Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. AXP1

AXP1

Hi,
    I never worked with NavMesh yet, but if I understand it right, it is for generating an ideal path for getting ex. an NPC from A to B, so that possible colliders (along the way) are taken into account.
    On the other side, VS PRO uses a fixed pool of colliders for collision detection of vegetation items against the camera. These colliders are generated run-time (as the camera is moving) for nearby vegetation-items and are activated only if you turn on colliders for that vegetation-item (ex. a rock) in the "Edit biome" area.
    If you bake the colliders into the scene, all colliders will be there as static game-objects, but as said, for the purpose of collision testing against the camera, such static game-objects are not needed (but they are needed for generating NavMesh, or obstacle-masks etc.).
    So, I think that
    - removing the baked colliders from the scene will speed up collision testing for the camera, because the on-demand collider pool has only a limited number of colliders.
    - removing the baked colliders AND turning off collider-generation for a particular vegetation item (in "edit-biomes"), will make it impossible to test for collision against the camera on the run-time, also if you previously baked the colliders and generated a nav-mesh out of them.

Lennart, please correct me if I am wrong.
    Cheers

Hawk0077 likes this.
  2. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks for the response, you seem to know more than me at least... So then why bake them in the first place? I can create a navmesh without baking the colliders... then if the colliders are still ON per object... what is the point of baking them in the first place?

I realize you said (but they are needed for generating NavMesh, or obstacle-masks etc.)...

But why if the colliders do the same job?

3. AXP1

AXP1

The collider pool mechanism assigns the same fixed number of colliders to the currently visible vegetation items on the run-time, as the camera moves. I think, this limited number of on-demand colliders are not the right input when you want to create a NavMesh, ex. an NPC will go through rocks/trees if it is behind the camera, as there are actually no colliders for vegetation items behind the camera (only for items that are very near to the camera).
    Expanding the "vegetation system pro" game-object shows the colliders in the collider-pool.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  4. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

AH right I see the purpose now. Thanks AXP1, much appreciated.

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Support

Hi everyone. Try to use the discord server for support questions. I try to be online there every day during weekdays. Also a good community in general to ask questions. Forum questions might take a bit more time.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Vegetation Studio uses the original shaders and will not affect the look of the vegetation. The only change for the included speedtree shaders is that they support instanced indirect rendering.

Lennart

7. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

Does VS Pro work with Spherical surfaces?

8. ibearjp

ibearjp

Was Wondering if the pro version is compatible with Unity 2019.2 LWRP? If so does anyone have documentation on how to setup? I got error and some of the packages from the Package Manager like Jobs,Collections and Burst 0.2 isn't available on the new Unity 2019.2

edit: Scripting Runtime Version: .NET 4.x Equivalent option isn't available too.

9. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. On my machine I can't get Vegetation Studio to render in a build with the scripting backend set to IL2CPP. Setting to Mono and the vegetation renders fine in build. Any Ideas? I'm using Unity 2018.4.7f1. My burst and collection packages are up to date.

10. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

After upgrading project to Unity2019.2 generating MeshTerrain in vsp causes crash.
    But only after more than one, if I generate only one (MeshTerrain.GenerateMeshTerrain()) its fine, but more than one and it crashes. Using newest version of vsp. It was working just fine earlier.
    Im using raycast terrain right now as workaround but it's extremely slow so when moving camera across terrains it stutters like crazy. Im about to release game very soon and this is the only issue I need to fix before release, so this one is showstopper for me sadly.
    Ok, found workaround: when terrains dont touch each other (move them apart a few cm) it doesnt crash nad works.:eek:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  11. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Vegetation Studio assumes that terrains is down in the scenes. This goes for mesh terrains also.

Lennart

12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Unity had a compiler bug with some job types and IL2CPP. This is fixed in the latest packages for 2019.1+. Unity will not back port this to earlier unity versions since it requires other core changes.

Lennart

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Contact me on discord if you want to try to debug this. Sounds like a strange Unity bug...

Lennart

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The packages are there but you need to turn on the preview packages checkbox in the Package Manager.
    .Net 4.x is default from 2019.2 and you do not need to set it.

The SRPs are only partially supported. The spawning and render loop itself works, but the included billboard system and grass shader does not. I have been prototyping the refactoring needed for creating a new billboard system that can use the shader graph as source for shaders. This will allow for easier upgrades when Unity updates the SRPs.

This and some other changes are to large to just add to the current version. That would break projects in development. The most likely scenario is that I make a 2020 version with SRP support while keeping the current version bugfixed in parallell for projects in development. I will update here when I have more news.

Lennart

p87, AXP1 and Rowlan like this.
  15. entsprod

entsprod

Our Assets using VS Pro (read the video description to see all Packages used):

SickaGames1 and mons00n like this.
  16. tredpro

tredpro

Could it be possible to get the snow and wetness synced up with unistorm and uber?

17. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Can this do speedtree 7?

18. eggor83

eggor83

Hello.
    The addon is great, but looks like there is a bug. As I am using 8 terrain texture rules for foliage generation textures 5-8 are messed. For example, "Selected texture" set to "Texture 8" distributes trees on "Texture 5".

19. nathanjams

nathanjams

Lennart has asked that questions be moved to the discord server, you'll get help much quicker from the developer or the community there.

20. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

It seems this asset doesn't play nice with Vulkan? I get this error with the GPUFrustrumCulling compute shader

upload_2019-11-30_23-48-0.png

21. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You can set the snow and wetness data with script. Contact me on the discord server and I can show you where.
    Did we discuss this already on the discord server?

Hi. Yes. speedtree 7 should work good.

I am looking into this.

22. ME_CGI

ME_CGI

Just purchased this awesome looking tool.

I work mainly in AEC and typically we build a mesh in another DCC app, like 3ds Max, to be used as "terrain".

So by the time its imported into Unity its just a fbx mesh. In simplest form, just a plane or a cube, used as a large flat surface we stick buildings onto etc.

So my question is, with Vegetation Studio Pro, can it only create trees/plants on terrain objects, or can I create vegetation on any mesh, like in my case a flat imported fbx mesh from another app?

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Have a look at the MeshTerrain component. That allows you to combine one or more meshes to a virtual terrain you can spawn vegetation on.

Lennart

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

For those interested, I updated my Vegetation Studio Pro Extensions, you can get them from here:

https://github.com/Roland09/VegetationStudioProExtensions

New features for Vegetation and Biome Area Masks:
    • Subdivide
    • Unsubdivide
    • Circle
    Looks like this:

vs.gif

Documentation update is pending, there's more to come :D

25. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I am missing something here; downloaded the package in my project, and I am getting missing include, which are due to the fact that there is no jobs nor collections package in the package manager.

Using 2019.2.15

26. Rowlan

Rowlan

Import Entities.

27. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I don't see Entities either in the package manager

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

You have to activate "Show preview packages". fyi, the reason why you need only Entities is because the rest is added implicitly because of the dependencies.

s.png

dsilverthorn and rapidrunner like this.
  29. Rowlan

Rowlan

A little tease :) I wanted to create a new project with VS Pro and thought why not populate it automatically. So I spent a few hours to make a Biome generator. Nothing fancy, all it does is create random Biome Mask shapes as a project starting point using definable settings. I have to toy around a bit more, because while using it more ideas come on flowing. Either way, I'll upload it soon in case anyone wants it. This is basically what it does at the touch of a button:

vsext.gif

I guess it would make sense to have the shape generator also on a per Biome basis. The nice part is that multi-tile terrain is supported out of the box, because VS Pro supports it. VS Pro is awesome :D

30. topofsteel

topofsteel

Texture mask image format. I cant get an image to work with VSP. I've tried from both photo shop and substance designer. Is it looking for a spicific file format. Thanks.

31. newguy123

newguy123

32. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. From Unity 2019.x installing the post processing package is optional. There is a compiler define test in the code.

Lennart

Rallix and newguy123 like this.
  33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The file format is not important but it has to be a 4 channel RGBA or ARGB format on the data.
    It also need to be set as uncompressed when importing.

34. Crossway

Crossway

After Updating to the last version from v1.0.0 unity editor is too slow now I can't even move or rotate inside scene view.

My map is really huge but I haven't had same issue with vegetation studio pro v1.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  35. BryanPW

BryanPW

Hi when I’m using Envrio, the Vegetation disappears in previews . I’m using Vegetation Studio. Any advice of what might cause this ?

36. SLASH24

SLASH24

hello there! I just bought vegetation studio, not pro, along with "Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature" my issue is that trees and plants are not animated at all, while the videos of the two products are showing animated vegetation, so I'm wondering why?

37. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Can you please contact me on the discord server? Easier to debug on a text chat.

There should be a wind component/prefab in the asset package from NatureManufacture. Add that to the scene.

Could you please contact me on the discord server. I would need to more info to guess what could be happening.

Lennart

38. SLASH24

SLASH24

I've added the correct wind prefab, from asset package, I see only grass moving, but trees and plants remains still, no moves, I've opened the demo scene of the trees's package, and all was fine there.

EDIT !!!!!

no, it's all okay now !
    Thanks ! Many Thanks :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    LennartJohansen and hopeful like this.
  39. rmon222

rmon222

Hi. If you set a gameobject with a VegetationMaskArea component active at runtime, do you still have to call UpdateVegetationMask()? Thanks.

40. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi, I am using VSP and I am getting a bit stomped since the videos online show an older version and the manual in the package refer to beta; which I assume is the old version of the document.

Anyway; I added VSP to the project, everything is fine, I can open the manager that point to the VSP game object, I created an empty vegetation file, since I have the textures on the terrain already, and plugged that file in the VSP game object in the biome tab. Then I went to the modify biome tab to add grass and trees, but when I add something, it just works if I select the type of biome in the biome tab, nothing show the grass I added, unless I select the default biome. Tried all of them in the drop-down but none seems to have any setting working with the grass and trees I added.

Am I assuming incorrectly that those biomes are created by VSP when you create a new vegetation file, and as such, they should have settings already for inclination, altitude and other parameters related to the grass and trees?

If not, I am not sure why I see those biomes, since I just created an empty vegetation file.

Also, are there vegetation files already made with assets in them, that I can use out of the box as starting point? I have both the demo projects and I don't seem to find any vegetation file there; maybe I didn't import the package correctly?

FYI I followed your tutorial (which seems to be from 2017), and when I add the grass, the whole world is populated with grass, with 1.0 as density; while in your video I see patches appearing at random on the terrain. Are you using different settings on your video?

Thanks

41. MinimumEntropy

MinimumEntropy

Hi!

This asset is unbelievably good. One thing (that is only an issue because i am CS and have very mediocre experience with Unity): I see so many details (2D grass specifically) in the scene view camera but not even close to that much in the game camera. I've tried to disable certain things in the scene (weathermaker, aquas, etc.), tried to up the detail resolution and lower cell size, no dice. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much for this asset! Going to take the time to write the review right now :D
    Edit to show what I mean: 4sendsupportawesometech.PNG .
    Another edit to say I think it might have to do with multiple cameras in the scene. One as an overlay "depth only" renderer to show the first person arms in first person mode. I'm still trying to tackle this but any help is still appreciated :p
    Edit 2: I am dumb it was just a misclick in the render tab. good lord :mad:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  42. Rowlan

Rowlan

transat and MK1_Dev like this.
  43. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Do extra cameras have to stay loaded in the scene at the start? I have an instantiated camera for 3rd person, but when I switch to this camera it is not recognized by VSP and I get no vegetation at all.

I have added the prefab, it didn't work. no vegetation

I added it in the scene as inactive, but when the instantiated camera replaces it, it does not work. no vegetation

I only get vegetation through 1 camera (FPC) even though I have both loaded in the setup.
    I'm new to VSP so I may have something setup incorrectly.

Is there a solution to this or do I have to find another way?

44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. That should be done automatioc at the first Update call when the mask is enabled/created.

Lennart

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. If you have multiple cameras in the same scene you can add them in editor mode to the cameras tab of the VegetationSystemPro component.

for run-time loaded cameras you need to add them in code. Call VegetationStudioManager.AddCamera with the new camera as parameter or add the CameraLoader component to the CameraPrefab. This should call it automatic when enabled/disabled.

Lennart

dsilverthorn likes this.
  46. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@LennartJohansen ,

Thanks! I am doing run-time loaded cameras so I am trying script written by @AggressiveMastery with your help, if it gives me any trouble I speak with one of you. I appreciate it!

keeponshading likes this.
  47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I have a issue.

I added a tree to a biome and VSP started rebuilding all of the billboards and after several hours it was still stuck on Normals?

I let it run all night and it never finished after 10 hours!

I've tried a reboot of Unity and it goes through the same procedure before it loads VSP and I have even removed the tree that cause this to start. Now it's been 5 hours and again locked up on normals. It went through several setups and the loading bar moved, but when it got to normals, it locked up and the popup will not go away and I cannot get it off the screen. I can work around it and select things, but the popup will not close..

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    This has shut me down, so any help is appreciated.

48. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Hi

I have project with Vegetation Studio Pro and I have also added RAM 2019, CTS 2019 and Meadow environment (with VS Pro scene). The demo scene works as it should and I can also copy the scene and everything is still good. However when I try to create a new scene, add a terrain and then add Vegetation Studio Pro, I can't get the vegetation to render. I have added the Meadow vegetation packages and the biomes look correct in the inspector. I also tried creating my own Vegetation package and biome. But the only thing working is the splat map generation. No vegetation what so ever. Not in scene view, game view or during play mode.
    Have I missed some very basic setting somewhere?

I'm using Unity 2018.4.9f, linear colors and deferred renderer.

49. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Okay, I figured it out. It was the "Enable run-time spawn" check that was disabled on all the vegetation items in the meadow biomes. When enabled they show up. But in the meadow scene they show up anyway.

So I checked the documentation and this is because the vegetation is baked into the persistent storage for the meadow scene. Doing that disables the "Enable run-time spawn".

I don't know if I have misunderstood some things but I think there are some problems with how different parts inter-operate.

The following are some questions/thoughts/pondering from a new user perspective to the asset:

First of, as far as I understand it, a biome file/asset and vegetation pack file/asset are actually the same thing. This is kind of confusing. I guess this is due to biomes not existing in the earlier non-pro version.
    If I create a biome and want to use it in more than 1 scene, then I can't bake the vegetation in 1 scene as it will affect the run-time spawn in all of them (as that setting is in the biome). But the persistent storage is per scene.
    So do I need separate biome files for each scene?

The "Select biome" dropdown under the "Biomes" tab is confusing. Are the options in the dropdown only a list of "slots" that I can use to put the different biomes into for this scene? If so their names are not fitting for all possible scenarios and I should be able to rename them, per scene. Or did I misunderstand this completely, because the documentation does not explain this. This gets even more confusing as I can also give the biome a name right under the dropdown.
    So I can create a biome file with a filename. Then I can add it to a scene in a named "slot" and then give the biome a name. And then I can create a biome mask on the terrain and give that a name as well. That's a whole lot of names :)

Also the textures inside the biome/vegpack is confusing. They can have their own textures, but that is not what is actually on the terrain. That made sense when it was 1 vegetation pack for a terrain, but is weird when you can have multiple (biomes) per terrain.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  50. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's been a while and so I thought I'd create a new racing game from scratch for training. It's really impressive what you can achieve on a single day with standard pipeline and top quality assets.

r1.jpg
    r2.jpg
    r3.jpg
    r5.jpg
    r4.jpg