Search Unity

[RELEASED] Vegetation Studio

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Select the layer on the Render tab.

2. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I've been updating my project and have run into a strange problem. It is in VR and the grass and trees in the cameras immediate vicinity seam OK. The trees in the far distance seam OK. However, the plants in-between have disappeared, as I scan my head, the vegetation pops into place. If I am turning my head to the right, the plants are popping in from the left, If I am turning my head to the left, the plants that popped in disappear, if I turn far enough, the plants start popping in again but on the right. It is almost like Vegetation does not know which way the camera is facing and is removing vegetation where it thinks I am not looking. Any ideas of what I have done and how to fix it? Thanks

3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. That sounds a bit strange. Do you have the correct camera assigned. Vegetation Studio does culling based on that frustum. Could you have some other script controlling the camera also? That Unity overrides at the end of the frame with the VR tracking. VS Reads out the camera position earlier in the frame to be able to do loading and culling.

Lennart

4. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I had it set to autodetect. My camera/player is in one scene and I load in different environments depending on what the player chooses. It looks like VS is choosing the Camera(eyes) gameobject where the camera is actually located. If I manually change it to the parent (I think MainCamera(rig)) when running the game in the editor, it appears to work. Is there a way to assign the camera in a script? I am using an older version of SteamVR. VS used to work with my version of SteamVR. I'm not sure what changed. Thanks

5. Shadowing

Shadowing

After I bake my vegetation. which disables run time spawn on every vegetation object.
    Is there a way to undo this? With out going through and clicking on enable run time spawn on every object?
    I need to make some changes to my terrain textures and I need to add run time spawn back.

6. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Check at the top of the plant settings, just past the list of vegetation icons (trees, grass, etc.) and there should be a new check box to enable all.
    At least that is what I remember. I think it was added a while back just for this reason.

7. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks @dsilverthorn
    Idk i can't find it.
    plant settings?
    You mean Settings? I have pro version.

I checked all 11 tabs.
    There is a disable persistent storage check box under Stored Vegetation tab. That just disables it though.

8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

can I use vegetation studio on a simple plane instead of a terrain?
    Can I use it on both PC and Smartphone (Android, iOS but from latest three years Maybe) then?

Thanks a lot :)

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Vegetation Studio Pro has support for mesh terrains. You can create a vitrual terrain from one or more meshes/Meshrenderers

If the mobile devices support Shader Model 5.0 and compute shaders it should work. But remember instancing gives you better speed since it can render multiple instances of a mesh faster. Mobile GPUs can handle much less and you would get a smaller speed benefit with less instances.

Lennart

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I think that button was only added on standard VS. If you clear the entire storage there should be an option to enable all the items for run-time spawn but that does not work if you have manually painted vegetation and want to keep that.

Lennart

11. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Sorry I have the standard version. Looks like they have a different set up.
    Maybe they can work that button into pro?

12. Sam512

Sam512

Hi, there!
    Does it support Advanced Terrain Grass and make grass interact with player? And does it support Xbox One and PS4? (Unity 2018.3.9f1)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  13. Sam512

Sam512

Hey, grass doesn't look natural. It's like a grass farm instead. I've tried perlin noise and rotation. It doesn't do the job for me at all. What should I do? (Mesh Grass) You doný reply me on discord

Attached Files:

JamesArndt likes this.
  14. Krytecks

Krytecks

Hello, i cant make the billboard's shadow to work, i have the lastest version of VS and unity 2019.1.4f1, in billboard system billboard shadows is checked, and i didnt disable shadows anywhere, i have set vegetation distance to 100, tree 100, and my unity shadow should render to 500, but billboards dont generate shadows ... :(

And another problem, if i make 3d normal billboard, i have a strange square like that around billboards,
    this problem only happen with 3d billboard, on normal billboard if i am on top of billboard, but if i go with a lower angle they are "normal"

You can see billboard in the circle are very black, but the other are not that black ( that is their normal color )

Thanks for your help ! :oops:

15. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello Is there planned any update of Vegetation Studio in this year? Cause since 8 months there was any update, I'm just curious if there are planned any?

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There is a new update ready in a few weeks.

Lennart

17. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Could you message me on the discord server. Lets debug.

Lennart

18. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Awesome to hear that ;) !

19. rmon222

rmon222

Hi, First, I just wanted to share. After a few hours pulling hair I found out that VS Pro object must be at Vector3.zero. Otherwise the vegetation cells keep shifting each time you go into play mode.

Also, I'm getting this warning. Is this a concern?
    JobDebugger dependency chain exceeds 5000 and is too expensive to validate.
    Use JobHandle.Complete() to break up deep dependency chains or disable the C# Job Debugger.
    Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobsUtility:Schedule_Injected(JobScheduleParameters&, JobHandle&)
    Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobsUtility:Schedule(JobScheduleParameters&)
    Unity.Jobs.IJobExtensions:Schedule(MergeCellInstancesJob, JobHandle) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Jobs/Managed/IJob.cs:37)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro:Update() (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Runtime/VegetationSystemPro/VegetationSystemPro.cs:663)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  20. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. It should not have to be in 0,0,0 but if you move it run-time without assigning an floating origin anchor it will move the vegetation with the VegetationSystemPro component.

You can ignore that message. Or turn of the job debuger in the menu.

Also. There is a separate forum thread for Vegetation Studio Pro.

Lennart

21. oceanq

oceanq

Is it possible to bake tree shadows into a lightmap?

Thanks,
    Ocean

22. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a SceneVegetationBaker component. You can probably use that to temporary add the trees to the scene as static lightmaps. Then bake the shadowmaps and delete the tree gameobjects.

Lennart

JBR-games likes this.
  23. oceanq

oceanq

That did the trick, thank you!

24. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

How do I setup VS for cinemachine cameras?
    Do I need a vs setup for each virtual camera?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  25. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks!

Anyone?

26. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks!

Anyone?
    Where did everybody go?

I keep searching for info or tutorials on compatibility, but have only found one user in this forum stating that they had integrated, but not how.

Has anyone had success with Cinemachine and Vegetation Studio standard?
    When I run CM none of my trees show up, I must be doing something wrong. I've set up the main camera with VS and the virtual camera are using the main camera. Using latest 2018 release, but now trying to decide if I need another solution.

27. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Try the discord channel. Easy to get some fast feedback there.

You can call VegetationStudioManager.SetCamera before triggering the cinemachine with the camera the cinemachine moves. Make sure you disable other move scripts on the camera than the cinemachine.

Lennart

dsilverthorn and dan_wipf like this.
  28. p_hergott

p_hergott

It seems like no matter what i do, i cant get indirect instancing to work on anything but grass...

29. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Cool
    Thanks
    I knew there was a way

30. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello will be there any bigger update of Vegetation Studio? After 6 months without any update I expected something more than 3 small fixes ...?That update only fix things in 2019.1 dont fix older bugs or problems. My question is will be there any updates that fix old problems, or add some fuctionality, or next updates will be like only adding support to next version of unity?

Maybe some payable upgrade, for us it would be great to pay for upgrade even 50-100$ to get what should there be like smooth billboard dither, or smooth crossfade beetween speedtree trees when using instancing indirect. or better interface to place edit or choose plants manually. Or even option to automatically load to ram memory all vegetation items, in dynamic way, cause for now it is only possible to bake it before gameplay, FOr now with more htatn 40 vegetation items that is impossible to have smooth camera movement without huge drop of fps, because cells are loading. I imagine that it could be done by code but it would be great to have such an option by defeault.

Is there any purpose to install VS new udpate wif we are using unity 2018.2 ?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

32. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No. That is not needed to update for 2018.x.

I will look at the speedtree indirect lodfade, see if the code from VS Pro fits the structure in standard VS.

Lennart

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Unite Copenhagen.

Hi. I will be at Unite in Copenhagen next week. Sent me a message if you are there and want to have a talk.

Lennart

RayAustCEC and Jakub_Machowski like this.
  34. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

That sound awesome it there would be possibility to implement that :) Also really please consider making payable update of standard Vegetation Studio too :)

35. EHG_Unity

EHG_Unity

Hey there, we are looking to disconnect the CTS profile for performance gains but when we do Vegetation Studios doesn't render the vegetation any longer. Does anyone have a work around here?

36. DDDimanN79

DDDimanN79

Greetings! I use the LoadSceneAsync method to transition between levels. I noticed that MaskAreas from the unloaded level remain phantom in the newly loaded level. They are not physically in the loaded scene, but they act on the grass and trees removing them, as it was in the previous level.

37. wood333

wood333

I have been using Vegetation Studio since about when it was released. It worked great in my Unity 5 project. Recently I have upgraded my project to Unity 2018.3.6f1, and the terrain Vegetation Studio component in the inspector shows no trees defined. The trees are in the project folder, and on play or "start all vegetation systems" the trees and grass appear as expected. (The grass details still show in the inspector.) Do I have a version issue? Should I be concerned? Also, the speedtrees stopped moving with the wind, which I think is a speedtree issue. I have contacted them on this.

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Not seen anyone with that problem. Could you message me on the discord server. We can look more at it.

Lennart

39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The MaskAreas should remove themself when unloaded. You should only have one VegetationStudioManager loaded at any time. Maybe you have one in each scene? That could mess up things a bit.

Lennart

40. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Vegetation Studio does not really care about how the terrain renders, but CTS has a feature where it strips the splatmaps from the terrain. If that is done terrain texture include and exclude rules will not work anymode.

Vegetation Studio needs this data.

Could that be your case?

Lennart

41. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, I added trees from the Tropical Forest pack that use the CTI shaders. But they crash the build so cant use those shaders. Is there a way to get them to work with VSPro and another shader.

I ask because with the CTI shader the trees are in an hurricane, and with the wind turned off on the shader the trees stand still when spawned through VSPro, theyre just awkward to work with.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

42. RayAustCEC

RayAustCEC

I am just working on similar situation, and want to keep the small part that an artist painted while regenerating the rest of the vegetation on the map (some part changed to ocean from land). I thought I saw a description of one button removing only the original Baked vegetation, and another button removing the Painted set. Is there any functionality that allows for this? I've checked the documentation via the component 'help icon' link but can't even see what the current buttons do differently to each other.

edit: Experimenting, I'm on Pro and just realised this is the original package thread, but also found the buttons for Clear ALL BAKED work as I was hoping, and it prompts me for re-enabling Runtime Rules on the cleared items. (perfecto)

Thanks,
    Don

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  43. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I'm having an issue where the billboards are a distinctly different color. I've tried trees from a few different sources so I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong in Vegetation Studio. Thanks

44. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I believe you can change the billboard colors under the Vegetation Settings for each tree. Im just loading my project so Il take a look and edit below when I know the exact position. I know because I did it a few weeks ago.

45. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Yes, its in each tree settings under Billboard. You can choose a TINT COLOR.

GoesTo11 likes this.
  46. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Thanks, though I can't really get a suitable tint for one of my trees (it isn't listed as Vegetation Studio compatible).

Is there a way to remove Vegetation Studio from the scene? I tried deleting it but I still can't paint the trees on the terrain or use the Gaia spawner.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  47. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Sorry, I wouldnt know that. But I would think that removing VS from the scene then adding your trees into the Gaia resources file so that it is available as a spawn object should allow the spawn. And that adding the same trees into unity as normal that the trees should be paintable into the terrain. But I wouldnt know what would stop that happening because it most likely would work? I'm no expert but I try, hope you get it sorted.

48. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi, I'm trying to add scale fade support with Vegetation Studio, for my shaders but without success so far.
    The shader is just a simple surface shader made with Amplify. I added the directives:
    upload_2019-10-29_13-30-13.png

I also tested your grass shaders, one of them is working "AwesomeTechnologies/Grass/Grass-wind-r" the other "AwesomeTechnologies/Grass/Grass-wind-a" is not. If I rename the first one, it stops working.

Is there a list where I need to add the shader? Or do I need to set up something? Using Unity 2019.2.6

Thanks!

49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

Can you contact me on the discord server? Easier to explain on a text chat.

50. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Support

Hi everyone. Try to use the discord server for support questions. I try to be online there every day during weekdays. Also a good community in general to ask questions. Forum questions might take a bit more time.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.