Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. The texture mask system. Create a mask texture and use this with texture mask include rules.
    Have a look here.

Lennart

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I did a test also. It seems like Unity does not compile burst jobs properly for IL2CPP. I think there is nothing to do except to wait for an update and work on Mono until then. There is new updates to the burst package almost every week. It will probably work soon. From the roadmap they plan to have jobs/burst working on all platforms soon.

Lennart

hippocoder likes this.
  3. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

Thank you for your quick response. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any burst package updates.

EDIT: The following Standalone Build Configurations works on Windows as expected: .Net 4.x, Mono, Stripping: None.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    P_Jong likes this.
  4. tredpro

tredpro

Thank you. Right before checking here I was reading the component on the terrain go and was thinking I bet I need this checked.

5. gecko

gecko

Ah, that's what I was looking for, thanks.

And it would be great to have other formats, so I can have a 4-color mask texture for minimal memory usage.

6. Kris392001

Kris392001

Hi, just to clarify, can I use each channel of an RGBA texture as an individual greyscale mask to save memory?

7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. You select what channel to use when you add the rule on each vegetation item. This way a RGBA mask can hold 4 separate maps.

What texture formats do you want for the masks? with RGBA it is 8 bit per channel.

Lennart

8. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, Im using this in a randomly generated terrain and in the old version I could listen for colliders added and add some scripts to the trees.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if VEGETATION_STUDIO
    2.         if (colliderSystem != null)
    3.             colliderSystem.OnCreateColliderDelegate += OnCreateCollider;
    4.         #endif
    I'm wandering which event I can listen out for cheers Jim

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The events did not make it in the first version but I added it today.
    There is a small change. The collider system now supports colliders from the source prefab. That could be multiple colliders. The parameter in the event is now the GameObject holding the colliders.

Code (csharp):
    2. public delegate void MultiCreateColliderDelegate(GameObject colliderGameObject);
    3. public MultiCreateColliderDelegate OnCreateColliderDelegate;
    5. public delegate void MultiBeforeDestroyColliderDelegate(GameObject colliderGameObject);
    6. public MultiBeforeDestroyColliderDelegate OnBeforeDestroyColliderDelegate;
    I was supposed to submit the update tonight but midnight here now. I will test and submit tomorrow.

Lennart

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  10. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Ahh Nice thanks man! Just want to say this is very amazingly fast. You sir have done amazing job!

Cheers Jim

11. Rich_A

Rich_A

Hello, I'm a bit unclear on the differences between the original and pro versions of the asset. Do the performance improvements impact the Unity user, the player playing the final build, or both?

Maybe you could add a comparison table?

Do you have any vegetation shaders that you recommend, or are they included in this asset?

cybersoft likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Vegetation Studio Pro + Meadow Environment is awesome. I really like the details, the asset quality is most impressive :)

hap 06.jpg
    hap 05.jpg
    hap 04.jpg

ftejada, Rewaken, osss and 3 others like this.
  13. Rich_A

Rich_A

Nice work! Do you use any kind of special vegetation or terrain shaders?

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

15. Kris392001

Kris392001

Hi, another clarification :) Can I use a texture mask as part of the process of generating biome splatmaps? I'm thinking of things like flow maps, deposition maps etc.

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update

Hi. I am submitting a new update to Asset Store today. Here is the list of changes.

Lennart

Improvements
    • Visible cell debug info now shows distance band as colors
    • Added padding to billboard atlas normals
    • Added options to flip backdfacing normals when generating Billboard atlas.
    • Added RemoveCamera static function on VegetationStudioManager
    • Added CameraLoader component that helps adding/removing run-time loaded cameras
    • Splatmap generation can now be enabled/disabled per biome
    • Added option to change the number of terrain textures for vegetation packages
    • Added option to set tag on colliders
    • Billboards now have a separate layer setting on the render tab
    • Copy/paste curves on the curve editor now also copies tangent settings
    • Added remove all terrain button in the inspector
    • Added BackgroundMaskCreator utility component
    • Added OnCreateCollider and OnBeforeDestroyCollider to the ColliderSystem

Changes
    • Changes to distance used for shadow visibiliy culling
    • Renamed RefreshTerrainHeightMap to match the API in Vegetation Studio std
    • Updated the Fantasy Adventure Environment shader controller to support some new shader features.
    • Added biome name and biome type to dropdown lists
    • Added early rejection for biome mask samples based on mask rect. For mask covering partial cells.
    Fix
    • Run-time prefabs using a pool can now be destroyed without making an error. They will be removed from the pool also.
    • Run-time spawned prefabs now handle floating origin correct
    • Colliders now handle floating origin correct
    • Fix for water shader in demo running on Metal
    • Global density of 0 did not remove all trees.
    • Fix for splatmap generation error in a job
    • Setting global density to 0 did not remove all vegetation.
    • Fixed compilation error on TouchReactNode with Amplify Editor installed

Acissathar and llJIMBOBll like this.
  17. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The biome areas are defined by poligon areas made in the editor tool or from code with the API. For the rules in a biome you can use texture masks to help control the vegetation.

I will make a comparison table, just did not get around to it yet. Busy days. Here is a page explaining some of the changes.

The biggest changes are that Vegetation Studio Pro is based on the new Job systrem and burst compiler. This gives faster editor updates as well as less CPU load in run-time. A new biome system that allows you to define biome areas with different vegetation packages. Support for multiple terrains and cameras with a single vegetation system and also MeshTerrain support.

There is a grass shader and a grass path generator included in the system. Normally shaders are included with the vegetation assets you buy. Have a look at the packages from NatureManufacture, Speedtree or others.

Lennart

Rich_A likes this.
  18. Kris392001

Kris392001

So you can't use texture masks to control the splatmaps?

19. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Can you explain a bit more how you want to use the masks? Send me a pm and we can look at it.

Lennart

20. holdingjason

holdingjason

Just following up to see how the biome pack was coming along or have you been totally swamped with updates for pro?

What we really want the bio pack for was to just see how to properly setup trees, shrubs, grass with wind, lods etc for pro in our project using our own custom assets. A solid example is really what we wanted so would this do the same job or would we still be missing something if the biome pack will be awhile.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vegetation/meadow-environment-dynamic-nature-132195

21. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. We decided to put the biome package a bit on hold. I will get back to this when we have a concrete plan/date.

You linked to the Meadow Package. There was added a demo scene with example biome packages yesterday. It is online now. It is the same setup as used in the video made from the Meadow package.

Lennart

22. holdingjason

holdingjason

Thanks for the update. Appreciate the help.

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

I thought about creating my own terrain with World Creator 2. I have to say the workflow is quite smooth when you just have to use other peoples biomes and drag them around and size them :D

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg

I felt like adding logos, because it really isn't my work. Creating the scene with World Creator 2 took a few minutes, then I just imported the terrain, added more horses and dragged the biomes of Meadow Enviornment around :) Also, I wanted to check performance with more horses. Performance is quite impressive. VS Pro is awesome.

llJIMBOBll and LennartJohansen like this.
  24. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

Nice horses and very nice shots!! About World Creator 2, do you use the Stand Alone app or the one on the Asset Store?

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

The standalone version. With the free World Creator 2 import tool for Unity it's a super fast workflow. Even if you have to re-edit something. It also supports splitting the terrains during the import in case you want smaller tiles. And with the Biomes of Vegetation Studio Pro all you have to do is basically refresh in order to have the vegetation applied to it.

It's really fun to work with. Pricey though, I admit. But after all the money I've wasted on terrain assets that I don't use because they are too circumstantial and annoying to work with, this is still the cheapest solution for me.

Also, if need be, you can import the same terrain into e. g. UE4.

26. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

I know meadow scene support HD pipeline, anytime soon VSP would support HD pipeline, I know it's in beta, but I think it's going to be used a lot in future along with job/burst(those two are in betas too).

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

I got this asked several times now and thought I'd make a quick video about my current workflow:

P_Jong and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  28. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

Thanks for your answer, yes I saw the webpage and looks great, if you split the terrain you can keep with your workflow back on the standalone app, modify terrain and apply again to the splitted terrain? Thats a problem you have with other solutions, once you split its hard to keep the workflow

29. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

So NM has a biome example in their package?

30. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

yes. The biomes used to make the demo video. It was updated a few days ago.

Lennart

31. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Would you say those are good examples of how to create a biome?

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

I suggest you try it out yourself. I quickly created a few height maps which you can import using the free World Creator 2 sync tool. You can find the height maps here:

https://github.com/Roland09/Terrain-Examples

If you want to split the terrain, adjust the Split Threshold in the sync tool before you import the height map in Unity.

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Sneak peak into the future

I have been protoyping a bit with the SRPs.

The custom node you see in the graph bellow sets up LW PBR shaders and HD.Lit shaders made with the shader graph to work with Vegetation Studio Pro instanced indirect rendering.

In order for a custom node to be evaluated it have to be part of the graph. It works as a passthough of any RGB color value. Add it in and the final output of the shader will render instanced indirect with Vegetation Studio Pro.

I am still prototyping this but a good step closer after today.

Lennart

Image 858.png

P_Jong, Lars-Steenhoff, rizu and 5 others like this.
  34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Node updates.

Hi. I had to do some changes. In order to get the code injected for shadow passes also. I had to change it to connect to the position socket of the output node. The color was as it should be stripped for the shadow pass and not evaluated.

I also had to create 2 nodes. One for HD and one for LW SRP. There is some implementation differences since HD renders relative to camera position to remove artifacts and due to float resolution when far away from 0,0,0 position.

I am releasing these nodes on a MIT license on my github for asset developers that want to include shaders made in the shader graph that support Vegetation Studio Pro.

The nodes should work on HD and LW SRP version 4.2+

This is just a small first step to get Vegetation Studio to support the SRPs. With the features implemented with nodes like this they should upgrade as the SRPs does internal changes.

Here is a link to the GitHub repo with the prototype nodes.

Lennart

35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Guys, if you have Vegetation Studio Pro and Meadow Environment, you totally should try this. All this needs in addition is the free Unity Standard Assets car. This is so much fun to drive on your own. And the gfx is top imo :)

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

What's the best way to query where you are on this sort of terrain ie grassy/rough? raycast for UV?

Awesome! I'm guessing it's also possible for people to change the shading and so on.

37. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I would find the position on the terrain. Query the terraindata for the splatmap at the location and find the index with the highest consentration of a texture.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/TerrainData.GetAlphamaps.html

But the API is not fast. If I had to do this a lot I would make a manager class that gets the reference to all the splatmap textures. Get the NativeArray<RGBA> to the raw texture data and sample that for all the textures.

The nodes will allow people to make any shader they want. It does not do anything to the output of the shader. It is just a way to automatic inject the instanced indirect code when the shader compiles.

Lennart

lawsochi, Rowlan and hippocoder like this.
  38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thank you for your continuing hard work and advice!

LennartJohansen likes this.
  39. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Hi, I just aquired the pro version as I had the regular one, By importing it in 2018.2 I get this err

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.Mathematics' (Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Editor/AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationStudioPro.Editor.asmdef)

May be it is due to under development render pipelines, I use only the built in.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-fix-error.544896/

40. Kris392001

Kris392001

Hi, you need to make sure you've followed the setup guide and included the following from the Package Manager.
    • Mathemathics
    • Jobs
    • Collections
    • Burst
    • Postprocessing

P_Jong and TokyoWarfareProject like this.
  41. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Thank you, sorry, I was not aware of the guide, cheers!

42. Rowlan

Rowlan

I tried the free Windridge City asset that NatureManufacture created as well. It's already excellent looking, but I amped it up a notch with purchased assets. Added the Unity Standard Assets car, replaced the vegetation with Meadow Environment and populated it all quickly with Vegetation Studio Pro :)

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

P_Jong, ftejada, sarum and 2 others like this.
  43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Going to need to optimise that. It's at least 10+ clicks and we need to get it down to 1 click.

LennartJohansen likes this.
  44. FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7

Hey guys having trouble implementing any trees into my project using VSP. Tried multiple different assets and same thing happens. I drag and drop me tree prefabs into the inspector and when I do I get about 80+ errors related to the job system and this window pops up and won't go away until I restart unity. Once restarted the tree prefab I dropped into the inspect is removed from the inspector tree list like I never added it. I haven't tested this with props yet but I will be doing so next. I even tried adding the trees to the terrain in unity manually before adding into the VSP inspector and I get the same results.

Any one know what would be causing this? I've been going over the documentation and googling to see if I forgot anything but have come up short.
    upload_2018-11-19_15-22-58.png

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Just saw your message. If you can send a private message with the error message or join the discord server I can help you debug when back in the office tomorrow. On my phone now, Norway time.

Lennart

46. FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7

Sounds good! I will join the discord now. Tomorrow should be perfect! Thank you!

47. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

48. TCROC

TCROC

I am thinking about buying Vegetation Studio Pro. According to your website, this asset is compatible with Vegetation Studio: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/fantasy/fantasy-adventure-environment-70354. Is it also compatible with Vegetation Studio Pro?

Also, I was looking at some of the videos of Vegetation Studio and I really liked how the trees moved out of the way when the house was moved and how the grass bent out of the way to leave trails. Will all the features of Vegetation Studio still be in the Pro version?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

P_Jong likes this.
  50. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. That works good with Vegetation Studio Pro. All shaders that work with Vegetation Studio will also work with Pro.

There is a bit custom integration with Fantasy Adventure Environment. VS Pro comes with shader controller files that expose UI settings for the shaders direct in the Vegetation System UI. The same goes for the wind setting,

All the major features from Vegetation Studio is in Pro also. Some things are done a bit differently because of the multi terrain and camera support in a single VegetationSystem component. Texture masks have a worldspace area etc.
    There is a few of the utility components that is not ported yet but I am working on it.

I am working on a "export" format to make it possible to move persistent data from VS to VS Pro but after that the last utility components will be ported.

Lennart