Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Shadowing

Shadowing

All my lag problems are gone now. Ever since I went to Unity 2019.1.8.
    It may of been giving false positives idk. Cause i realized the asset Aura 2 was giving me the same type of lag as what vegetation studio was. So idk why it stopped for Vegetation studio but then started for Aura 2 after I upgraded. Might just have to do with some trade off of resources going on due to my bad performance in the editor.

All i know is I figured out what was causing the massive lag in my scene. It was the 5 water spots I had in my scene.
    I didn't realize each pool of water was 2 million tris. so I added a LOD to my water.
    Now my editor has massive performance again.
    In fact vegetation studio is hardly even showing that many tris and I have a Jungle environment with super thick vegetation.

My tris right now are from 700k to 4 million spikes. Still trying to get it lower though with more LOd's. My tris was up to 15 million actually. So if anyone is lagging check your tris using the stats bar during run time.

2. herr_P

herr_P

Really enjoy this asset! Been thinking of upgrading to the "Pro" version for a while.
    Been trying to find some information about LWRP, is it supported?

Thanks,

3. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi! Been working in Vegatation Standard but just went to PRO -
    Unity 2019.1.8f1 - Fresh scene
    Vegatation Studio Pro 1.2.0
    Api Compatibility: .NET 4.x
    Burst: 1.0.4 , Mathematics: 1.0.1, PostProcessing: 2.1.7 - Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/setup-guide/

There's also a doc file inside the installed asset about the setup. You are missing Jobs and Collections.

5. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Thanks Rowlan - I forgot to check Preview all to snag Jobs and Collections. :)

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The SRP are only partially supported. The spawning and render loop itself works but the billboard system and included grass shader does not. The SRPs are still changing to much for every release to do a proper support with custom shaders. The shader graph is also missing some important parts.

Lennart

7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I think we solved this on discord? It was a projector on the water that made the problems.

twobob likes this.
  8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. I missed a couple of messages.
    There is an example harvesting script in the downloadable demo (se readme file).

Trees are not gameobjects when rendered with Vegetation Studio. In order to harvest them you need to configure a collider. Then you can access that with raycast or collisions and mask out the trees with creating a VegetationItemMask.

Have a look in the harvesting script for an example.

Lennart

9. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@LennartJohansen
    Found a small issue with the SpeedTree 8 Instance Indirect shader replacement in Pro. If you drag a SpeedTree 8 to the scene directly, you can edit the tints and it works fine. But if you attempt to edit the tints from the VegStudio replacement shader editor, the only one that has any effect is the "Foliage tint color" and it tints the entire model (leaves and bark), the Foliage HUE Variation doesn't work, and neither do either of the Bark settings.

10. BananaStem

BananaStem

Would anyone happen to know if this asset could work with Bakery?

11. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi- Getting into Pro version with Map Magic, etc , This is probably a quick fix but the Vegetation Studio logo blocks the edit fields after sometime working. Did import a few asset after with no errors. Thanks for any Help!

Attached Files:

12. wumn

wumn

Vegetation Studio Pro In HDRP mode, 2DGRASS does not seem to be rendered. I am using unity2018.3. HDRP version is 4.8.0

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The SRPs are only partially supported. The render loop and spawning itself works good but the included grass shader and billboard system does not. The SRPs still change to much for each release and the shader graph is missing some needed APIs. This needs to get more stable before I try to add support.

Lennart

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Do you get any error or warning when the inspector turns like this?

Lennart

15. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a SceneVegetationBaker component that could temporary let you add the trees as gameobjects for baking lightmaps. This would allow them to contribute to a lightmap but they will not recieve any lightmaps. Instanced rendered meshes does not use lightmaps.

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Thanks. I will have a look at this.

Lennart

17. zNightz

zNightz

Hi!
    Do your VSP let other colliders interact everything with it?
    Like removing grass at runtime?
    Make grass grow back after some time?
    Or change its scale at runtime?
    Change it Material at runtime? Like if you set the grass on fire it will change to burned texture for example.
    Can your VSP do any of that?

18. Simunek

Simunek

Hi!

I am creating mesh by script, then I assign VS mask in script to the edges of the road (as you can see).

Edit: this link is now working

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NReFv4NujVGYxr5EWnrlOqWK0T4qNiKe/view?usp=sharing

As you can see I have some grass inside my road. I understand that there are some noises (in masks)... :D but I would like to have precise cut out :D

I tried to increase perimeter range, but it does not look good.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. Hazardous1

Hazardous1

Looking to buy megasplat but wanted to know if the biome system can paint the textures to the terrain as usual, or if only the vegetation placement mask work?

20. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

When will the package support Post Processing V3, which is bundled inside the HDRP package?

21. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. From Unity 2019.1+ the PostProcessing package from the package from the manager is optional. All code integrating with it is using compiler define "#if UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2"

If you did install it and removed it again make sure you enter player settings and remove the "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2" compiler define that Unity leaves there after the package are removed also.

Lennart

22. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

MegaSplat uses its own custom splatmap system for the terrain/meshes. Vegetation Studio needs Unity Terrain to generate splatmaps.

Lennart

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Could you message me on the Discord server. Lets have a look. Easier with a text chat

24. tgentry

tgentry

It has been a while since I played with VS Pro and I have a problem. This happens in a prebuilt scene like Meadow or an empty with just a terrain and VS. Plus the only things in the project are VS Pro, Meadow, Ram 2019, CTS 2019 and Gaia. When entering play mode I have a rock and/or tree stump on top of my camera.
    upload_2019-7-30_12-13-55.png

upload_2019-7-30_12-14-20.png
    Of course if I take the Object Density and Large Object Density down to 0 it will go away, but so does those things from the scene. I have tried to change my clipping on the camera, but that depends on the size of the object on top of the camera. And then I can't get in close it the clipping is too far. I am in 2901.2.0f1 and I have tried both earlier and later versions to the same results. The VS Pro is the up to date version on the asset store 1.2.0. In the screen captures above is a simple flat terrain so nothing difficult. And like I said this is pretty much every scene or project I create.

Thanks for your help...

25. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

If you get vegetation stuck to the camera it is normally an item set to instanced indirect with a shader that does not support it. Find it and set it to instanced rendering.

Lennart

26. tgentry

tgentry

That was easy enough to fix. And since I had left them pink it was easy to find.

Thanks

27. wumn

wumn

upload_2019-7-31_16-5-13.png

Hello there. When I use Vegetation Studio Pro. The picture rendering frame rate is very low. I don't know where the problem is. What advice do you recommend for optimizing the rendering frame rate?

28. crocvr

crocvr

Hello! Any news about supporting HDRP?

29. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

The publisher helped me out; it does work I just had to remove the Stack V2 compilation tag from the project settings.

But unfortunately the state of SpeedTree on HDRP is not really good; no billboarding nor wind animations. So for us the package is quite useless now. We still kept it as we do hope SpeedTrees will work this year

30. RegdayNull

RegdayNull

Hi. There is a bug in Unity 2018.3 or misunderstanding, but in changelog I can see the line
    - Added custom speedtree 8 shader that supports instanced indirect. (Unity 2018.3+)
    But this does not work in 2018.3.10f1. I can find replacement code
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (material.shader.name == "Nature/SpeedTree8")
    2. {
    3.     material.shader = Shader.Find("AwesomeTechnologies/VS_SpeedTree8");
    4. }
    But there is no VS_SpeedTree8 shader at all.

31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Did you upgrade the project from an earlier version? The speedtree shader was only included in the package you can download for 2018.3+

32. RegdayNull

RegdayNull

No, this is not upgrade. I've just downloaded (i.e. imported) it via Unity 2018.3.10f1. No older version of asset and even tested on absolutely clean project.

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

But did you download it before on 2018.2-? Try to clear the cache and download again. Unity messes up versions sometime.

34. RegdayNull

RegdayNull

Cleared and imported via 2018.3.10f1 - no changes. But importing it via 2019.2 and copying into project solved the problem.

35. folkniry

folkniry

Hi. I use vegetation studio in my project. I have one vegetation storage and 10 vegetation packages(each of them has it's own set of trees(all are speedtree files)). I've placed 56 biome mask areas in my scene. The problem is that my trees don't spawn in 3 or 4 areas(in editor and in play mode). But if I change any parameter(size of area or noise settings for example, even a mask name), they work well. When it happens in the editor, and I can see them, I save my scene and start the play mode. And there they dissapear again. All settings for areas and Vegetation Studio are the same. Is there any limitation for number of biome mask areas or number of packages?

36. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There is no limit. Could you contact me on the discord server? Easier to debug with a text chat.

Lennart

37. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

A bit strange. The file was included with the upload for 2018.3

Lennart

38. rmon222

rmon222

Hi, Quick question. Can you bake the shadows of GPU-instanced trees onto a terrain?

Thanks

39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

hi.look at this component. https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/scene-vegetation-baker/ you can temporary bake the trees to static gameobjects. make the baked shadow map and delete them.

Lennart

40. rmon222

rmon222

Perfect. Thank you.

41. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Update

Hi. I am submitting a new update to Asset Store today. It has some important billboard changes needed for Unity 2019.2+. You can get a patch for the billboard issue here while you wait.

Fixes
    • Fixed billboard shader compile error on Unity 2019.2+
    • Fixed warning for Materialtype on Unity 2019.2+
    • Fixed warning on SceneMeshRaycaster
    • Fixed Job system warning due to API change in 2018.4
    • Fix for multi camera billboard culling problem
    Lennart

42. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

Hi Lennart,

Have you looked into supporting SRP now that 2019.2 is out? I know that a lot of missing features were added to shader graph with this release. Also, since Unity is evolving LWRP into the Universal Render Pipeline with 2019.3 (which should become the pipeline for most use cases) are you going to consider looking into SRP again?

Thanks.

43. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The most important change I have been waiting for is a proper way to inject code to the shader graph. With SRP 7.0 (2019.3) it should now possible to inject the instanced indirect code I need. I also have to redesign the billboard system completely and restructure quite a bit of code/folders to have an install that would work with both the standard/legacy render pipeline and the new SRPS (Universal/HD). I have also been protoyping some other bigger changes.

One problem is that I will not do changes that would break current projects, there is a lot of projects in development that depends on this. They expect to be able to update with fixes and changes to their projects.

I think the most likely option is that I create a Vegetation Studio Pro 2020 version that supports this while supporting the current Vegetation Studio Pro version for the Unity 2019 LTS lifetime.
    This will mosty likely have a minimum Unity version of 2020.1+ due to the SRP API needed and other new features available in new Unity version.

Lennart

liangzheng2k, Mixa1985 and Rowlan like this.
  44. Scyra

Scyra

How can I turn off the wind blur effect on trees that shows up in Play Mode?

Update: 5 minutes after posting I solved it—it was the TAA Stationary Blending post-processing effect on the main camera...so instead, I will use this post to say, "thanks Lennart! Your product is working great on 2019.2."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    IsDon likes this.
  45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a problem with billboards on 2019.2. Install the fix I linked to a few posts up or wait until next week when the update I submitted goes live.

Scyra likes this.
  46. unicat

unicat

wtf... :)

Funny.PNG

I got this walking along my terrain.

47. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi Lennert.

I have a trouble with VS Pro billboard trees.
    The billboard trees are not visible on iMac 2019(Metal Mojave) with Unity2019.1.13~2019.2.1.(Mesh tree is OK)
    Also the All trees are not visible on iPhone(Metal iOS12.x) with Unity2018.1.13~2018.4.5.(Only mesh tree is OK from 2019+)

Will it fix with next update?

(VS Standard is no trouble)

Env:
    Unity2018.2.21~2019.2.1
    iMac 2019(Radeon Pro 580X) Mojave (Only Metal)
    iPhone8 iOS12.3~4 (Only Metal)
    VS Pro 1.2.0

48. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. I just bought VSP but am getting an error when importing the package: "Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package". Has anyone else experienced this and know how to fix it? All of my other assets import fine. It's just VSP. I'm trying to import VSP 1.2.0 in Unity 2019.1.14f1.

49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. It sounds like the download failed when unity tried to download the asset or you do not have enough space on your temp drive to unpack before installing.

Try to delete the unity asset store cache and download again, or free up more space if needed.

Lennart

50. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It might fix it on the first issue. Could you contact me on the discord server and explain a bit more about the 2nd with iphone.

Lennart