Search Unity

VR Character Controller - Inspace Toolkit (ITK)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by joelybahh, Jun 8, 2019.

1. joelybahh

joelybahh

Banner1.png
    VR Character Controller is the most powerful and intuitive VR character controller on the asset store. The system is built on Unity's native VR support making it extremely future proof and easy-to-use.

ITK allows users of any proficiency level to create custom VR locomotion setups in minutes. Built as a series of modules, ITK makes it easy to add, remove and combine different movement methods, making this perfect for Artists, Designers, and Programmers.

Don't spend your precious development time re-creating the wheel, kickstart your VR development today, and have a VR Character Controller implemented in just seconds, ready to deploy or build on top of.

Main Features: Mix & Match any modules to create a unique experience.
    • A built-in VR Rig Creation wizard to configure and manage the VR camera rig (never dig through the hierarchy again!).
    • Event-driven architecture making ITK very easy to extend.
    • Dozens of configurable locomotion modules for you to mix and match:
      • Advanced Teleporter:
        • Configure teleport arc to rebound off walls or slopes.
        • Rotate your teleport direction with the Thumbstick/Touchpad.
      • Smooth movement with the Thumbstick/Touchpad, follow your head or hands.
      • Run-in-place movement.
      • Smooth or snap rotate with the thumbstick.
      • Arm-Swing movement.
      • Grip-and-pull movement.
      • Dash movement.
      • Configurable Body presence settings:
        • Gravity settings, walk in the air or fall (smoothly or instantly).
        • Crouch to walk under obstacles.
        • Prevent walking through walls.
        • Prevent teleporting into spaces based on VR user height.

Asset Integrations:
    GAIA - Use Gaia? We have a direct integration to streamline your game creation process! watch the demo video here.

Supported Devices:
    • Oculus Rift/Rift S - Tested.
    • Vive & Vive Pro - Tested.
    • WMR Headset - Tested.
    Supported Next Update:
    • Oculus Go - In-Development
    • Oculus Quest - In-Development
    NOTE: Oculus Quest is not supported by Unity's Standalone VR Support until the next version of unity (2019.2.0). We are actively working on getting a solution for the Quest compatible with 2018.3.5 and up in the mean time.

Interested? Fill out this short survey to help shape the future of this plugin.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T7WQKXR

Screenshot-VRRigBuilder.png
    VR Rig Builder
    Use the VR Rig Builder to automatically generate a VR Character Controller rig. If you are missing any dependencies, or don't have all the correct settings, we will automatically fill those in when you first open this window, so just bear with it and let it finish processing.

Screenshot-ITKManager.png
    VR Rig Manager
    The VR Rig Manager resides in the same window as the Rig Builder, this window, however, only shows if there is a rig already present in your unity scene. This window allows you to manage all of the settings for your Character Controller, in neat, easy to use editor window that avoids the need to dig through hierarchies.

Screenshot-SceneHierarchy.png
    Clean and easy to navigate hierarchy.
    Hierarchy is nice and neat, very readable at a glance, and helps understand how this asset works. Toggling off a feature is as simple as toggling off the game object (NOTE: only objects under Modules should be toggled off). This can all be done through the manager widow also.

Screenshot-EventDriven.png Event-Driven Design
    This asset was built with event-driven architecture, simply add an IXR_EventListener to any game object, drag whatever one of these events you want to respond too, and start responding to VR Character Controller events all through the unity editor UI! This can also be done through code.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. joelybahh

joelybahh

3. MattJ97

MattJ97

This looks great! It's actually quite hard to find a good VR Character Controller solution, this one look like very promising!

JoelGab, HeadClot88 and joelybahh like this.
  4. Pescu

Pescu

Very nice, I can't wait to try it.
    I have just some questions.
    • Did the teleport implement layers or other technique for where you can teleport?
    • If someone use Steam VR rig camera, is easy to make it work together?

joelybahh likes this.
  5. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Rift, Vive, Go, Quest ?

joelybahh likes this.
  6. joelybahh

joelybahh

Definitely, they're fully tested and work great.

Yes, as unity Native VR supports these headsets, however not fully tested as we only just got the headsets in the other day so official testing will take place next week. I will reply with another post with supported headsets.

Join our discord community, if you like, for frequent updates

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    JoelGab likes this.
  7. joelybahh

joelybahh

Yes, the teleport feature works off collision layers for determining what it can and can't hit.

It is definitely possible, but no automated method of doing so yet. I'll be curious to see the demand for something like this, as Native VR is looking to remove the need for SteamVR and Oculus Integration assets. But if lots of people want this I can definitely do a tutorial video on it and add it to the automated workflow

JoelGab and Pescu like this.
  8. Pescu

Pescu

If they remove the need of integration with steamVR of course it would only simplify our job. It would probably remain only the binding of the joysticks.

JoelGab likes this.
  9. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Do you have a estimated price tag?

JoelGab likes this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Will this support the Windows MR VR headsets?

JoelGab likes this.
  11. joelybahh

joelybahh

We have gone ahead and added a simple input mapper for generic controller inputs, so things like Trigger, Grip, Menu Buttons, thumbstick/touchpad are very easily accessed and rebinding should not take long :)

The asset will be priced at $59.99 :)

Yes it will, Native VR in unity makes our headset support extend as far as Unity's does,

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    StevenPicard likes this.
  12. joelybahh

joelybahh

I updated the initial post to list supported devices :)

13. Parsec3d

Parsec3d

how hard would be to do hand swing locomotion but with vive trackers?

joelybahh likes this.
  14. joelybahh

joelybahh

Very interesting question! I will look at modifying the 'arm-swing' locomotion to accept 2 optional transform overrides, this will allow you to easily swap it from tracking the controllers, over to the Vive trackers.

There is no official support, but I would be very interested in supporting something like this, and guiding you through the steps to do so :)

Also note, this asset is currently built off unity's generic XR, I am looking to update the pack soon after release to easily support existing/older workflows such as the SteamVR plugin and Oculus Integration plugin.

15. Parsec3d

Parsec3d

awesome … so If I want for example to swing upward an slope and then let go so gravity slides me down or just use the swing to add force if Im going down a slope would be very very cool..

joelybahh likes this.
  16. joelybahh

joelybahh

Currently gravity will slide you down if you move over a harsh slope, however, the character controller will currently prevent you from walking up onto the harsh slope (what defines a harsh slope is up to you, you can tweak the max angle).

We are working on a more 'true-physics' system that will support a full body IK for VR, with the goal of imitating physics similar to games such as Blade and Sorcery VR. (So being able to push yourself back off a wall, using your arms to pull up onto ledges, etc).

17. Parsec3d

Parsec3d

well sounds good...

joelybahh likes this.
  18. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Survey not working for me, most of the questions are telling me they require an answer when I've already done so. Maybe the settings need tweaking?

Here are my answers in case you want them:

joelybahh likes this.
  19. Akshara

Akshara

For me as well, though I have selected multiple options for each, questions 1 and 2 are returning, "! This question requires an answer." I would rather keep my responses private, however.

joelybahh likes this.
  20. joelybahh

joelybahh

Hey, sorry about this.. survey monkey for some reason is a bit bugged so i found a workaround. Apparently can't have multiple choice as 'required' answers.

Akshara likes this.
  21. Akshara

Akshara

@joelybahh Thank you for asking for and being interested in our input with the survey. : )

joelybahh likes this.
  22. joelybahh

joelybahh

@Akshara that's ok, I see very few assets that survey their potential customers. We built this tool for in house use at Inspace XR, and figured it would bring value to others. But it is important we get a better understanding on what people actually want, as it may differ. That way we can prioritize the roadmap on the majority, and hopefully learn something new even ourselves. :)

Akshara likes this.
  23. joelybahh

joelybahh

The asset is still in review, anyone wishing to get access early can email me at joel@inspacexr.com and we can arrange a custom purchasing arrangement, but It's been 5 business days since submitting for review, so I am expecting confirmation any day now! For anyone new here, jump over to our discord and join our ever-growing community around XR Development in unity and our assets :D

For anyone who missed it in the post, click the link below to do our survey. It will help shape the future of this asset!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T7WQKXR

The average time it has taken submissions so far is 4 minutes, all feedback is appreciated!

24. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

If i contact you and buy from a external payment gateway, do you will send the vouchers for future upgrades via asset store?

25. joelybahh

joelybahh

HeadClot88 likes this.
  26. joelybahh

joelybahh

Anyone looking for Quest and GO support please note, we have recently encountered a small issue and are looking at fixing it for the first patch of the asset.

So if you only want this asset for an Quest/GO project, I would suggest waiting for the next update. I will edit this post once it's in and fully supported.

27. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

I will wait for Quest. Hope that will work soon. If you have a fix, just told us and will buy. Maybe tyou can send the pacth by email, whem it ready. Thank you

joelybahh likes this.
  28. joelybahh

joelybahh

@EstudioVR No worries, I'll definitely let you know once it's supported.

i'll do a post here tagging everyone who is waiting for it. If you have another preferred contact method, send it to me directly and I'll contact you that way.

Won't be too far away! :)

29. Deniz2014

Deniz2014

Is there a Demo to try? The Demo link in the Asset-Store leads to discord. Would like to try the
    • Arm-Swing movement
    • Grip-and-pull movement

30. joelybahh

joelybahh

Thanks for bringing that up. That was a placeholder link that we completely overlooked, I will get a demo build up soon and post it in our community discord :)

The discord community is where I'll be posting WIP videos and accepting feature requests.

31. Parsec3d

Parsec3d

Any news on the Quest Support?

joelybahh likes this.
  32. joelybahh

joelybahh

Hey, we have successfully side-loaded an ITK scene onto the quest, however unity standalone VR Support does not yet include quest (Simply put, our method of getting button input doesn't work), so we are working through an alternate workflow for the plugin to work easily with the oculus unity package :)

The initial Oculus Quest Support will require the Oculus Integration Package, until Unity finalizes it's standalone VR support.

We will be releasing a patch this week addressing some minor launch bugs and quest won't be long after.

33. joelybahh

joelybahh

Parsec3d, sjm-tech and tcmeric like this.
  34. joelybahh

joelybahh

Another very short survey: https://forms.gle/nfhzHBcATHpgkE3z7

Just gathering insight on what everyone is 'truly' wanting out of the pack in the upcoming updates :)
    The more people that bring their opinion, the easier it is for me to carve out an ideal roadmap!

Please leave any comments here for questions/concerns, or contact us directly: support@inspacexr.com

Also opened up a public Trello board for anyone/everyone to come and vote on new features.
    https://trello.com/b/YTR7e8GZ/itk-vr-character-controller-public-product-roadmap

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  35. joelybahh

joelybahh

Newest update to ITK is pending review!

The asset is also 30% off until the 1st of November.

36. ibompuis

ibompuis

Hi,
    I try to use physics with ITK, but seems the player gravity not work.

I'v a balancing board (see saw) with rigidbody and hingejoint, when I "walk" on it the balance move if I'm on the center but not at end of it.
    How I can appli force when I move on it ? I tried to change the gravity in ITK player setting but no effect.

If I use a simple cube with rigibody there works fine.

Best,

37. joelybahh

joelybahh

Hey @ibompuis, This can be achieved with ITK but requires some manual work, as the gravity is a custom implementation and it won't behave like that automatically (This will likely change in the future as we move to a fully physics-based controller).

Basically, we use a hybrid implementation of Unity's Character Controller, which won't apply downwards physics force, but is still able to push things around (A quick google will reveal many people also struggle trying to set up generic character controllers to work on seesaw like objects).

If you wouldn't mind getting in touch with us via: support@inspacexr.com with your query, so it can officially be added to our support queue.

38. ibompuis

ibompuis

Thanks Joel, sended a email today, this is important part of project for my customer, I'm waiting your support feedback :)
    Best,

39. keithfrechette

keithfrechette

Looks like the asset info hasn't been updated in a few months. Any significant updates? Oculus Quest support?

40. keithfrechette

keithfrechette

Also, when will the "Demo" link (on the asset page) actually point to a demo, and the "Documentation" link point to actual details of how to control all aspects of the controller (through editor UI and programmatically)? As it is now, I really can't tell if your product is just beta code at the moment and to what extent it lives up to the hype "most powerful and intuitive VR character controller on the asset store". I want to believe. ;)