Search Unity

[RELEASED] VLC Player for Unity (New: Youtube Streaming!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chassets, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Any chance this works in WebPlayer or WebGL builds?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. tiger404

tiger404

How can I use this plugin for 360* video for VR (need rendering to Texture2D)?

3. chassets

chassets

At the Moment this is not possible, sorry.
    Texture2D feature is in beta and a free extension, you can find more info on the asset store description here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/58898
    In the demoscene, the YT Video is rendered onto a plane - you would have to move the scripts to a sphere with inverted normals.

4. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Do you have plans to support them in the future?

5. chassets

chassets

I would at least like to check if it is possible with WebGL, but I have so many Projects going on at work atm - so this might have to wait until summer is over I guess. Can't make any promises here, sorry.

6. prtk-21

prtk-21

Do you support iOS/Android builds? If not, would there be support in the future.

7. chassets

chassets

Hi!

@]ROCUSER: Nope, that's not my contact, my mail adress is chunityassets(at)gmail(dot)com, or you can use this page https://chassets.wordpress.com

iOS and Android is not supported as of now, sorry - can't say if or when it will be supported in the future atm.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. stepan-stulov

stepan-stulov

Does this plugin play audio track of a movie natively or within Unity's audio subsystem (audio sources, audio listeners, etc.)? I'm asking because I'm currently using iVidCapPro plugin for capturing a movie from within the scene. The biggest problem with most (if not all) plugins that render a movie onto a texture is that you cannot recapture their audio component because it plays "outside" of the whole Unity. You can hear it but to the audio subsystem its non-existent. Perhaps being actively in the development you could give this one a thought and truly stand out from all the easy movie textures, mobile movie textures and alike.

Audio re-capturability would truly be a gem.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  9. chassets

chassets

Thanks for the input, I'll put this feature on my list, maybe I can do something about it.

10. tolstenko

tolstenko

I am looking for a similar solution but cross platform to android and ios. I would buy if you port it.

11. e_v

e_v

I just want to say that I appreciate holzay's comprehensive and friendly communication here. Clearly he's doing this in addition to his regular billable work, and still manages to reply to all questions with a tone of openness, patience, and cheer. I place a tremendous value on that.

I had a few questions about this plugin, and by the time I had read through this whole thread, they had been answered.

Kudos, holzay!

+1 for OSX, etc. support some day.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    chassets and stepan-stulov like this.
  12. chassets

chassets

Wow, thank you very much for your kind words, really appreciate it.

13. chassets

chassets

FYI: Just submitted a new version that fixes a couple of small things that were brought up by customers. Should be up in a couple of days. Also you can put multiple paths to videos in the Video path field seperated by blank " " spaces, then they will act like a playlist.

Have a nice day,
    holzay

zyzyx likes this.
  14. chassets

chassets

Forgot to mention: you can use the plugin easily as a audio only player now, even if you load a video (from YouTube, for example), just add "--no-audio" to the VideoPath field.
    For the next update this will be a bool you can tick, but I completely forgot about it :D

15. tlutz

tlutz

Just purchased and installed the plugin, and it's working spectacularly.

Is there support for finding the total length of a video as well as the current time? I know there are the seek functions, but I need to be able to determine how far along a video has played, and possibly set the time manually other than seeking.

16. chassets

chassets

Hi! This Feature is currently in development, you can contact me by mail if you need this earlier, maybe I can help you with parts of it already.

17. an2015

an2015

Hi,
    If I have a video path "C:/user/Desktop/12 23.mp4" , some videos' file name or path with space character can not load.
    Do you have any solution?

Thanks.

18. chassets

chassets

Hi!

If you put your link in quotes (" ..." ), it also works with spaces in filenames. This is already fixed for the next version. Thank you for reporting this!

Hope this helps,
    best regards,
    holzay

19. an2015

an2015

Hi, holzay

Thank you for your reply. I have a another question. If i want to decrypt(DRM) a encrypted video, can i access the video data and decrypt it?
    Thanks,

Sincerely,
    An

20. chassets

chassets

Do you want to access the videos pixels of a frame for example? I fear this is not possible in the current implementation.

21. PandoraBox

PandoraBox

is there got progress bar in the movie? i mean.. is it possible to make it visible?

cos seems all those movies doesn't have the progress bar in the movie screen..

22. chassets

chassets

Hi, in the Demos there's no Progress bar atm. In the new Version that I am currently testing, you can get the Position and set the Position in the timeline easily, so creating a Progress bar with a slider would be easy.

Edit: And sorry for the late Reply, I sometimes don't receive the unity forum notifications - no idea why, but it's a bit annoying ;-)

23. PandoraBox

PandoraBox

thanks for the reply! im going to purchase right now :D yay~~ actually that was the biggest issue haha

24. chassets

chassets

Contact me by mail if you want, I'd be happy to send you the newer Version sooner - so you do not have to wait for the asset store update process.

25. PandoraBox

PandoraBox

i got the assets and now im trying to use this.. but I got a problem with use it..
    i was planing to use it for play YOUTUBE movies in mobile phone. but when I open the tutorial file(PDF)
    it says
    ' VLC for Unity makes it easy to play any kind of video file in your Windows builds with the power of VLC'

does it only works on window flatform ?? if android cant play this.... I cant use it ... :'(

1st .. I need play movie in android phone

2nd.. when I import from asset store, and finish importing, it automatically error comes out..

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.ComponentModel.InitializationEventAttribute' from assembly 'System.Windows.Forms'.

Im crying and praying very hard to waiting your ' it is available for mobile too ' reply ..

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  26. chassets

chassets

It says on the asset store page that it is for Windows only, as do the Demos and the Videos and a couple of Posts in this thread, didnt you try the Demos before purchasing? :(

27. PandoraBox

PandoraBox

oh... i could'nt see those words.... those are hiding down there and so small.... so sad.. my bad

28. Kreibich

Kreibich

Does this plugin support switching more audio tracks and subtitles with MKV file format?

Thank you.

29. chassets

chassets

There is no function for this yet, however VLC is of course able to accomplish that. I think I can easily integrate this function in the next release, should not be hard to do.

30. manssorameer

manssorameer

Hi, I really love your work. I'm working on a project on VR. I want to know if Unity's VLC can work on Oculus rift. If not. please start working on it. I really need it

31. chassets

chassets

Hey, thanks! Glad you like it!

Actually, you can use the Texture2D Extension to do that already (link on the asset store page) - a few used it for 360° 4K videos already (including myself).

32. manssorameer

manssorameer

I already got the asset. I don't see this Texture2D tho. can you please include a demo for it in your next update. Thank you

33. chassets

chassets

As I said, the link is in the readme and in the asset store description :) - I sent you a private message with instructions & link also.

Hope that helps!

34. jcbhmmn

jcbhmmn

Does the Texture 2D extension enable streaming youTube 360 video such as this:
    ? To be viewed on Oculus? Also any idea about timeline for availability of version that works for mobile and is compatible with GearVR?

35. chassets

chassets

Hi!

To do that, you would place the scripts from the texture2d Extension on a sphere (with inverted normals) instead of the plane in the demo Scene. Then it will Play as 360° Video on that sphere.

36. CG522

CG522

Hey, I got the plugin, but when I try to Play, it wont play in the game view. I can only see it on top of my screen (As if it was a small fullscreen video).
    Additionally, when I open your demo scenes, I get the same result. Even in the scene view, the tracking is off for the rect Transform.
    I am most likely doing something wrong. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    -CG

37. chassets

chassets

Hi!
    Please check the readme on how to set the editor view to get the right result. This is something that can only happen in editor though, in builds it will always be accurately placed.

If you need additional help, feel free to contact me via the support email, and I'll assist you.

Hope this helps,
    best regards

CG522 likes this.
  38. maaz0011

maaz0011

Is that compatible with android build ?

39. or113

or113

Many people asked for it and I'm joining - android and ios and I will buy it.

40. Fidel85

Fidel85

whether the existing playlist features? such as repeat,shuffle

41. chassets

chassets

Please contact me via the support email, and I'll send you the updated version (sadly not in store yet, have to submit it again), where you can toggle repeat / shuffle. in the current asset store version, the playlist will just go through the videos in the order you add them to the path field.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  42. chassets

chassets

I hear you guys ;-) Problem is, that with my unique implementation of VLC for Unity, this would probably not be possible in the same way and would require a completely different approach, that why I'll focus on support and development for the current version at least until I have less stress at my regular job.

43. chassets

chassets

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know that version 1.06 is out.

New in 1.06: Better controls & video info functions, playlist improvements, convenient ability to use hundreds of command line arguments to customize every aspect of playback for your special needs.

44. Steamc0re

Steamc0re

Do you happen to know if this is Xbox compatible?

45. chassets

chassets

Sorry, no - since a VLC version is needed for this.

46. Mr_Niceguy

Mr_Niceguy

Hi,

do you know wether i can use this plugin also in Windows Universal apps?
    I want to display a RTSP stream in my HoloLense App..

47. chassets

chassets

Sadly, this won't be possible. Sorry

48. JamesBentley

JamesBentley

Hey!

This looks like an awesome addon, I'm curious if I can use it to stream and RTSP stream from an axis camera. I can get the stream to work in VLC so I suspect it will just wanted to confirm before purchasing.

Would it be possible for me to PM you guys the URL of my axis camera so you could test it out as well or is there some kind of watermarked Demo version I could try?

All the best and looking forward to purchasing!

JB

49. chassets

chassets

Hey JB!
    Thanks for the interest. If it works in VLC it'll work here - you can PM or email me the link and I'll gladly test it for you nevertheless.

All the best & have a nice evening,
    holzay

50. TLRgames

TLRgames

Hi!
    Does it work with live videos?
    When I put a url of a live video it does not work correctly. What I can do?
    Thanks!