Search Unity

[RELEASED] VR Interaction Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BeardedNinjaGames, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Heyo! On the InputBridge, there is A and B which correspond to the two buttons on the right controller, and X and Y which correspond to the two buttons on the left (ex : InputBridge.Instance.AButtonDown). If you're using GrabbableEvents, then those are called Button1 / Button2, since those will always be called on whichever controller is grabbing the object.

2. jangomoose

jangomoose

Thanks for the reply, I am using the DPad on each controller as 4 buttons each, so each calls button A, north , Button B East etc which is where I got stuck, maybe that can't be done. Must admit I can't seem to get the wands to register B Button Down only B Button, Maybe that's my issue. I'll continue and have a play around

3. masai2k

masai2k

Hi, is there a solution to set the VR objects aligned to guardian configuration? I want to start my navigation at the center of the guardian, no matter the headset orientation. The rectangular room in VR had to be aligned with the rectangular guardian configuration. I tried with XRInputSubsystems.TryGetBoundaryPoints with no success.

Massimo

4. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

Hi all, firstly great if not leading asset for Oculus Quest loving the range of interactions!, though am having problem with character controller staying on moving platforms, sometimes "I" seem to stay on as they move smoothly, and sometimes seem jerkily to be moved/pushed off, have tried both platforms in the demo XR scene, the large high up one I have as a crappy makeshift hot air balloon and will hand jet up to it!, I also wonder (Bearded Ninja Games) if you will be doing any vehicle implementations for future roadmap, as a non programmer I love assets like this that I can retrofit to my needs, so kean to see (and purchase) future updates, another great app that doesnt yet have VR is Games Kit Controller than has a wealth of functions aside from the character control itself, anyway Kudos !!

5. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi CrypticColza1971, just wanted to let you know that moving platforms have been updated in 1.52. That should be out soon on the asset store, or you can hop over to the Discord if you'd like to get your hands on it sooner :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

The API link on the documentation page takes me to the API v. 1.0.
    This does not seem to fit the version 1.52, which I have recently downloaded with the asset.
    Can I find the API for v. 1.52 somewhere?

7. augustdds

augustdds

Hey Guys

Loving the asset. Dumb question. If I wanted to distance grab a pen with the pen cap as the child and take off the pen cap and have it be unparented and freely moving, then if I want to put the pen cap back on and have it snap back to its position as a child. How would I do that? Its actually a dental syringe but you get the idea.

8. augustdds

augustdds

Ok figured it out by using the settings from the back pack. How do I take off the "scale big" effect and keep it the same size when I take it off the pen or syringe?

9. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@BeardedNinjaGames Hey, saw your YouTube about VRIK. Did you ever get two handed weapons to work with it?

10. Hutt0n

Hutt0n

Hi !
    Before I´ll purchase this excellent template, I tried the demo (couple of weeks go) and found out that there´s no smooth turning option available (at least in the demo), only incremental degrees based turning ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    tomekkie2 likes this.
  11. ThePaceMaker

ThePaceMaker

There is defo smooth turning in full product with option to change the rotation speed

12. tacman1123

tacman1123

Are there any issues using this package with Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit and Unity's new Input System (rather than the old Input Manager)?

13. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

I think there may be some issues there. Some of the components use the old input style to add keyboard support. For example, you can press W,A,S,D to move, and Q, E to snap turn when using the VR Emulator component. I don't think it would be very difficult to move these to the new input system if it makes sense too.

14. tacman1123

tacman1123

I think you definitely want to support the new Input System, you can support both fairly easily, defaulting to the Input System if it's installed/enabled. The Input System is much cleaner to use once you get used to it.

You may want to add something in the description that explains what VR Interaction Framework is and how it differs from or enhances the native XR Interaction Toolkit package, which is pretty close to release.

15. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

How do I teleport player to Vector3?

The documentation says:
    "You can manually teleport a player from code by referencing the PlayerTeleport component in your script, and then calling either TeleportPlayerToTransform(Transform) or TeleportPlayerToTransform(Vector3)" :

But putting here Vector3 throws an error.

16. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Thanks - I do think the new input system is the way to go : perhaps not only for the emulator, but also for actions such as snap turning, smooth locomotion, grab, etc. I'm currently waiting to see what the OpenXR implementation is going to look like, and if Unity's new input system has any relation to that or not. Unity mentioned having something to show by the end of the year, so hopefully we'll know more about that soon. I'll still update to the new input system, but in the meantime you can set the input provider to "both" if you need to support the new input for XR Interaction Toolkit or anything else :

Ah, the method is a little different for a Vector3 :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. TeleportPlayer(Vector3 destination, Quaternion rotation)
    I'll get that updated in the wiki. Thanks!

17. tacman1123

tacman1123

There are two issues at play here, though, the new Input System and the new XR system.

The new Input System may make sense for the simulator, but the bigger question in my mind is how this package works with the XR Interaction Toolkit. It sounds like your tools use OpenVR. And I'm pretty confused about how all this fits together!

I do like Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit that is in preview right now, and I plan to develop using that, being optimistic that it will be released soon. What I'm wondering is if this toolkit (the VR Interaction Framework) is compatible with Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit, and if so, what else it offers.

Because the names are so similar (VR Interaction Framework and XR Interaction Toolkit), I imagine I won't be the only one who needs clarification. Thanks!

18. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Ah, I see. I was hinting at a system for actions / events to be used in the framework overall, which is not what you were getting at. To clarify - VRIF is it's own interaction framework, independent from XR Interaction Toolkit. You could probably mix and match a bit if you wanted to (for example, use physics interactions from VRIF and UI interactions from XR Interaction Toolkit), but overall you'd probably want to choose one over the other.

VRIF is generally pretty agnostic when it comes to input. You can get it to work with OpenVR, SteamVR, Oculus SDK, Pico Neo, etc. As long as you can get input into the framework, then you'll be able to use interactions. So when you say my tools "use OpenVR", that is correct in the sense that VRIF supports OpenVR, but is certainly not limited to OpenVR. OpenVR is just an API that provides access to hardware input.

Hopefully I'm not muddying the waters more. The TL;DR version is that while VRIF may integrate with XR Interaction Toolkit in the future, right now you would probably be best served choosing one or the other :)

19. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Is it possible to make an input text field using this asset?

20. Dawn0303

Dawn0303

I've followed the steamvr integration video but for some reason, it doesn't even launch steamvr or use my headset, I'm using the index, anyone know a good way to sort this?

21. Alzabled

Alzabled

Hi there.

Question about grab points. I'm trying to make a tool snap to the user's hand with a non-trivial rotation applied - this naturally needs to be "mirrored" depending on the hand that is grabbing the tool. Therefore I used two grab points which are only enabled for each respective hand, and set the rotation of each grab point so that the preview hand aligns as desired. However, the rotation of the grab point does not seem to be respected when grabbing, and I can't figure out why. Perhaps I am misusing this feature, or there is a better way to achieve what I want. Would greatly appreciate some assistance on this!

tl;dr Snapping to grab points works well in terms of the *position* of a grab point, however, *rotation* seems to be buggy/unpredictable.

22. kenlem1

kenlem1

Hi,

I'm interested in changing the controller so it floats around like in a weightless environment. I want to be able to grab a wall and push myself off. Would be nice to use the physical hands and push off walls as well. Any suggestions as to where I would start to look?

I see how the PlayerGravity adds upwards gravity to the rigidbody of the player so I understand that I can do that. I'm interested in how to grab something so that it moves the player around while grab (sort of like a climbable) then gives the player velocity upon release. Is there a way to get the velocity of the controller on release?

23. seldemirov

seldemirov

Add a portals prefab, please. In virtual reality, standard solutions do not work due to the nature of the camera.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  24. J0linar

J0linar

Hey @BeardedNinjaGames
    Just read about your melee plans.
    Any progress on that or idea how to start this?

And thanks for creating VRIF!

BeardedNinjaGames likes this.
  25. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Does this Asset play nice with VRTKv3? I would love to have VRTKv3 run the locomotion of the player.

26. trojant

trojant

Hi, VR Interaction Framework is can used “HTC vive focus plus” VR device? and it's android system. OpenVR desktop looks like it doesn't support Android system.

VPrygin likes this.
  27. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi everyone! Wow, sorry for missing some of the above posts! For some reason I'm not getting e-mail notifications and just stopped manually checking. Whoops! Will try to better keep an eye on the forum. I think most of you have already sent an e-mail or hit up the Discord :)

Anyways, I'm happy to announce that version 1.53 will be submitted to the asset store on Monday (want to give the Unity folks at least a small weekend break :p). Here are the big items :
    1. Updated Photon PUN2 integration to now include networked grabbables. Can now pick up and throw objects, and object permission should be properly synched between clients (may need some testing :)
    2. Updated FinalIK integration to include a script that allows you to animate a FinalIK character's fingers using a reference object (such as the included hand rig), as well as an experimental version of two-handed support :

3. Added new SteeringWheel component and prefab that supports 2-Handed grab and doesn't use physics. Perfect for cars / moving objects! Can also be used for valves and other objects. Thanks @nixtwiz for spearheading this and sharing on Discord :)
    4. Fixed issue with throwing objects - No longer using a coroutine, and lowered the release amount on grip to 0.5 (from 0.1).
    5. Added CurvedUI Integration
    6. Added a "Barebones" XR rig that has no player / movement components - only what is required to grab / interact with objects. May be helpful for games that are always in a vehicle, don't need to move, or if you just want to see a minimal setup for VRIF.
    7. Fixed grab point rotation issue where certain rotations wouldn't rotate the hand properly (@Alzabled, you had an issue with this I believe). Thanks to ewillan on Discord for sharing this fix!
    8. Moved player climbing out of BNGPlayerController into it's own PlayerClimbing component
    9. Removed locomotion loading from BNGPlayerController
    10. Added missing up / down events to SteamVR inputs
    11. Added a new GrabPointTrigger component
    More to come! Will post again soon regarding future updates of VRIF!

Till then!

-BNG

trojant and blacksun666 like this.
  28. maxaud

maxaud

I'm looking for an interaction similar to moving the pieces in this game, didn't see it in the demo. Is this something that can be added?

29. scan2vrserver

scan2vrserver

30. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hey there. That's not quite built-in. You could accomplish a similar interaction by setting the Grabbable to a Kinematic and then using a "Precise" grab type. However, it looks like there may be some type of smoothing going on with the position / rotation that would be custom. Your best bet would probably be to use a Raycast and write a script to handle how you want to position / rotate the object. I do have some plans for a raycast system event system - I'll see about adding a simple interaction similar to this in the future.

I believe the OpenXR plugin currently only supports Windows Mixed Reality and HoloLens devices. I would stick with the Oculus XR stuff now (if you're on Oculus, that is). I am currently working on OpenXR support for VRIF. The biggest difference will be that VRIF will be switching a couple of grabbable events away from raw input (OnGripDown, OnTriggerDown, ThumbstickAxis, etc) to the new Unity Input / Action system. So that would look more like Grab, Fire, Move, etc. I'll have some more info on that soon :)

31. andylewisart

andylewisart

Hello,
    I'm developing some laser guns and have found I need to be sure that 'Always Fire Projectile' is enabled in the Raycast Weapon script if I want to see the laser projectile. However, when enabling this behavior while not in slow motion, it seems to allow crazy fast firing rates (regardless of what the firing rate is actually set to) if I have the reload method set to 'Infinite Ammo'. Hopefully I'm just having an oversight but currently it seems like it could be a bug. Let me know if there's anything I can do about it - thanks for the great framework!

32. Starmind01

Starmind01

I am making a weapon, but instead of reloading once the mag is empty, I want it to say overheat. Have the weapon with a cool down. For example, the player shoots one round, no barrel heat. Player fires several rounds quickly, barrel overheats and needs to cool down.
    I tried to edit the current weapon script to include that, but it just does some really bad things like what the previous post explains. Any possibility of getting a script for like phasers, laser and say turrets???

33. Sniperhard

Sniperhard

I have been developing with VRIF for Quest and it is great, I read that it also works with Rift S, my question is if it also works for Oculus Cv1?

34. Boemak

Boemak

Ok, this looks exactly what I am looking for. Just to be clear: does it work with an Oculus Quest 2?

Edit: bought it, it works. :)

Looks really nice and the demo scene is great. You really did put a lot of effort into it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  35. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

There is a lagging cursor problem, when canvas is parented to player and player is moving.
    The cursor is lagging behind everything, including the laser (lineRenderer).

I guess the pointer should be updated the same way as lineRenderer is.
    To achieve that I parented it to RightHandPointer and then I am updating the pointer's local transform.
    That fixed the issue.

Please fix it in the nearest update of the asset.

36. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Can I move the laser origin - relative to the controller?

37. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

38. ThePaceMaker

ThePaceMaker

Thanks for getting in touch, i will use discord for further any issues

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  39. VPrygin

VPrygin

As far as i get it - it works but in a very strange way. Because Vive Focus is awful device, so everything is lagging, controllers are floating around and camera position is much higher than it should be

trojant likes this.
  40. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Ah, thanks for reporting that. I'll update the firing parameters for projectile weapons. I've added a projectile example for next update as well :p

Hmm, I think for the laser weapon you'd want to simulate ammo using time. Your best bet would be to override the ammo check functions and on fire methods to increase / decrease your overheating meter. I don't have any current plans to add this specific type of mechanic, but I'm happy to help point you in the right direction if you need help with the scripting portion. Discord would certainly be a little easier than on the forum, though.

I believe we already spoke, but just for posterity - yes this will work with the Cv1 :)

Thanks for reporting this. I will get this in to the upcoming update or possibly the next, as there are some UI / input updates that I've been working on that may need to coincide with each other. As you mentioned, using the local position instead of world should fix the lag.

Two-Handed Weapons have been implemented and are on their way for the next update. I don't have simulated weight currently included, but someone on Discord posted some code for how to do this if you are interested. I'll add a simulated weight option in the future, but for now I wanted to focus on a configurable two-handed system (which I think is working great now!).
    Ah, that is unfortunate. The VRIF XR Rig uses the TrackedPoseDriver for defvice tracking by default, so you may want to check if the Vive Focus SDK has it's own tracking mechanism. On a more positive note, it looks like the Vive focus may support OpenXR, so you may want to try the new Unity OpenXR plugin and see if you have any better success with that. VRIF currently supports OpenXR through XRInput, and in next update will support UnityInput as well.

My apologies that your question has taken some time to get answered. I took a look at your question and unfortunately don't have a direct answer right now. You are using some custom plugins that I'm not familiar with, but I will try to respond via email as best I can to get you on the right track.

The laser for the UI? There are GameObjects on the controller called LeftHandPointer / RightHandPointer. These contain the UIPointer script as well as the LineRenderer that makes the laser beam graphics. You can move these transforms around (they are relative to your hand), and there is also a property called "Line Distance Modifier" that you can use to control how much of the line is visible between the hand / UI canvas. You should be able to move these around to get a position that works for you.

Starmind01 likes this.
  41. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

This issue is dependend on SmoothLocomotion script (which I am actually using, possibly also Teleport script). Disabling these scrips in the XR Rig prefab also helps, probably by postponing their OnEnable actions. Then these get enabled later by the master locomotion script.

Please set the starting laser position for controller model (one with no hands) earlier (closer) in the upcoming asset update.

42. maxaud

maxaud

I tried this and I can get it close by having a dynamic grab point but then when I let go it gets crazy sometimes. I look forward to a raycast system to move elements around at a distance without it moving to the hands and another nice feature of said system would be to snap elements to surfaces by grabbing them and then pointing at a surface with maybe a rotation ability.

43. holodevice

holodevice

Unity Version 2019.4.16 . XR Rigs - On start to play, moves the playercontroller to 0,0,0, with the message, "Player position not set to 0. Moving player to : (x,y,z). Resetting the rig position.

44. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

You can remove that line from BNGPlayerController if it's of concern. It was there to make sure the tracking origin was set to 0,0,0 - otherwise player movement would be slightly offset on some Oculus devices. That should no longer be necessary with the updated tracking and smooth locomotion scripts. I plan to remove it after I test on a few more devices for this next update.

45. Starmind01

Starmind01

Maybe don't remove it entirely. Maybe make it so those that do need it can use it and others not. Boolean??

46. jeesty

jeesty

I'm very interested in the framework, but I have a single strange use case that has be worried. Lets say I am falling fast, and a grabbable, rather thin along the y dimension, is coming up below me. I put my hand out, and hold my grab button. When my hand collides with the grabbable, assuming continuous collision, will my hand and body position be corrected to be at the first possible grab location on the grabbable?

47. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi everyone,

Version 1.6 is now up on the asset store! There a lot of new updates here (I think I need some more tables in the demo scene! :p ), so please be sure to back up your project before updating.

*Note - I switched the default plugins that vrif ships with from Oculus Android / Desktop and OpenVR Desktop to the new XR Plugin system. This is an effort to move towards the Unity 2020 / 2021 lifecycle, but that also means that OpenVR Desktop users won't be able to just install VRIF and be on their way. Unity currently doesn't have a plugin available for OpenVR input, so you'll need to use the SteamVR Plugin or just switch back to OpenVR Desktop if you're using 2019.4LTS. Be sure to check the wiki or hop on Discord if you're not sure which package to use with your device.

Here is the full change log :
    1. First and foremost - lots and lots of little polishes and performance improvements have been made to the simple task of grabbing objects and moving them around. Holding objects and using smooth locomotion, teleport, etc are much smoother now - you may not even consciously notice them, but they are there! VRIF also no longer relies on parenting objects to the hand for the smoothest movement, which makes certain tasks such as networking with Normcore much easier. These little performance improvements add up, and you'll notice the demo scene has a lot more going on now, but still able to keep up on lower end devices such as the Quest.
    2. Add Unity Input integration - Most major components (smooth locomotion, player rotation, etc.) can now use the Unity Input system / input actions. These are optional and you can continue using raw inputs if you'd like for now.
    3. Added OpenXR input support - Technically VRIF already supported OpenXR through XRInput, but I've also included the new OpenXR specification when using "UnityInput" from the InputBridge. I wouldn't quite recommend using this until Unity's OpenXR implementation has matured a bit (it's in beta), or if you're using a WMR or Valve Index device, as OpenXR support seems pretty good there right now.
    4. Two-Handed Grabbables - Very configurable with the ability to specify how the second hand grab mechanic works. Can have it average out the positions (try the yellow cube on the table) with custom weightings (percentages, not weight), or have the hand "lookat" the other hand on a horizontal or vertical axis. A rifle is a good example of a horizontal look (barrel points forward), while a Katana (points up) is a good example of a vertical configuration. I've included a bat, crowbar, katana, and a bo staff as some examples to play around with.

5. Better moving platform support - no longer need to parent the player for moving platforms (though that is an option). I moved the platform check to it's own component "PlayerMovingPlatformSupport". This will raycast down for objects that have the "MovingPlatform" component attached. Moving platforms then keep track of their movement deltas and pass that info along to the player.
    6. Better SteeringWheel functionality - added a smoothing mechanic and better two-handed support
    7. Added an example Vehicle Controller - you can use this as an RC car like in the demo scene (see below), or as a full vehicle using the steering wheel prefab. Vehicles make me a little nauseous in vr, so I didn't include a demo scene for a rideable vehicle, but there is a prefab you can use. I'd recommend parenting the barebones player rig to the vehicle for best results.

8. 3D objects can now use IPointer events, so you can use the UI pointer on 3D objects (therre is an example cube next to the UI in the demo scene)
    9. New options for aiming the bow - can now lock certain axis from rotation. Try out the green bow and let me know what you think!

10. Added a new plugin window that shows which xr-related plugins are installed. This can help with support requests or just determining if maybe you are missing something. I also added a little OpenXR install button if you're on Unity 2020.

11. Added option to allow hand model to move freely in GrabPointTrigger. This means you can have a trigger collider that triggers an animation / hand pose on enter, without the user having to grab anything. So for example, when the users hand get close to a lightswitch you could animate the index finger out a bit.
    12. Added OnEnter event to TeleportDestinations
    13. Added missing Down events to VREmulator
    14. Added Cursor scaling to UIPointer, option to add PhysicsRaycaster to camera.
    15. New system for detecting which xr plugins are installed, and using the proper sdk calls depending on version (for example, CommonUsages vs. OculusUsages).
    16. Added some missing "Up" events to SteamVR inputs
    17. Added built-in support for Invector AI damage. Just add the Damageable component to an AI and the damage / hit events will be properly sent out for you. Also included a PlayerDamage script to handle the AI damaging the player
    18. Added warning message to Grabbable component if scale is non-uniform, along with a button to fix this for you. This works by setting the scale of the transform to 1,1,1 and then resizing any box colliders, and moving mesh renderers to a child. Can also do this manually using a component called "FixNonUniformScale" (can be very helpful if you like to quickly prototype geometry using primitives)
    19. Added simple alternative to the TrackedPoseDriver. This allows VRIF to no longer depend on the Legacy Input Helpers package. You can also use the new Input System tracking setup, but I've found this simple component to work quite well for the majority of cases.
    I also just wanted to mention that I finally got to use a crowbar model that was generously donated from GearWorksProductions (thank you!) some time ago (can find it in their asset with a high rez texture here). It was an easter egg in one of the breakable boxes for a little while, but now that I've got 2-Handed weapons working well I can display it in it's full glory ;)

48. BeardedNinjaGames

BeardedNinjaGames

Hi everyone, me again :) There were a couple of issues that cropped up with 1.6 - I've patched those up and 1.61 should be out soon. If you installed 1.6, there are a couple of issues worth knowing depending on your setup :

1. Please remove the .asmdef files from the /Animation, /Editor, and /Scripts directories (for a total of 3). These were provided to allow better compatibility with outside Unity packages, but ultimately caused more issues than it helped fix. If you are having an issue with SteamVR, be sure to remove these (they have been removed in 1.61).

2. If you're using XR Legacy packages such as Oculus Desktop package or OpenVR Desktop package then your Tracking Origin may no longer be set properly. To fix this, uncomment the line in InputBridge :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType(TrackingSpaceType.RoomScale);
    Sorry for any inconvenience! Hopefully these didn't affect too many people.

I've got some more stuff to show off for upcoming updates, so stay tuned! :)

johanneskopf, S_Noe and EN_Games like this.
  49. netpost

netpost

@BeardedNinjaGames

The VR Interaction framework seems like a great asset! I haven't had the chance to use it yet but v1.6 looks like a great update. I made a few VR 360 horror videos in Unity and my next step is to build an horror game for the Oculus Quest.
    The VR Interaction framework will help a lot. I watched your nice video tutorial on Emerald 2 integration, which I already own but do you know if The VR Interaction framework can be integrated with other asset like the Horror FPS Kit or Adventure creator? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

50. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I couldn't get to work my project in Unity 2019.4.19., after update to 1.61, until I have removed ScreenFader from the XR Rig prefab.
    The CenterEyeAnchor, where it is attached, just kept on being destroyed.