Search Unity

[RELEASED] Vegetation Studio

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I am not 100% sure what you are trying to do. But if you create a vegetation package with all your rules for vegetation you can use the same package in other scenes. Just drag and drop it on the vegetation system component.

Lennart

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is quite a few big differences in the structure of Vegetation Studio Pro to support multi terrains, the job system and 3rd party shader settings. You will have to set up the VegetationSystem components and vegetation packages again.

I will see if could be possible to do a partial import of rules and instances from the persistent storage. Not started to look at this part yet.

Lennart

3. UnityUserTDS

UnityUserTDS

Ok Lennart I'v tried this method but It seems tha persistant vegetation storage doesn't refresh properly.

I get that following issue :

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AwesomeTechnologies.UnityTerrainData..ctor (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, Boolean readTerrainBuffers, Boolean readDetailData) (at Assets/VEGETATION_STUDIO/VegetationStudio/Common/TerrainData/UnityTerrainData.cs:177)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.SetupTerrainData () (at Assets/VEGETATION_STUDIO/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1335)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.SetupVegetationSystem () (at Assets/VEGETATION_STUDIO/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:539)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.ExecuteChecklist (Boolean calledFromSetupVegetationSystem) (at Assets/VEGETATION_STUDIO/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:510)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.OnRenderObject () (at Assets/VEGETATION_STUDIO/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1688)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

4. nathanjams

nathanjams

Hi, Lennart

Previously you mentioned that it was possible to integrate Unity's Occulsion Culling. I tried to get this working but with no success. Is there any chance you give some more info on how you achieved this?

Thanks in advance
    Nathan

Dorian-Dowse likes this.
  5. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

HD render pipeline is out for Unity 2018.2, I was wondering when it is possible for vegetation studio to shift those grass to those shader along with support of instancing.

6. mtGameDev

mtGameDev

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationStorage.AddVegetationItemInstanceEx (System.String vegetationItemID, Vector3 worldPosition, Vector3 scale, Quaternion rotation, Byte vegetationSourceID, Single minimumDistance, Boolean clearCellCache) (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/PersistentVegetationStorage/PersistentVegetationStorage.cs:164)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationStudio.VegetationStudioManager.AddVegetationItemInstanceEx (System.String vegetationItemID, Vector3 worldPosition, Vector3 scale, Quaternion rotation, Byte vegetationSourceID, Single minimumDistance, Boolean clearCellCache) (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/Common/VegetationStudioManager_StorageAPI.cs:207)
    AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.AddVegetationItem (Vector3 worldPosition, Vector3 terrainNormal, System.String vegetationItemID, Single sampleDistance) (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/PersistentVegetationStorage/Editor/PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.cs:1170)
    AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.PaintVegetationItems (Vector3 hitPosition, Boolean addVegetationItems) (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/PersistentVegetationStorage/Editor/PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.cs:1101)
    AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.OnSceneGUIPaintVegetation () (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/PersistentVegetationStorage/Editor/PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.cs:1051)
    AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Packages Contents/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/PersistentVegetationStorage/Editor/PersistentVegetationStorageEditor.cs:879)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2596)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1909)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1746)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:291)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:284)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:251)

7. mtGameDev

mtGameDev

is the problem solved ?
    we are working on a big project and really need to solve this problem fast.
    thanks.

8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Got your pm also. I will look at it when back to the office tomorrow.
    I might need an example project to replicate the error.

Lennart

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The SRPs are still in preview. The last time I checked there was no support for instanced indirect rendering. They also change between every release. When they are out of preview I will start looking at support.

Lennart

10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You need one persistent storage per terrain. The Vegetation Package can be used on multiple terrains at the same time.

Lennart

11. mtGameDev

mtGameDev

ok thanks.

I also tested previous version of vegetation studio, there isn't any problem in Paint.
    I think you'r new version has this bug.
    In new version, when i assign a new Storage asset, all of vegetation objects remove from terrain. But in previous version, there isn't any problem in this section.

but another problem that solved in new version is water problem.
    when i place unity water pro day/night, vegetation gives me red errors. ( in previous version )
    thanks for solve this problem in new version.
    but we really need to solve painting problem.

12. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

For some reason using 3D patched billboard LOD, the instanced indirect doesn't seems to work, drawcall goes up by 100s, but then I switch to instanced direct the drawcall went down.

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. If your vegetation on the terrain is baked it should dissapear when you add a new PersistentStorage. This is where the vegetation is stored. The new storage does not have any instances to render.

I am trying to replicate the error you got. Do you have multiple terrains in the scene? Could it be that only one of these was started?

Lennart

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Can you send me a pm with some more info. Unity version, platform? (windows?) What shader? Forward/deferred? Multiple lights etc? Let us debug to see what could have happend.

Lennart

15. franky_li

franky_li

Hi Lennart,

what is the wetness slider in your grass shader for, it seems to do nothing? I would like to make foliage wet when it rains, how can I archive this?

Frank

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It was added as part of a test to pass a global wetness and snow amount setting to all shaders. Idea was to have common user settings and all shaders, even 3rd party would get this settings.

There is no wetness functionality in any of the shaders now.

Lennart

17. Harekelas

Harekelas

Repost:
    Got some performance peak working with VS and MapMagic (when new terrain tiles are set enabled by mapmagic)

Anyone got any optimization suggestions?

18. franky_li

franky_li

You could add a global shader variable to your grass shaders, so all foliages using it will change wetness with one call, then there is no need to have a setting in each material.

19. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I added a shader controller class system for Vegetation Studio Pro. Where 3rd party shaders can create a class that implements an interface. These are detected run-time with reflection to allow other assets to include their own.

These classes can do 2 things.
    • Expose UI and settings to the Vegetation System inspector and serialize these in the vegetation package.
    • Manage material setup. Each class gets an event with an environment settings object where it can translate these settings to its own shader variables. if it implements any of these.
    I am looking at using the same system with standard Vegetation Studio, but the problem is that it will reset current vegetation studio grass settings and speedtree settings since the serialization for this is done different.
    I do not want to loose any settings for existing projects...

Lennart

20. mtGameDev

mtGameDev

Please check you'r conversations. thanks.

21. AlexLTS

AlexLTS

Hello.I am about to buy vegetation studio for my in development game and I was thinking what's the difference between VS and GeNa ? From what I see those are both spawning systems.

22. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Both Vegetation Studio and GeNa can set up rules for spawning vegetation. The biggest difference is that Vegetation Studio is a rendering system. It replaces all the tree and detail rendering from the Unity Terrain and uses the new Instancing and Instanced Indirect APIs to optimize vegetation rendering.

I think Adam is working on a Vegetation Studio integration for GeNa to feed instances direct to the Persistent Storage of Vegetation Studio.

Lennart

AlexLTS likes this.
  23. Crossway

Crossway

What should I do if I need a specified tree on a specified spot? Can VS do that?

24. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You can create a PersistentVegetationStorage system. Where you create a storage package that can hold vegetation. When this is added you have a manual paint system, API for adding instances and a bake functionality for baking rules and storing the instanced. When baked they can be manually edited.

Have a look here for more info.

When in the storage you can even get move handles for trees and rocks.

and paint with a brush.

Lennart

Crossway likes this.
  25. XOA_Productions

XOA_Productions

Managed to create huge crop fields by importing the crops as trees, thus taking advantage of the billboarding. (Billboard system needs to be baked if you want to still use instanced indirect for some reason, otherwise they won't show up in play mode)
    crops.PNG

One question: Is there a way to make the baked billboards behave a little more like the actual grass instances in terms of lighting? I'm using the specular grass shader by nature manufacture, and there is quite the disparity between the crop billboards and instances in some lighting scenarios. (Billboards are too bright in light and too dark in shadows)

Regards,
    Ben

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  26. StevanJay

StevanJay

How do I stop vegetation spawning on top of other vegetation (one type of tree spawning on top of another for example). I can make masks to stop vegetation spawning inside collision I`ve already placed, but how do I do that for other vegetation spawned by Vegetation Studio...?

Thx!

27. lo-94

lo-94

Hey, just recently purchased your asset. Getting some weird behavior with the touch react. So it works, but for some reason on play it doesn't... Unity 2018.1.1f1 and am using it in parallel with CTS. I find that it works if I hit play and then move the Affected Area slider on the Touch React System script. Any idea why this might be happening?

28. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, is there a way to set the collider tag to the prefab, my game reallys on tags for impact effects, and the trees (wood) and rocks are using same default fx

The Prefabs tags are all set correct and refreshed prefab for vs manager

Thanx Jim

29. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I am back in the office tomorrow and will answer all the questions.

Lennart

30. ice2011

ice2011

Hi :)
    I recently bought Red Desert pack by SilverTM, in hopes it would be compatible with VS but sadly only "normal" rendering is compatible. Is there any way around this to get instanced indirect rendering? I followed the directions needed in Vegetation Studios instanced indirect implementation forum with a cginc file included in the Vegetation Studio sub shader folder with the additional three lines of code included below.

Line 1: instancing_options procedural:setup
    Line 2: multi_compile GPU_FRUSTUM_ON __

Line 3: VS_indirect.cginc

Source: https://github.com/AwesomeTechnologies/Vegetation-Studio-Instanced-Indirect

Thanks for your time in advance!
    Regards, ice2011

31. ice2011

ice2011

@LennartJohansen
    In the reference photo, you can see the outlines of the rock within the terrain but unfortunately, they don't seem to be coming in right.

Attached Files:

32. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There is no setting to set the tags on colliders created by the collider system, but it is easy to make a small script that does this.

Have a look at the bottom of the page here.

you can listen to the void OnCreateCollider(Collider collider) event and then set the collider.GameObject.Tag to what you need. The colliders gameobject has a VegetationInstanceInfo script that has the info you need to decide what VegetationItem it is.

Lennart

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Not really. This should work direct without an update to the slider. Does the touch react work in the demo scene?
    Using CTS should not affect it at all.

Lennart

34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

1. I will have a look at instanced indirect and billboards. I expect the reason is beacuse trees does not yet support instanced indirect and the rendering is skipped early in the render loop.

Could you set up a simple demo scene for me with just a field and the shaders and I can see what I can do? Send me the link as a pm.

Lennart

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The code in github is to add instanced indirect support to shaders that already support instancing.

Most shaders (surface shaders) upgrade to support instancing automatic. Other shaders need to manually add a few settings to the shader.

Have a look here for how to include it.
    Easiest is probably to ask the asset develper to add it. If he want I can help him test changes.

Lennart

36. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. For trees there is a collision detection checkbox on each vegetation item. This will enable tree collision detection. Enable it on the trees you want.

Lennart

StevanJay and brettj like this.
  37. lo-94

lo-94

It was actually only in the demo scene. I deleted the touch assets from the scene and re-added them and that seemed to fix it.

LennartJohansen likes this.
  38. lawsochi

lawsochi

happened, on the road map 2018.3.0 there was a mention of SpeedTree 8 support :) I hope that you will not need much work to support SpeedTree 8 in Vegetation Studios, and have you tried this already? very very beautiful look new trees))

39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I have not had the chance to test but my guess is that it will be easy to support. Just some small changes to get wind sampled properly.

Lennart

40. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update.

Hi. I will submit an update to Vegetation Studio to Asset Store today.
    It contains some GUI changes. Vegetation Items has a filter based on vegetation type now.
    There is also a list of fixes and changes.

Improvements
    • Added a mode to render all shadows in shadow culling.
    • Added speedtree LODFade calculation for Unity 2018.2
    • Added a Vegetation Type selector to the vegetation item list.

Changes
    • Added ClearCache(Bounds) function to the BillboardSystem
    • Include/exclude texture rules now support 32 texures on the terrain.
    • Added option on MapMagic component to add vegetation system based on names of child object of the generated terrain.

Fix
    • Added fix for more than 64 items not rendering instanced
    • Fix for missing compute shader error on 2018.2. Could happen on empty cells
    • Fix for vegetation items in the persistent storage not masked by vegetation masks if UseVegetationMask was enabled.
    • Fix for potential error when painting manuallaly and one or more terrains was not started.
    • Fix for artifact in top of billboards. Needs billboard regeneration.
    • Fix for instanced indirect rendered objects getting bad lighting with lightprobes in scenes.
    Lennart

Dorian-Dowse likes this.
  41. Pecek

Pecek

Is there any ETA for collider pooling yet? A few months ago I reported unplayable framerates(>250ms) every time when I enter a new zone, for the time being my "workaround" was to disable colliders completely but this is obviously less than ideal.
    Also how much will the upgrade to pro costs?

42. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Hello, I've earned Vegetation Studio for free from the August promotion 4 days ago.

How can I sign up for the pro version since I can't seem to find any invoice related to my voucher code or I can't sign up at all?

Thanks.

43. Bodyclock

Bodyclock

Actually I'm in the same situation, so I have the same question. There is a record of the purchase on my account, but no invoice as such. I would very much like to have an upgrade path to Pro. :)

Cheers

Chris

WinterboltGames likes this.
  44. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

As
    Awsome Thank You, works perfectly. This is what I did;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using AwesomeTechnologies;
    5. using AwesomeTechnologies.Colliders;
    6. using AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation;
    9. public class Jims_VSSetColliderTag : MonoBehaviour
    10. {
    11.     [Header("VS Settings")]
    12.     public ColliderSystem colliderSystem = null;
    13.     public delegate void MultiCreateColliderDelegate(Collider collider);
    14.     public MultiCreateColliderDelegate OnCreateColliderDelegate;
    16.     [Header("Tag Settings")]
    17.     public string TreeTag = "";
    18.     public string LargeObjectsTag = "";
    19.     public string ObjectsTag = "";
    20.     public string PlantTag = "";
    21.     public string GrassTag = "";
    24.     void Start()
    25.     {
    26.         if(colliderSystem != null)
    27.             colliderSystem.OnCreateColliderDelegate += OnCreateCollider;
    28.     }
    29.     void OnCreateCollider(Collider collider)
    30.     {
    31.         VegetationItemInstanceInfo VSInfo = collider.GetComponent<VegetationItemInstanceInfo> ();
    32.         switch (VSInfo.VegetationType) {
    33.         case VegetationType.Tree:
    34.             {
    35.                 collider.gameObject.tag = TreeTag;
    36.             }
    37.                 break;
    38.         case VegetationType.LargeObjects:
    39.             {
    40.                 collider.gameObject.tag = LargeObjectsTag;
    41.             }
    42.                 break;
    43.         case VegetationType.Objects:
    44.             {
    45.                 collider.gameObject.tag = ObjectsTag;
    46.             }
    47.                 break;
    48.         case VegetationType.Plant:
    49.             {
    50.                 collider.gameObject.tag = PlantTag;
    51.             }
    52.                 break;
    53.         case VegetationType.Grass:
    54.             {
    55.                 collider.gameObject.tag = GrassTag;
    56.             }
    57.                 break;
    58.         }
    59.     }
    60. }

HXCMAN and LennartJohansen like this.
  45. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

@LennartJohansen I have set up the vegetation system, added grass, trees and stuff then built the game to for android and after I start the grass and other stuff doesn't show up but they do in the editor

46. rasto61

rasto61

What graphics api? VS requires SM 4.5+

47. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

both OpenGL versions in unity and Vulkan on Oppo F7

48. brettj

brettj

Loving the LOD fading. But I noticed when transition to billboards, the billboard is loaded in with the mesh, so they overlap for a small distance. Is this fixable? Or better yet, any chance for a fading transition to billboards?

49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I will have a look at the distance. It should be the same but might be some rounding issue. Plan is to add a dither fade in/out on the billboards. I also have some other improvements I added in the Pro beta I will port back soon.

Lennart

brettj likes this.
  50. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I would start with setting the rendering mode on all the Vegetation Items to Instanced and turn off the compute shader on the Render Tab. Instanced indirect with compute shaders requires Shader Model 5.0.

Send me a pm and we can try to debug a bit. Or join the Discord channel and message me there. Easier with a text chat.

Lennart

WinterboltGames likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.