Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Vertex Tools Pro – Heightbased PBR Material Blending, Flowmapping and Mesh Deform

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PitHeimes, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Maskvp

Maskvp

upload_2017-8-14_12-33-14.png
    I can`t fix it T_T

Unity 5.6.0f3
    I use Lightmap then it happened

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. dawidtheoutsiders

dawidtheoutsiders

Using the VTP/V2/_Metallic shader. It looks like the detail map is not multiplied x2 as the standard shader or am I missing something?

To the left we have the standard shader with a detal texture and to the right we have _Metallic shader with the same detail texture.
    upload_2017-8-23_16-26-2.png

3. dawidtheoutsiders

dawidtheoutsiders

No answer in eight days? We are looking into using this in production but the devs seems to have left it to live on it´s own. I guess that should go into the reviews. I´ll give it another day then we´ll go for another solution.

4. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Oh damn, wasn't logged in and totally missed that there is a 10th page in this thread now.
    Sorry about that. Back into topic:

It seems we are running out of sampler when using Specular. Could you try it with Metallic if that works?

We are looking into it asap. Never had any problems so far though. Could you on the otherhand just quickly switch to the Specular shader and tell us if the problem remains? We could not reproduce it so far! Or get in touch via mail and send us the material with the textures? :) Thanks for your patience and help.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. Maskvp

Maskvp

It seems we are running out of sampler when using Specular. Could you try it with Metallic if that works?

I already used Metallic before, and got same result.

6. recon0303

recon0303

HI Pit, awhile ago, you had said someone was making an FBX exporter, did that ever happen do you know??

Thanks,

antoripa likes this.
  7. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Hi @PitHeimes , I would like to know if it is possible to just paint plans, or can I paint other types of objects as well?

8. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Unfortunately, this hasn't been our main focus lately. :(

You can of course also paint meshes that are not planes. In our demonstration videos we use mostly planes because they show the textures and the functionality better, but any model will work.
    (But remember that terrain cannot be painted with VTP)

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  9. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Amazing, thank you. I made the purchase last week, but I still have not been able to test the tool. Thanks for sharing.

10. antoripa

antoripa

@PitHeimes I bought your asset. I cannot find the tool to paint SpeedTree. Can you help me ?

11. recon0303

recon0303

ya, I JUST remember someone was making one, but I have one now anyways, for Unity, FBX exporter . Found one in another asset. Thanks anyways.

12. huaffinity

huaffinity

Q> is VTP allowed for commercial use?
    Couldn't find the terms of use myself :(

13. recon0303

recon0303

of course it is....everything on the store is...

14. huaffinity

huaffinity

Thanks for the reply!
    I had to check since there are some assets not allowed to use commercially by terms of use(ie: Unity Chan)

15. recon0303

recon0303

really?? must be some of the free ones?

16. huaffinity

huaffinity

Yes and no. Unity-Chan is just one of some I know of. In their terms of use, some assets are not allowed to be used commercially no matter paid or free. Hence I had to ask for VTP. Your confusion got me confused about VTP now.

17. recon0303

recon0303

I been here 8 years or so.., and own hundreds of assets been in the industry for 20 + years, NEVER SEEN a paid assets ever, where you could NOT use in your game.....and sell your game....So LOVE TO SEE the asset your talking about...I even asked a ton of asset developers I know as well, they never seen it either.... So please show what your talking about.....

I work with many asset developers, and work with AAA and indies... So again love for you to PM me these so called PAID assets your saying can't be used in a game your making and selling Thanks..

Some free ones, I could understand them...not being able to use.. but I don't use any of the free ones as I'm a developer..So if your using free ones, some have license agreements, where they do not want you selling, to make money off that asset. Some are for learning, Unity. but PAID ones....that would make no sense..what so ever...

Here is the license store agreement for ASSETS on the store .....

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  18. gamedeveloper512

gamedeveloper512

Hello. Cannot make a build during it has shader errors:

'Shader error in 'VTP/V2/Metallic': maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at line 261 (on d3d11)'

19. Effekt-Etage

Effekt-Etage

Hi There,

I am wondering if the following is possible with this tool:

I created my own shader utilizing vertex colors. So I am looking for a tool wich i can use to paint vertex colors in unity. Does your tool allow to just paint vetex colors in a mesh and using my own shader or do I have to use your shaders. Thanks for any information.

Cheers

20. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I've ran into numerous issues and in seek for assistance urgently.

Thank you VertexPro team

21. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Pretty cool tool. Still issues though, crashing the project if not careful, a lot.

QpLSP-n6SbCvzuOxsRYXXA.png

22. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

We are currently in the very last steps of debugging and will submit a new version of VTP with Speedtree features very soon, stay tuned!

This has already been answered, but we also want to clarify that you can absolutely use VTP for all your non-commercial and commercial projects. Actually we are highly encuraging users to do this and - ideally - share the results with us! :)

Does this error still come up? If yes, please contact us at support@vertextools.pro

Yes, VTP includes a fully functional vertex painter, that is not dependant of our shaders.
    Looks cool so far, this is exactly one of the use cases we had in mind when we started VTP! If you still have any issues, please report back to us and we will try to help :)

antoripa likes this.
  23. antoripa

antoripa

Any option for Beta access ?

24. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

We will submit (the built-in beta) in a couple of days. In the meantime feel free to enjoy the last trailer. :)

25. antoripa

antoripa

really nice

26. Waterlane

Waterlane

Hi - I've been looking at VTP, but haven't used it. A few general questions.
    1. Does this work with Substance PBR textures?
    2. There's another vertex painting tool which uses what it calls cluster textures (i.e. I believe this tiles a range of textures with a noise map - if you want more info I can link it) - Does VTP have something similar? A way to reduce the repetitive look of tiling
    3. The new speedtree integration. Will VTP work with the upcoming Speedtree 8?
    4.How can terrain painting be done? Is there a work around for VTP with Unity Terrain?

Thanks in advance - VTP looks really powerful and strait forward to use. :)

PS - The fbx export that someone else mentioned. That would be cool.

27. magique

magique

Great video. What are you using for the stumps, fallen logs, and rocks in that scene? It all looks so amazing.

28. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

Hi, Haven't been able to find info on compatibility with shader generation plugins other than Alloy, does VTP work or have problems with Shader forge or Amplify shader editor?

29. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Nope :) At least non that we are aware of :)

30. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, I have a scene with some tree meshes and a ground mesh and I'm looking for a tool I can use to paint over the join between the two and make it look seamless, basically something that will achieve a result like this:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/com...-blending-tool-based-on-star-wars-battlefront

The ground texture can tile but the tree texture doesn't. Is this something your tool can do and do you have a demo video showing that functionality working?

31. recon0303

recon0303

VTP can't be used with Unity terrain. They had talked about it at one point.. but I think its either dropped or on a back burner.. They have many other things that are working on the last we heard.

far as an FBX export I mentioned it, but I found one in another asset... I didn't always work with my newer version of Maya, so I made my own. Not to bad actually to do. Took me a few hours if that. They aren't making one as of now they had posted back to me.

I also think there is some free ones online you could use that may work..

Waterlane likes this.
  32. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

We are happy to announce that we are part of the Black Friday Sale in the Unity Asset Store!

What this means is that Vertex Tools Pro is now 50% off for the duration of the sale!

Also, we worked very hard to publish our most recent update (which adds Speedtree support to our Vertex Tools Pro feature set) in time so now is the perfect time to grab it.

Here you go: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/55649?aid=1100l3pYo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    blitzvb and Quique-Martinez like this.
  33. blitzvb

blitzvb

congrats for this asset, it's clearly good.

Though I am not sure it can resolve the issue that I have with blending textures as it's very specific.

I have a hexagonal grid made of individual hexagon/mesh that represent a certain kind of terrain (plains, hills, desert..) like that:
    hexagon-grid.png

I would like to blend between texture of adjacent cells. So, I need 6 textures ... not 3 like in VTP. I was thinking of splitting the mesh in two but I believe that it will be slow to cut.

any idea?

34. recon0303

recon0303

ever since the update... VTP. has been looking up Unity every time.. when I use Substances, alls I do is generate the maps and it just reads it...and locks up..I have tried many substances.. They all lock up.

35. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Hey recon,

there seems to be a little bug back again for some users. When it "locks up", it actual does not lock up. Just click the generate button again and it should work. :)

36. recon0303

recon0303

Ok, found out, this is NOT a VTP issue....It actually was a substance issue....Unity just fixed it so we could use Substance Designer 6 in OCT..... For some reason I was unable to use the substance, in VTP unless I updated the substance ....SO I think it was a Unity issue with substance, as I tried newer versions of substance and its fine.

So I wouldn't worry about it. Thanks anyways for your help.. sorry .. thought it was VTP at first.... but its not..

PS: it was locking up for sure. But has to be a Unity issue, with out dated substances, I'm actually contacting substance and Unity about this...if anyone ever has this happens, update your substances. but it was NOT a VTP issue..I want to be clear, so in case someone else has this happen....

VTP is on sale, I suggest for anyone to buy it, I find the BLENDING to be the best on the store.. and I love that we have substance support, and the fact I can use on OPEN GL2.0....not many do.. and if they do , its no where near the level as VTP... So I suggest to buy it, 22 bucks, is dirt cheap for a tool like this.... Oh and Speed Tree support, its in beta but coming along...No one has Speed Tree support at all ..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  37. TCL987

TCL987

@PitHeimes Does Vertex Tools Pro have a way to bake the painted vertex colours into the mesh instead of using the stream script? If so is there a way to do it automatically on build?

I'm asking because I'm interested in using VTP for making content for VRChat which doesn't allow C# scripts to be uploaded.

38. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Yeah, you can actually bake the painted colors so that you do not need any vertex data stream scripts.

recon0303 likes this.
  39. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hi people, I have an issue. I want to add some realistic looking to the parallax occluded materials with SE Screen-Space Shadows. This effect uses depth map to render shadows so it works with shaders that modifies it. Developer screenshot looks like so:

But it's not working with VTP shaders as if it doesn't not modify the depth.

VTP_depth_1.png VTP_depth_2.png

Is it can be fixed in future updates?

40. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Thanks for the hint. Seems we totally forgot about the depth writing when using parallax.
    It is noted for the next VTP update :)

41. xrooshka

xrooshka

Well, I think, it will be a problem when you'll add the depth:
    VTP_depth_3.png VTP_depth_4.png

Left: "Use Base Heightmap" checked. Right: Unchecked

I think the material depth maps should be combined the same way the diffuses combines.

42. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

That shouldn't be a problem since calculations are independent on that one.
    We will keep you updated about the progress :)

Other than that: Have you already thought about using tessellation instead of parallax? :)

43. xrooshka

xrooshka

Well, it looks awesome and works fine. I'll do some performance test. Because I think it will be too cool to use the tesselation shader on the terrain wide meshes :)
    VTP_depth_5.png

44. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi
    can i use this for get seasonal trees (dynamic change)?

treshold likes this.
  45. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Just tried the conversion of substances to combined maps. The resulting textures show interlacing artifacts and don't look like anything inside your example folder.
    What output format (8bit, 16bit) do you expect the substance outputs to have? Could you please specify the usage settings of these outputs as well from within substance designer?
    E.g.:
    A for roughness or G for ambientOcclusion?

Edit:
    @PitHeimes
    anything?

Edit:
    Managed to get the textures look alright. Seems I had some quirks in my SD outputs.
    However, your Texture Assistent does not copy the smoothness channel (A) of my metallic output into the combined texture.
    An example substance file (an actual sbs file to be opened in SD) would be great to have a closer look at how YOU expect them to output their values.
    Also, the heightbased blending does nothing - it is activated in the shader, the combined texture has the appropriate data. But the blending looks like old-school linear interpolated vertex color blending. I will have a look at your combined maps in your examples to better understand what's going on, but so far the first steps with VTP weren't as smooth as I had hoped them to be.

Edit:
    Solved the linear blending issue with your second tutorial video. Thanks.
    Please update your pdf documentation with these essential technical details.
    Videos are often lacking tables of content - unless you provide an index of points in time with your video description - so viewers often have to watch the whole thing in order to get to the information they need. So in general I avoid watching them and rely on written documents.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  46. treshold

treshold

Yeah I'm interested about this too. So with the new speed tree -shaders can we animate values globally so every tree updates accordingly?

47. superkratos

superkratos

Hi, I've got a question about the speedtree function.
    Can we paint global tree colors to give them color variation in different areas on a terrain? As far as I see, we can only paint different colors on a single tree and apply it to all the other instances?

48. DMagic

DMagic

Is there anything specific I have to setup to get the SpeedTree shaders working right? When I try to convert a tree the leaf shaders just show red.

VTP Shader Error.PNG

The branch shaders seem to be working right, I can paint on occlusion fine. But the leaves are just red squares. I can paint on occlusion or other channels to the squares.

This is on a clean project in Unity 2017.2 with only VTP and the Standard Asset SpeedTrees. I saw the same results with my own trees in Unity 2017.1, but figured maybe Unity 2017.1 was the problem.

49. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Sorry for the lack of response here! But I'm glad you eventually figured it out.
    Regarding substances, we'll put up an example substance this evening and link it here and in the first post, hopefully this removes any confusion left about how to set up the outputs in SD.
    Edit: here is the link to a substance that we used in one of our promotional images with outputs for our metallic blend shader: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eqq14yhxm6fbx2c/AACeVlNP0SF0kNwecB3SiAdpa?dl=0

As of now the vertex colors can be animated, but it isn't yet in our API.

Due to GPU instancing this is the only way it works on terrain right now. However, you could achieve some variation by painting another prefab differently and use that as a seperate tree on your terrain.

Could you select the VTP Speedtree Leaf shader file in the Project window (Assets/Vertex Tools Pro/Shaders) and see if there are errors showing up in the inspector panel? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Marco-Sperling likes this.
  50. DMagic

DMagic

When selecting the VTP SpeedTree Leaf shader I get:

Unexpected identifier "o". Expected one of: ',' ';' on line 388

Commenting out "UNITY_APPLY_DITHER_CROSSFADE(i)" on line 384 (the previous line with code) seams to make it work. Adding a , or ; to the end of that line does not.

I didn't notice any immediately obvious artifacts by taking out that line. And I can paint on simple leaf color variations and alter translucency without problems.