Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi again.

1. If you have a custom shader and want it to support instanced indirect. Follow this guide. There is a few simple steps to follow. https://github.com/AwesomeTechnologies/Vegetation-Studio-Instanced-Indirect

2. If you paint manually with the peristent storage or spawn run-time that has nothing to do with how it is rendered. The only difference is how the location is loaded/created. Rendering comes much later after the 2 sources is combined

3. Wind needs functionality both in the shader and mesh. Normally the mesh vertex colors contain bend info, phase etc that the vertex shader can use to move the leaves/branches with wind math. This you need to add to your shader or use a shadersystem that has this. Easiest way is to buy pre made vegetation, but making your own is also possible. Speedtree is nice. We are also soon releasing some Biome asset packages with NatureManufacture that contains Trees, Plants, grass etc.

4. LODs are supported. Just make a prefab with a LODGroup as normal and add that as your Tree/Plant

Lennart

2. holdingjason

holdingjason

Thanks for the info. Love to know when that Biome asset package is released. Will that be published by NatureManufacture or by you? Took at a look at there Mountain Trees and that looks pretty good and seems to support everything we just talked about instance indirect, motion via wind and LOD.

3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It will be published by me. Should be on the asset store the same time as Vegetation Studio Pro. Just a couple of weeks now. In additon to vegetation it will contain pre made Vegetation Packages to help you get started. Set up with terrain textures and splatmap rules ++

Lennart

ftejada and holdingjason like this.
  4. eblumrich

eblumrich

Heya.

First off: Veg Studio is a FANTASTIC product- it has allowed me to do stuff that I would have thought impossible, otherwise!

However, I am encountering load time issues - you see, my game world is, well- large:

upload_2018-10-25_18-53-23.png

If the game has to load the entire map, and all in it at once, results in about a five-minute load time.

In order to combat load times, I tried to integrate SECTR tools, which would have allowed chopping up the terrain into more manageable, loadable chunks. Unfortunately, this solution caused issues with Veg Studio: to my knowledge, it can only reference one terrain at once- this meant that every other sector loses all of the Veg Studio foliage. Or am I wrong?

In the eventuality that SECTR might not be the most ideal solution, is there an incremental, open-world loader that Veg Studio can shake hands with?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can provide, and thanks again for the top-notch product!

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. With Vegetation Studio Pro you can use multiple terrains for a single Vegetation System. It is out in beta now and will be released soon. With VS Pro you can define the world area you want and then load/unload the terrains as you want. Each terrain gets a "UnityTerrain" component that will register with the vegetation system

In addition to this there is support for biomes and the spawning and rendering code is using the new job system and burst compiler. Giving a good speedup of spawning times.

If you join the Discord server and message me there I can explain a bit more of the setup for you.

Lennart

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Memory bandwidth

Hi. I just wanted to update you on progress.
    I am getting closer to finishing the release version but on top of bug fixing and small changes I wanted to do a memory restructure for the spawning system I had planned for a while.

As I explained earlier all spawning of procedural vegetation is done using Jobs and the new Burst compiler.
    There is a long list of spawning rules that is each implementes as a job and can work on a list of potential spawn points.
    The world itself is divided into cells that spawn when they become visible (and/or loaded from the persistent storage).

The process is a bit like this.
    • Generate potential spawn points for a vegetation item in a cell
    • Exclude spawn points based on noise density and cutout rules ++
    • Samle terrains (Unity terrains, mesh terrains, Raycast terrains)
    After terrain sampling is done we have a position and a terrain normal and can start doing some more advanced rules
    • Height rules
    • Steepness rules
    • terrain texture include/exclude
    • Vegetation masks
    • Biome rules
    • and many others
    All these rules process, change and add data to a temporary data structure for each vegetation instance.
    While I have been developing the struct has looked like this.

Code (csharp):
    2. public struct VegetationInstance
    3. {
    4.     public float3 Position;             //12 bytes  
    5.     public quaternion Rotation;         //16 bytes  
    6.     public float3 Scale;                //12 bytes  
    7.     public float3 TerrainNormal;        //12 bytes  
    8.     public float BiomeDistance;         //4 bytes    
    9.     public byte TerrainTextureData;     //1 bytes    
    10.     public int RandomNumberIndex;       //4 bytes    
    11.     public float DistanceFalloff;       //4 bytes    
    12.     public float VegetationMaskDensity; //4 bytes    
    13.     public float VegetationMaskScale;   //4 bytes    
    14.     public byte TerrainSourceID;        //1 byte    
    15.     public byte TextureMaskData;        //1 byte            
    16.     public byte Excluded;               //1 byte    
    17.     public byte HeightmapSampled;       //1 byte    
    18. }
    A struct with 77 bytes of data.

This is what all the jobs have available to work on in addition to their own data (splatmaps, texture masks. vegetation masks etc)

This might seem good but we are working on a lot of potential spawning points and copying data from RAM to the CPU is really slow. Not all jobs need accees to all this data. But when adding a NativeArray of this struct it will all be copied even if only parts of each "row" is accessed.

In order to optimize this I created a new datastrucure.
    This is a class that holds several NativeLists. one for each variable in the original struct.

Code (csharp):
    2. public class VegetationInstanceData
    3.    {
    4.        public NativeList<float3> Position;
    5.        public NativeList<quaternion> Rotation;
    6.        public NativeList<float3> Scale;
    7.        public NativeList<float3> TerrainNormal;
    8.        public NativeList<float> BiomeDistance;
    9.        public NativeList<byte> TerrainTextureData;
    10.        public NativeList<int> RandomNumberIndex;
    11.        public NativeList<float> DistanceFalloff;
    12.        public NativeList<float> VegetationMaskDensity;
    13.        public NativeList<float> VegetationMaskScale;
    14.        public NativeList<byte> TerrainSourceID;        
    15.        public NativeList<byte> TextureMaskData;
    16.        public NativeList<byte> Excluded;
    17.        public NativeList<byte> HeightmapSampled;
    18. }
    This object I get from a pool and return later when the jobchain for cell loading is done from the frame.
    I use NativeLists and not NativeArrays for a couple of reasons.

When spawning a cell you can calculate the number of potential spawn points but we do not know the number of hits. With multi level spawning on MeshTerrains you can get back more hits than you started with.
    In this case we need to add on additional instances to the lists.

Another reason is that you can easily clear the data and set capasity to 0 when returning the object to the pool.
    Another feature of NativeLists is ResizeResizeUninitialized. When I calculate the number of spawn points I can resize the data without having to initialize it. This is super fast compared to zeroing data. The data in the list is only initialized when adding the data in the first job.

You could say that setting capasity on the nativeList and then adding to it would do the same, but then we would not be able to use IJobParalellFor job that goes wide on all cores.

In order to use all cores as much as possible .ToDeferredJobArray() is used to transform these to NativeArrays for the parallell jobs.

But back to data structure...
    With the data split up in multiple arrays like this we have some new possibilities.

Lets say we run a job to test for steepness rule. Example below is simplified.

Code (csharp):
    2. [BurstCompile(CompileSynchronously = true)]
    3. public struct InstanceSteepnessRuleJob : IJobParallelFor
    4. {      
    5.     public NativeArray<byte> Excluded;
    6.     public NativeArray<float3> TerrainNormal;
    7.     public NativeArray<int> RandomNumberIndex;
    9.     public float MinSteepness;
    10.     public float MaxSteepness;
    12.     public void Execute(int index)
    13.     {
    14.         if (Excluded[index] == 1) return;
    16.         var slopeCos = math.dot(TerrainNormal[index], new float3(0, 1, 0));
    17.         float slopeAngle = math.degrees(math.acos(slopeCos));
    19.         if (slopeAngle < MinSteepness || slopeAngle > MaxSteepness)
    20.         {
    21.              Excluded[index] = 1;
    22.          }
    23.      }
    Here you can see that the job only needs a byte,float3 and int from the original data.
    17 bytes vs 77 in the original struct.
    When the CPU reads data it gets data in 64 byte chunks. In this case the next 3, almost 4 times the job runs on the next items it will have data in the level 3 cache and not spend time waiting for more data.
    This will again give much faster processing of the job.

With the new data structure we save a lot of waiting while the CPU requests data and speeds up the spawning process.

I just need to implement the same changes for the Raycast Terrain jobs and this part is done.

Lennart

IsDon, lawsochi, Mark_01 and 7 others like this.
  7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Vegetation Studio Pro Beta

Hi. As we get closer to the release of Vegetation Studio Pro I have closed the beta signup.
    Beta downloads will still be available for users until the package hits the asset store.

If you want to get noticed when it releases and not miss the release discounted price sign up for the newsletter on the website.

Lennart

Rowlan likes this.
  8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development Update

Hi. I just finished the 1.0 package. Component documentation is online and I am working on the last text and images to submit Vegetation Studio Pro to Asset Store.

Reviews seems fast these days and I guess it is online soon.

Below is the latest changelog

Lennart

Improvements

• VegetationItemInstanceInfo and RuntimeObjectInfo components is now added to objects spawned by the run-time prefab spawner.
    • Shadow visibility testing for instanced indirect vegetation is now working on the GPU
    • Added the missing selector UI for selecting what texture mask group to use for Texture Mask Rules
    • Added system for disabling edge distance calculations for selected edges in BiomeAreaMasks.
    • Added API on BiomeMaskArea that can set disabled edges
    • Noise cutoff and density jobs now uses IJobParallellFor
    • Some spawning rule optimizations. Early instance rejection for noise rules. Goes wide on all cores.
    • Internal core change in spawning rules. IJobParallelFor is now used where possible to share load better with few vegetation items and many available cores.
    • Jobs are now submitted multiple times in the spawning process to start processing wile sheduling jobs.
    • Last of the spawning jobs moved to the new mathematics library
    • Persistent storage now has a bake all items from all vegetation packages option
    • Persistent storage noe can clear only baked items
    • Matrix4x4 creation from the persistent storage now goes wide on all cores
    • Setting for background color when generating billboard atlases.
    • Reduced temporary memory usage while baking to the persistent storage
    • Memory is now compacted when clearing the cache of a VegetationCell
    • Big spawning memory refactoring. Faster spawn jobs and less memory bandwidth needed.
    • Added pooling system for temporary spawing memory
    Changes

• Copy/Paste will now select the pasted vegetation item
    • TerrainLayers created in Unity 2018.3+ is now stored in a subfolder of the VegetationPackage directory
    • Runtime spawned prefabs will now keep the original prefab name
    • Added default splatmap rules for the first 4 textures in a new vegetation package.
    • Minimum cell size set to 25 meter
    • Default cell size set to 100 meter
    • Some wind changes to NatureManufacture shader controllers
    • Added Update button to change vegetationcell or billboard cell size.
    • Increased Blend Distance for Postprocessing volumes
    Fixes

• Fix for heatmap not working on 2018.3 with instanced terrain
    • Fixes for masks not disposed correctly if VegetationStudioManager was not in the scene
    • Fix for error when adding camera run-time
    • Fix for splatmap not generating correct with noise turned off
    • Fix for splatmap generation returning wrong value with broken curve object.
    • Fix for vegetation package not set dirty if a corupt curve was fixed.
    • Fix for vegetation cell temporary memory not released as early as possible when cell was spawning billboard trees.
    • Removed some warnings
    • Fix for VegetationCell error that could happen when calling clear cache after Disposing the internal memory structure

9. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

I haven’t checked this out in a while, been hoping to get it sooner than later.

Has the price been determined for VS Pro?

Thank you!
    Xalo

10. Razmot

Razmot

That seems awesome.
    Did you think of the use case of procedural terrain ?
    I'm generating my own terrain with the ECS, so I would probably want to bypass your terrain sampling and directly feed the HeightmapSampled from my own data !

11. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. You can do that. Make a custom component that implements the IVegetationStudioTerrain interface.
    This has 2 important functions you need to implement

Code (csharp):
    2. public JobHandle SampleTerrain(NativeList<VegetationSpawnLocationInstance> spawnLocationList,
    3.     VegetationInstanceData  instanceData, int sampleCount, Rect spawnRect, JobHandle dependsOn)
    4. {}
    and

Code (csharp):
    2. public JobHandle SampleCellHeight(NativeArray<Bounds> vegetationCellBoundsList, float worldspaceHeightCutoff,
    3.     Rect cellBoundsRect, JobHandle dependsOn = default(JobHandle))
    4. {}
    Here you need to make jobs that sample the terrain height for cell setup and sample the terrain height + normal for spawning rules.

You can probably use 90% of the code in UnityTerrain.cs

This new component you can then add as a terrain and it should work.

Lennart

Razmot likes this.
  12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There will be a discounted launch price of 129 USD. Upgrade from Vegetation Studio is the price difference. 54 USD.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  13. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thank you!!

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update.

Vegetation Studio Pro will be released in 2 days. The 1st of November.
    Documentation is online on the website now.

Lennart

ftejada, gecko, Rowlan and 1 other person like this.
  15. tredpro

tredpro

There wont be a beta build of 1.0 right?

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No. The last beta is the one available on the server now. Release version and updates will be on Asset Store.

Lennart

17. blacksun666

blacksun666

Does the Pro version support the same integrations as the standard version?

18. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Most of the exposed API on the VegetationStudioManager is identical to make it easy to update assets that integrate with Vegetation Studio.

The compiler define is changed from VEGETATION_STUDIO to VEGETATION_STUDIO_PRO

In many cases just adding a test for this compiler define will update integrations but some might need more work.
    Some assets have updated already others not. But I guess it will happen soon since the update is easy.

Lennart

Rowlan, Rockwall33 and blacksun666 like this.
  19. tredpro

tredpro

Ok thought so because I was having a memory issue with the last beta and it looks like it was fixed

20. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Vegetation Studio Pro Released.

AWESOME_Vegetation_Studio_Pro_splash.png

It is available here on asset store now! :) Discounted upgrade price for current Vegetation Studio users.

Lennart

Mark_01, PeterB, sarum and 4 others like this.
  21. Antypodish

Antypodish

Second screenshot is so surreal.

The path looks a bit clean, but otherwise really cool.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  22. holdingjason

holdingjason

Congrats on the release picking it up now. Keep us posted on the Biome asset package with NatureManufacture that contains Trees, Plants, grass that you mentioned.

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I will. The first biome package should be ready in a week or 2. I will post progress and images here.

Lennart

mons00n, holdingjason and Antypodish like this.
  24. Picked up, of course, right away. It's a no-brainer.

LennartJohansen likes this.
  25. JLO

JLO

Hi @LennartJohansen I was wondering if the Raycast overhang bug has been fixed?

26. Nihilus0

Nihilus0

Hi, @LennartJohansen
    I was very disappointed that the VS and MapMagic combinations had significant overhead in the test. The reason is that every time Terrain Chunk was created, MapMagic had a significant overhead in preparing the VS. I wonder how the VS Pro differs from the VS in many of terrain.

MM과VS연동시문제0_8.png MM과VS연동시문제0_7.png
    MM과VS연동시문제0_5.png MM과VS연동시문제0_6.png

what I want is that if MapMaigc decides Terrain and Splatmap, the VS randomly places the Vegetation Biome according to SplatMap. Is it easy to implement these capabilities with VSPro? If possible, I would also like to have comments and advice on implementation. This is completely different from MapMagic's VS Node. (This is because MapMagic's VS Node even deploys vegetation.)

[Edit]
    I have additional questions with VS Pro.
    What happens if Biome in VSPro is out of the terrain? and When a neighboring Terrain was created that, does it also apply to that Terrain if the area of the Biome belongs to the neighboring Terrain?

Thanks,
    P.S. I am not an English speaker. I used a translator.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  27. nomax5

nomax5

UPGRADE !!!

I bought this Asset in December 2017 when it was first released,
    partly to help a new asset developer get established, and partly because the asset seemed to be good
    we didn't know at the time though because the developer was unknown.

Now just Months later you want me to pay £50 to Upgrade !!!

When I buy a game "Early access" I don't expect to pay full price when it comes out.
    If I buy a washing machine I don't have to buy it again a few months later in order to use it with current electric supply.

So what's the deal here?
    This is wrong isn't it?

28. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

Vegetation Studio will still be developed and updated as normal. There is a new 1.5 version in review in asset store now. I also have a list of improvements that I made while developing VS Pro that can and will be backported now.

Unity has been developoing some new core technology with the Job system and Burst compiler. This tech allows for much better multithreading and optimized math speed but it does not work in older Unity versions or fit with standard object oriented programming.

It was not possible to use this tech with standard Vegetation Studio without breaking all existing projects and force users to 2018.2 +

I decided to make a parallell Pro version from scratch based on this new tehnology and the capabilities it gives.
    Vegetation Studio Pro. Any Vegetation Studio user that wants to can upgrade with only the price difference between the 2 assets as upgrade price.

Lennart

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I did not see any changelog from Unity for this, but I will give it a try and enable it if the RaycastCommand bug is fixed.

Lennart

JLO likes this.
  30. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a new multi terrain setup for Vegetation Studio Pro. It allows you to define a larger world area and then load/unload terrain within this area. Since the initialization is already done it is much faster to just invalidate the area for the loaded terrain and spawn this on demand.

You can spawn vegetation based on the splatmap but the new Biome system uses polygon areas you define for each biome. If a Biome Mask Area is across multiple terrains they will all get the vegetation.

There is also a splatmap generation system for the BiomeMaskAreas but this is designed for editor use and not run-time created terrains.

If you join the discord channel and message me I can explain more. Easier with a text chat.

Lennart

Mark_01 likes this.
  31. tredpro

tredpro

You dont ever have to replace parts on your washing machine? Or upgrade it?

32. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No need to continue this discussion. He just asked a question on how it worked and I explained.

Lennart

sarum likes this.
  33. Nihilus0

Nihilus0

Hi, again @LennartJohansen
    Thank you for your answer. I haven't found the discode link. Besides, I can't write English well enough and fast enough to chat. So I continue to ask questions. Is the new biome system you mentioned automatically placed Biome at runtime by random or by what conditions?

[Edit]
    I found discode link by your profile.

P.S. I am not an English speaker. I used a translator.

34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

The biome mask areas are created in the editor.
    Have a look at the video.

You could create these polygon areas run-time but you would have to create your own code for gerating them. Then adding the polygon to a BiomeMaskArea component.

Lennart

35. nomax5

nomax5

Hi Lennart,

Thanks for the response, and thanks for being ahead of the curve with the Unity's upcomming tech in this area.
    It makes perfect sense now I know Unity is "moving the goal posts" as it were.
    This technology is moving so fast how long can we humans keep up ehh....

36. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development Update.

I added a small helper component. If you have cameras loaded run-time and want to add/remove them from the vegetation system you can add this component to the Camera GameObject and it will do that on enable/disable.

It will be in the next update.

Lennart

Image 777.png

37. Darthlatte

Darthlatte

Hi, I just bought the asset, but when I open the demo scene all is pink (yes, I am using the hdrp) - What steps do I need to take to get this working on the hd render pipeline? Thanks

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Vegetation Studio Pro does not support any of the SRPs. The last time I tested they did not support instanced indirect rendering yet. I plan to look at it again when they get out of preview. Now they still break custom shaders at every update. I think the solution can be custom nodes for the shader graph but this is still at pre-prototype level for me.

Edit: sent you a PM also.

Lennart

39. Darthlatte

Darthlatte

Thanks for the help, great support :)

40. tredpro

tredpro

I removed pro and added back the old version now I'm trying to readd the veg system to my scene but when I had the resources it crashes?

41. tredpro

tredpro

It's just the terrain that the pro system was set up with previously that has the issue. New terrains work fine

42. TakeRefugeGames

TakeRefugeGames

Hi I just bought Pro and think I payed 59 i is this accounting for the price difference and discount for original owners?

43. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a compiler define left in player settings if you delete the asset. try to remove that.

Lennart

44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The upgrade price from Vegetation Studio is 54 USD, depending on your currency and VAT this might change a bit.
    Standard release price without upgrade is 129 USD.

Lennart

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I did a test now and the RaycastCommand issue still only seem to return the first hit. Code is ready to support it. When unity gets the bug fixed I will enable it.

Lennart

JLO likes this.
  46. tredpro

tredpro

Yea I've already removed _pro from vegetation_studio_pro

47. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update.

I added the possibility to enable/disable splatmap generation on a per biome basis. This can be done for every biome not set as default biome.

Setting on the TerrainSystem component. It will be in the next update.

Image 789.png

Lennart

48. Acissathar

Acissathar

How do we know which wind setting takes place? My trees are thrashing about and so far I haven't found the right setting to turn it down.

49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Problem with trees is that most shaders have its own system for injecting wind.

Speedtrees for example gets its wind directly from the WindZone and that can not be changed. Built into Unity.
    Others like the trees from NatureManufacture and the Fantasy Adventure Environment have custom wind controller added to VS Pro and show up on the Environment Tab.

What shader does your tree use?

Lennart

50. Acissathar

Acissathar

It's working now.

They were speed trees and no matter what I did to the wind zones the changes weren't sticking, but after restarting Unity now they are. That's how this morning has been though.

For future reference, so if I use NM trees, the wind settings will then show up in the Environment Tab or are they one of the listed ones? (CTI / HD)