Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10333

The Oculus VR Starter Kit Has Been Released!! This package gives you a solid Framework to run around in your VR Environment and Interact with Objects.
    I wrote this for my students in the VR classes I teach, originally. The goal was to get students past the technical stuff quickly so they could go straight to telling their stories. Now in a couple of minutes they can walk around and use objects in their environment.
    Also in the past, with supplied scripts, there were problems with memory issues in Unity. By writing all the code myself, I was able to remove all these issues.
    And of Course, Since this code is constantly being used in both Class and Production Environments, It will always be updated with new features.

I hope people Enjoy the kit and I look forward to seeing all the cool stuff people make with it.

ONLINE DOCS (WORK IN PROGRESS)
    VIDEO TUTORIALS (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 2.2 has just been Submitted to the Asset Store :)

I added a Public Boolean Variable to Freeze Player movements when you want the player to hold still. for Game Narrations etc..

I also added a Minion / Boss System. Now after a certain number of enemies are killed you can spawn a Boss Enemy.

And I added a "You Win" scene to the Demo Game which loads when you defeat the boss. It gives you the option to play again or quit the game.

Also Updates to the manual and additional code commenting.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you !!!

Am very excited, this looks like it could be what I have wanted to do for a long time.
    A RPG style .. I took out my spelling mistakes on the review too.

I am hoping you do Very well on this. I think VR is only getting better in the next few years.

EddieChristian likes this.
  4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thank You!! I pushed the release early so one of my classes could have access to it during their class term. So I will be adding tons of stuff over the next few weeks. A bunch of Art Assets and New Features. Thanks Again for your Support. :) Also V 2.3 will be submitted over the weekend.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 2.2 Went Live Today.

I added a Public Boolean Variable to Freeze Player movements when you want the player to hold still. for Game Narrations etc..

I also added a Minion / Boss System. Now after a certain number of enemies are killed you can spawn a Boss Enemy.

And I added a "You Win" scene to the Demo Game which loads when you defeat the boss. It gives you the option to play again or quit the game.

Also Updates to the manual and additional code commenting.

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Couldn't decided on a color so I just included all of them in next week's release. :)

uni7y and Mark_01 like this.
  7. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Does this have any climbing features? And what does this do over VRTK?

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No but I will add climbing to the list. I wrote this because my students had issues getting VRTK to work properly. And I add features when possible to keep it as a starting point for students to work with Oculus.

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

10. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 2.3 has Colliders for all the Finger Joints and Updated art assets. This has been Submitted to the Asset Store and should be available on Wednesday.

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Can you make a tutorial please how to use different hand graphics?

12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well there are the different Avatar hand setting for the Oculus Avatar system and Custom Hands. I am sure we will wind up covering both at some point. Not only do my classes have a high interest in this, But I happen to be fascinated with the possibilities as well.

Mark_01 and pushingpandas like this.
  13. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

great! Thank you. Cant wait for teleport implementation.

14. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

oh and Bows :D

Mark_01 and EddieChristian like this.
  15. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

V2.3 is live on the Asset Store now/ :)

uni7y and Mark_01 like this.
  16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Starting on Push Button, Slide Lever, and Pull Lever examples.

Mark_01 and uni7y like this.
  17. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their Support and Awesome Suggestions on features to add to the Kit. I just got an email asking about Gear VR support. This is something that hadn't even occurred to me. So now I am looking into purchasing a Gear VR set-up. I have tasks and classes over the weekend but I will release another build early next week. And thanks again for all your Great Input!! :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hey :) When can you add BOW and ARROWS? :D

uni7y likes this.
  19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have a list and things will be added as fast as I can. I have updated 3 times in less then 2 weeks. But as I posted earlier the next update won't be until next week. Teaching and working over the next few days. Including testing AR stuff:

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Cool. Is that a online course? Were can I subscribe myself to it?

21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

22. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

I'm really thankful for you doing this.

Curious if other people are having a similar issue with throwing the items. When I throw items like a dart they go crazy but when tossed like a Frisbee they work.

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I believe it happens when the Touch controllers are held at odd angles. I am aware of the issue and working on a fix that factors in the rotations of the controllers. I should have a fix on the next release.

Mark_01 likes this.
  24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just did a fix on this. If anyone wants to message me with an Email and Invoice # , I will email you the New EDDIE_HAND script early. So you don't have to wait for the next release.

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

This will be submitted to the Asset Store Tomorrow Night :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  26. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Looks awesome! Very helpful information with the pivot points as well.

27. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Mark_01 likes this.
  28. Mark_01

Mark_01

I am so glad I got this. Watching the Physics Helper. Brilliant work, thank you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  29. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Just to let people know, There are several additions on the way. Attachment Points and Teleportation is being worked on now. What are Attachment Points? They are used for things like Dragging and Pulling. They are also the Precursor for things like a Holster System and Pullable Bow Strings.

I'm actually not a big fan of Teleportation Movement. I feel that it brings you out of the story when you do such unnatural movement. But it was requested by a large number of people, So I am working on adding it. I have already added a new Zero Bounce Physics material that helps make Levers act more naturally. It will be in the next build. My goal is to make the Joint Constraint a thing of the past if possible.

Mark_01 and WHHoog like this.
  30. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

As someone who needs a place to store his virtual guns I'm nudging you to work on attachment points. ;) And I completely agree, I feel teleporting was necessary in VR's infancy but now that we got resources like this it's time to fly. Games like sprint vector and skyrim vr are exhilirating because of their movement.

31. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

From the reaction I got from Ryan Kingslien's kids, I see a lot more AR projects in my future. I think I will make a complete AR Pet Template and put it on the Unity Asset Store.

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's looking like it will be Tuesday or Wednesday when I will be submitting V2.5 To the Asset Store.
    Here is a list of what has been Added so far:
    Example of Fading Distant Materials.
    Example of Animated Light Intensities Fired by a Player entering a Trigger Area (Fade Up and Down over Time)
    Zero Bounce Physics Material
    Pulling and Dragging Objects with the either Trigger Button ( Will have an option to assign a specific Pull Point)
    A Massively Updated / Improved Physics Helper Script.

33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

This has been Submitted to the Asset Store :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    therewillbebrad and Mark_01 like this.
  34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I understand your concern regarding teleportation but games should have optional if they use teleportation or not. Many getting sickness with they use locotion due the unnatural motion so many need teleportation as an option.

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Very true I have one student that suffers from it. Teleportation is definitely on the list of features to add. I personally won't be using it, But I feel it is important to have for others who may wish it.

Mark_01 and pushingpandas like this.
  36. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ent/vr-movement-system-for-oculus-touch-47292

This is a good solution for teleportation as well as flight. Very easy to mix and match with this package.

37. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Also maybe there's a gap in my knowledge but is there a way to know which parts of the asset to upload in your existing project? I've made some changes to some of the scripts so knowing which ones have been changed would be helpful for re importing in to an existing project.

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Quite a few have changed and will again on the next build as I work out an easy system for things that rotate like doors.
    Offhand I would say the Physics Helper, and hand scripts and the hand prefabs were changed as well.

39. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I guess it's Decided :) After I get an easy setup up for doors and other objects with rotation involved, I will do Teleportation next...

Mark_01 likes this.
  40. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you :) I was hoping for that and bow and arrows, for a good RPG starting point for sure :)

41. J0linar

J0linar

Would love to see a Gear VR update as well :)

42. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It seems their new Portable headset that is coming out runs Gear VR. So when that comes out I may buy it. If that happens I am sure thing will be added to the kit :)

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

44. Insta_K1ller

Insta_K1ller

""After 16 days of dealing with Quaternions and Unity's bizarre rules for coding rotations, I have finally got Arcing Motion for Pulled / Pushed objects. Now Doors, Arcing Levers, Lids for Treasure Chests and More are possible without a need for the Hinge Constraint or the Configurable Joint Constraint.""

Great feature! Its a really nice asset and is becoming better and better.
    I had no idea where to start with VR / Oculus earlier and this package seems like really good starting point!
    Looking forward to the new update :)

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I will be submitting the Next update in a day or two. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. J0linar

J0linar

Too bad... thats gonna take some time till we see some mobile love, atm there is no real gear vr/oculus go specific template assset, your starter kit would make mobile vr much easier, either way i purchased to support the work you do, lookin forward to the next updates.

47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

After I get this Release out, I have to add Teleportation and a Bow and Arrow Setup. But I have every intention to support mobileVR. And Thanks for Your Support :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Also I need to start looking into moving the kit to 2018. And doing pipeline versions (Free to existing customers of course)
    I am interested in knowing how many people are immediately moving to version 2018.

49. Mark_01

Mark_01

YEAH!!! Been looking so forward to this, hoping for not to much " feature creep " :D

Thank you for your hard work on this. I am very sure this will pay off for you big time in the long run here. :)

50. Mark_01

Mark_01

Oh on the 2018 question ,, I know a lot are still on Unity pro 5.64 pro ..
    and then there is 2017.4 for long term as Unity calls it.

The way unity changes everything so much .. ( but i am not a coder , so i have zero idea of the work involved ) ..
    personally i'd be a bit shy of 2018 for awhile simply since a lot of assets need to catch up. But that is just imho ..

But then again, a fair amount of dev's are working on the theory of developing for the XXX.f versions and stay away from peeps asking for it to work in beta versions .. you get pulled in a lot of directions at times.

Last edited: May 3, 2018