Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Vegetation Studio

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

2. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

Whats the discord invite?

3. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Try to use the discord server for support requests and questions. I try to be online there when in the office.

Hi. As long as it is set up with a shader that supports instancing it should work.

Answered you on the discord server.

Hi. Vegetation Studio has its own run-time rendering code and needs to be compiled into the project. There is no system to transfer this to the Unity terrain but you can look at the SceneVegetationBaker component in the documentation. That can make GameObjects of the vegetation. You will loose any instancing benefits from Vegetation Studio but on a small scene it could still work.

Hi. Can you message me on discord. The only issue I can remember was one in editor only with animated materials turned on. Then unity kept redrawing some parts without a new "frame" to clear some old data.

Did we already talk on discord? Could you message me there ?

Hi. The render loop itself and spawning system works on the SRPs. The billboard system and included grass shader + heatmap preview does not.

I have been prototyping a redesigned billborard system and a general refactor to support "installing" the SRP you select. This requires bigger structure changes and would break projects in development if I add it to the current versions. My solution to this is to release a Vegetation Studio Pro 2020 version with SRP support (HD and Universal) and the standard render pipeline while bugfixing the current versions. Other bigger new features also planned for this.

Lennart

5. bizslava

bizslava

Hello!
    Where I can find this functional in current version of Vegetation Studio Pro?
    I need to send all hand placed vegetation prefabs and their positions from scene to the persistent vegetation storage package.

6. DeidreReay

DeidreReay

Hey trying to figure out how to get the floating origin anchor to work. There is no examples anywhere on the net that i can find nor in the documentation. Have reached out on discord to no avail. Can anyone help me out for a few minutes? Using Sectr and Vegetation Studio Pro. Everything else has the floating point fix working just fine except vegetation studio pro....

7. Kyldack

Kyldack

any update on this feature. i am trying to accomplish the same thing.

8. Feartheway

Feartheway

anyone help me? trying to figure out how to add sound fx and touch react to bushes

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Support request.

Hi. Please use the discord server for support requests and questions. I do not check the forums often.
    Since most of my requests come in the discord serve I try to keep it there.

Link in my sugnature.

Lennart

10. jimmygladfelter

jimmygladfelter

Hello Lennart,

I really am enjoying your asset with MapMagic 2. Found a null exception I fixed here though:

In PersistentVegetationStorage:
    See the 'START - Bug Fix' comment below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void AddVegetationItemInstance ( string vegetationItemID, Vector3 worldPosition, Vector3 scale, Quaternion rotation, bool applyMeshRotation, byte vegetationSourceID, float distanceFalloff, bool clearCellCache = false ) {
    2.             if ( !VegetationSystemPro || !PersistentVegetationStoragePackage )
    3.                 return;
    4.             Rect positionRect = new Rect(new Vector2(worldPosition.x, worldPosition.z), Vector2.zero);
    6.             VegetationItemInfoPro vegetationItemInfo = VegetationSystemPro.GetVegetationItemInfo(vegetationItemID);
    8.             // START - Bug Fix
    9.             // Check for null.
    10.             if ( vegetationItemInfo == null ) {
    11.                 return;
    12.             }
    13.             // END - Bug Fix
    15.             if ( applyMeshRotation ) {
    16.                 rotation *= Quaternion.Euler(vegetationItemInfo.RotationOffset);
    17.             }
    19.             List<VegetationCell> overlapCellList = new List<VegetationCell>();
    20.             VegetationSystemPro.VegetationCellQuadTree.Query(positionRect, overlapCellList);
    22.             for ( int i = 0; i <= overlapCellList.Count - 1; i++ ) {
    23.                 int cellIndex = overlapCellList[i].Index;
    24.                 if ( clearCellCache ) {
    25.                     VegetationItemIndexes indexes = VegetationSystemPro.GetVegetationItemIndexes(vegetationItemID);
    26.                     VegetationSystemPro.ClearCache(overlapCellList[i], indexes.VegetationPackageIndex, indexes.VegetationItemIndex);
    27.                 }
    28.                 PersistentVegetationStoragePackage.AddVegetationItemInstance(cellIndex, vegetationItemID, worldPosition - VegetationSystemPro.VegetationSystemPosition, scale, rotation, vegetationSourceID, distanceFalloff);
    29.             }
    30.         }

Duffer123 likes this.
  11. jimmygladfelter

jimmygladfelter

Sorry I meant to post this in the VS Pro section...might apply here too?

12. Glader

Glader

Is there an ETA for an upcoming solution to sampling Light Probes with instanced drawn objects? Such as rocks and such? Properly lighting complex scenes efficiently seems impossible without light probe support.

13. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

I just ran into this myself. I can somewhat make Veg. Studio Pro work with HDRP but run into the billboard issue - also lack of touch react. The billboard generation would be the huge time saver I am looking for at present. I'll pay for the newer version. Any progress updates?

14. Kalakaluu

Kalakaluu

Hi, if i Raise or Lower my Terrain, the Vegetation does not update to it and there are Trees and grass under the Terrain after editing. My grass is not updating too if i edit the Textures in editor. Did i miss something there?

15. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi again everyone.

If you have any support questions or want to come in contact with me directly use the Discord server.
    I try to be online when in the office. I not follow this forum thread regulary.

Link in my signature below.

Lennart

16. Unplug

Unplug

hello everyone, when i build the game (from unity 2017 LTS to windows 64 bit) all the vegetation doesnt load. Only the billboard display. I get i lot of ""Graphics.CopyTexture could not find source D3D11 texture object. Maybe it is a RenderTexture that is not created yet?"" which i dont know if it is related to it or not. I dont get any problem or error inside the editor... do i normally have to do anything for stored vegetation (not real time spawn)

17. nanditho

nanditho

I tried the Vegetation Studio Pro, but it threw error with

using UnityEngine.Experimental.PlayerLoop; error

can you elaborate why i keep get this?

Thanks

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

Which Unity version? Please show all the console errors. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with VSP.

19. nanditho

nanditho

Hi @Rowlan
    I use Unity 2019.4 LTS
    I can not show you the error since i just uninstall the VSP asset, been all day trying to figure out the solution, there is no forum talks about this error. so I just posted here.

The error occur in the script ScreenshotUtility.cs

when i checked the script, the script using the UnityEngine.Experimental.PlayerLoop; package

then i check with unity documentation for Unity 2019.4 LTS version. there is no section give me information about the UnityEngine.Experimental.PlayerLoop

I found the PlayerLoop.cs class is only in unity documentation for 2018 version and lower.

Here is the error log from the unity 2019.4 LTS:

Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudioPro\Runtime\Utility\ScreenshotUtility.cs(6,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'PlayerLoop' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Thanks you

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's been removed long time ago, you need to get the latest version from the asset store.

21. nanditho

nanditho

But I think my VSP is up to date, the latest version is 1.2.2 right?

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yes, latest is 1.2.2, but it definitely doesn't have that PlayerLoop import in the ScreenshotUtility class. I just installed everything the way you have it with the latest version from the asset store which is from 2nd March.

23. Unplug

Unplug

still didnt find a reason why all the vegetation doesnt show up in a build, but shows in the editor... no one help on forum and no one help on discord....

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

How many cameras do you have? And is the one you use in the build assigned in the VSP settings?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  25. Unplug

Unplug

Thanks for your help. The number of camera is the same in the "editor" than the build.... that couldn't explain why it is working in the editor play mode and not in the build. There is one camera for the compass and one deactivated camera for testing and one activated which is the only one with the tag maincamera. The main camera setting is on "autoselect" and it case of falling to find it, it fall into a hard coded link to the correct camera in the vegetation script because the camera is part of another scene which is loaded asynchroniously (before the level, so yes it exist)

It's probably not the camera the problem because the billboard show, and the grass show too. Only the tree/plant are not loading. I suspect that anything that does not spawn in real time and that is inside a vegetation package doesnt load.

26. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

You do have to add each camera though.
    But question, are you using Veg Studio or Veg Studio Pro? they both work differently with cameras.
    It does sound like a camera setting in VSP.
    With VS you need a separate veg system for each cam or it won’t show in the build.

27. Unplug

Unplug

i have the regular vegetation studio

One camera is a topdown camera for minimap that turn on/off depending on the character you are playing with, it only see a few selected object, excluding the vegetation. Why and how could I set 2 camera... i dont need both of them to see the tree. Again, the correct main camera still see the grass (real time spawn), which is to me a clear indicator that it is correctly setup and that the problem is with the package.

Can you tell me more ?

28. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I switched to VSP, when I could afford it, because of the ease of using multiple cameras.
    I'll have to look into it again and maybe someone else can jump into the conversation who knows more.

I remember that in order to use more cameras, you have to set up a VS for each camera and assign the camera in each.

I'll see if I can find any more details for you and get back with you here.

29. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I found this response on the issue doing a quick search in this forum for "multiple cameras" and there were a lot of results. This answer covers what you need to do.

This was from Lennart from a couple of years ago.
    "If you have multiple cameras you need to have one vegetation system per camera. (they can share a vegetation pakage) then set the render direct to camera on the render tab of each vegetation system. This way they only see the vegetation of the same camera."

This is the same way you set up multi terrains.

30. shawnblais

shawnblais

There's a reason to post in the forum, dischord is not really searchable, threads are very hard to follow etc.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Barritico and dsilverthorn like this.
  31. shawnblais

shawnblais

Its great for you, it's horrible for capturing the results of the issues, and surfacing the fixes to other users who might have the same issue. Forcing every paying user to spend more of their time searching or posting questions in Dischord.

Barritico and dsilverthorn like this.
  32. Unplug

Unplug

well first of all, i did ask for help on discord and received none. And the forum is still read by many user who can help me out.

secondo, i personally feel that developer should use the official unity forum and stop trowing us here and there just because they find it cool. What's next ? to get support please add me to facebook and subscribe to my youtube channel... quite annoying. For me, Discord is complicated, i prefer email and forum. call me oldschool

i do agree that searching 62 page of forum is quite complicated sometimes, but there are virtually no support anyone for a case like mine that is probably quite usual. im certainly not the first that is not able to see the tree in the build despite the camera being correctly set. Collider are there, grass show up, billboard show up, no tree, no plant. it make no sens and its impossible for me to troubleshoot an asset like that

dsilverthorn likes this.
  33. shawnblais

shawnblais

I agree with you, I accidentally typed 'server' instead of 'forum'

dsilverthorn and Unplug like this.
  34. Unplug

Unplug

got yah !
    i've been waiting for days for LEnnart, nothing work so far

EDIT: For everyone who is looking for the solution if they ever have the same problem.

Problem is describe as follow
    1. Everything work in editor, or editor player.
    2. In build some or all vegetation doesn't show up
    3. Collider object are there but not the object
    4. grass show up
    Solution
    1. make sure the shader are not stripped out of the build. Add them manually in a preloaded shader asset (for each type of tree/object). Double check your "stripping" setting in quality or player i don't remember which one.
    2. Make sure to test object if they can be direct instance or indirect instance. Indirect can be tested in editor in play mode. Object that can't won't show up or will follow camera

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  35. gitsU

gitsU

Hi, bought the asset yesterday and it has been working fine for the most part(the instanced indirect really ups the performance), but for whatever reason i cannot get the Persistent Vegetation System's painting tools to work, i followed the documentation and tried almost everything, but when i click onto an item, no brush ui shows in the terrain editor. Any idea why that happens?

36. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Not sure. But make sure Unity gizmos button is turned on, it prevents a lot of things like this in many assets. Top right on editor

37. dhruvrangar

dhruvrangar

hey i am also facing the same problem and i have .net 4.8 but i didn't understand you meant by compatibility with 4x can you please help me out?

38. chbran

chbran

good system. but can only handle 64 items or is this bug ? Can the pro version handle more items ? using 2019.4.17 LTS IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.UpdateVegetationInstanceLists () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem_VegetationLoader.cs:209) AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.ExecuteRenderVegetation (System.Boolean forceRender) (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1931) AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.Update () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1823)

39. jnbbender

jnbbender

So I've had this package for a while and just now getting around to using it. This along with Gaia is pretty sweet. Anyway, I have created a terrain but would just like to have a final terrain in my game. No Vegetation Studio system, etc. I found the Persistent Vegetation Storage but was wondering if I could just cook up 1 final terrain.

Thanks

40. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

41. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, does anyone know how to add HDRP to VSPro?

I just upgraded toi the latest but billboards still dont work.

I dont use discord so pease dont divert me there. Its just a og mess to me.

Thanks

42. koirat

koirat

@up You add VSPro to HDRP project not HDRP to VSPro.

@AwsomeTechnologies

Trees are missing elements:
    Unity3d 2020.2.6f
    Vegetation Studio 1.3.4.0

I add tree to Vegetation Items on a biome by dragging fbx on Treee "drop" place.
    My tree is made of core mesh and multiple branches (meshes) with leafs. It has two materials.
    Problem is LOD 0 is without leafs, only core trunk but in a far I can see that there are trees with the leafs on a LODX (or billboard).

43. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Using Unity 2020.3.1f VSPro doesnt load It was the same in 2019, any chance of a fix without going into that other godaweful discord site for support.

image_2021-03-24_162754.png

44. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

45. pixel_maniacs

pixel_maniacs

Thanks for the amazing work! I do have one tiny issue. I'd like to run a few tests on my Scene but when I start unity in batchmode with -nographics I do get this error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2.   at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationStudio.VegetationStudioManager.Instance_RemoveVegetationMask (AwesomeTechnologies.BaseMaskArea maskArea) [0x00051] in E:\Projects\EscapeTheLoop\ETL-Unity\Assets\Standard Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudioPro\Runtime\Manager\VegetationStudioManager_VegetationMasks.cs:52
    3.   at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationStudio.VegetationStudioManager.RemoveVegetationMask (AwesomeTechnologies.BaseMaskArea maskArea) [0x00026] in E:\Projects\EscapeTheLoop\ETL-Unity\Assets\Standard Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudioPro\Runtime\Manager\VegetationStudioManager_VegetationMasks.cs:20
    4.   at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationMaskArea.OnDisable () [0x0000f] in E:\Projects\EscapeTheLoop\ETL-Unity\Assets\Standard Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudioPro\Runtime\VegetationMasks\VegetationMaskArea.cs:92
    5. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Exit(Int32)
    6. UnityEditor.TestTools.TestRunner.CommandLineTest.ExitCallbacks:RunFinished(ITestResultAdaptor) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEditor.TestRunner\CommandLineTest\ExitCallbacks.cs:24)
    7. UnityEditor.TestTools.TestRunner.Api.<>c__DisplayClass8_0:<RunFinished>b__0(ICallbacks) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEditor.TestRunner\Api\CallbacksDelegator.cs:52)
    8. UnityEditor.TestTools.TestRunner.Api.CallbacksDelegator:TryInvokeAllCallbacks(Action`1) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEditor.TestRunner\Api\CallbacksDelegator.cs:122)
    9. UnityEditor.TestTools.TestRunner.Api.CallbacksDelegator:RunFinished(ITestResult) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEditor.TestRunner\Api\CallbacksDelegator.cs:52)
    10. UnityEditor.TestTools.TestRunner.Api.CallbacksDelegatorListener:RunFinished(ITestResult) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEditor.TestRunner\Api\CallbacksDelegatorListener.cs:15)
    11. UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1:Invoke(ITestResult)
    12. UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1:Invoke(ITestResult)
    13. UnityEngine.TestTools.TestRunner.<TestRunnerCoroutine>d__15:MoveNext() (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.test-framework@1.1.24\UnityEngine.TestRunner\TestRunner\PlaymodeTestsController.cs:76)
    14. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Is there any chance you could check if the editor is running in nographics mode?

46. wood333

wood333

I have a few easy questions. I am using VS 1.5.1 with Unity 2018.4.36, and considering going up to 1.5.5:

1. Can I import on top of 1.5.1 or do I remove before upgrade?

2. Will I lose my current setup of grass and trees?

3. Will I see any FPS improvement?

Thanks in advance for your advise and answers

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Make sure all your vegetation setups you created are in a separate folder from vegetation studio, It make overwrite them otherwise. I create a veg folder under main assets so I don’t have to worry about updates.
    I can’t answer to the rest of your questions.

wood333 likes this.
  48. wood333

wood333

I seem to have a single vegetation package in a folder titled Awesome Technologies Vegetation Package. I probably created this years ago following your docs or a tutorial. The Awesome Technologies folder is separate.

I seem to be good to go, but just to be safe I will wait until after my next project backup. Hard to believe I purchased VS 4 years ago.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Yeah. I have ruined several projects by adding an asset that I thought would do no harm. Always good to have a project backup.
    I've switched to VS Pro a while back, but I miss the standard features, but do like the biomes that Pro offers.
    Best of luck on your project!
    David

wood333 likes this.
  50. Wawwaa

Wawwaa

A little trailer... Note the foliage where available...

dan_wipf and dsilverthorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.