Search Unity

[RELEASED] VR Interaction Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BeardedNinjaGames, Jan 28, 2020.

1. pantang

pantang

IS there any guides for making this work with Telepathy/Mirror instead of Photon? This looks absolutely awesome, it would be perfect if its networking component didn't require a subscription so my players can keep on playing long after i am gone.

2. toblex

toblex

Hi,
    I'm looking at the Bow Script & Wondering when it obtains the 'ClosestGrabbable' variable? I can see it's between picking up the bow and grabbing an arrow.

Could you please advise?

3. hensoup

hensoup

when I grab my gun using VRIF it always is backward in some VR headsets is there a way to fix this?

4. Sword111

Sword111

Heals in the air, ive tried every adjustment to get the heals on the floor on button A .
    Can anyone suggest which values to amend please! Thanks H Screenshot 2022-01-15 15.48.05.png

5. R3plicant_

R3plicant_

HI @BeardedNinjaGames . Very new to VRIF, and so far the demo is amazing. Question, looking around Youtube and Docs, I couldnt find anything relating on how to include in VRIF into a custom scene. Don't know if this is already covered, and may have missed, but believe nothing out there that is easily digestible. Maybe the question is very nnob, so apologies to all for the many eyerolls. Any help is greatly appreciated! Best.

6. LearnTry

LearnTry

How to add haptic when using UI?

7. ariansyah

ariansyah

Hi All,

Has anyone ever encountered a dark area around the player using VR interaction framework? it moves with the player and it only appears when deployed on the device (I am using Oculus Quest 2) and not in the Editor.

When I try XR rig (and advanced) only on the plane (e.g. outdoor) it looks fine.
    But, when I put it inside the building (e.g. indoor), it looks as if it has a circle that block the light from above.
    Capture.PNG Capture01.PNG

The Unity version that I am using is Unity 2020.3.25f1.

Thank you all

8. Tom_3D

Tom_3D

How do we configure a default hand pose? I don't want the open thumbup/finger out post to be the default in our interface as its suppose to be interacting with a virtual person and it's wierd to be always pointing at them, want to retain the grip to squeeze animations though

I've even tried overwriting the open and wide open hand poses but no effect

9. Phalanx39

Phalanx39

That circle of darkness is the shadows that appear because you are in the building. The problem here is that your shadow distance is very low, which means you are only seeing the shadows correctly inside that little circle around you. You can notice that the window correctly shows light coming through. Try going to your renderer settings and increasing the shadow distance, so that you can correctly see further shadows.

BeardedNinjaGames likes this.
  10. TangLei77

TangLei77

Hi,All,

I want to use this plugin to make a climbing demo on the device(Oculus Rift S). But I don't know how to change to the original button.I can't find the Function.

I'm looking forward to your reply soon.

TymNetwork likes this.
  11. danreid70

danreid70

Is there a simple way (and maybe it's simple but I'm just not seeing it) to enable Passthrough camera for Oculus(Meta) Quest, with the latest Oculus Integration SDK settings?

12. thisismyweakarm

thisismyweakarm

Hey BeardedNinjaGames. Great work on the framework. Just wanted to give a heads up that I think you forgot to call the public "snapinputamount" float in the Player Rotation script's DoSnapRotation method. Instead it just seems to call 0.1 as the threshold. I believe all of the 0.1f values should be SnapInputAmount.

Cheers,

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public virtual void DoSnapRotation(float xInput) {
    3.             // Reset rotation amount before retrieving inputs
    4.             rotationAmount = 0;
    6.             // Snap Right
    7.             if (xInput >= 0.1f  && previousXInput < 0.1f) {
    8.                 rotationAmount += SnapRotationAmount;
    9.             }
    10.             // Snap Left
    11.             else if (xInput <= -0.1f && previousXInput > -0.1f) {
    12.                 rotationAmount -= SnapRotationAmount;

13. VirtualDawn

VirtualDawn

I found couple bugs from pico integration setup:
    1.The laser pointers distance doesn't work with UI unless pico cameras (left, right, both) are tagged as "MainCamera". And the example scene pico cameras are not tagged as such.(Can having multiple MainCameras cause issues elsewhere?)
    2.The "Elevate camera if no HMD present" boolean on BNG Player Controller always elevates the camera on Pico, like it doesn't detect it as an active HMD. This should be fixed or note made on tooltip, I spent some time figuring out why my player doesn't work on Pico, but works on Quest.
    3? The HeadCollision object works better parented to the PlayerController? Since at least I have kept the XR Rig always at 0,0,0 and only moved the player controller. When I do that, the HeadCollision object is no longer where the CenterEyeAnchor is at start and so the fixed joint moves it in relation to camera, but from far away from 0,0,0 position.
    Why I don't move the XR Rig parent? There was some issue when spawning characters with Photon(not pico specific), where it only spawned properly when the XR Rig parent object was at 0,0,0. Not sure if that was my error, it's been a while since.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  14. jdiperla

jdiperla

I third the request for Adventure Creator integration.

jeremiasz likes this.
  15. marv69pa

marv69pa

I am running a project In Unity 2020.35 and have went through the steps to import VRIF and Windows Mixed Reality Toolkit and using Open XR. When I run the example scene the controllers work properly and everything seems OK except that I get an error code that reads "unity failed to set TrackingOriginMode to floor". I have tried to use device as well and still get the error. In addition to having this error the player floats in whatever direction you are looking. If I click thumb-stick and use teleport this does not happen.

16. rerwandi

rerwandi

How can i make the UI clickable with cursor instead of right hand camera caster pointer when developing ?
    In my case, the UI is following the camera head, so it's impossible to click it without using the VR device.

17. Fauster23

Fauster23

Hi guys,
    Do you know how to modify the "UI Pointer" script to use raycasting in the UI with both controllers?
    Thanks in advance to all.

18. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

I have this asset. Its got so many things that I needed to use in my project ideas. Thanks.
    Second. I notice that the LASER gun is set on the table in a place that makes a player automatically grab
    if they try to cock the pistol. The laser gun doesn't seem to want to drop as well.

I want to learn a few things with this.

1- how to change the robot ragdoll into my own model - i have a clown I want to use.
    2- how do I change the FULL BODY that is on the player so when I look into a mirror I see the character avatar I made.
    3- how do I move the container "holsters" to a wider spread...almost a back pocket ....so I don't accidentally grab inside.

I am happy to keep trying these challenges on my own, but a secret tip is always nice..LOL!

Thanks again... Hope the update blows my mind like the original does!

Sword111 likes this.
  19. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi there! Glad you're enjoying it :) To answer your questions :

1. To create your own ragdoll like the one in the demo you can use Unity's built-in ragdoll wizard (that's what I used to set up the robot). And then add a Grabbable component to the colliders you want to be able to grab. The robot's arms (and head! :p ) are detachable - if you want to do something like that you need to separate those meshes and attach the joint helper script to call the event. If you take a look at the colliders on the ragdoll you should be able to see the relevant components and some good settings to use.

2. There is an example with a half body / robot on the XR Advanced rig. You can parent your model in there and then hide the robot body. The rotate by using the RotateWithHMD script to keep things nice and smooth.

3. You can manually move the SnapZone transforms where you'd like them. The trigger colliders are the zones where a player can drop items. There are holsters as well as shoulder triggers / slots on the xr advanced rig.

Cheers!

TymNetwork and beard-or-die like this.
  20. PPmanpp

PPmanpp

Sorry, this is a really elementary question. I don't know how to change the controller (stick) settings.
    I want to stop moving the player with the left stick because I myself get VR sickness easily. And instead, I want to increase or decrease the variable by going up or down on the left stick.
    Today ended while I was trying to find out how to set that up. Could you please teach me how to do this? I am really sorry for your time.

21. steam1_unity116

steam1_unity116

Hello everyone.
    I need some help with the THC Vive because the snap turn for the rotation work only if i touch the trackpad in any direction but I would like tu rotate only when i click the trackpad in the left or right direction. Any advices please?

22. sapiains

sapiains

upload_2022-5-12_17-17-3.png
    Hello everyone, I wanted to share what I was doing and some problems I have

I'm trying to get the character in and out of a vehicle without much luck so far. The last problem I had is that the character when driving the vehicle does not rotate with it, so if I turn right the character continues to face in the original direction while the vehicle rotates under him.

upload_2022-5-12_17-17-42.png

Do you plan to add more functions for vehicles? perhaps an example on an aircraft?

upload_2022-5-12_17-19-8.png

On the other hand, I had success making a system where panels are destroyed to provide material that can be used to create barriers. with the hammer you can nail wood to the doors or windows

23. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. I typed up a long response but it accidentally got deleted :( Luckily one of our awesome community members made a video about driveable cars you can check out :

The quick answer is that you need to disable the CharacterController / Rigidbody (if using a rb controller) as well as the SmoothLocomotion component while driving the vehicle. VRIF also includes a script to help calibrate the player height to a predefined height. For example if you want to make sure the player is looking right over the steering wheel when they enter the car.

Fwiw, I'm hesitant to include a lot of vehicle functionality in VRIF because I am worried about making users sick. But if there is enough interest I can always post more examples on the Discord, Wiki, or in a separate scene in VRIF with a disclaimer.

And come check out the Discord if you haven't already. I've seen all kinds of vehicles using VRIF - jets, helicopters, mechs, tanks, pirate ships, flying dragons - you name it :)

dmenefee likes this.
  24. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi everyone,

Version 1.8 (and 1.81) are now live on the Unity asset store. Here are the changes :

1.8 :
    - Added new fully gloved Hand Models and made them default for XR Advanced Rig
    - Added Valve Index Finger Tracking support
    - Added new Hand Model Switch example to XR Demo scene
    - Added HeadCollision Push Back example
    - Added "PoseBlending" to HandPoser
    - Virtual Keyboard keys are now physical objects
    - PUN Integration : Fixed Hand Offset on remote players
    - UniversalAI Integration : Added example for how to deal damage

1.81 :
    -
    Added option for Raycast Check on Remote Grabber (no more grabbing through walls)
    - Initial Integration support for XR Interaction Toolkit
    -
    Bug fixes for Valve Index users

Hope you're all digging the new free glove models I've included! There's a new area in the demo where you can try them all out now as well. I just love all the little details - I think they really look great up close :)

25. Niraj_Cognizant

Niraj_Cognizant

@BeardedNinjaGames :

For multiplayer VR experience there is PUN 2 integration we can see in the Documentation page. However when we are going to download PUN 2 from asset store: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/pun-2-free-119922#publisher , in their description part they are recommending us for newer project go with Photon Fusion.

Can you please guide us whether to remain with PUN 2 or same process can be applied using Fusion. If fusion is possible, do we need to put extra effort to make the VR avatars and Grabbable object sync work or it will work out of box ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

26. pramodnp

pramodnp

Locomotion Manager is not working in Photon multiplayer.

Hello @BeardedNinjaGames ,
    I'm trying to creating a multiplayer game using photon and using VR interaction framework player. The issue I'm facing is when there is single player in the scene then the toggle between locomotion and teleportation is working fine. But as soon as the remote player joins the scene the toggle between locomotion and teleportation stops working for both local and remote player.
    Kindly let me know how to fix this issue.

Thanks,
    Nandish

27. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. I haven't had a chance to checkout Photon Fusion yet, but I'm very interested in it :) I'll take a deeper look and see what it takes to update the included integration. Seems like Fusion is the path forward. I've got a partial Mirror integration I'd like to include as well, with some bigger integrations coming in the future.
    There is an included Photon PUN integration with VRIF you can check out. It doesn't have the issue you mentioned. I imagine you're setting up your player differently and may just need to check if the view is the owner or not.

28. Niraj_Cognizant

Niraj_Cognizant

That's some good news, Mirror integration will be exciting. Thanks for all your good work :)
    Have you ever thought to integrate Normcore SDK as that is also looking promising for XR Multiplayer projects. Just a query.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  29. Stormwynd

Stormwynd

After I switch to the new input system and install VRIF, XR Plug-in Management dissapears from the Project settings.

I have verified that itXR Plug-In is there prior to installing VRIF.

30. steam1_unity116

steam1_unity116

Hello everyone. I need a big help with a bug with snapPoints. when I move an object in a snapZone under my snapZone it works, but if I want to move it to an upper snapzone it turn back. I don't want to drop the item, only swap to another snapZone. Even in the demo scene with the backpack if I disable the drop item option does the same bug. please help

31. pantang

pantang

The problem with these services is they cost a fortune in the long run and it would be nice if it used an open framework that can be self hosted so players can keep playing long term without the need of constant investment. Telepathy would be awesome but thats just my personal preference

32. Stormwynd

Stormwynd

Ok so after installing and trying to run the demo I get an error "Please use Android APILEVEL22 or higher"

This seemed odd because I installed Unity just a couple of months ago, and acccording to player settings I am on API Level 23 Marshmallow, with Target API Automatic "highest Installed".

I installed android studio, and according to it my highest installed version is 33.

So I have no idea why it thinks I am on API level 19.

I only get this error after installing VRIF.

Any help? Ideas?

33. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

There seems to be bug with UI interaction. If you test the sliders, as soon as the laser pointer looses focus while you're dragging it stops working.

Another strange thing is sometimes UI interaction does not work if both hands are not visible. Say if you move your left hand out of the view, UI interaction stops

34. great04

great04

Is there any description and/or instruction on the new integration with XR Interaction Toolkit? I have an existing project using XRIT, and would love to integrate awesome features in VRIF. Thanks!

35. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

I did play around with Normcore a bit, though at the time (this was a while ago) there weren't a lot of docs, so I kind of just trailed off on it. Not to knock Normcore - there is some really cool stuff there. I have a lot of prior experience with Photon PUN and Mirror, so have just sort of stuck with those two as I can work quickly and between those two (managed vs. self-hosted) they seem to cover a lot of bases. I'm very interested in the new Photon Fusion product as well - it has higher player counts, and some interesting features such as deterministic physics and client-side prediction that I want to play around with.

Hi - sorry for the late reply. Did you get this sorted? If not please hit me up on the Discord. I'm way faster at responding there. For some reason my Unity forum notifications are very delayed or non-existent at times, so it's tough for me to answer timely here. But I'm often on Discord and the community is super helpful / awesome as well :)

I generally disagree - I think these services (Photon PUN / Fusion) are super affordable for what they deliver. PUN / Fusion is free for 20 concurrent users which is amazing for indie / smaller devs. That free plan can support a lot of small projects at no cost. And for a one-time fee of $99 for the year you get 100ccu's. Most indie games don't get to that point where more than 100 people are playing concurrently. If you've got more CCU's then that, then I'd argue you've probably got a budget to put towards networking / architecture or a larger ccu plan.

I compare that hosting yourself on something like DigitalOcean or AWS which requires more dev time / maintenance on top of the server costs, but you can use that type of setup with Mirror anyways, or switch to Photon Server setup. But there are a lot of pathways here that I think are very indie-friendly.

I have not seen this before, but I added this as a bug report to Trello and will definitely look into it.

Hi there. If you update XR Management and any XR plugins (like Oculus XR plugins) this error will go away. This is an issue with Unity 2021 where you have to use a newer version of those plugins, and VRIF comes with an earlier version in order to maintain compatibility with 2019. Looking into what would be the best way to fix that, but updating those two plugins in the package manager should get you going.
    Hmm. I'll look into that. If you enable XR Interaction Toolkit integration (see my other response below), you can use that system for UI interaction. Though I know XR Interaction Toolkit also had some issues with sliders at one point, but I'd say give it a whirl as it's easy enough to switch back.

Hi there. Right now you can enable the XR Interaction Toolkit integration under VRIF - Integrations, and that will turn the two UIPointer objects on the player into XRRaycasters. That means you can use two at once to control the UI, and all UI interaction will go through XRIT instead of VRIF's system. It also means you can pick up stuff that are XRInteractables (great for existing projects!). If you grab something from XRIT the VRIF grabber's will be disabled so you can't hold two objects at once. And lastly, since it's mostly just a Raycast, which we want to do for UI interaction anyways, it's quite performant. My current suggestion would be to stick with just one framework for most interactions, and one for UI, but this does allow you to more easily mix and match between the two.

It's currently a pretty simple, but effective integration. I'm looking to update the wiki with some more info soon. I've got some other exciting integrations that are done and hoping to have some more info on that soon as well!

great04 likes this.
  36. pantang

pantang

Still not convinced, for me its the longevity, if you have hardware already its easy to leave a box running at very little cost where as with pun there is the constant cost, mind atleast you get some free players. Hehe seriosuly all you had to do was point to the mention of Mirror above, happy days :) I mean Mirror is Telepathy :p

37. Ice_Time

Ice_Time

hello,
    I used Unity2020.3.32, the handle cannot move after construction, but the steering wheel on the handle can change the Angle of view, may I ask if you have encountered this problem?

38. Pixelith

Pixelith

Do you have a tutorial up for full body characters? I've seen you explain it here a couple of times but a video tutorial or something more in depth would be really nice.

39. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello,

I just bought your Framework. I followed the installation YouTube video, but as soon as i install your framework the XR plugin manager disappears from the player settings, yet it shows up in the tutorial video.

Can you please post the exact steps i should do to install your framework from a new Unity Project. I tried it like 4 or 5 times already but no matter what i do the XR plugin manager dissappears from the player settings, also you didnt install Oculus integration or XR plugin manager in your tutorial video, yet i can see them listed in the tutorial. After installing your framework, i tried installing the XR plugin manager but it still dont show up in the player settings. So it dont match whats shown in the YouTube Video. Im using Unity 2021.3.5f1

I started a blank Unity project using 3D and URP.

I need it to work on both Oculus and SteamVR

Thanks

40. jons190

jons190

Ho all. Can't seem to get on the discord for some reason.

Working with emerald AI 3.0 and have it working fairly well. The ai can see the player and take swings (melee) and seems to be hitting the VRIF controller with various -5 hit point counters...
    But how does the VRIF controller actually take damage and die? Can't seem to find this example anywhere?

Cheers mates!

41. prendiquesto

prendiquesto

Hi everybody,

I am trying to use only smooth locomotion in my project. But I cannot find how to disable teleportation on VRIF. Any of you have an idea on how to do this?

42. Niraj_Cognizant

Niraj_Cognizant

Go to PlayController under XR Rig and disable the Smooth Locomotion component form Inspector.

43. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

To ellaborate a bit on Niraj' comment, you can also disable the "LocomotionManager" component. That component allows you to switch between teleport and smooth locomotion, but if you don't need that feature, you can just remove it.

44. Immersive-Matthew

Immersive-Matthew

Whenever I import VRIF into my project, the next time I start Unity, everything is pink. I tried all the usual things like changing materials to URP (whcih they already are) and even updating/reinstalling URP all to no avail. I am stumped as to why this is happening as there is nothing but out of the box URP shaders being used here. I searched this forum for others with the same issue and it looks like I am the first to post which is odd as again, there is nothing particularily technically unique about my title. Any ideas what is causing this? Right now I am doing a project reimport which will take a few hours with the hope it solves it. Thanks for the replies

Unity 2020.3.26f1
    URP 10.x

45. Immersive-Matthew

Immersive-Matthew

Reimport of project did not solve it.

46. alexdocq38480

alexdocq38480

Hello i have a problem with the shotgun, when i want to insert a shell my character's hand (VRIK) freezes, I don't understand where the problem comes from, everything works good with the basic XR RIG, the problem only persists when i put a shell in a shotgun with XR Rig IK, please help me. :(

(sorry for my english i try my best )

a video with the problem :

47. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

This is a very late reply - but for posterity you likely needed to reassign the pipeline under Project Settings -> Graphics. It can get unset when installing project settings from an asset. There is a screenshot here you can checkout for reference : https://wiki.beardedninjagames.com/en/Overview/URP-HDRP

I'm not sure what could be causing that.. are you getting any errors in the console after you insert a shell? Seems like maybe an error occurred like a null reference (maybe something isn't assigned in the inspector?), and then HandModel transform, which is what IK follors, never got released from the clip area. Message me on Discord and we can check it out together if that's not the case.

48. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Version 1.82 is now available! Here are the updates :

- Added Initial WebXR Support. Consider this a beta.. There are currently some issues with hand rotation when grabbing items, but I'm really happy with performance so far, and it's pretty cool to be able to use vrif components in a web browser. You can check out a demo here : https://meet.beardedninjagames.com/xr/
    - Added Arm Swinging Locomotion and an example demo scene to try it out
    - Added VR Builder Integration : check out their free plugin here : https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...er-open-source-toolkit-for-vr-creation-201913)
    - Added optional asmdef files. Extracting / including these in your project can help decrease build times.
    - Scaling Fix for SnapZones (now using lossyScale)
    - Fix for XR Interaction Toolkit line selection

Cheers!
    -BNG

49. wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

I am having an issue on 2021.3, URP and using OpenXR.Getting very glitchy movement (camera snaps to other locations, ESPECIALLY when climbing) and I am not quite sure how to fix it. Everything else works perfectly fine though, but can't do much with the camera jitter in VR

trojant likes this.
  50. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

The quickest way to fix this is to swap out the "Tracked Device" scripts that are currently on the controllers / center eye with a "Tracked Pose Driver" script. It seems like something in the latest OpenXR plugin isn't registering the devices as active, which affects the Tracked Device script, but not the Pose Drivers. I'm still looking into why this is exactly, but I think the simplest solution for now is to just swap them out.

I will likely update the xr rigs to use the Pose Driver as that seems to more stable now. I originally created the Tracked Device script to help support custom devices like the Pico Neo. The Unity Pose Driver also used to be part of the Legacy Input packages, which was confusing and cumbersome.. but that all seems to be largely sorted out now. Anyways, sorry for the trouble and let me know if you're still running into issues after swapping those out.