Search Unity

[RELEASED] Vegetation Studio

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You can turn this on to make sure the trees does not spawn in the same location as other trees. Trees are spawned from rules and in some cases they could end up in the same location.
    This internal grid in the cells will eliminate this.

Lennart

2. one_one

one_one

Right, so not relevant with baked vegetation, I assume. For run-time spawning: are these colliders active at all times or just during a spawning phase?

3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

This is not colliders. What we do is have an internal grid in each cell where spawned trees register. Trees always spawn in the same order to make sure results stay the same and new potential trees are tested against this grid as part of the spawning process.

If you have a combination of baked trees and real-time spawned the baked trees will all register on the grid before any run-time spawned trees are added.

Lennart

one_one likes this.
  4. mattis89

mattis89

I just wanted to say that all my optimization issues and vegetation dont spawn fast enough when I turn around is GONE.. I installed 2x SSD and a GTX 1060 yesterday (unity have never been this fast and my game feels like AAA).. Anyone with a build FPS counter? I want to see what I have here :) Now I can finnish my game!

LennartJohansen likes this.
  5. txarly

txarly

Hey, i have this problem with the billboard trees.There are some artifacts or black lines over them.Any idea how to solve this?Some grass textures have the same problem

Thanks in advance

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-29 18.51.02.png

6. mattis89

mattis89

try to increase the shadow bias in your directional light

7. txarly

txarly

thanks mattis89 but doesn´t work :(

8. MaxWitsch

MaxWitsch

Hi,
    I think i found a bug. When you spawn Large-Objects with instanced indirect, it does not generate any colliders for them.
    I tried all types of colliders but... nope.

In Edit mode it work as it should, and colliders are generated.

mattis89 and llJIMBOBll like this.
  9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Thanks for catching that. I will make a fix. The instances for instanced indirect is stored in a different way and the colliders system did not get them in the event.

Lennart

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. It looks like an issue with the texture repeating. I will have a look at it. As a possible workaround try to change the billboard mode to 3D. That will sample from the top also and probably not end out with the same uv wrap issue. You can find this on the billboard setting on each vegetation item. Rendering speed will be the same.

Lennart

11. txarly

txarly

Changing to 3d didn´t do nothing.I played a bit with the alpha cut and is a bit better, but still is visible.

12. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello.

This asset appears to be the perfect one for vegetation, but I have 2 questions. And I would be glad if you answer them.
    1) Is there already a built-in script or feature that makes it possible for the asset to support World Streamer? If no, would you please provide us an example to make WorldStreamer work with this asset?.
    2) Is there a feature to limit painting a terrain based on terrain heightmap and splat map?.
    Best.

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

1. Depending a bit on how you use world streamer you do this several ways.
    • You duplicate the vegetationsystem object, one for each terrain and move it as a child of each terrain. Then assign the terrain on the component. The Vegetation System object will then load with the terrain from the scene and enable.
    • Another option is to assign the vegetation system object/component run-time. this can work if you only want procedural vegetation. Vegetation masks for roads and houses will still work. You then hook on to the https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene.html Event and search for any terrain in the new scene. Then instantiate a vegetationSystem object you made a prefab for and assign the terrain
    2. The procedural spawning of vegetation can use terrain steepness, height and splatmaps as rules for the spawning.
    For manual painting you can also use the height and steepness rules. Just enable the checkbox as seen on the image below. It will then use the steepness and height rules set on the vegetation item.

Lennart

imDanOush likes this.
  14. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! I have a question. I have to fool unitys resource file limit so is it possible to load vegetation system game object from another scene? Its so hard to explain but maybe you are familiar with this! I split up my scene on many scenes... Houses is one scene, terrain is one, vegetation is one..

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  15. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

From Asset Bundles would be awesome, or a way to load materials from bundles.

mattis89 likes this.
  16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I think this should work good. Just add the vegetation system to a different scene and load the scene additive.

This should also work. Save the vegetation models, textures and materials to a asset bundle with the vegetation package. The vegetation package holds a reference to the models. Then load the package and assign to a vegetation system.

Lennart

mattis89 and llJIMBOBll like this.
  17. Cramonky

Cramonky

I'm having this same issue, Lennart mentioned texture repeating so I manually changed the billboard textures' wrap mode from Repeat to Clamp and this seemed to fix the artifacts, but it also causes some of my billboards to disappear when viewing from certain angles.

18. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I can try to fix the missing billboards if you set it to clamp.

Lennart

19. mattis89

mattis89

hey lennart =)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.UpdateVegetationInstanceLists () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1325)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.ExecuteRenderVegetation (Boolean forceRender) (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1979)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.Update () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudio/VegetationSystem/VegetationSystem.cs:1876)

that happend when I added angrymesh rocks..

20. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.
    I will send you a pm to look at what happens.

Lennart

21. txarly

txarly

i change to clamp,the artifacts disappear,(grass too) but the same problem,some billboards appear and disappear depending the view.Is easy to fix the billboards?

22. mattis89

mattis89

Ah I encountered the same thing yesterday, I sent a PM bout it. When will you have a fix?

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The fix is done. It will be on the next update. I will try to submit the next couple of days.

Lennart

llJIMBOBll, Mark_01 and mattis89 like this.
  24. GingerDr73

GingerDr73

Hi,
    I just got the bug the mattis89 did, glad to hear a fix is on the way. Before I got this error though encountered the following error just in builds. Running 2017.1

Platform assembly: F:\CloudBackup\Projects\Uni Sierra 19 - Sem 7\Uni ExpGameDes\Builds\59\10\ArtySwirlyColourful_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.TextureMaskTypeManager.<InitTextureMaskTypes>m__0 (System.Reflection.Assembly x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[System.Reflection.Assembly,System.Type].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[System.Type].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[System.Type,System.Object].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.TextureMaskTypeManager.InitTextureMaskTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.TextureMaskTypeManager..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.TextureMaskTypeManager.ValidateInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.TextureMaskTypeManager.GetTypeFromMaskTypeID (System.String textureMaskTypeID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.RefreshTextureMasks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.SetVegetationPackage (Int32 index, Boolean resetCullingGroup) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.SetupVegetationSystem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.Enable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    (Filename: Line: -1)

I saw the references to texture masks - I'm using a couple of those for guiding the grass, dunno if that helps at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

25. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Can you send me a pm with some more info about your setup? Windows/mac? what target platform. .net target version etc. The texture mask classes are loaded with reflection, to allow for 3rd party mask format. seems related to that.

Lennart

Edit: Setting the Api compatibility level from .Net 2.0 Subset to .Net 2.0 fixes this compile issue with reflection.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    GingerDr73 likes this.
  26. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

hello everyone.
    I just install the Vegetation Studio package, and i don't see any vegetation studio in the Window menu.
    I have Unity 2017.4.0f1.

Thx for any answer.

27. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Sent you a pm.

Edit: It was a conflict with another asset having a Tools class without a namespace hiding the UnityEditor.tools class. Added a workaround for the next update.

Lennart

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  28. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update

Hi. I am preparing an update. I will try to submit tomorrow or the day after. Still trying to get in some more changes.

Lennart

Improvements
    • Speedtree vertex LODFade is now working on Unity 2018.1+
    • Added LightProbeUtility to extract lighting components from SphericalHarmonicsL2
    • Trees and objects can now be painted on the peristent storage.
    • Max radius on painting tool increased.
    • Max sample distance on painting tool increased
    • Grass meshes generated with the GrassPatchGenerator now supports the wind in the HD.Lit shader of the HD SRP
    • Added single and Quadoption for billboard atlas (1x1 and 4x1)
    • Added a Gaia extention to easy add Vegetation Studio to scenes with Gaia terrain.
    Changes
    • Increased perlin noise max value to 500
    Fixes
    • Fixed error when trying to paint with an empty vegetation package.
    • Fix for washed out billboards in Linear mode on 2018.1
    • Fixed material refresh when changing some spawn rules not syncing accross multiple vegetation systems
    • Fix for computeshader link error on OpenGL on Windows.
    • Added fix for curve labels in wrong color on light skin.
    • Colliders now work for instanced indirect rendered vegetation items
    • Fix for error in Amplify Editor node for touch bend
    • Added workaround for another asset hiding the UnityEngine.Tools class

FargleBargle, blitzvb, spso and 2 others like this.
  29. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @LennartJohansen . Has the colliders for Instanced indirect trees been fixed for the latest update? Also what would suggest is the best way to have a area around each tree spawned be blank (i.e. no grass directly around trees or just a specific type)

30. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. the colliders for instanced indirect included. It is there in the fix list...

One option to is to make a exclude texture mask for the grass. Add colliders to the trees with the radius you wan to remove grass. Then bake them to the scene.

Use the Obstacle Mask creator to make an exclude mask from the tree colliders and assign that to the grass vegetation items.

When the mask is made you can remove the baked colliders from the scene.

Lennart

AndyNeoman and Mark_01 like this.
  31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Website update

Hi. We added a new section to the Vegetation Studio website today.
    There is now a guide to assets that works good with Vegetation Studio. For those with extra integration that is also listed there with links to setup guides, videos etc.

We will continue to update this as new assts do integration or are tested. If you have any asset that should be on the list. Let me know.

Have a look here

Lennart

ftejada, Akshara, Goodgulf and 8 others like this.
  32. boysenberry

boysenberry

Looks great!

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Thanks.

34. mattis89

mattis89

look up Angrymesh rock pack on assetstire, he says he made it compatible...

question : can I spawn with gena and use rules and whatever and have VS as muscle?

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The angry mesh rocks is there on the rocks page.

You can spawn with GeNa and use the Scene Vegetation Importer to get the instances in the persistent storage.
    I know @AdamGoodrich is working on a direct integration for GeNa but I do not think it is ready yet.

Lennart

AdamGoodrich, Mark_01 and mattis89 like this.
  36. mattis89

mattis89

allrighty :)

37. txarly

txarly

Hey,

I am using VS and unistorm, and have 2 windzones,one for normal weather and other for stormy weather.What should be the best way to make this work with VS?

thanks

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. You will have to switch between the windzones in code.
    The windZone is exposed on the VegetationSystem component.

Code (csharp):
    2. public WindZone SelectedWindZone;
    Lennart

AndyNeoman likes this.
  39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update

Hi. I have updated the vegetation masks. They now have an optional ground layer setting that can be used in additon to Unity Terrains to get the mask points to snap to the terrain. This is a part needed for mesh terrain support.

Lennart

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone :) I will be putting a new GeNa out soon - the integration is essentially done, and it works great with VS.

41. mattis89

mattis89

When Adam?

I have quite a longway with me vegetation. First I set my prefabs up with AFS shader so I get nice lightnibg and wind and touch bending... Then I spawn them with Gena because somehow it spawns better on my terrain and dosent leave any empty squares, and then render it all with VS , I mean vegetation is important :)

I looked at far cry 5 yesterday.. I started crying it looked to good!!! Damn you cry engine!!!

42. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

Since farcry 2 they are using their own Dunia Engine.

43. blitzvb

blitzvb

Cannot wait!

44. mattis89

mattis89

aah okay.. looks cool

45. antoripa

antoripa

Power of integration

Goodgulf likes this.
  46. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so I know this isn't an issue with VS itself, but given that I doubt I'll get much of an answer from the water asset vendor thought I'd see if someone here might recognize what the issue is.

I'm seeing artifacts like below the white vertical lines. These are instanced direct mesh trees using standard shader plus VS_indirect.cginc (same issue with just the standard shader also FYI). This is linear/deferred. Unity 2018 although it happens on 2017 also.

I tried messing with everything I could think of, and the only thing that made an impact was TAA anti aliasing, which reduced most of the artifact. Although that's not really a viable solution.

upload_2018-4-6_13-28-43.png

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Aim is to deliver this in the next few weeks - have a lot of cool things that we have been working on all coming together at once - some awesome new content and configuration options in Gaia, a cool new path creator in Pegasus, the VS integration updates with GeNa, and of course our new release of CTS from the other day :)

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/glitters-not-gold-new-cts-release-v1-6/

boysenberry, Mark_01 and mattis89 like this.
  48. mattis89

mattis89

awesome :)

49. Djayp

Djayp

Hello !

As it is my first post, I will start by saying it's a great tool, I didn't even know I could get theses results... so thank you ! Pretty impressed by the fact you're already working with 2018.1 super cool improvements :)

I am playing with MapMagic, CTS, and Vegetation Studio, on Unity 2017.3.1.f1 and I have theses errors :

GarbageCollector disposing of ComputeBuffer allocated in -\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudio\VegetationSystem\VegetationItemModelInfo.cs at line 363 (366, 369, 372, 378, 388, 398). Please use ComputeBuffer.Release() or .Dispose() to manually release the buffer.
    UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer:Finalize()​

Culling group was not disposed. You have to call Dispose explicitly from the main thread. This will likely result in a crash.
    UnityEngine.CullingGroup:Finalize()​

Did I do something the wrong way ?

ajaxlex likes this.
  50. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The VegetationModelInfo class holds a arguments buffer for each submesh of a model. Used for instanced rendering.
    It looks like it does not get released. Are you using the new MapMagic output node?

Could you send me a pm with your setup?

Lennart

ajaxlex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.