Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Placing the order for the Oculus Go tonight. It uses the same SDK as the Gear VR, So we are moving forward on having that in the kit in the future. :)

J0linar likes this.
  2. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

A lot of performance improvements for VR and in general in 2018 so I'll definitely be tinkering with it to see if an upgrade is possible.

EddieChristian likes this.
  3. J0linar

J0linar

Thanks that makes my day.

Regarding 2018 am usin it side by side to understand it better, the VR improvements are not mobile ready at least the VR PR Pipeline for mobile, gear vr builds end up black screen and with not working Materials.

4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

For the next release I am sticking with the old build until I find out what does and doesn't work in 2018 for VR.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

VR STARTER KIT V2.6 Has been Submitted to the Asset Store:
    Added pulling for Objects with Arced movement. (Doors, Treasure Chest Lids Levers ETC...) No Hinge or Configurable Joint constraints Needed. Improvements to the Physics Helper script.

J0linar, Mark_01 and therewillbebrad like this.
  6. J0linar

J0linar

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

VR STARTER KIT V2.6 Is live in the Asset Store !!:

After I received requests to Added pulling for Objects with Arced movement without Hinge or Configurable Joint Constraints. (Doors, Treasure Chest Lids Levers ETC...)
    I came up with this. No Hinge or Configurable Joint Constraints were used. Also I added improvements to the Physics Helper script.

10. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Oh yeah baby that's what I'm talking about.

11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

On the Example Levers some Values should be changed. This is just on the lever objects:
    Mass:2
    Drag:2
    Angular Drag:2

And on the PULL_ME script: Hand Collision Delay should be 0.5

Sorry about not catching that before the release.

12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So as of the next build I am using Unity 2018. I am going to hold off on all the different Pipelines due to the fact I am seeing more than a few issue in emails going out in Unity groups. As soon as they do the the next release after this one and things look more stable then I will add Pipeline versions.

Mark_01 and Virtuadreamer like this.
  13. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

15. J0linar

J0linar

congratz on the blog post, was a nice read!

on the Gear VR side of things, i got your Starter Pack to compile and play with gear vr without any additional assets i downloaded the latest build of yours and just set it to android and setup the standard settings for a gear vr compile but ofc the controls are not working (not yet at least). I changed all materials to mobile ones and removed some props like the ground tiles, just left one... the package is still heavy 112mb, i guess some of the textures are just too high, anyways i hope you got your Oculus Go today ...

What i noticed that works is the Hand is being displayed but its about 1meter above my head, it follows the controllers movement, the Monsters are spawning and attacking and so on.

16. Mark_01

Mark_01

17. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I figured a large part of it would work on Gear VR. The textures will have to be optimized for mobile. THat's no surprise there. And yes my Package arrived today so I can start taking a look at it. :)

J0linar likes this.
  18. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 2.7 of the VR Starter Kit for Oculus has been Submitted to the Unity Asset Store:
    Added Haptic FX for Held Objects. Improved Collider Detection when pulling objects. Code Improvements.Now using Unity 2018. Updated Ovr Unity Utilities to VER: 1.25.2

20. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

You're a machine!

21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

22. Insta_K1ller

Insta_K1ller

In the roadmap you mention upcoming features are:
    Teleportation
    Bow and Arrows
    Explosives
    Magic Wands

What are Magic Wands exactly?

So far I really like the kit and the updates that you plan for us :)

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I mean like Harry Potter. Actual magic wands to be used as a weapon for games . :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Just to let everyone know I am stuck working this week. So I will do the next Release sometime next week.

25. delandz

delandz

Just throwing this out there. When re-opening the Unity editor with the entire 2.7 package imported it consumes 100% CPU usage and takes several minutes to load something as indicated by the Unity progress bar in the windows task bar. Just wondering if this is a known issue? My development machine is not slow by any means and I do not experience this level of CPU usage for any other Unity projects. I am really looking forward to diving into this!

26. delandz

delandz

Update: Problem went away after removing the SET prefab from the scene.

27. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I included 2K textures in the kit. You can always adjust their size for speed.

28. delandz

delandz

Thanks for the quick response.

What is the correct way to listen for controller button/trigger presses when not holding a grabbable object?

29. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

ThePaceMaker sent me a message that this kit works perfectly with Emerald AI. That is good to know and I thought I would share the NFO.
    I have caught up my Day Job and now will be updating my VR Kit. I want to test some ideas for improving movement and add the abilities to switch turning between controllers. Then the Teleport stuff will start. Will probably submit Update for the kit on Wednesday.

If you want to see what My day job had me doing, Check this link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/loRRG

Virtuadreamer likes this.
  30. Mark_01

Mark_01

I was going to ask about Emerald AI integration, since it is a fairly reasonable plug-in to own, for what it does, very worth the money to invest in this.

Could there be an official write up on how to make Emerald AI integrate with VR starter kit ?
    I would guess the developers of Emerald AI , would be happy to help
    with integration with VR starter kit

31. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Possibly in the future. For now I will be focusing on updates.

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

You can look at the Hand scripts and the RigidBodyCharacter Script.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS VERSION 2.8 has been submitted to the Unity Asset store
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10333
    Added Haptic FX when Player is Damaged.
    Added the Ability to Set Strafing on Either Controller
    Improved Movement Code
    Updated Docs

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Insta_K1ller and Mark_01 like this.
  35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The new Avatar SDK is out and it has some major changes. I already updated the VR Starter Kit to work with it. I will submit it to the Asset store on Monday. So you should have it by Wednesday.
    In the last build I added a build up in speed to the motion. It was to help people who easily get Motion Sickness. I didn't receive any complaints, So I am going to assume people liked it.

Since I have to do an update over the weekend I will see what else I can add until Monday...

Insta_K1ller and Eldurin like this.
  36. Insta_K1ller

Insta_K1ller

Just waiting for new cool features on the current roadmap like:
    -Teleportation

-Bow and Arrows
    -Explosives

Keep up the good work!

Mark_01 and EddieChristian like this.
  37. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

You guys will be Teleporting on the Next Release. :)

Mark_01 and Virtuadreamer like this.
  38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Insta_K1ller likes this.
  39. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 2.9 has been Submitted to the Asset Store. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS VER 2.9 IS OUT!!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10333

Requires Unity 2018.1.2 or higher.
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION :

The Kit comes with a Complete Demo Game with Gun and Melee Combat.

Switch between Teleporting and First Person Shooter Mode in a Single Button Press!!

** Emerald AI Compatible **

FEATURES:
    Teleportation
    Haptic FX when Player is Damaged.
    Haptic FX for Held Objects.
    Rigidbody Character controller that uses the Oculus Touch Controllers
    Set Strafing on Either Controller
    Premade FPS Prefab (Just drop it in a scene and hit play)
    Built In Walk and Run Speeds
    Player Turning and Jumping
    Easily set up any object to be Interactively Grabbable
    Distance Grabbing that has an Adjustable Range
    All Grabbed Object’s Positions and Rotations can be set Individually for Each Hand
    Pistol Combat
    Melee Combat
    Pulling for Objects with Arced movement.
    (Such as Doors or the Lid to a Treasure Chest)
    No Hinge or Configurable Joint constraints Needed.
    Pulling and Dragging Objects with either Trigger Button (Detects Closest Point on the Collider)
    Example of Animated Light Intensities Fired by a Player entering a Trigger Area (Fade Up and Down over Time)
    Example of Fading Distant Materials.
    Pull Lever Example
    Slide Lever Example
    Button Example
    Demo Game
    Game Manager that controls the number of enemies
    Particle Event when Enemies Die
    Enemy Spawning System with Particle FX
    GUI with Fully Function Player Health and Player Score
    Commented Code and Tool Tips make it Easy to Learn

Virtuadreamer and Mark_01 like this.
  41. steveR

steveR

wondering about Oculus Go compatibility

42. J0linar

J0linar

The Dev said in earlier comments that there will be a mobile update in the Future.
    Now from what i can say is that you can compile and run on GO/GearVR but the input wont work along with the grab Mechanics.
    Btw @SoloChristian any update on Mobile? :)

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I'm still working on it guys. :) But I havn't forgotten. I will probably set it up as a different package with an upgrade path. I don't wish to complicate the main kit with multiple SDKs. It could get confusing for people not using mobile. But as soon as I have something I will post it in the thread.
    Getting the New Avatar SDK and Teleporting in place had the most requests so it was first in line for new additions...

Mark_01 likes this.
  44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Also I just signed a book contract and half the book is on the Oculus Go, So I will be spending a lot of time doing R and D. :)

Eldurin, Mark_01 and Virtuadreamer like this.
  45. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Congrats on the deal!

46. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

What's your recommendation on faster movement speed? On the older version I could just up the speed but now it doesn't seem to do much. Almost as if I need to accelerate first. Raising it too high can cause me to go flying into space which is barf city.

47. Eldurin

Eldurin

The developer added a ramping up of speed to help prevent motion sickness in those who are sensitive to it.

I set run speed to about three or four times the walking speed because a fast walking speed is around 4 mph and it's not too hard to sprint at 16 mph for short bursts. Not sure why the dev has the numbers so close (walk 140 / run 200) by default. Like you, I can hardly tell the difference with those numbers.

Once the player has ramped up to max walking speed, you can hold down the left thumbstick to get the rest of the way to full running speed.

48. Eldurin

Eldurin

Any chance for an alternative VR FPS player controller? Aspects of the current setup seem counter-intuitive to me. After working with the controller a few days in several environments/projects/scenes, I just can’t get used to it, nor can I nail down why it keeps glitching out on me.

It seems to work the best in your demo level, but when I put it “in the wild,” things go south quickly. After playing just a brief time, movement invariably beings hobbled or impossible. On occasion, the touch controllers become completely unresponsive.

One problem is that I must keep re-orienting my physical body to move forward in a straight line. Why isn’t “forward” the direction I am currently facing, like in real life? The other two standard controllers work that way, don’t they?

Why do I spin when I run into geometry? I know I can play with the angular drag values to reduce spinning, but why does collision cause spin at all? It’s disorienting, and…

After a few collisions, the controls glitch out. I end up sidewinding or literally turned around (despite facing toward the sensors) and need to press the thumbstick at a 45-degree angle, or backwards, to move forward.

And a controller request:

Can you make every buttons remappable in the inspector? Take the starting level, for example. By default, pressing either trigger loads the first level. Nearly every time I put my hands into the controllers, there’s enough contact with the sensitive triggers (LeftHand.indexTriggerState > 0.1f) to fire the event, so the level loads before I even have the headset on. i.e. Remapping “A” to start seems a better choice because hitting “A” by mistake is much less likely.

I know I can change that code to increase the force required to fire the event or replace it with (if(RightHand.ButtonOneA)), for example, but mapping from the inspector seems better for non-programmers and for testing values/settings quickly.

(Also, hitting “X” to quit doesn’t seem to work at all.)

I hope this post doesn’t sound negative. I love the kit and having a blast with it while learning a ton. Your hard work and frequent updates are greatly appreciated! I eagerly look forward to each update and hope that this kit becomes a great success for you.

PS: Has jumping been implemented yet? From your code, it appears that pressing the right thumbstick should do it, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I added the ability for the speed to ramp up over time. Also if you hold still long enough it drops your speed back down to zero. This was for people that suffer from Severe Motion Sickness. And this method actually does work for them. Also I will mention that the DEMO SCENE is HUGE. More then several football fields in lengths in the real world. So in smaller environments like a house you will seem to move quicker than in the demo scene. I gave people all this room in case they just wanted to build their game in the demo scene.

Now in the RigidbodyCharacter.cs script you have a Function called MotorForward(). In that you will find a line of code it is repeated twice. Once for Walking and once for running.

Code (CSharp):
    1. CurrentSpeed += BACKandFORTH.z * 0.9f;
    BackandForth is how much you are pushing the Joystick its max value is 1. We are modifying this by * 0.9F. So in essence we are saying increase speed by 90% of the Joystick's value. If you wished you could increase the modifier by a higher value such as * 1f or * 1.2f etc. Just remember that it is increasing this with each game loop so it happens quickly. If you use insanely large values you will shoot off like a rocket. I will also add in the CheckSpeed function, code to make sure you never exceed the walking and running speed in the next build.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    therewillbebrad and Mark_01 like this.
  50. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Out of hundreds of people using this kit this is the first time I am receiving this error report. First off I will say it is VR (Not the Real World) and YOU DO HAVE TO FACE YOUR SENSORS AT ALL TIMES. This is a common practice for VR Games. As long as you are facing your sensor you can use the controllers to turn, move , jump etc... I think we chatted on Facebook about this as well.

Full Body Tracking would require a minimum of 3 Sensors and a lot more code. And it wouldn't make sense because that code would have to track your rotation and physical change in position and somehow combine that with the movement you were doing with your joysticks as well. Typically when an app tracks body position it doesn't allow joystick / controller movement and then you are locked into the tiny space your sensors can track.

As far as why you are receiving errors in a Custom Environment of your own making I am not sure why. If you send me a DropBox link of your project I will be happy to take the time to look at your setup.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018