then.

I had got it for the bows and arrows and magic ..

there are just thoughts, not real anything on my part.. I am 60 and retired and not a professional graphics /coder .. anything.. just saying maybe take things into consideration .. not every one can upgrade to the latest all the time,
    lest this is the sense I get reading the forums.

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well I can tell you that the very first line in the description says the Minimum version # you can use on my product. I do feel your pain when developers walk away. I am a 10 year Unity Veteran and I have spent more money in the Asset store then I would have spent on a Really Nice Sports Car. And I have dozens of assets I purchased that are now gone.

But no developer in the store keeps old versions of their software around for download. Just the maintenance alone would be extremely costly. As a developer you only have 2 choices really. Update as Unity updates or wait a really long time to update. Personally I chose to jump on the 2018 wagon. Unity made it clear that 2018 was going to break the old version because it has a new structure. And it just didn't make sense to me to hold on to the old ways of doing things...

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. Mark_01

Mark_01

For your asset I need to agree with you :) The Unity 2018 .X as far as I can tell, huge strides in the VR section
    for Unity 2018.

I had thought that Unity keeps older versions and, how it works is that you get the version you need by downloading
    the asset via that Unity manager,, as example CTS is for Unity 5.x and 2017 and 2018 .. as far as I know it
    is just what Unity version you are on when you down load that package.

I do not know anything about the inner workings of Unity so I can't say for 100 % certainty on anything really.

I know that other assets do that some how.

But 100 % VR STARTER KIT should be on 2018, because of the far better VR stuff included. I would just warn people not to upgrade or keep old copies on them backed up on USB what ever ...

It should be just as simple for users to back up the assets they really want as well.

I do agree 100 % with you on this one tho " And it just didn't make sense to me to hold on to the old ways of doing things... " :)

It would make no sense at all to keep Using 2017 for this asset.

And soon enough 2018 will be new standard because of the rendering and speed increases.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Maybe there is some super secret way to keep old builds on the store. But I certainty don't know how it would be done though. And they don't give Developers a lot of information about it.

But I can say that I don't keep old builds myself. Hardrive space in my studio is always at a premium. And I did mention this on the forum thread here a couple of times when I was making the switch to 2018. But not everyone checks the forum though...

Overall I regularly release new builds and they are thoroughly tested. So I hope people are aware that we think about things. At the end of the day though, This is a labor of Love for me. It hasn't made a profit and won't probably. So this kit is here because I want to help people, if possible...

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. Mark_01

Mark_01

Karma makes life. For me I support developers that are with Unity for the long haul.

I really agree with this " I do feel your pain when developers walk away. I am a 10 year Unity Veteran and I have spent more money in the Asset store then I would have spent on a Really Nice Sports Car. And I have dozens of assets I purchased that are now gone. "

I found Unity just as they were starting Unity 5 pro, I got the permanent license and had level 11 as I would guess maybe you did too.

and yes all the deprecated assets now makes me pause when i find something new I might like.

Like some of the ocean assets are gone, but worked in VR .. but in older Unity and yup the dev is long gone all tho most good devs I think keep up as much as they can.

You are right about " a labor of love " really the only way to go, and I believe in the end you do get rewarded, even if it
    is through something else that was an off shoot some how.

Thing that gets me is people are very quick to criticize and point out failings, but when it comes time to say thank you
    for all the hard work, they are silent. But this can be good too, since not having people Bi**** at you , then it means
    your doing something right :D

To me the way your are handling this, over time you will have a very dedicated huge ? :) following, it might take
    time but I do believe you will get there.

I am excited about the bows and arrows and magic wands ( Explosives )

I have huge respect for people that want to help the Unity community and that is something I do consider before I buy an asset.

Anyways have a great day.

Mark

AdamGoodrich and EddieChristian like this.
  49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The desktop mode is automatic on the Rift Version. Normally if you take the headset off and set it down the unity screen will go black. On the demo it switches to a standard Unity camera. I'm not in front of my computer right now but the script is probably called switcher on the player prefab.

50. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Oculus Go demo is in a zip and it is a complete Unity project. Nothing needs to be added. Refer to my video. It sounds like you are not moving your thumb far enough forward on the sensor.

Mark_01 likes this.