Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There is quite a few internal settings that expect the world to be in a scale of 1 unit to one meter. Limits on spawning rules, cell sized etc. I think unity released an AR camera setup that "scales" worlds for AR use while keeping the unit scale in the scene.

Lennart

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No. You need to randomize the seed in your code before getting random numbers.

https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/ScriptReference/Random-seed.html

This is the basis of a list of numbers the ranom code will genrate. You can set it to the computers time tick or some other value that should change between sessions.

Lennart

AngelBeatsZzz likes this.
  3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There should be no changes that affect performance between this and the last update. Could you message me in the discord server to profile?

Lennart

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Message me on the discord server. Lets look at your profile data.

Lennart

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

DISCORD

Hi. try to use the discord server for support requests. I try to be online when in the office.

Lennart

6. IsDon

IsDon

Thanks Lennart, I appreciate the reponse; I'll go with 1:1 and figure out the other way - Also totally forgot about Discord, will def. resume browsing / asking there.

7. Crossway

Crossway

I think Billboard is also necessary for some grass! I can't use tree section for grass because distance and density between trees isn't enough to use for grass prefabs.

8. Crossway

Crossway

I confirm this too! I can't update my asset because I also mentioned a big performance difference on large maps. So I reverted back to V1.0.0 and performance is good again.

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

But did this change from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2. version ? Can you contact me on discord to look at what happens?

Lennart

10. pdehn

pdehn

Hi. VSP has been generally great, but I had a question about a particular use case.

Overview of what I'm working with going in:

- I have a large terrain (9x9@4k, so 12k*12k total)
    - I'm primarily using terrain texture rules to control vegetation
    - VSP performance is good with tuning
    - Unity terrain rendering is my main bottleneck (using MicroSplat shaders, but it seems to be CPU bound in the Culling phase)

What I'm trying to do:

Converting to meshes seems to get the performance I want -- I need higher the resolution splatmaps, but can accept lower heightmap resolution. Leaving the original terrains in the scene but disabling rendering them in favor of the meshes gets me get improved performance while still allowing VSP to draw vegetation based on my terrain texture rules.

The main issue is that because the meshes don't exactly match the terrain heightmap (especially on slopes), vegetation in some areas is floating above or clipping below.

What I think I want:

Is there some way to bake my distribution rules from the terrains and use them in mesh terrain workflow? It seems like I could use texture masks to control placement with mesh terrains, but I don't see any built-in option to create the such masks automatically. Figured I'd check if there's some way to do this (or some other approach I should consider) before I roll my own.

11. zelmund

zelmund

hi there
    in middle of project we started to get this error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCellSpawner.Dispose () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Runtime/VegetationSystemPro/VegetationCellSpawner.cs:821)
    AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro_OnDisable () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Runtime/VegetationSystemPro/VegetationSystemPro.cs:1184)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    LoggerHandler:LogException(Exception, Object) (at Assets/Scripts/Logger.cs:41)
    LoggerHandler:LogException(Exception, Object) (at Assets/Scripts/Logger.cs:41)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

we deleted our script Logger.cs, but still getting this error (excluded strings where logger mentioned)

cant you tell us please what can cause that error?
    using unity 2019.3, VS pro 1.2.1.0

12. Barritico

Barritico

Thanks for your help.

What really worries me is that this scene was always the same, I never had problems and now I do.

And it all comes with update 1.2.2

But... I've already found a solution with another asset.

Thank you!

Hawk0077 likes this.
  13. AdminArdagor

AdminArdagor

Yes 1.2.1 had good performance but didn’t work correctly on textures with CTS terrain

14. RecursiveEclipse

RecursiveEclipse

@LennartJohansen

I'm using the Entities package and need to write a custom spawning system based on traits given to vegetation items. I know you made your own entity system in a post from 2018, my question is are there any plans to move to the Entities package or provide some kind of access through the official system as it gets out of preview?

If not, would a good strategy be to to create the entity representation I need through a MonoBehaviour and the Vegetation Studio runtime prefab spawner?

15. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

HI, Im using Unity 2019.3.7 with HDRP 7.1.8

All vegetation is set to Instanced, Billboards off... and the vegetation still wont render.

Any ideas where to look for a solution. Thanks.

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is runtime spawn enabled? Hard to say anything without any information.

Also, I saw your tropical forest pack questions. Maybe you want to join us on the discord server? it's easier and faster to help there.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  17. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Yes, runtime spawn is enabled on objects I want to spawn.

I really prefer to avoid discord if possible. I really dont like the site.

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

Then just create a default biome. Put 1 item into it that should work and change the density slider. It should render. If it doesn't, please post some screenshots.

Also, when does it not work? In edit mode or in play mode? And which assets are involved? The only thing this ever happens to me is when I import an asset and load its demo scene and the asset had the vegetation baked. In that case runtime spawn is of course disabled. But that's not the case for you as you say.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  19. Rowlan

Rowlan

VS Pro + NatureManufacture Frozen Land Demo including the provided Biomes + HAP + Enviro

rider 2.jpg
    rider 11.jpg
    rider 5.jpg
    rider 9.jpg
    rider 19.jpg

20. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Rowlan likes this.
  21. mocoomichi

mocoomichi

HI~
    I want to use vs pro to receive vegetation's data which produce by houdini.
    how can i do?

22. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. What data does it output? What format?

Lennart

23. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I've seen mention of using other placement tools (like GeNa or Gaia) and importing the spawned objects into VSP's persistent storage, but I can't seem to find a way to actually do that. Is there built-in way to import details spawned on a terrain into VSP's persistent storage? If not, is there an API documented somewhere in order to create a custom script to do this?

24. Rokugan90

Rokugan90

25. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I've run into this, really bad. It is a Unity thing and not VSP. Although VSP helps you realize it is there.

Solution:
    Play with your bias' (Bias and Normal Bias) on your lights under shadow types. You have to turn up your bias to get it to stop, but find the spot where it looks good and stops flashing.
    I didn't start getting this problem until ver 2018, but I found others had it in previous versions too.
    It is annoying. Hope this works for you. It did for me.

PS: I'm looking into other shadow options to help fix this, but no answer yet on options.

Rowlan likes this.
  26. Rokugan90

Rokugan90

Hey thanks for the reply, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be my problem here. Tried messing around with it but it changes nothing.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  27. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Looks like the tree are culled away to soon meaning the shadow is in the view frustrum while the actual tree is considered out of view by VS and is culled. Think best to ask on Discord though.

28. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

29. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's this one, i. e. the demo link in the youtube description combining several NatureManufacture assets:

Hawk0077 likes this.
  30. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Yeah, Ive seen that video on youtube. I cant find it on the asset store though? Any ideas. Cheers Roland.

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

Ah, I see. The download for the demo scene is in the description of the video. Just go to the video page. It also contains a link to all the assets that were used. It's not a single asset, it's a combination of several.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  32. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Ah right, I get it. Thanks Roland. Oh and stop posting images of your work. Your making me look bad and pissing me off. lol. Have a good one and thanks again. All the best

33. Rowlan

Rowlan

I tried something new today, Vegetation Studio Pro's performance in rendering distant vegetation is just awesome. And creating this 4K terrain in WC2 and setting it up with VS Pro and the Meadow Environment Biomes was just a matter of minutes:

dsilverthorn and Hawk0077 like this.
  34. Rowlan

Rowlan

I wanted to fly around with a Drone for a change and abused the Malbers Animal Controller for controlling it. Meadow Environment in HDRP with Instanced Indirect using Vegetation Studio Pro is awesome for performance. Just having fun here:

BriBill, bok, hopeful and 1 other person like this.
  35. Rowlan

Rowlan

This might be interesting for some of you, so I thought I'd post here as well, apologies for cross-post. I updated my Vegetation Studio Pro Extensions with a new feature that sets the Touch React Active property on the NatureManufacture materials at the click of a button. Makes activating Touch React easier for Meadow Environment and Forest Environment Biomes:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/fre...sions-open-source-github.808008/#post-5766685

batch-function-touchreactactive.png

Hawk0077 and Baldinoboy like this.
  36. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Please have VS Pro working with NM World Streamer 2 when it comes out. Thanks

Rowlan likes this.
  37. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

This should come in useful as I havent beeen able to get touch react working at all. Thanks.

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

If you have problems, just let me know and I'll write it up.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  39. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Roland, much appreciated. When I get to this I sure will. I have other projects going on which need my attention first but I will post for any issues/solutions. Many thanks agan.

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

No problem, you're very welcome. It should be easy. And if it isn't, someone should do something about making it easy :D

I might make a part 2 of my 8-Wheeler Game Creation Timelapse video and add Touch React and such.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  41. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Hawk0077 i made a quick video. The touch react stuff starts at 08:16. Basically the TouchReactActive flag gets set in the NatureManufacture materials, then a TouchReact Collider is added to the GameObjects and a Sphere Collider is added as well. That's it.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  42. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Rowlan, I will take a look over the next few days. Im a little bogged down at present but will take a look soon. Thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

43. franky_li

franky_li

Hi Lennart,
    I have a problem when texturing a terrain with 2x2 tiles, there is a visible seam in the textures.
    upload_2020-4-30_13-27-59.png

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Hawk0077 likes this.
  44. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I have the same issue and believe the only way is to paint the terrain by hand, but dont quote me.

45. ManuelMeisen

ManuelMeisen

So this is probably a very basic question, but I cant find an answer in the documentation.
    Is there a way to require more space for a Vegetation Item? For example, grass will often spawn at the top of pointy hills,
    which causes stuff like this:

The Sample Distance also does not help, as it only increases the distance between the samples, but does not take the rules set for the vegetation item into account.

46. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Try to disable concave and convex rules. They need neighbour info when calculating.

Lennart

47. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Look at the convex/concave spawning rules.

Lennart

48. Rowlan

Rowlan

Since some users still have questions with setting up touch react, I used in my recent video. Starts at 07:14 and covers adding touch react to the entire car and using a trail renderer to keep the grass down:

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. Unplug

Unplug

basic question here, i got console error that i can't figure out. I'm in unity 2018.4.16f1. do i need to change/update vegetation studio ? Is it possible that an older version of post processing stack is loaded and need to be deleted. please tell me what i should be looking for

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\VegetationStudioPro\Runtime\Manager\VegetationStudioManager_PostProsessing.cs(8,29): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'PostProcessing' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

50. RPowers

RPowers

Does grass work for URP v7.3.1? I'm trying it but all I see are pink shapes where the grass is trying to render.

If URP is not currently supported is there an estimated time for when it will be? My project relies heavily on VS and I also need to convert to URP for performance reasons in VR. Thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2020