Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. A77ila

A77ila

I'm especially interested in the translucency on the foliage, there is / there will be some package supported for this?

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Unity still have not provided a new API for custom nodes for the Shader Graph. I have no ETA on when they provide this. The current solution with modifying the assembly info works but is not ideal.

Translucency support is done in the vegetation shaders not something that needs any spesific Vegetation Studio support. Ask on the forums of the vegetation asset developers.

Lennart

3. DrInternet

DrInternet

Hello,
    I would like to report that wind does not work for TreeCreator (and most likely CTI) trees. It does work for SpeedTree.

To reproduce:
    1. Create a new project
    2. Import latest VSP
    3. Import required packeges according to https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/setup-guide/ (mathematics 0.0.12 prev 21 was change to prev 20 since there is no 21)
    4. Load demo scene.
    5. Create simple tree using TreeCreator and spawn it via VSP
    6. Change WindZone values to make stronger wind to better observe the result.
    7. Play
    8. Manually placed tree moves, VSP spawned trees stay still.

Tested on Unity 2018.3.11f1

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Does VSP support IL2CPP?
    I get bunch of VSP related errors from the build like below.

NotSupportedException: System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod::.ctor
    at System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod..ctor (System.String name, System.Reflection.MethodAttributes attributes, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callingConvention, System.Type returnType, System.Type[] parameterTypes, System.Type owner, System.Boolean skipVisibility) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Utility.ListExtensions+ArrayAccessor`1[T]..cctor () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at System.Collections.Immutable.ImmutableHashSet.CreateRange[T] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] items) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Utility.NativeArrayExtensions.CopyFromFast[T] (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T] nativeArray, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] managedList) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationInfo.CopyToNativeArray () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCellSpawner.ExecuteSpawnRules (AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCell vegetationCell, UnityEngine.Rect vegetationCellRect, System.Int32 vegetationPackageIndex, System.Int32 vegetationItemIndex) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCellSpawner.SpawnVegetationCell (AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCell vegetationCell, System.Int32 currentDistanceBand, System.Boolean& hasInstancedIndirect, System.Boolean billboardsOnly) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.Update () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'AwesomeTechnologies.Utility.ListExtensions.ArrayAccessor<AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationItem>' threw an exception.
    at System.Collections.Immutable.ImmutableHashSet.CreateRange[T] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] items) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Utility.NativeArrayExtensions.CopyFromFast[T] (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T] nativeArray, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] managedList) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Vegetation.PersistentStorage.PersistentVegetationInfo.CopyToNativeArray () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCellSpawner.ExecuteSpawnRules (AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCell vegetationCell, UnityEngine.Rect vegetationCellRect, System.Int32 vegetationPackageIndex, System.Int32 vegetationItemIndex) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCellSpawner.SpawnVegetationCell (AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationCell vegetationCell, System.Int32 currentDistanceBand, System.Boolean& hasInstancedIndirect, System.Boolean billboardsOnly) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.Update () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    (Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Do you think you could send me the tree in a private message? Wind is done in the shader and not controlled directly by vegetation studio. Some shaders needs a wind vector set but I think that should be automatic from Unity in the case of TreeCreator.

Lennart

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It should work.
    What platform are you compiling for. The error seems related to a reflection call used to get access to internal List data to copy faster.

Could you send me some more info in a private message? Or better, join the discord server and we can debug there.

Lennart

7. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

Hi Lennart,

There is an issue with Unity Terrains in 2019.1 and Vegetation Studio / Vegetation Studio Pro.

It is being tracked as the following: TERRAIN PAINT FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED IN SECOND INSPECTOR WHEN YOU CLOSE INITIAL INSPECTOR #1117658.

I opened a clean project in 2019.1.2f1, created a terrain, could paint on it, etc. I then imported Vegetation Studio and had the issue. Same story with Vegetation Studio Pro.

Given that Vegetation Studio / Vegetation Studio Pro have to be present for the issue to happen I don't know if the fix will have to come from Unity Technologies or you.

Unity Technologies thinks they fixed the issue, but the issue continues to exist when either Vegetation Studio / Vegetation Studio Pro is in the project. Several people have had this issue with Vegetation Studio Pro: unity 2018.3 Upgrade - Terrain Broken - Inspector tab is a duplicate?

Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks.

8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Thanks

Hi. I had a look at this. Unity added some internal test that did not validate the inspector as "itself" when extended with reflection.

I will make a workaround and update. For now delete the ExtendedTerrainEditor.cs file and things should work.

Lennart

desertGhost_ and Rowlan like this.
  9. maydragon

maydragon

Hello.

There is a problem in VS Pro in Unity 2019.1.1f1. If you attempt to add a mask group, it seems to "break" the inspector window:

upload_2019-5-14_20-0-59.png

Thanks.

10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I found the problem. I will prepare an update.

Lennart

11. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Potential error

I just got reported that Unity replaced a function name in the latest job package on 2019.1
    ToDeferredJobArray is now AsDeferredJobArray

I will prepare an updated package and submit to the asset store.

As a temporary fix downgrade to an earlier job package, or search/replace the ToDeferredJobArray in the code.

Lennart

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Rowlan likes this.
  12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Update top Job package problem.

Looking a bit more in depth on the issue Unity actually changed the naming of a Job type.
    I will prepare a version that works with this tomorrow. Until that is approved please stay at
    Jobs package "Preview 11 - 0.0.7 "

Lennart

Rowlan and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  13. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Hi,

I can't find the VC++ toolkit anywhere in the individual components section of the Visual Studio Installer (2019 - 16.04)

Also, the https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/setup-guide/ page keeps referring to the Vegetation Studio Beta package, where as the Asset Store page doesn't mention Beta at all. Is the setup guide page out of date?

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Here is a link to Unitys requirement per platform for the burst compiler.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.burst@1.0/manual/index.html
    Look under burst AOT requirements.

I do not know if it might be a separate download in Visual Studio 2019.

I updated the online Guide now removed the beta text. Just some text left from the first guide during the beta.

Lennart

15. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update

Hi. I am submiting a new version of Vegetation Studio Pro to asset store today. If has some new features I have posted here before. An included modified Speedtree 8 shader.

It also fixes a compile issue with 2019.3 alpha and a name change that Unity did in the job system.
    On Unity 2019.x the latest version of the job and collection packages are required.

Improvements
    • Added Quality Manager component.
    • Added Predictive cell loader system.
    • Setting to disable Instanced Indirect rendering on spesific platforms.
    • Added new HeightOffsetRange rule for controlling rocks lowered in the terrain
    • Added TreeCreator wind controller
    • Added custom speedtree 8 shader that supports instanced indirect. (Unity 2018.3+)
    Changes
    • Updated name changes on some job functions.
    Fixes
    • Extended ListExtention to work better with IL2CPP on some plaforms
    • Fix for inspector draw error on TextureMask tab of Vegetation System Pro component.
    • Fix for Unity Terrain inspector showing a duplicate inspector warning in Unity 2019.1+
    • Fix for compile error in 2019.3 alpha - ScreenshotUtility.cs
    Lennart

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Update

The 1.2 version is out. If you are on Unity 2019.x make sure you update to the latest packages.

Lennart

17. Waterlane

Waterlane

Phew... had a bit of a panic there for a second.
    v1.2 solves my/the 'duplicate inspector' issue - great job.

But on updating scripts etc wouldn't load - It needed me to also update to jobs 0.0.7 (preview12)
    [preview 11 caused errors]

Maybe useful info' for other people...

18. dwmitch

dwmitch

I'm having an issue with biome splatmaps. Currently I have a grassland biome, which is the default, and a forest biome. I want the grassland to remain untouched, using the splatmap generated by Gaia's coverage texture spawner, while the forest biome uses a dead leaves texture.

I disabled splatmaps for the grasslands biome, generated the map for the patch of forest I have, and it turned everything to sand (the first texture slot) with patches of grass scattered around. I went to the grasslands biome and locked every single texture after running Gaia's coverage texture spawner, generated from the forest patch again, and it all went back to sand. I enabled splatmaps for the grasslands, thinking it had to be active to lock the textures, and I ended up with mostly sand and a few grass patches again.

Basically it's ignoring the enabled state, baking when it's set not to, and whether enabled or not it's not respecting the locked textures. Enclosed is an image showing the result. On the left it's basically how I want it except for the ground under the trees. On the right the patch of forest is correct, but everything else is wrong.

Addendum: I went into the asset and switched it to a no texture biome, thinking that would keep it from writing anything to the splatmap. Just ended up with a black terrain other than the dead leaves of the forest biome.
    VSProIssue.png

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    wuming888 likes this.
  19. maydragon

maydragon

Thanks, Lennart.

This finally solved the UI problems and now I am able to use VS Pro Maps in MapMagic to paint the grass.

I also ask you to integrate Vegetation Studio PRO with Megasplat. The option is available in Vegetation Studio, but not in PRO. It makes a real difference for people who, like me, works with MapMagic + Megasplat and is also enjoying the benefits of VS Pro.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. koirat

koirat

I wanted to bake tree colliders with "Vegetation Studio Pro" but I had to change some Layers on colliders on tree prefab form Default to something else (game specific).

I have duplicated tree prefab that comes with Free_SpeedTree package and changed some layers on some colliders and started baking.

Big Problem:
    All baked colliders are on Default layer regardless of what I set in a prefab.

Small Problem:
    Is it really needed to change object names for this colliders instead of leaving original names.

Suggestion:
    As I see baking bakes only colliders and removes all components that are added to object. It would be useful feature if there was an option for added components to stay.

21. Shadowing

Shadowing

I have a bit of a issue that I ran into today. I have a mask area that i can't find what game object its attached too.
    I have a huge scene with thousands of game objects.

idk what to do. I can't find it.
    I organized my project of course but idk some how this one got put in the wrong place.

Edit: I think the reason I can't find it is cause its not a mask area maybe.
    In theory i should be able to click on the most parent game object and it should show the mask but it doesn't. So its like it doesn't exist.

This has to be a mask area though lol
    I'm not using any special rules just mask areas and texture rules.
    I'm also pretty sure I remember adding this mask area here too.

I just realized I bet if the area mask component is collapsed on the game object it won't show the mask area out line. So thats probably why selecting game Object parents isn't working to locate it.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  22. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

I've been looking for an answer, but without success. Here goes my question.

My game uses PHOTON for the multiplayer. When I make an instance of the prefab (a car with an onboard camera), the vegetation studio system loses the camera and no vegetation appears.

Is it possible to incorporate cameras at run time?
    Is there a tutorial?

Thank you.

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a cameraSelector component you can add to the camera or call VegetationStudioManager.AddCamera(camera);

Lennart

Barritico likes this.
  24. Barritico

Barritico

Ok.
    I will try it again, but in the first attempts it has not worked.
    Thank you.

25. Shadowing

Shadowing

I have a particle system attached to a prefab on a tree. For falling leaves. It doesn't seem to be playing? Not sure how to even check it since trees aren't game objects.
    Could Vegetation studio prevent particle system from playing/working.

Or whats the work around on doing falling leaves?

26. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Ÿou make a prefab of the particleSystem and add it to the run-time prefab spawner. Add a rule for that tree.
    It will then be created when close to the camera

Lennart

27. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

Hello, I've suddenly been having errors with Vegetation Studio Pro after updating to the latest version that I am unable to figure out how to fix. It occurs both in the editor when out of run time, in scene view and during runtime whenever I'm within the particular scene. This did not occur until I updated to the latest version.

https://i.imgur.com/6isFEz8.png
    https://i.imgur.com/7TBANZM.png
    https://i.imgur.com/jzeFbu4.png
    https://i.imgur.com/jlC4sLG.png
    https://i.imgur.com/aJ4PxAK.png

I've already deleted and reinstalled Vegetation Studio Pro and that didn't resolve it either.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated. Thank you.

28. Shadowing

Shadowing

I got hit with this error today.
    I only got this error when I woke up though while I was doing a lightmap bake and it error said i ran out of system memory.
    Other wise Persistent data for vegetation studio was working fine all yesterday before that.
    Maybe cause I didn't hit clear before hitting bank on vegetation studio?

Serialized file size of 5.10 GB (5478618852 bytes) exceeds maximum. File name: 'C:/Users/26horses/Documents/Unity Game Projects/Ancient Rings/Assets/PersistentVegetationStorageData/PersistentVegetationStorage_4bb6332d-16bc-45cf-a223-493a1c9769d9.asset'. Serialized files over 4.00 GB (4294967295 bytes) cannot be loaded by the player. Some likely ways to reduce this are utilizing asset bundles, re-balancing asset locations, or limiting their serialized size e.g. limiting the maximum texture sizes.

Edit: I guess that prevents me from using that storage even in the editor.
    So weird it worked yesterday.
    So created a new storage and baked it the same again and vegetation studio works fine now.
    Only thing i did differently was I was baking lighting for my scene. Does that add to the vegetation studio storate too?

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  29. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

It looks like the new shader for ST8 is not working. If I select "replace shader" then all the trees disappear. This is the case for both instanced and Instanced Indirect render mode. If I use "normal" render mode the SpeedTrees return but the shaders are pink. Am I missing a step?
    Thanks

30. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

If you find the speedtree shader in the folder does it compile properly or do you have any errors?
    VS_Speedtree8.shader

What Unity version are you using? This is the standard render pipeline?

Lennart

31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No, could you maybe have baked the storage 2 times? It will add more instances if you bake again.

Lennart

32. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

There are no compilation shaders. The shader I found is "VS_Speedtree.shader" not "VS_Speedtree8.shader".
    As a test I edited the shader and renamed it "VS_Speedtree8.shader" and recompiled.
    Now the trees reappear but they look wrong. The alpha cutoff for example is not working

I am using unity 2018.3

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

did you download the project on 2018.2 before? Only the 1.2 version has the speedtree shader and it needs to be downloaded from 2018.3. That is when they added speedtree 8 support. I could not add it to the 2018.2 download since that would not compile.

Lennart

34. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Hi! Is it possible to set the Global LOD level via script? Cheers.

35. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

I just upgraded the project to 2019 and reimported VS but it only imports a VS_Speedtree.shader. No VS_Speedtree8.shader.

It is strange because I can see form the list of the package contents on the store that the shaders folder should contain a VS_Speedtree8.shader

I tried creating a completely new project in both 2018.3 and 2019. In both cases the VS_Speedtree8.shader is missing

36. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Delete the asset store cache and download again.

PiAnkh likes this.
  37. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

That did the trick. Works like a charm now. Thanks!!

38. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

Still looking for any help in regards to this issue, completely unable to fix it so far. Thanks.

39. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Sorry. I thought you messaged med on Discord also. Was probably someone else.
    Do you mind joining the Discord server and message me there? Easier to debug with a text chat.

Link in my signature.

I am not in the office now but will be working a bit tomorrow.

Lennart

40. Shadowing

Shadowing

What can we do about grass going off the edge like this

41. Troast

Troast

Hi, nice asset but until HDRP support, no use. When?

42. Shadowing

Shadowing

@LennartJohansen

Hey man the new height adjustment feature needs more improving I think. Also thank you a ton for listening about adding that in btw.

Really needs to be a setting based on percentage of the height after rotation.
    Make the two way slider min of 0 and max of 100.

This way you will never will place a rock under the terrain where you can't see it or will never place it off the ground. Maybe something prevents that 2nd situation idk.

Other wise I have to go through each rock figuring out how many units it can be pushed into the ground. Also what if I enable rotation on a axis that changes the height. Then there is nothing I could do to prevent it.

PeterB likes this.
  43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Pretty sure HDRP needs to go out of preview first

44. wumn

wumn

HI, can VegetationStudioPro work well with WorldStreamer now?

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Have a look here. There is a setting on the terrains in VegetationStudioPro that will have them auto register when additive scenes is loaded/unloaded.
    This is basically what WorldStreamer does when you move the camera around.

Lennart

46. PeterB

PeterB

Seconded. This was actually part of my proposal (I suggested the feature).

47. xsence

xsence

guys,
    I'm sorry I'm sitting at the computer for 6 hours and my head does not want to work)
    coild you tell me how to make destructible trees. When I place without a studio - everything works.
    link to test youtube video

MK1_Dev likes this.
  48. Shadowing

Shadowing

Vegetation Studio 1.2.0 (current)
    Unity 2019.1.6

After upgrading from 2018 to 2019. I have massive lag during run time in the editor.
    Took me a while to figure out the cause I started at the top slowly disabling things.

If I set Grass, Plant, Tree, Object and Large Object density to 0 and hit bake.
    The lag is still there.
    If I disable the VegetationStudioPro in the Hierarchy the lag goes away.
    I also disabled Runtime spawns.

infact adding all density settings back to 1 and hitting bake it doesn't even increase the lag.
    I kept slowly decreasing one to 0 at a time kept testing made hardly any difference.

Now I'm not totally sure if this lag happen due to 2019 upgrade. Could of been from just adding more vegetation items.
    But It happens with density settings all set to 0. Would the amount of vegetation items matter even if they are all set to 0 and baked?

So right now vegetation studio has some massive overhead even when its not populating vegetation.

I do get this error though every time I enter run time.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AwesomeTechnologies.TerrainSystem.TerrainSystemProEditor.OnDisable () (at Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Editor/TerrainSystemPro/Editor/TerrainSystemProEditor.cs:34)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes(Type[])

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  49. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hey- I just saw this video:

While I like what Vegetation studio creates, my framerates are around 12-15 FPS, on a top-of-the-line ASUS machine- see attached screenshot. This is with draw distance taken down to the absolute minimum.

Can you tell me what are the best ways to ensure better performance with vegetation studio?

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      358.4 KB
      Views:
  50. Shadowing

Shadowing

Should beable to get 120 fps with trees set to 300, grass set to 100 in distance. If you have a ground character 100 distance for grass is good enough. Really can't see past that.

But right now in 2019 there is a massive performance problem. I only get 15 fps now.