Search Unity

[RELEASED] VR Interaction Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BeardedNinjaGames, Jan 28, 2020.

1. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

I briefly saw that when I was testing out the demo on my Quest. I'll have to look into those object closer to see how the bezier line works. I figured it was the first pass since this feature was just added. I think as of right now the only thing I could think of would be increasing the distance of the grab and adding some type of shader effect to help the player indicator what object will be grabbed.

Another question that came to mind was about remote control car. Have you tried setting up a character like Robot Kyle that you can control with the joystick on the controller itself. A good example would be Moss (the VR game).

2. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

to BNG, re vehicle question, Thanks for quick response, yes I get the whole sickness inducing thing, and have tried extensively with aircraft and car tests, may just be a bug in my personal system(mind) trying to get some ultra low rent GTA function, anyway its all a learning curve,

3. dmenefee

dmenefee

Nice! I'll try this out.

Edit: I suspect the issue is that the configurable joint is configured for limited angular movement, and this conflicts with the rotations imposed by the spacecraft. So what I'd like to do is figure out how to ensure that the joint calculates its angular limits based on local space coordinates. I had thought that the option to use world space coordinates should be left unchecked in its configuration, but that doesn't solve the problem.

hm. I'm not sure how to make this work. The spacecraft is pushed by physics forces; if I create a Fixed Joint on the joystick root object and attach it to the spacecraft rigid body, the spacecraft no longer moves. It appears to be fixed in place. This is true whether the joystick is inside or outside the game object hierarchy for the spacecraft. If I instead attach the hinge directly to the spacecraft, the hinge swings around wildly when I grab it, similarly to what I get when I don't use the fixed joint but even worse. I'm extremely reluctant to attach the thrusters to the joystick directly and drive its rigidbody, as it's off axis and I want to apply force to specific points for pitch/yaw/roll control. You mentioned not having to physically activate the joystick. I've already set the "kinematic while inactive" option on the joystickcontrol script; what else should or can I do to make it work?

thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. Proto-G

Proto-G

*Update: Never mind, just saw Emerald AI integration video on your Youtube channel. Excellent!
    I'm looking to purchase this for a VR type platformer. Do you have any recommendation for an enemy asset template that would simply work with this template? I'm novice with coding, so looking more for simplicity. This looks awesome BTW, look forward to messing around with it!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  5. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

I have tried out bare bones rig with Vehicle, and its a lot nicer thanks !!

6. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi everyone :) Update 1.71 is ready for testing and should be ready for submission early next week. Feel free to hop by Discord if you'd like it earlier or want to help test.

This update primarily fixes a couple of small issues found in 1.7, but adds a couple of fun and useful features as well.
    Here's the changelog :

1. Added a new Rigidbody / Physics-Driven player example and example scene (found in /Scenes/Rigidbody Player). By switching the SmoothLocomotion component to a "Rigidbody" movement type, you can assign a rigidbody / capsule to the player and move around using physics forces. This opens up a lot of gameplay possibilities. For example, you can connect physics joints to the player to create a physics-based grappling gun, or rope-swinging game. I'll be expanding on this in future updates, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with this setup.

The example scene includes a couple of physics-related props, demonstrating how moving platforms, slopes, and collisions work. There are also some hand jets that use rigidbody.AddForce() to propel the player around, allowing for velocity and other interesting mechanics.

2. Added a vehicle demo scene. This demonstrates how to rig a vehicle to be used with a steering wheel, joystick, etc. This is definitely a more intense vr interaction, so I added a disclaimer there as well!

3. Added a dedicated Vehicle Joystick prefab - this joystick does not use any physics components and can be used on a moving object without having to worry about it jittering due to physics forces. Perfect for flight sims or space games, but you can customize it for many other uses as well.
    4. Added ability to teleport when using VREmulator (default is "F" key - can change in Unity Input Action).
    5. Fixed a couple of odd issues where the teleport line would miss a collision. Increased curve on teleport line.
    6. Fixed shakiness of teleport line on Pico devices
    7. Added hand colliders back to black gloves model
    8. Fixed Issue with missing references in hand tracking scene
    9. Updated Photon PUN integration to include new interface member
    10. Updated UI Pointer positions to match new hand positions
    Thanks again to the wonderful Discord community and kind folks who have emailed me with bug reports, code suggestions, feature suggestions, left a review, or just left some friendly words of encouragement. I'm listening and I appreciate it! :)

-BNG

7. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

VIDEO display in VRIF,, great news re new vehicle update to come !, another question , is there a way to display video, either in a small object like the mirror device and or as a spherical (FMV) 360 video (skybox?), I have not gotten anything to render visually using a video player, may need special shader or more info on "render texture" though sound does play , the default shader that a new video player instance does not display any of the video,,

8. dmenefee

dmenefee

Fantastic news! Thank you so much, especially for the new joystick :). VRIF just keeps getting better and better.

harleydk and BeardedNinjaGames like this.
  9. marketxu

marketxu

Im not sure of what have to dowith magazzines, ( clip idea) no coder here.

10. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

ok sorted video stuff,

pushingpandas likes this.
  11. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

How? I need to know

12. Proto-G

Proto-G

Emailed two days ago and no response yet...

I've been going crazy trying to figure out this jitter issue with every version of Unity. I'm developing for Oculus Quest and the only version that I'm not getting jitter in is 2018. Unfortunately this asset won't work with 2018, so can you please give me a refund? I've tried so many different versions through 2019, 2020 & 2021 in hopes that I can use this framework, but it's just not happening unfortunately.

13. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

I had a 2018.4 version for a while, but it's just too time consuming to maintain since the Unity prefab system is different. But fwiw the asset store does say compatibility is 2019.4+. I recommend an LTS version of 2019 or 2020.

Regarding the jitter - if you're using Link make sure you have Maximize on Play enabled and max framerate, otherwise a low framerate will cause distortions due to. There is a relevant thread here worth noting. Anyways, if you're still not able to get rid of the jitter on a Quest build, shoot me an email and I'll see what's up. I'm a bit behind on some emails due to the ongoing sale.

14. Proto-G

Proto-G

I have read that thread and have tried every recommended version. I'm not a coder, another reason I purchased your asset, so I'm not sure how to do a bunch of coding changes. It's a known Unity bug that they won't seem to fix, and that I didn't know of. I literally can't use any version beyond 2018 unless I get a new PC, which I can't afford right now lol.

There are numerous threads which say that certain versions are fixed, but I tried and they are not for me. I'm not even on a system that I can use link with, so I have to currently build and test directly on the Quest. Jitter comes from the Unity bug for sure. I know the Store says this version required, and I thought it would work, but I only recently learned about this bug and now realize there's no way I can't use your asset unless I want to induce headache and nausea lol.

I've purchased many assets over time, even several within the last week. They all work for me, but this one doesn't. I don't want to waste anymore time trying to get it to work really. Would appreciate a refund. If not, then enjoy my $30 donation :)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/jittery-motion-on-oculus-quest.683704/page-2
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...9714857-2034365609.1619408132&page=2#comments

15. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

No worries - I understand. Thank you for trying out a few things first :) I'll submit a ticket tomorrow and cc you on it

16. Proto-G

Proto-G

That would be great. Thank you.

17. TrisectDev

TrisectDev

I'm totally new to this framework and I have setup a scene with a reset button (taken from a sample scene).
    I can click the button, but how do I get some code to execute when I click the reset button?

18. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. I know you got this sorted on Discord, but just wanted to answer here in case others have the same issue, and so that people don't think I'm just straight up ignoring your question :)

The buttons (and most interactables, like the levers, steering wheel, door, etc) will have some sort of a Unity Event that you can use to respond to events. For the button, there are "OnButtonDown" and "OnButtonUp" events. You can create a script that has a public function that you'd like to call, place it on an object in the scene, and then drag that into the event. So for the button in the demo that shoots boxes out, the DemoScript has been assigned, and it's "ShootLauncher" function is called. If you're using an object that sends dynamic info with it (like a lever that sends it's current value, or steering wheel that sends it's rotation), make sure you select the "dynamic" version at the top :

I also updated the docs on the buttons and levers if you'd like a bit more info : https://wiki.beardedninjagames.com/e/en/General/ButtonsSwitchesLevers

harleydk likes this.
  19. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Is it possible to set the rotation of the grabbable knobs from 0-360 to 0-1?

20. dmenefee

dmenefee

Edit: nevermind! One of my components had a bug that reduced the mass of the rigidbody component on the spacecraft to zero, causing it to accelerate to millions of meters instantly: crash. So VRIF (as I strongly suspected) is working just fine. Just want to say that this is a kick-butt asset, btw.

-----

Hi. I'm using VRIF with the Space Graphics Toolkit in a mobile space capsule, and have started to see this error when I attempt to fly the spacecraft, after a few seconds:

Screen position out of view frustum

It appears to be coming from UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent and I’ve tried disabling any UI related components. For awhile this was coming out of the VRUISystem component in the EventSystem prefab, but after I removed that I still saw it but with no trace info to give me any clue as to where it’s coming from. Has anyone seen this?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  21. BuzzBean

BuzzBean

VR Interaction Framework And Dialogue System for Unity Neither is available.

When you attempt to use both assets together, the dialog system generates an input error using the new input.
    The results are the same even with Steamvr or oculus.

I want to share these two assets. Please help me resolve this error.

SteamVR It's the same thing that crashes. Is there any way to use this to use two assets?
    Or Oculus is there any way to replace the new input of the Dialogue system asset with the existing input?

Dialogue Asset answer
    fsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf.PNG
    wadasdasdasd.PNG
    OCULUS error
    dh1.PNG dh2.PNG
    Steamvr error
    dhfbbbbb.PNG View attachment 851669

22. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi there. VRIF does indeed support the new Input System, so be sure to have that installed. You can set your Input settings to "Both" if you also need to support the old input system alongside the new (can set this under "Active Input Handling" in Project Settings).

I was actually going to mentioned that I've seen something like this when doing a space game and you get super far away :p Glad you got it sorted and updated the post! Hopefully will help any other devs out there working on space games :)

BuzzBean and dmenefee like this.
  23. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

Hi, there seem to be a lot of the newer features missing in this latest update, like the (experimental) resizing and duplicating table, the wee and big vehicles. 2 handed weapons, the pistol (pink) that launches objects etc, I think I looked for these items in models and prefabs as well as for custom scenes, but to no avail, any suggestion please, cheers Colin

24. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

also can anyone suggest a good solution for a flying vehicle setup that works with VRIF, ? I am not at all a coder, have Silantro rotary wing asset and sneaked it into a project with VRIF already in but it does not display at all correctly, and systems perhaps particle but also perhaps skybox just do not work and the whole heli seems to be spinning off crazilly, perhaps this is to do with input setting or something else that VRIF already "has dibs on", obviously I need to ask the dev of SIlantro (who has been helpful in doing custom vr setups in the past, ), but as always any wee tips and trick are appreciated, also love VRIF, just would love a wee bit more "vehicularity" I know its not classically a VR tenet but me and praps soime other people enjoy it in addition to cool human player based stuff,

25. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. Those should all be there - specifically in the XR Demo. There is also an additional vehicle scene, as well as a Rigidbody Player scene to test out the new physics player.

Is it possible you're on an older version? 1.71 should be the latest.

Id also like to mention that I have reports of two bugs that I'm working to get a quick fix out for. Namely with adjusting the player collider height while climbing, and an issue with the UI Pointer in URP projects.

26. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

Hi, yeah I expected to find the XR demo and all the new good stuff (remember you helped me with the car demo a few weeks back), so I had imported the newest version 1 7 1 into an older project which was choc full of environmental assets I like (about 40 gig worth of other assets) so I didnt want to do yet another clean install and load them up one by one, anyway I will try a clean install sure the good stuff will show up ! once again thanks and an amazing asset !

27. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

so I see all the new scenes etc in a fresh install, posibly it did not actually import into my old project despite thinking I acknowledged everything at every stage! look forward to trying this out !

28. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

PS LOVE the vehicle example !!

BeardedNinjaGames likes this.
  29. martire

martire

I second that. It would be great to have some kind of integration with Adventure Creator, since I'm not a programmer :)

30. SFX_One

SFX_One

Hello, I have a small question for the dev, is it normal that on the XR Demo scene, grabbing some items (mostly the cubes but also some of my assets I setup following guides) makes the hand and item grabbed shaking/jittering like crazy ? When I release it, there is no issue.
    I'm on Unity 2020.3.9f1, and using Quest 2 with Link cable. I tried to change the framerate in Oculus options but it didn't change anything and my GPU is barely used during the demo scene. I don't think it's a performance issue since flying around and shooting is fine. It's mostly a grab problem.
    Is there any way to avoid this issue ?
    Also, is there a way for the VR hand to match/follow the shape of the prefab ? or at least the shape of the collider ? (without having to animate by hand).
    I made a video, it's not really good quality but you can see the issue :

Thanks for your answer !

31. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi there! First off, thanks for the video - that clearly shows what's going on! And I can say.. that is most definitely not normal or desired behavior! It also looks like you're missing a bunch of textures and colors on the objects (also not normal :p ) I've actually never seen that type of behavior before (or the white textures, which is odd), so I'm not sure exactly what's going on there. What did you change the physics time step to? Did you change anything else? Oh, and is this a URP project? With the amount of oddities going on in that video I'd honestly recommend starting over with a fresh installation on a Unity LTS version. You shouldn't really have to change any settings, especially for the Quest 2.

As for your second question, there is an "Auto Pose" option you can use when creating poses. You can also set a Grabbable( or individually on each each Grab Point) to use "Auto Pose Once" or "Auto Pose Continuous". Auto Pose once will just do an auto pose right when your object is grabbed, while continuous will continue to auto pose. My personal recommendation is to use auto pose to make creating custom hand poses easier, but to ultimately tweak that pose to make it perfect for each grab point. You can also use Quest Hand Tracking to quickly make poses. I tried to make the components as straightforward as possible - I think once you create a couple of poses you'll be whipping up new ones in no time.

I'm working on some tutorial videos for the hand posing stuff, but in the meantime you can check out these two video to get an idea of what the posing looks like. There's also some additional info and screenshots about the hand poser on the wiki :

https://wiki.beardedninjagames.com/en/General/HandPoses

beard-or-die and EN_Games like this.
  32. SFX_One

SFX_One

Thanks for your reply !
    Actually the white texture problem was just me changing material of the door in the XR demo,and I noticed the material was used on many objects in your scene, not just the door :)

By the way, I found very complex the way to make an existing door model into a VR interactive one as you did in the XR Demo. I tried to understand how you achieved it, but there is a lot of scripts and childs into your prefab, same difficulty with the drawers. I spent my whole day on it but I never got it in a working state..
    Would it be possible to have a step by step video tutorial for beginners? or even better, kind of "magic tool script" that could change an existing model into a VR one using importers like : Door knob, Door frame, etc.

For the strange physics behavior, I was using stock settings, on a new project, the only thing I added was Bakery Lightmapper but all the settings were normal. I will try to create a new totally empty scene and import it again, hopefully I don't have any issues.

Thanks for your help, love your asset !

33. Sniperhard

Sniperhard

Hello I have used VRIF in Unity 2019 and everything has been excellent, but now that I opened it in Unity 2020.3.3 f1 when giving play it works within Unity, but I have not been able to pass it to Quest 2, I understand that I must use OPEN XR, Could you support me, what am I doing wrong? I have followed your videos but I do not identify the fault,
    Thanks really i'm desperate q1.jpg q2.jpg q3.jpg q4.jpg q5.jpg

34. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi there. OpenXR actually doesn't support the Quest 2 / Android publishing, yet. (Some info on that / OpenXR here.). So you'll want to use the Oculus XR plugin instead. Then you can push directly to the device.

35. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Here is a new video that goes over the hand poser tool, including using the auto poser and hand tracking features. Hope this helps! :)

harleydk, EN_Games and Sniperhard like this.
  36. Sniperhard

Sniperhard

disable Open xr It worked, thanks !!
    I have one last doubt, when I press play on the game screen in some projects it darkens and I cannot use it with the Vr Emulator, why is it?
    cap1.jpg cap2.jpg

37. emersongamer

emersongamer

Same problem here!

38. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. The screen fading is due to the ScreenFader object (type "ScreenFader" in the Hierarcy window and you should see it), which is connected to the Camera. If you disable that then the camera should no longer be fading. However, I'm not sure what's necessarily causing that to be enabled for you. It should typically only be enabled when teleporting, or colliding with an object. Maybe your camera is colliding with the player? Are your layers setup with a Player and Grabbable Layer? Any errors in the console? And as for the VREmulator, your actions looks good to me, so I can only assume that the fading and emulator issue are related. Like something may be erroring out. Is the new Input system enabled in project settings? Active Input Handling should be set to either "New" or "Both", but not "Old".

39. Sniperhard

Sniperhard

I did it, I fixed the black screen, only the latest packages of Oculus XRPlug In and XR Plugin Management should be updated, thanks !!

BeardedNinjaGames likes this.
  40. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Made a new video going over weapon customization. Posting here for posterity :) Also updated the wiki..

Also have a new update coming out pretty soon. Excited to share more on that soon!

AlanPT likes this.
  41. davedev

davedev

I'd like to use Smooth Locomotion to move player forward and backwards with the Oculus controller right thumbstick forward and back presses. I'd then like the right thumbstick to rotate the player when I press it right or left, essentially steering the player. I get close with the settings, but the Move action moves the player left and right and the Player Rotation then rotates the character also. How can I eliminate the left-right move when pressing the right thumbstick left and right and make it only rotate the player?

move and rotate.png

42. uaena

uaena

After import the latest Oculus Integration Plugin (Version 29.0), and deploy to Oculus Quest 2, the app just closes immediately without any error logged. Is there any extra steps need to perform before build the apk?

43. Tomza

Tomza

Hi all,

We have bought the VR Interaction Framework and I've got two problems:

1/ Even if you place the player in the middle of the scene (0,0,0), there is an offset for all three axes while at runtime. It seems the PlayerController object is a problem, because as soon as I write 0 in its position, all is ok. It happens sometimes.

2/ Can I spawn the prefab of the Player in the scene? Because when I spawn the prefab, the environment around me is dark. It is visible both in Oculus and in the Unity Editor (Oculus Link). I use URP. When I place the Player in the scene, all is OK. The problem happens while spawning the prefab.

44. vice39

vice39

Is there any way to detect when controller tracking reverts to 3DOF because it's out of view?
    I would like to disable the hands colliders when this happens, to prevent false triggering of buttons and stuff.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  45. quix22

quix22

This is a great asset and I'm enjoying experimenting with all the features. Using this with an HTC Vive, and wondering if there's a way to just use that smooth locomotion where you glide over the surfaces and disable the teleportation? I thought it would be as easy as disabling the Player Teleport (Script) on the PlayerController object, but that didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?

46. quix22

quix22

Figured it out. On the PlayerController, there's also a Locomotion Manager (Script) where you can set the Default Locomotion to Smooth Locomotion, and then set the Locomotion Toggle Input to None. Well done for making it so simple.

47. secondToOne

secondToOne

I had a lot of issues with the jittery movement stuff, the problem was because I screwed up my physics layers and I had things on the players hand colliding with the object being held at all time. So I'd be holding the 2 handed shotgun and trying to aim with it was sending it into a controlled spiral around the grab point, and it was because my player body had collider hitting the gun and it was getting all crazy. Just sharing -- watch your colliders if you stray off the clean import path :)

48. atamanth14

atamanth14

Hi
    I'm use integrations with PUN , I'm run demo scene and add Bow prefab (added script NetworkGrapped) but not support grabphysics knematic type in network grap script , how to fix it?

49. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. Hmm. Kinematic objects should work. Make sure you don't have two Grabbable scripts on your object (i.e. both Grabbable and NetworkedGrabbable). NetworkedGrabbable extends / overrides methods, so you'll want to make sure only that script is present.

You should pretty much be able to load up the xr demo scene and boot that from the Quest 2. Make sure you have the XRDemo scene listed first in the Build Settings, and also check your XR Management settings to make sure you've got Oculus XR Plugin installed, and that "Initialize XR on Startup" is checked.

Hmm. Those are odd issues. Make sure you are on the latest vrif. What device are you using for testing? Are you using Oculus Integration, Steam VR, or OpenXR? For the second issue, the "ScreenFader" object may be fading the screen. It may be set to fade out on scene load, but since you loaded your player in after the scene loaded it may not get a chance to fade out. Try removing that component (on the CenterEyeAnchor) and see if you have the same issue.

That's an interesting thought. One idea is to try checking Tracking Origin Mode and see if that changes. I haven't seen anything else in the XRInput docs so far. Let us know here if you find something that works for you in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Ah yes, that will do it :p Glad you got it sorted. Another tip is to make sure you're running at the highest framerate, by making sure the game window is "Maximize on Play" and / or nothing is selected in the editor (inspecting components with a lot of properties can slow down the editor more than you would think).

50. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

You should be able to achieve this with Composite Bindings : https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...manual/ActionBindings.html#composite-bindings

So on the SmoothLocomotioon / PlayerTeleport scripts you'd get rid of the "Input Axis" field since we only want to check for Unity Input Actions. Then setup your move / turn UnityActions as composites, where you grab the sticks left / right, up / down values to make your own control scheme.

Another option would be to override the SmoothLocomotion's "Vector2 GetMovementAxis()" method to return your desired input. And finally, another option could be to scrub the input yourself by disregarding one of the axis, and then calling your .Move function (or rotate or whichever) manually in Update() / FixedUpdate(). Hope that helps / makes sense :)

unityunity