Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's a Physics based Character Controller. In the real world if you ran at a wall at full speed you would bounce off it and spin. The physics are reproducing this. I will see if I can minimize it further for you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have made Turning and Strafing switchable on the controllers already. I will add full Remapping on the Request List. But as you said you can easily change the code yourself to fit your needs.

3. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

You can't Quit an Application in the Unity Editor. You have to make a Build in order for the Quit Application command to work. I just made a Build and checked It is working fine.

4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Clicking / Pushing down on the right Joystick while walking or running will allow you to jump. It's disabled in Teleport Mode because it's not needed. I checked in in the Editor and with a Build of the game and it is working perfectly. Maybe you altered something that broke jumping. I would have to see your project to know.

5. steveR

steveR

SoloChristian I’ll look forward to your book. In my using the Oculus Go so far I have found that the controls used in Tomb Raider and especially Angest were really well done. Seeing the hands climbing down the rope for example was really well done In Tomb Raider. In Angest the movement, picking up tools and using them and using door handles was impressive. Maybe these will give you some inspiration.

EddieChristian likes this.
  6. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Oh yeah baby we back to hauling ass. Thanks again as always!
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

LOL!! Your Welcome. ;)

8. Eldurin

Eldurin

We're misunderstanding each other here, and all caps are quite unnecessary. Let me reiterate: I am facing my sensors at all times. What I am talking about is during the normal course of movement within the sensor-aware play area, things get weird (generally after collisions with geometry and being spun around). I then must re-orient my body to face almost exactly forward in order to move forward. A few more collisions (and spins) later and movement is often completely broken. Again, despite facing forward while in full view of my sensors. This problem does not occur in other Oculus VR environments, so it is unlikely to be hardware-related.

Thank you for your kind offer. I will attempt to create an environment that contains obstacles and other geometry that illustrates my problem in a reproducible way. Thank you for your reply and attention to my concerns.

9. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I think Eddies caps are more being eccentric than yelling. Though I don't know him nor what the volume he was typing.

And I think your issue is the body is always moving based off a hip location and it doesn't rotate with your head or with your controllers. This method works for me and my current solution is putting a big arrow on the ground similar to sprint vector. I would love a better solution.

10. Eldurin

Eldurin

Thanks, twbb, the hip getting out of alignment with the head tracking makes a lot of sense!

11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

You could say your movement is based from the hips. It's actually at the base of the Character controller. Which is the same as all Character Controllers. It's called First Person Movement. And of course in VR you can't lock the head from turning. It's actually a rule in all VR SDK's that the head has to be allowed to move freely. This allows you the ability to do things like look left or right and shoot in that direction while running forward. What you could try is rotating the Character Controller to rotate to match the direction you are currently looking. Since this is a starter kit and designed for modification you could add a function to test it in the character movement script. You would have to set the body Y rotation to update to the Y rotation of the headset.

But you would have several issues:
    1 People look about more then they think and it would result in a lot of shifting about. This would trigger motion sickness.
    2 You would have to make a special rule in regards to when your head reached it's turning limit. Would it continue to turn ETC.. ( And depending on Age and Physical Fitness,Their Head turning Limit would be different for every person)
    3 If you kept joy stick rotation so they could turn 180 degrees to fight attacks from behind. You would have to consider what the head was doing during this spin about. Humans typically turn their head in the direction they are going by instinct. So you would have to write code to disable the head turning tracking code while turning using the joystick.

For example: What if they are turning left with the Joystick towards a weapon they need, But looking Right at approaching Enemies coming to attack. It gets complicated quickly.

Of course you could always just use Teleporting. Which is why I added it even though I personally don't like it as much. It is there as a choice for your style of game.

We have spent thousands of hours on dozens of projects making code for this in my classes and it always becomes a personal choice in the end on how you want movement to work in your game. What I can give you is the tools to start with. Which is why its called the VR Starter Kit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The body does rotate when you use the joystick.

13. Eldurin

Eldurin

I don't want anything unusual. Just want the movement basics (rotation, specifically) of your controller to work the same as other free-movement controllers, such as the default Oculus one.

Since I'm happy with the default (OVR) controller movement, perhaps it would be best for me to try to start with that controller and attempt to add your excellent avatar modifications.

Thank you for trying to help; I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have failed to properly explain my issue to you.

14. Eldurin

Eldurin

I'm trying to add new grabble weapons and need help understanding how to use the offsets to make the weapon appear properly (in terms of alignment) in the hand. Since the avatar hands are not visible in the scene view, what is the best way to make sure a weapon is aligned properly when grabbed?

I've made rocks and helmets and all sort of things grabble and throwable where the orientation matters little, but have not figured out the best approach for grabble items that need a specific alignment to look correct in the avatar grip. Thanks!

15. Eldurin

Eldurin

Okay, I think I found a simple way to demonstrate some of the issues I'm having with basic movement. Much of it may have to do with how the VR_FPS_PLAYER_RAY responds to the type of surface it is on. The controller acts pretty much as expected in the demo scene and on other smooth, flat planes, but when you drop the controller on terrain, the spinning around becomes quite obvious. To reproduce this, download a free asset with terrain, such as The Free Island Collection https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/free-island-collection-104753. Load up one of the sample scenes and then drop the VR player controller on a relatively flat plain somewhere.

As soon as you try to go forward, you spin in response to the unevenness of the surface. Does that make sense? It becomes nearly impossible to get anywhere. Is there something obvious I am overlooking to fix this?

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It is a rigidbody character controller based on physics. For Rocky Terrain you will have to up your Angular Drag on the Rigidbody for your character. Try setting it to 6000 or some other high number. I just spent the last 20 minutes running all over the test island with no issues.

https://medium.com/ironequal/unity-character-controller-vs-rigidbody-a1e243591483

I appreciate that you may be new to Unity or VR but I have quite a few posts from you saying there is something wrong and None of them actually were wrong. It is one thing to ask questions because you don't know. It is another to state something is broken because you don't understand how it properly works. Every time a Bug is reported it takes time out of my studio's day to check it. This will drive the costs up at some point if it is excessive. We are happy to do this but we do ask that you are sure there is an actual problem before you post.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  17. Eldurin

Eldurin

I apologize for giving the impression I was making bug reports. I thought it was clear that I was looking for help about things weren't working for me. Several times in more than one scene or project I was, for example, moving around and the controller orientation glitched out and stopped working -- it broke for me. There are a million things I don't know about Unity, VR, and C#, and was looking for help with an asset that I found very fun and educational.

If I come across something that does actually seem like a bug, I'll let you know. Otherwise I'll try to figure things out on my own and leave you to work on what's important.

Thank you for testing the island movement and providing me with that like about rigid bodies and character controllers. I'll study it carefully.

18. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No worries. And Rigidbody Character Controllers take more work then standard character controllers. But in the end they are worth it because you can do things like jumping on moving platforms easily. But in my experience you do have to tweak settings to make it optimal for your game level. We will continue to improve the controller over time. And I will always try to answer any questions. Although it may take time for me to get back to everyone sometimes, because I am not always online. I do Appreciate your patience and understand what it is like to start out new in Unity. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 3.0 now has Desktop and VR Mode. In Desktop Mode you can use the "w, a, s, and d" keys for input when your not wearing the HMD. Also I added a Motion Acceleration public variable so you can adjust how fast the player accelerates to it's top speed in the Unity Editor.

Mark_01 and therewillbebrad like this.
  20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 3.0 Has been Submitted to the Asset Store. :)

21. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I've gotten really good at balancing the hmd on my shoulder and navigating with the game window so I'm not sure what to do with this newfound skill. My hmd was my game dev companion who rested on my shoulder like a pirates parrot.

Great features as always.

22. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

LoL And I thought I was the Only One that did that ;)

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 3.0 of the kit is out now guys :)

Mark_01 and Virtuadreamer like this.
  24. 7fan

7fan

Hi. I might be interested in your kit, but I do have some questions. How far are you from adapting your kit for Gear VR? I would be more than interested in this aspect? Also, how complex on the code side to adapt your kit for Gear VR, and so for Oculus Go. I have both as I'm an Oculus Start member. I'm thinking on new projects in VR, and also porting existing projects. Your kit would more help on new stuff.
    Are you code really binded to Oculus, or is it easy enough for a coder to swap or add another layer to make it functionnal for other platforms?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback it will help me to think faster on making the purchase of your kit. Also, would you give any direct support to another coder to help porting?
    All the best,
    Xavier

25. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am working on the Oculus Go stuff currently and writing on a book. As I understand it the Gear VR uses the same SDK as Oculus Go so they should be compatible. I don't personally own a Gear VR set-up so I wouldn't be able to physically test this though. You asked if my code was binded to Oculus. It is what I own and write for. I have no intentions to write code for the Vive until I own one. But , Yes if you know programming you could add your own custom controls for it.
    I hope this helps answer your questions. :)

26. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

As the newer features are added, I will be raising the price to the $40/$45 area. So now is the time to buy since it has free updates on it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. 7fan

7fan

Hi SoloChristian, thank you very much at first for coming back with some precision. May I ask if you have an idea when you plan to release your Oculus go port of your kit, and, Go and Gear VR uses the same type of Inputs, so it would work for both Go and Gear. :) And by the way, no I'm not a dev, but I'm an Art Director and funder of my own Indie company, but I might have some dev looking in your kit. If you can come back with the last infos, and yes I might get your kit really soon.
    Thanks,
    Xavier

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I don't like to predict release dates because my contracts and the classes I teach can change rapidly and eat up my time. But I would guess that the Oculus Go features will be out in 4-5 weeks.

29. Migueljb

Migueljb

I'm really looking forward to the oculus go's integration. The GO has alot of potential so when you have that all setup it's an instant buy for me. I would like something like this but I'm sure your working on it this way in some sort. Say we use the trigger on the controller for raycasting to grab and hold things then throw it when we let go of the trigger and swing the controller in a throwing motion. Also to walk around use the controller's touch pad to start and stop for walking. Have different types of walking and options of either hold the touch pad to walk then when you let go it stops you OR tap the touch pad to start walking then when you tap again it stops you. Sometimes holding onto buttons to long can get sweaty or tiresome so having options like this is always nice for player controls.

30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take all I can get when it comes to the Oculus Go controller. I have to admit I have become spoiled by having the 2 controllers on the Rift. I can often be found running around in my own VR Kit with a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other. :) Having only 1 controller on the Go seems a bit limiting after that.

But on the Upside the Lenses on the Go are AMAZING!! I love the image quality!!!

31. Migueljb

Migueljb

True having the 1 controller on the GO is limiting but if you can nail the controls down it would be amazing. The depth of 3d in the GO is better then any other mobile headsets and just being able to sit or stand up put it on your head and get started is so worth its weight in gold. I just recently got a GO and wanting to dev some games on it so a system like yours is so needed for us artists. I don't see mobile vr going away anytime soon so def a good market to get into before it gets flooded with games like every other platform.

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well it's being worked on as we speak actually. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well what do you know, I'm running around in my demo scene on the Oculus Go right now. I think we may have an early Beta release on the way... :)

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

J0linar and Mark_01 like this.
  35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So with any luck, the New VR Starter Kit will be in the Asset Store Today or Tomorrow. It will have a Zip File with a Complete Project for Oculus Go / Gear VR in it. You will want to copy that to another folder on your hardive to use it. Just be aware that it is it's own Unity Project. See page 11 on the documentation for further details.

Now this is what I would call an early release and it is a conversion of the Oculus Rift version. People seemed to need it, so I cranked it out quickly. In later versions I will comment the code thoroughly for new programmers. And as always, I will be adding improvements.

The VR Starter Kit now uses OVR Utilities VER 1.27.0 and OVR Avatar SDK VER 1.27.0. These are already in the Project and set up.

One last Note: Please check that your Unity Version Matches or is Greater than the Recommended Version in the Asset Store Description. Using an Older version of Unity will cause Errors.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

37. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

So I don't want you to develop my game for me but two things I'd figure I'd ask before going down the wrong paths.

I need snappable items and wondering what is the best way to do that while interacting with the Eddie Hand. Also when bunny hopping the acceleration can max out and you'll still go flying. This has been alleviated with a higher ground check and a higher drop rate. Do you have any ideas on how to cap out the jumping acceleration? I love it and it reminds me of arena shooters so I'd rather not nerf jumping. Some of my ideas are to put a timer on the jump feature even a small half second one.

Please don't take any time out to answer these, please only respond if you have an educated nudge. Thanks homie.

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

By Bunny Hopping you must mean hitting jump again as soon as you hit the ground Repeatedly. I am guessing you Greatly increased the jump strength to a degree your jumping like Superman. :)

My first suggestion would be to use the strength I have it set at because it is what a person could actually do. And it doesn't mess up. If you go really crazy with it then the PhysX system in Unity may at some point decide to send you hurtling in unexpected ways. You could adjust the "Drag" settings slightly on the rigidbody. You could use a timer to force it to reduce velocity if it is too great over time. Or you could write code that says If Velocity is Greater than this Value then reduce Velocity.
    Check out Physics commands in the Unity manual. And your going to want to put your physics code in the LateUpdate function. And just to let you know Physics coding can get frustrating quickly. Sometimes it does weird stuff you wouldn't expect. So be prepared to spend a bit of time testing.

As far as snapping you would have a Collider / Trigger set-up that when hit by the object would cause it to release from the hand and move to a specific position. Do make sure it triggers the release function., that will tell the hand that it is now empty and it is free to grab other things.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  39. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Also I forgot you can look at the script I put on the desk drawer. It's just a little script that makes sure the objects stay in place while you open and close the drawer. It may supply the NFO you want.

40. J0linar

J0linar

@SoloChristian
    Just tested the Go/Gear Version..
    Gotta say am surprised how well this works, well done!

Now some Suggestions regarding Guns:

*add a always on laser pointer for aiming purposes.(this makes playing on mobile VR headsets sense since there is no 6dof)

*add a virtual Backpack - when Player looks down in a specified angle along with Pressing a specific Button or performing a Touch down - Open the Backpack, from there on Users could attach the current Holding Item to the Backpack, this would serve as some Kind of inventory. ( if you are familiar with Vrtk , there is some Kind of example regarding this).

*Question - will we see hand models added or the possibility to add our own .

*Bug - when putting the hmd off and putting it again on during gameplay the directional Controls get Screwed up, even resetting the controller doesnt solve this.

41. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

A laser site on the Go version is an Awesome Idea!

Virtual Backpack / Inventory is one I have been debating for all the Versions of the VR Kit. It's actually a complex thing and I am on the fence about adding it to a Starter Kit. I have considered writing a bridge to an Inventory system in the Asset Store as well. If anyone has any preferences let me know.

Resetting the view in Go is something I am working on. I never actually planned to do mobile development at all. It was a request from the users. So I cranked out a functional build quickly. But I got to say I became quite addicted to it so I will be pursuing it further. And getting the View Reset going is on the top of my list. :)

Also because there a certain limitations on Mobile controllers, I will be stripping out things from the Go Version Project that the hardware can't use that the Touch Controllers could. This will make the project lighter.

The Avatar SDK on mobile was giving me some issues. So I am sorting out why now. It may be an Oculus bug. Once I know more I will post about it. But custom hands is something I wish to add in all versions. As time allows.

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. Mark_01

Mark_01

If you might consider a bridge for Inventory, may I suggest a newer asset from another good developer ?
    I would be sure it would be no problem getting a voucher to test and maybe integrate. He has been with Unity for
    years , so I would not worry about the dreaded " deprecated "

The bonus with this would be Unity Unet integration, so I would have to say, this could possibly help
    both of you, sell more units ..

Rucksack - Multiplayer Inventory System
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/114921

( I personally only got this a few months back and have not had time to be familiar with this, but i trust the dev behind it, I am not friends with or related in anyway )

43. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

So I haven't had time to implement the snapping ideas but I think I've figured out one of the issues with the jumping. You can hold down the jump button and it will keep jumping adding acceleration to every jump. I'm thinking a time delay between jumps would fix that. This happens on the base oculus kit without adjusting any of the speed or acceleration so it's something you might want to look at.

44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

LOL why would you continuously hold down the jump button?????
    I will look into it... :)

45. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I'm trying to make Van Halen VR.

Eldurin and EddieChristian like this.
  46. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well as it turns out I am prepping a new build for submission today. I will make sure it's fixed before I submit it. ;)

47. Eldurin

Eldurin

I'm still struggling with aligning objects (weapons, torch, etc.) to avatar hands. I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to set up an EDDIE_GRABBLE object that need specific transform values? I'm going in circles at this point. :) Thank you.

48. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Unity units are in meters (3 Feet) the offsets are for the X Y and Z axis. So you will be adjusting small amounts. Say 0.05 ETC... Set your objects on a table and pick them up. If you need to tweak them, Hit stop and adjust. Then hit play again to check your adjustments.

49. Eldurin

Eldurin

That's probably my problem (over-adjustment). I'll start with fractional amounts. Thank you!

50. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Tonight I will be submitting a new Version of The VR Starter Kit.
    Fixes Will Include:
    Resets the Player when VR Focus is Lost (MOBILE VERSIONS),
    Can run in Left Hand and Right Handed Modes (MOBILE VERSIONS),
    Asynchronous Scene Loading of the Game Scene (MOBILE AND RIFT VERSIONS),
    Radial Scene Loading Progress Bars (MOBILE AND RIFT VERSIONS),
    Van Halen Jump Fix (RIFT VERSION)

Mark_01 and therewillbebrad like this.