Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. mick129

mick129

This is amazing!

Do your solution work with MapMagic 2 or it is only made for the first one?
    Edit: Found the answer in the video's title. Good job again :).

jimmygladfelter likes this.
  2. mick129

mick129

@jimmygladfelter

Hello, I have been trying to make your system work on my project. I don't have any compile error so this is good sign but I can't manage to really make it work.

Do you use the persistent vegetation storage? (probably)
    And in the end of your explanation you say that we need to call system.EnableCacheModels(), where should I put this function call? Because I only get those errors when I hit play and no vegetation at all.

Attached Files:

3. F

F

@LennartJohansen HI,I just bought this great plugin, I cannot found a editor feature or a API for hide specify plant at playtime, or close some plants without close there prefab generated by spawner.
    What I need is that switch rendered trees to my prefab trees when camera goes near them, is that possible?
    regards

4. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

I have an existing terrain, with trees, textures and grass already placed semi manually and can't lose them. How do setup Vegetation Studio Pro to make use of the renderer system without having to do everything again from scratch?

5. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Another question, billboards don't seem to be rendering at all. I tried with several different types of trees, regenerated the billboards, but no luck so far. In addition it seems LODS are not working at all either. Any idea what could be causing this? Im on 2020.2 if it helps. Thanks!

6. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Look into masks for areas and objects such as trees. Use an area mask to keep VSP from populating those areas or if you have a tree in a spot and want VSP to fill in around it, put a mask on it. You can set up what VSP will add or not. Such as you can have VSP add rocks or things in areas that already have trees and grass but checking off which will be masked.

7. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

https://www.awesometech.no/index.ph...onents/vegetation-masks/vegetation-mask-area/
    The mask area works the same in standard or pro.
    It is attached to a game object, you can remove colliders and material to use it to clear areas for this purpose. Kind of the opposite of a biome, you will use it to not add any of the parts you already have in the area.

You could use a biome to do the same and just add a few items if that works better for you.

8. Qilbby

Qilbby

Doubt, if I buy this pro version will I have access to the new vsp 2020? or will it be a third version?
    I ask why I want to buy this asset with the piperline rendering working and it looks like this 2020 version is bringing it.

9. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Hi, I just bought vegetation studio, and working with it since a week. I think it is a great product but I have a problem with SSAO (from Thomas Hourdel and aswell same with Amplify Occlusion): When I have SSAO on my main camera, I get artifects because of the vegetation, which is really a shame - black ugly looking stripes on objects, when I lower the global LOD levels it is less and less obvious, but still not good enough. Since I see all kinds of examples above from HBO, I am really surprised about this problem. I am using Unity 2018.4.12f1. Please help me! See the images, one with and one without artifects (the black stripes on the brick wall)

Attached Files:

10. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I had a similar issue a long time ago. Not sure if it’s the same but I had shadows of grass on the trees.

anyway, check your plant settings. If you are using instanced indirect when you should have instanced only it will give artifacts.

check those settings and good luck!

11. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Thanks a lot for answering! I will try that and report back later :)

12. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Thanks a lot, I checked it and it appeared to be the problem! 1000 x thanks!!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  13. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I remember when it happened to me I went crazy for days trying to figure it out. I had several devs looking into it and it finally came down to that setting being off.

Very glad it worked! I know what you were going through. :)

Purpleshine84 likes this.
  14. Rowlan

Rowlan

I updated the my Vegetation Studio Pro Extensions in order to support Train Controller. In short: You can take the railtrack spline and have line masks for Vegetation Studio Pro generated for it. At 00:50 is the relevant part:

I modified the code a bit so that it's easier for everyone to add their own support for other assets.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  15. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

I am a long time user of this amazing product. Something tragic has happened with 2020.2.0f1 -- all the grass textures in the biomes give error "Shader 'Standard' doesn't have a color property '_AG_ColorNoiseArea' ". It asks you to delete them and reimport them: when you do then there is this error when you drop the grass on to the 2D Texture item -- you get this "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I thought was maybe something in my big project so I created a brand new project and just imported Veg Studio Pro. Same errors occur in both circumstances. It is pointing to MeshUtils.cs line 70 (in the static SelectNormalMesh(Gameobject, LODLevel).

Clearly this is some major change in 2020.2.0f1 -- any way to work around this or fix it ? (and I should have said this is the default render pipeline with Linear and Mono 4.x)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  16. ProceduralCatMaker

ProceduralCatMaker

I confirm problems with _AG_ColorNoiseArea in 2020.2.0f1.
    If you try your DownloadedDemo you see a bunch of errors (120) almost all related with _AG_ColorNoiseArea
    The vegetation prefab of item: Dune Grass_01 is missing. Please replace or delete VegetationItem.
    Removing references to missing Turboscalpeur prefabs solves issues.
    what is the reason of this change?

17. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

Seems very odd actually. Trees work, but I tried all sorts of grass textures and errors errors errors. And if you try and click the Debug tab in the panel it kills the VSP UI.

18. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

I sent an email with this info on the VSP website - hopefully we will hear something soon.

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

I checked it with Lennart. Seems that Unity changed the way resources are loaded in 2020.2, or it's a Unity bug. The error you see is a side-effect. The cause is this for example:

GameObject vegetationPrefab = Resources.Load("DefaultGrassPatch") as GameObject;

which has to be changed to this:

GameObject vegetationPrefab = Resources.Load<GameObject>("DefaultGrassPatch");

@LennartJohansen said he'll test and push an update

ProceduralCatMaker likes this.
  20. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

@Rowlan Excellent ! TY for the response. Gonna make those changes and try that right now.

**EDIT: Made the changes - fixes all the errors. YAY! Back in business heh! And FYI there are a number of other apps/plugins that I have found with the same issue(s). Seems like this type change could be handled much better by UNITY than just break all the projects and leave people with no info about it. At lease there should be a warning during compilation or something. Wow!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  21. one_one

one_one

Does this support DOTS physics out of the box already? If not, how feasible would it be to add in DOTS physics support?

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Hover Racer Prototype

23. wood333

wood333

General Questions from a prospective customer
    My unanswered post from discord:
    Veg Disc Post.JPG

24. spaceyjase

spaceyjase

Seconded here: works a treat. Thank you!

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

26. trampazolex

trampazolex

Having an issue with (i think) tree culling. The primary issue is that trees are culled the second the base of the tree leaves the camera frame. So -- looking up at the top of the tree, the tree disappears the second its base leaves the frame. The (probably related) issue is that shadow culling doesn't seem to work at all. Trees behind the player, out of the frustum, are always culled.

The only way I can fix both of these issues is by changing the camera setting to 360 instead of Frustum. But it's killing my perf! Any ideas? Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDgvxsoUpfsa9giTY-fiOHfq0FBk2h2W/view?usp=sharing

I'm using mapmagic 2 to populate tree positions and supply the models to VSPro, and i'm using URP. Not sure if that matters...

27. RvtL

RvtL

Hi, I encountered an issue with the Quality Manager. When I add it to my Vegetation Studio Pro object it looks alright. But once I click on Create quality levels button, I can no longer see and configure the component properly. Am I adding the script to the correct object?

component-added.png levels-created.png

I'm using Unity 2020.2.1f1, but iirc I had the issue on 2019 as well.

28. dreamcities_

dreamcities_

I'm facing a similar issue, and specialy when moved the project to 2020.2.1f1, same thing...

29. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

We just completed final editing to our latest video, "Apollo's Dream", and it will be coming soon to our YouTube channel.
    Using VSP as usual.

boysenberry likes this.
  30. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

31. boysenberry

boysenberry

32. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thank you!

33. rmon222

rmon222

Beautiful work!!! Thank you for sharing this!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  34. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thank you! Very glad that you liked it! :)

35. MFKJ

MFKJ

I am getting a very weird issue. The vegetation is working fine in the editor but not in the Build (windows). Remember I am using a floating origin as the environment is pretty large. But My biome object is under the EnvironmentParent object while I have assigned my EnvironmentParent object in Floating Origin Achor variable inside Vegetation System Pro. What I am doing wrong. ? Remember My EnvironmentParent object moves as my camera goes far away from the origin.

36. nobluff67

nobluff67

Hi,

Can you update your documentation please, and also explain here on how to setup Veg Pro with unity 2020+

The packages have now mostly changed, so I really don't know what todo with the below list from your setup page:

37. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

The packages have been hidden in 2020.1 and up. You can install them by going to the package manager, click the add button, add git url and put in the pacakge name (e.g. com.unity.mathematics).

Magic-Thor and nobluff67 like this.
  38. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks, perfect.

FWI for other, this is only needed on new projects, not when you update from older project.

39. nobluff67

nobluff67

I have come across an issue that I have seen mentioned in this thread however I have not seen a solution or workaround, does anyone have information on this? (Asked on discord as well)

1. The tree colliders are set to "wake" ~25 units away, however if I have a NPC > 25 units away from me, it can walk through trees as the colliders near it are not active, correct? Any ideas on how to get past this, or I am misunderstanding something?

40. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Look at the component "Collider System Pro (script)"
    Select under "Navmesh" tab it has an option to bake your colliders.
    Do this after setting up you colliders and the navmesh will build around them preventing your AI from spawning and walking through trees.

41. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks. I actually should have added more to my question..

Using A* pathfinding.
    Scanning pathfinding graph at runtime.
    Using magic map to generate infinite terrain.

So scanning at runtime is easy, works well with MM.
    Veg pro studio works well with MM.

and it seems Veg Pro and A* is more of a challenge due to veg pro handling of colliders.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  42. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Ah... sorry I can't help you there, I've never used A*. I see your issue and look forward to hearing a solution.

43. Kojote

Kojote

Hi!

I have ldier through Vegetation Studio Pro some performance problems. In the profiler I have VegetationStudioProUpdate() (3.49ms), VegetationSystemPro.LateUpdate (3.37ms), Prepare render list jobs (3.10 ms) and Draw billboards (2.87 ms). This degrades my frame from 150 FPS to 50 FPS. Does anyone have a solution to improve this?

Second problem, I have billboards enabled but they are not showing.

Thanks a lot already!

44. Kojote

Kojote

Billboard problem I could eliminate with the update to the latest version. Nevertheless, the performance loss due to the Vegetation Studio Pro remains.
    I lost almost 120 frames with it.

45. Rowlan

Rowlan

I made a new vid with the latest beta of VS Pro which supports HDRP (billboards, instanced indirect, etc):

boysenberry and hopeful like this.
  46. Misaki_eKU

Misaki_eKU

Why does vegetation shadow disappear when it is behind the camera? I am using 2020.2.6f1 hdrp 10.3.1

47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

48. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Apollo's Dream II is now live!
    A ton of work went into this one, I hope everyone will enjoy it.
    Creating beauty with Unity for a Virtual Experience with an original soundtrack is a lot of fun and I hope it shows in the video.

VSP helps create a wonderful living environment for this old west experience.
    Using Veg Studio has given Unity a real look and once you use it, there is no turning back. A MUST have!!

49. gtox

gtox

Has anyone used VS Pro with a terrain larger than 4km x 4km? If I go larger than that, then I get a crash with the standalone build.

50. reigota

reigota

Hello guys,

I am using VS Pro and suddently everthing started to get rendered on top of my camera when I hit play. Like that:

upload_2021-4-9_9-4-40.png

When in edit mode, it looks like this:
    upload_2021-4-9_9-5-32.png

I already double checked the Cameras config in VSPRO script and it is exactly the same as when everything was just working fine: yesterday when I turned my computer off.

Any hints on how to make this work again????