Search Unity

Assets [Released] VoltGizmos v1.3.1

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Grizmu, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Grizmu

Grizmu

VoltGizmos boosts editor's built-in gizmo, scene view and game view functionalities, improving your workflow, productivity and debug sessions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I got the idea for this plugin after working in couple of projects, where I've been through various sheningans related to gizmos. I'm a guy who is a perfectionist and dislikes distractions. Every hickup, slowdown or inconvenience that I or my teammate faced was noted and, if they appeared often, I thought about possible ways to improve the situation.

One of those things was performance. Getting good editor performance is pretty straightforward: disable gizmos, lights, set quality to low, close not needed windows, use asmdefs, clean project assets, watch profiler™ for editor scripts, pretty basic stuff. BUT!

Gizmos are very useful for debuging, working on the scene, and they can alone wreck the performance of the editor.

We had a nice pile of about 1400 AI nodes on the AI scene, 500 nodes for flying stuff, and 150 portals. All had two gizmo modes available, which were simple and advanced, both toggled inside a special window created just for our project. You could toggle each type separately, and the OnDrawGizmos had nice ifs that checked, if they should show basic gizmos, advanced gizmos or nothing at all. Even disabling them all caused a total of 1400+500+150 = 2050 calls to OnDrawGizmos on scene view repaints, just to check the ifs! While disabling gizmos in the gizmo dropdown menu available in sceneView made the editor not call those methods at all.

Other thing that I despised was switching gizmo contexts. I'm working on portals for a game. Portals in this project have custom OnDrawGizmo methods, and they consist of a handfull of scripts, creating the portal system. Lets disable all of the gizmos and only keep portals enabled. That always made it clear where the portals were on the scene and allowed to focus on developing the module.
    Then a teammate, that's responsible for audio design of the scene, notices a bug with the ambient player.
    Let me check that very quick and see what is happening. Go to test scene, press play. Oops, no gizmos show up. Lets go to gizmos list and toggle manually one by one. There goes my 20 seconds of life. Bugcheck, fix the bug, and where was I? Right, working on portals. And there goes another 20 seconds of my life.

I've noticed how much time I'm wasting for all of the small stuff related to gizoms, which just adds up. Most of the projects had those small handy scripts for quickly turning off/on all of the gizmos with the reflection, but because of no standarization I've seen, and used, various different methods. I've decided to make something that would put an end to this madness. Something small, compact, optimised and possibly with one-click workflow, and here's the result.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Asset store: Click

For support please use the support thread at:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/voltgizmos-gizmos-workflow-booster.709973/
    or discord:
    https://discord.gg/Rx3SQTf

I've created this thread to stay in focus on features, feedback and roadmap for the asset, and you are very much welcome to tell me what you think!

Current Roadmap:
    For v1.4+:

1. Layers saving
    2. More icons.

For v2.x:
    1. More icons.
    2. Support for saving/loading other editor and scene view settings.
    3. Optimizations.
    4. Gizmos code generation.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Grizmu

Grizmu

v1.1.0 is out on the asset store, which adds 2018.x support.

Had to mitigate missing shortcuts and use the good-ol' menuitem solution, and for those of you who don't like using shortcuts and don't want to clutter their toolbar, there's a single define which you can comment out.
    upload_2019-8-2_10-43-23.png

For future versions I'm looking to improve the reflection interface, which could work better for single item updates if the data is buffered.

Attached Files: