Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes the Asset Store automatically changes the prices when you own one of the kits.

2. athosrojas

athosrojas

let me understand, I buy this asset one year back to try develop some tests with my gear vr. oculus stop to support gear vr for developers on version 1.27 sdk. so I need to use 1.26 ( is working ok on 2018.3 ) but you asset only runs on unity 2019 and its incompatible with oculus sdk 1.26. so.... I cant use your asset to develop for gear vr? anymore , is it ? there is a way to donwload old pack versions to use with 2018 and olds sdks ???

3. athosrojas

athosrojas

another question I have a windows mixed reality, so I use steam vr sdk. I cant use it on steam vr sdk ????

4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Oculus No longer supports either of the devices you mentioned. Oculus Go and Gear VR are basically Dead Tech.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/...-business-go-dropped-vr-headset-support-quest

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/g...k-suite-142-and-future-versions/?locale=en_US

I made this very clear over 6 months ago. I don't keep old SDK's laying around either. So no old Unity versions are no longer supported. And I haven't added anything for Steam at this point.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am doing a complete Rewrite on the VR Kit. I am hoping to release the new version in the next 7 days.
    It will have :
    A new name.
    It will use the Universal Pipeline.
    It is written around Unity XR and the Unity Interaction Kit.
    It will No Longer be exclusive to Oculus.
    It will be compatible with any device that can use Unity XR.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and combatsheep like this.
  6. anakein

anakein

is out new version?

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No it will be delayed due to the Virus. Will try to get it out in the next 2 weeks..

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. michasvision

michasvision

Hey EddieChristian, hope you are well.
    Any news? Waiting eagerly...

9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have the new Player Prefab fully functional and interacting with objects (Including Force Grabbing from a distance). Buttons are now working. Levers are now working. Pull switches and drawers are now working. It has improved code on all. Today I am porting Teleportation. Then I have to convert the demo game over and get pistols working with the new system. At this point I am just a few days away from release.

Mark_01 likes this.
  10. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The new version is "EDDIE'S VR KIT". It is a transitional build allowing the kit to use Unity XR and features from Unity's VR Example "The Escape Room".
    The reasons for the change are:
    It allows people to use any Hardware Unity XR can use.
    It allows easy switching to different Build Types (PC, Android, ETC... )
    It allows easier additions of new Unity XR features.

Anyone who has the Quest Version of the VR Kit for Oculus should transition to the EDDIE VR KIT. All future improvements will be done there in the future. I have lowered the price to make the transition, and the Asset store will automatically set the price for you if you bought the Quest Kit already.

I HOPE EVERYONE is SAFE during this Horrible Pandemic. Please to care of yourself during these difficult times.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Mark_01 likes this.
  11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

12. ulthien

ulthien

well I did everything as instructed in the video above, starting from the new distribution just yesterday. Unity version is correct, but somehow the packages do not match, and no idea how ot repair this:

upload_2020-5-1_17-24-26.png

13. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am checking this now. Will post after downloading it from the asset store.

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I just tested it by downloading it from the asset store and it opened just fine. So here is a list of things you can try:

1. Restart Unity (Sometimes this works)
    2. Delete the local copy of the Asset and Re-Download it from the Asset Store.
    3. In the Empty Universal Project before you import the Kit Make sure you have these packages installed as shown in the attached image. You shouldn't have to do this, But maybe you Unity Editor is not properly updating the packages. UseThesePackages.jpg

15. ulthien

ulthien

yes thx, fascinating bug - i actually only updated shaders to 7.3.1 per hand and it worked.. thanks :)

EddieChristian likes this.
  16. ulthien

ulthien

Not sure if this has been asked,

but within Unity Editor run mode (game) on the PC, is it possible to move around the scene by keyboard or mouse?

17. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes it is discussed in the video posted above

18. toddkc

toddkc

Hi all. Pre-purchase question here. I've bought several other vr assets, and had the same issues with them all: the OVRPlayerController, which uses the unity charactercontroller. It just never "feels" right. It's great for basic prototypes, but not so much for an actual finished game (in my opinion). I've tried to convert from using the ovrplayercontroller to my own rigidbody-based solution, but I end up having a lot of issues related to height, sitting/standing, etc. And the assets I have all tie in the charactercontroller to everything of course, so replacing it breaks everything.

This asset is the only one I've seen that says it is built around a rigidbody. That alone has me sold, but before I drop even more money on more assets I thought I should come and ask. Does the rigidbody system work well? I know that's a vague question, just kinda wanting to get a dialogue going before I purchase. Thanks!

19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well I think it works, But I wrote it, So I may be biased. I can tell you that I haven't added any code to shrink the capsule controller if you were crawling or crouching. I figure that it is up to users to adjust the code for special situations such as this. The new version is called Eddie's VR Kit and is the first build using Unity XR. Because it is the first, I will be fine tuning things over the next couple of months. The schedule is affected by the Coronavirus and will be around me ensuring that my family is taken care of and things like rent get paid. Even though all my clients are currently shut down.

toddkc likes this.
  20. toddkc

toddkc

I'm not concerned about crawling/crouching, sorry I should have explained better. I mean if the user is sitting vs standing while playing the game. I hear ya about the virus, good luck to you and everyone else. I've been reduced to part-time myself, so that means more time for unity but also more caution when buying assets.

21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

When the Demo game starts it checks the height of the headset. Because I am new to Unity XR Myself, I will look into adding more options to this. Unity itself hasn't finished Unity XR, So I expect some changes as they complete it.

Mark_01 and toddkc like this.
  22. toddkc

toddkc

Interesting. Ok thank you, I'll mull it over some more :)

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So the latest Unity Build Unity 2019.3.14f1 forces the use of the XR Manager Plug-In. No more using Oculus and Steam Packages. This is fine except there is No Steam - Valve plug-in yet. So we will have to wait for one of these companies to do something about this.

I just submitted a build with this new version. I made some code changes to the Jumping in VR, Added a Terrain to the Demo Game, And added Guide rays to the hands when your in the Force Grab position. Just hold your Palm out and Pull the trigger to Force Grab. When the object is close to your hand use the Grip Button on the controller to grab it. In the future I will set up the Hand Rays to only appear when an object can be Force Grabbed. Also the code to switch from a VR Camera to a Desktop Camera was Fully Depreciated on this build. So I will have to find out what the new method is and if it is currently working in Unity/ I will correct this issue on a future update.

Hopefully Unity is close to finishing all these Massive Structural Changes to the Engine Soon. Then Developers can focus on streamlining and polishing code.

I hope Everyone is Safe during this Pandemic.

Attached Files:

Mark_01 likes this.
  24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just submitted a build for Eddie's VR Kit for Unity 2019 LTS. Unity Packages were updated, and some Materials in the Demo Game were updated as well. I will be keeping it on this version of Unity for now in the hopes that they will stabilize and improve it first.

Mark_01 and toddkc like this.
  25. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hi, I am glad to find you well as well. I have been away from Unity for over a year ( just doing other stuff ) ...

At 60 I am high risk for this with some of the bad conditions to have. So lot's of time in door's LOL.

2 quick questions please. I am not sure I am reading this right, or you are combining the two packages ?

I finally got that Oclus Quest :) And want to Use that package ? or do we use https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/eddie-s-vr-kit-10333#releases ?

The other question is ** Emerald AI Compatible ** supported for the Quest as well ?

Thanks for your time. Stay safe as well you and yours.

26. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Eddie VR Kit is me porting what I did before to Unity's XR system. Because XR is still being made there will be changes ahead and a few rough spots. What should happen is that any hardware that supports Unity XR will run on Eddie's VR Kit. I left the Quest version of the Oculus Kit up in the store while the changeover is happening. Anyone that owns it can upgrade to the Eddie's VR Kit at a discounted price. The price is automatically adjusted by the Asset Store. But only the Eddie's VR Kit will be upgraded in the future. Eventually the goal is as Unity finishes fixing XR then the Eddie's kit will run on everything Unity supports.

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. Mark_01

Mark_01

Okay Sounds good. I should have said I own both versions. Fully agree just having one version to look
    after makes good sense. I won't make any comments about Unity and versions it puts out :D

28. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

Hi Eddie. So I got the vr kit a while ago and I am using it in a new project I started but I am having an issue. Is there any way to change the turning movement from smooth to incremented? Like on The Forest you can switch between the two. I find that the smooth turning makes me want to blow chunks in less than a minute.

Thanks

29. Mark_01

Mark_01

To my way of thinking, sticking with Unity version 2019xxLT is great for this.
    I am not sure, if you can, but if* you decided to upgrade these to unity 2020xxx,

would it be possible to keep both versions 2019 and 2020 ( if you make for only 2020 ) then could it
    be possible to keep both versions on the unity store ?

And or I tend to keep back ups too... anyways, just thinking out loud. Thanks for making this. :)

30. ozzymuppet

ozzymuppet

I just tried this today... awesome :)

You need to fix the controls though. All games use left controller for forward/back, and right controller for left/right. Also, it should turn left/right in about 30-45 degree increments. This stops motion sickness.

Are you still working on this? It has so much promise.

Edit: I can see in the 'VR starter kit' manual, "You can check Strafe Right Controller
    on the RigidbodyCharacter script to set strafing to the right controller", however that setting does'nt appear to exist. Is this manual for an older version?

Edit 2: Doing lots of reading, so I assume the 'Eddies VR Kit' version is still being ported across and may not have all the features of the VR toolkit yet. Looking forward to your next release.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  31. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The porting process continues on Eddie's VR Kit. Version 4.5 was just submitted. The Desktop Camera Switcher now works with Unity XR again. Of course if your doing Mobile Only builds you won't need this. Just deactivate the VR_DESKTOP script.

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Here is another video. More to come.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. NinoRules

NinoRules

Hi Christian ! I just bought the new version of the KIT for my Quest development, but I'm unable to make a weapon teleport to my hands even if I have the green line. I tested the test scene that you did but it doesn't work.

When I'm close to the weapon, I can take it. Did you already has this issue ?

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

You have to have your palm facing the object. I haven't encountered any issues. But I will look into it.

35. NinoRules

NinoRules

Oh man, I just understood the behaviour to grab a weapon remotely. I prefer the old way of doing it. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes I just tested the build and everything works fine on the Quest and the Rift. The videos will help you. The next update will be sometime this week and switching controllers from the left to the right will be fixed then.

37. Scoremonger

Scoremonger

Hi @EddieChristian, I just picked up this asset and tried installing it in a new, unmodified 2020.1 URP project, but I get 49 errors once it's done installing the package. I see the recommended version is 2019.4 LTS, but is there a known solution to this issue in 2020.1? Or is there any chance the next release will address that? Thanks!

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Unity 2020 Is HIGHLY Experimental and changes constantly. Use it at your own risk. And this is what Unity says as well. We use 2019 for this very reason. I own about 300 Unity Plugins and only 2 work properly at this point in 2020. We may support in when it is nearing completion. But that is months from now. Even 2019 for VR is still not fully stable.

39. Scoremonger

Scoremonger

I see. The description for this package in the asset store lists the compatibility as "2019.4.5 or higher", so I assumed you were supporting stable releases of 2020 as well.

40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

There are No Stable releases of 2020. Stable releases will have an LTS on the end. 2020 is still listed as an Alpha. So it hasn't even reached Beta Stage yet.

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. ZZix

ZZix

I really wanted to buy this but I guess vive isn't supported yet? Really a piss off. Unity+valve are really dragging their feet, i might need to swap to unreal so I dont have to deal with this crap anymore.

Gl dev, hopefully, you get vive support in XR soon.

42. Mark_01

Mark_01

Because of Unity acquiring Bolt and Bolt 2 ( which they had intended to kill : ( but we are still fighting for it ) ...
    This could have been used by teachers as well for bolt and bolt 2 ..

With the IPO unity is starting, I'd think things will be in flux for a while if not a long time. With that in mind I intend to
    sit on unity 2019 X for a long time. ( so i can use bolt )

I was going to ask if you can please keep the last copy for unity 2019 X , when if you add 2020X support ...
    I am going to frezze all my assets for 2019...

When i was young 20's XD I was always the latest greatest for software, now at my age, I see the wisdom of
    sometimes older works better. imho at times. But if you are holding off till 2020X LTS .. good idea!!

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yeah My hands are tied waiting for the big companies to decide to finish their proper support. @Mark_01 I just had my first refund because the store always says the Version# and UP. Even though myself and other Devs Constantly Post that we don't support NON LTS versions. It was irritating since the customer knew about my warnings and tried to force it to work in 2020X anyway. For now I will try to keep it in 2019. And when we go to 2020 I will be sure to keep a Back-Up of the last 2019 build just in case.

Mark_01 likes this.
  44. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thanks so much. And yes many other Dev's feel the same way. I have already read in a forum that
    Bolt will not work in the latest Unity versio0n, even though they own it now.

Maybe the Dev will have to start putting for Unity X version in big bold letters on the first line
    in the description. Personally I can't see a Unity 2020 LTS by the end of this
    year even. They may have taken on too much at once now. IDK .. I love unity though.

Any ways have a good day.

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 4.6 Submitted to the Asset Store. Switching Controllers now works in Unity XR. Left Secondary Button now switches Movement controls from left to right controllers. (That is the "Y" Button on Oculus Controllers)

combatsheep and Mark_01 like this.
  46. Mark_01

Mark_01

Off Topic in some way's .. If you want to go straight to the article instead of reading what the comments were main points were for me instead .. it is here https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

Please excuse any typo's etc.. I was just seeing Oculus Quest 2 will be for sale Oct 13 .
    How ever ( bad news for me ) ... Quest 2 will Have to have a face book account to run. Also if they disable your account for any reason, you will loose the ability to even Use the Quest 2. ( I have no FB and don't want ) ..
    Also, support for any Oculus device will only be supported till 2023 .. ( with only an oculus account ) .. Then you will need to have a FB account.

This hits me all the wrong way. FB will have ton's of personal data on any of its user's . And feels like a electronic net.
    I saw yesterday Amazon in making 360 million a day ,, but they can't pay the workers decent wages .. /rant off on that.

What really chilled me was a comment ( I do not know if this is true or not, but is is said to be a leaked email from Zuckerberg ) .. From the comments >> "

(Zuckerbergs words)
    "The strategic goal is the clearest. We are vulnerable on mobile to Google and Apple because they make major mobile platforms. We would like a stronger strategic position in the next wave of computing. We can achieve this only by building both a major platform as well as key apps."

"I will discuss the main elements of the platform and key apps further below, but for now keep in mind that we need to succeed in building both a major platform and key apps to improve our strategic position on the next platform. If we only build key apps but not the platform, we will remain in our current position [of being beholden to platform holders]. If we only build the platform but not the key apps, we may be in a worse position. We need to build both."

"From a timing perspective, we are better off the sooner the next platform becomes ubiquitous and the shorter the time we exist in a primarily mobile world dominated by Google and Apple. The shorter this time, the less out community is vulnerable to the actions of others. Therefore, our goal is not only to win in VR / AR, but also to accelerate its arrival. This is part of my rationale for acquiring companies and increasing investment in them sooner rather than waiting until later to derisk them further. By accelerating this space, we are derisking our vulnerability on mobile." "

And sorry here is another comment about FB wanting to Buy Unity ( true or not IDK )

"
    I feel the email had much more serious implications, like his desire to acquire Unity and his borderline doomsday plan for the engine. Basically he sees how Google is controlling the net by heavily incentivising services into APIs that are widely used. What if you do that to a game engine, while crippling your competitors in the same engine?

I can understand Zuckerberg wanting to have complete market dominance since his competitors want to kill him off in the same exact way, but I can't get behind that at all. And I don't want to help create Web 3.0, v2 for something you should treat as a conceptually simple gaming accessory. No data harvesting, no nonsense. Just tech you can use.

Basically how I feel is that an immediate commercial success in this case doesn't mean a successful grasp of the VR space. Most Quest users seem to begrudgingly use a Quest with plans to utterly leave the ecosystem. The VR software scene has a heavy drought Facebook won't and can't fix. Yet they want to take over the marketshare *now*, but not really accelerate anything other than price reduction. "

P.S https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-files-for-ipo.957398/page-3#post-6325332
    " Brackeys quits youtube and game dev exactly when Unity IPO goes live, this can't be coincidence. "

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    StevenPicard likes this.
  47. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Great post!

Based on what I am reading from what Facebook itself is stating, you "buy" the hardware but you really don't own it. They can prevent you from using the very hardware you purchased based on any reason they want (people may say "no" but Facebook is the one that creates the rules and they can be as arbitrary as they want.) This is a "big brother" tyrannical control over something you purchased. I don't own a personal Facebook account and I don't want to and even if I did they might disable my headset simply because they don't like my politics. Looks like I won't be buying Quest 2.

If Facebook purchases Unity that would a devastating blow to it. If Facebook buys Unity I will cut my loss and move to Unreal.

One more thing. Facebook has already proven they can sunset your hardware whenever they like it. Not too far into the future my Go will be a paperweight. They should start selling tv's and cars with that plan. "We didn't like the movies you were watching so we disabled your tv," or, "You bought the car, yah, but we didn't like what you said on social media so good luck starting it up."

Edit to add: I don't want to derail Eddie's thread. So this'll be my one and only post regarding this particular topic but it is a kind of issue that I think people should be aware of. If it isn't an issue for them, then that's fine.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Mark_01 likes this.
  48. Mark_01

Mark_01

I agree 100 % I was all hyped up to buy a quest 2, then I saw you need to have a FB account...
    people are being corraled into this. By looking at screens all day, besides lowering life span, people get lost
    and don't really live life. And we are starting to see imho, the dark side of social media, as in people are easier to
    believe conspiracy theory's than the cold hard truth, because they do not want to see or can not really believe
    ' this " could happen.. like global warming... even covid, it is easier to make fun of people wearing masks than
    to admit the situation is very bad, and that common sense should tell you, that a barrier on your nose and mouth,
    could prevent you from giving some one " the common cold even " and if they did the same, it would seem obvious this would be good for you as well if others wore masks.

I had been very ignorant of virus in general ( am not a doctor ) .,. so washing hands, touching face, etc .. common sense
    would lead you to believe this is a good thing to do. But yet it is easier to believe social media conspiracy's then say BBC or other good news stations or reputable news papers and get more than one source of information. Having your head stuck in social" opinion " networks all day long is like having blinders on " imho "

So yeah I don't think I will be buying a quest 2 either.

If* you were going straight for the most user's it would make sense that, that is phone's since most of the people can not afford VR in the first place.

Your right about when a corporation can turn off your hardware you bought and paid for, any reason they say..... that is not a good place.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well I am hoping that this pushes Unity to get the Unity XR drivers in more quickly for the other devices. It's shocking that a single company such as Facebook can deliver such a Huge blow to an entire industry.

Kennth and StevenPicard like this.
  50. accounts_unity775

accounts_unity775

How do I enable teleportation for the Quest? Doesn't seem to work right out of the gate.
    I've tried all of the the buttons, and the thumbstick on both hands. Can't get it to work. My plane is on the ground layer as well. I've tried to add the Tag ground to the plane as well with no luck. I only see the green ray when I face the palm outward, and the ray seem to point back at me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020