Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

IL2CPP compiler issue with jobs.

We managed to identity the problem with IL2CPP compiled jobs. It is confirmed with Unity waiting for them to add a fix.
    Adding a vote on the bug might speed up the process.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...when-passing-nativelist-to-a-ijobparallellfor

I managed to do a prototype workaround but it needs a bit of rewrite and forcing some syncpoints we do not want in the spawning loop. Better to get the fix from Unity.

Lennart

Bartolomeus755, gecko and Rowlan like this.
  2. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I am sure that this has been ask but I will ask again... Can VS Pro handle Book of the Dead assets?

3. castor76

castor76

popping here again to remind that speed tree 8 setting for vegetation pro is not working as intended. It has setting for top and trunk but changing setting for any of them just doesn't do anything.

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I bought some speedtree 8s today to test. I had a deeper look at the shader also. It does not have the same enum with parts of the tree anymore. To detect what material to adjust I think I have to test material names. Not perfect but I think the naming is standard on the exported trees.

I will update when I know more.

Hi. If you convert the assets to the standard render pipeline and use a shader that support instancing I think it should work good.

Lennart

Willbkool_FPCS and Rowlan like this.
  5. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

Hey Lennart, let us know if we can help.

Thanks!

Rowlan, sarum and LennartJohansen like this.
  6. castor76

castor76

I was wondering if there can ever be some kind of occlusion culling be possible for the trees and grasses. My guess is that is is not going to work with Unity's occlusion culling, since it may require deeper integration with the Unity, but maybe we can do some kind of GPU based culling like some other asset packages do.. such as this one :
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/gpu-instancer-117566

Trees may not occlude anything else, but even if they are culled away (occludee only) by other solid game objects it may improve performance a lot for indoor-outdoor combined levels.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  7. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Hi, I observed big spikes in frame time(game stutter very badly), its very visible when moving camera around, and started to stutter after my implementation of VSP in game, just tested in build and its as bad as in editor, disabling jobs debugger and leak detection doesn't help. Time is spent on BatchQuery.ExecuteRaycastJob(140ms!!).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  8. Shadowing

Shadowing

ehh the culling system works amazing. Idk what the issue is?
    look at scene mode while moving your character around you can see the vegetation being culled anywhere the camera isn't pointed at.

RonnyDance likes this.
  9. castor76

castor76

I am not talking about frustrum culling. I know that one works. I am talking about occlusion culling. So if tree is completely behind a solid wall and camera is looking at the wall, the tree behind the wall should not draw. In Unity, we can do this by baking occlusion data, and for the vegetation, some assets handle this by some GPU based occlusion culling such as the one I have linked above.

10. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

After tests I'm positive it's runtime grass spawner causing this problem.
    I have 200m grass rendering distance, but even if I change this to like 80m spikes are still unacceptable :/
    Whats even more crazy is that if you take all threads into account total time for raycasts is 500ms~! I have quite normal settings for grass and have 5 prefabs to spawn(grass-2dTextures).
    It took me lot of time to implement this runtime spawning grass in game and work with megaSplat, but now game sttuters like crazy and I have no idea whan can I do to fix it, feel helpless.
    If I use mesh terrain instead of raycast will it help? Or mesh terrains also use this method to spawn grass?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. Shadowing

Shadowing

Hey was curious how big is your terrain tile? I had hella issues when I was using 16k. I'm down to 4k now.

12. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

It's total size is 2kmx2km with 512m each tile. Im also using texture mask thats size of this terrain, but I checked and it doesn't affect performance negatively.

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. If you could join the discord server and message me I can help you look at this. Easier with a text chat.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

14. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Got it fixed thanks to Lennart fast(as always;) help- fix is to use meshTerrain instead of raycastTerrain.

15. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Development update.

Hi. I am preparing the 1.1 update for Vegetation Studio Pro.
    Here is the changelog.

Lennart

Improvements
    • Added Collider baking to the scene for use with Navmesh Baking
    • Added SceneVegetationBaker component.
    • Added VegetationColorMaskCreator component.
    • Added ShadowMaskCreator component
    • Added ObstacleMaskCreator component
    • Added repeat functionality on texture masks
    • Added LightLoader component that helps you add run-time loaded directional lights for shadow culling
    • Added custom shader controller class for the SyntyStudio Nature pack trees.
    • Added custom bilboard atlas render shader for SyntyStudio Polygon Nature trees.
    • Colliders now get the layer set for the VegetationItem
    • Added shader controller for CTI trees supporting billboard snow, rain, wind and other settings
    • Added Snow Color and Snow Specular color to the Environment settings. These will be passed to shader controller classes
    • Colliders can now have custom tags set.
    • Mesh Colliders can now be set to convex
    • Colliders now have a NavmeshArea setting that is applied when baking the colliders
    • Added global shader variables for microsplat shadow and grass mask.
    Changes
    • Added early rejection of cells with 0 instances of a vegetation item in the render loop.
    • Increased resolution and added job interpolation on splatmap curves to reduce some banding issues.
    • Added GenerateSplatMap function that takes a single terrain
    • Splatmap noise rules are now in worldspace and will work across terrain borders independent of terrain size and splatmap resolution
    • Splatmap generation is now done in sequence for multi terrain setups. Lowering memory requirements for multi terrain setups
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue with double info components on colliders from prefab
    • Remove Using not needed in PolygonBiomeMask.cs
    • Added better interpolation on the splat map generation rule curves
    • Fix for windzone speed not affection FAE wind controller.
    • Fix for error that could happen if a texture mask(Texture2D) was edited while in use.
    • Fix for lightprobes giving darker areas with instanced indirect rendered vegetation
    • Removed unused using in IVegetationStudioCamera code
    • Fix for ClearBillboardCellsCache giving an error if called before billboard system is set up properly.
    • Updated naming in menu when creating VegetationPackages
    • Fixed culling issue where tree height was not considered in cell visibility culling.
    • Heatmap on terrain is now disabled after generation from key shotcut and BiomeAreaMask Inspector
    • VegetationMasks can now add nodes on MeshTerrain
    • Fix for billboard shadows not working in 2018.3
    • Fix for colliders not working on run-time added cameras
    • Fix for run-time prefabs not working on run-time added cameras
    • Fix for run-time prefabs not working on run-time added cameras

16. Zante

Zante

Can this convert terrains to mesh objects and retain the associated vegetation studio behaviours/data?

17. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Vegetation Studio can not do the terrain to mesh conversion, but if you have a mesh terrain you can set up spawing rules for that. Terrain texture (splatmap) rules will not work on mesh terrain since they do not have a splatmap to sample.

You could do spawning on a UnityTerrain, bake the result to the persistent storage and load that with a MeshTerrain version. If you do this you need to make sure the mesh terrain follows the original terrain accurate enough to have the baked vegetation follow the new terrain surface.

Have a look here for some more info about mesh terrain support.

Lennart

MarkusGod likes this.
  18. Lewnatic

Lewnatic

Hello i got one question. Is vegetation Studio compatible with World Creator Pro and World Streamer?

19. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. World Creator creates UnityTerrains and Vegetation Studio works with Unity Terrains. Should work good.
    I have not worked with much World Streamer but I know there is many developers using it with Vegetation Studio.

The terrain components in VS Pro has a feature to auto add themself to the VegetationSystem when loaded run-time from a scene like World Streamer does.

Lennart

Lewnatic likes this.
  20. Lewnatic

Lewnatic

Thanks for the lightning fast reply. :)

21. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

If you have any more questions just join the discord server and message me direct.
    Link in my signature.

Lennart

22. edgarhsanchez

edgarhsanchez

How do you show/hide a tree or other object pro grammatically. I want to configure my biomes but then based on various user states/interactions change the visibility and other properties of the objects that are being dynamically added by veg studio (pro)

23. LandPlanOS

LandPlanOS

Dear Lennart,
    Hi folks,

my Name is Stefan and I´am a newbe user of Vegetation Studio Pro (VSP).

As You may guess I have as newbe some kind of problems ...

As an intro some background informations:
    - My origin is the GIS branch, or more precise: GIS for Landscape architecture.
    - My goal, which I try to achive is the visualisation of larger areas (i.e. 15x15 km) in the konext of infrastructure projectes (Wind Powerplants, Highways, Powerlines, etc.)
    - My unity Version right now ist 2018.3.0f2

Right now I have two areas of interest (call it problems):
    At first: When I set up a new project and install VSP, I get a lot of warnings in the console (01_ConsoleWarnings.jpg)

The second (and my main problem) is, that things (vegetation mask´s) don´t work like they should (or as I expect as they should) but I guess I do the right things, but do them right.

My approache is doing things like You mention it in the manual:
    I set up two biomes (02_BiomeOne.jpg, 03_BiomeTwo). The flowers I use should work, I tested them within Your Demo project.
    For the second Biome I checked the "Use with Vegetatioin Mask" (04_UseVegetationMask.jpg) and assigned it to the Vegetation Type 2.
    Then I used the VegetationMaskArea prefab and assigned the VegetationType2 to it.

But as You can see in 05_VegetationMaskAreaPrefab.jpg neither the default (MyBiomeOne) nor the Vegetation Mask work.

Also I´am a bit confused about terms: vegetation packages/biomes .
    - What is (in Your defenition und context) a vegetation package and what is a biome, what do they have in commen and what are the differences?
    - For me a vegetation package is something like the assets from Nature Manufacture.
    - And a biome is for me a biotope/habitat in the meaning of a vegetation association of a certain kind (i.e. water reeds around a lake).
    - By the way: is the mumber of biomes limited? And if so, to which number.
    - Another question: is there a difference between the biomes I create by myself and the one I can choose in the biomes tab (Select biome)?
    Is it possible (if so: how?) can I alter the list of the biomes listed there?
    What is the key difference between BiomeMaskAreas and VegetationMaskArea?

I´am sure that we have a kind of PICNIC (problem is in front of the computer, not in the computer) but RTFM didn´t help ... so please light my fire. ;-)

Stefan

View attachment 370636 View attachment 370639

Attached Files:

24. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

If you want to change the spawning rules run-time you can get access to the VegetationItemInfo class of each vegetation item. They are exposed on the VegetationPackagePro object in a VegetationItemList.

When you have changed values you can clear the cache on the VegetationSystemPro component and the next frame it will respawn with the changed rules. The clear cache function has an overloaded version that can clear the cache for a single item also.

If you join the discord server and message me there I can explain more. Link in my signature below.

Lennart

25. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi Stefan.

1. Just ignore the warnings. Unity changed the name of a NativeList function in the latest package. I will make a change for Unity 2018.3 but I want to wait a few weeks to see if the latest package does not have any other issues. Making the change direct would force everyone to update to the lastest collections package. Everything works as it shoud.

2. A vegetation package is a set of rules where you can add trees, grass rocks etc to. It is a scriptable object saved in your project. All rules in a vegetation package makes a biome you can use with the VegetationSystem component. This could be a forest, desert etc.

3. There is no real limit of the number of biomes you can add but as you add more biomes that each have different tress and plants you will get more drawcalls because you have more variants.

4. When you create a biome yourself you select a biome type from the list, what is closest to what your are making. Or one of the generic. When you later make a Biome Mask area you select what biome you want in that area.

This mapping to a generic type is done for 3rd party tool integration. Where a river tool like RAM makes a river biome area for its river, or a lake biome area for a lake. If your system has a river biome (vegetation package) added it will spawn this there. This way the biome mask area only need to know it is a river, not know about spesific vegetation packages in your project. You can also change a summer to a winter "forest" biome by swapping out the Vegetation Package. No need to modify all the masks. they know they are a forest.

you can not change the pre configured list (without changing code)

5. The biome mask area defines an area where you want all the vegetation from a vegetation package/biome. The vegetation masks are biome independent and designed to mask out vegetation. You can add a VegetationMaskLine to a road. A vegetation mask area to a house and when you add the house to the terrain the vegetation will mask.

There is some include/localized vegetation functionality on the VegetationMasks. You can include vegetation here but biomes are more flexible. The include functionality was designed for standard Vegetation Studio that does not have biome support. They are still there for compability with old configured masks.

About your setup could you join the discord server and message me there? Easier with a text chat. I have some questions.

Link in the signature below.

Lennart

26. Crossway

Crossway

Every time I rotate camera game gets stuck for about 2-3 seconds! Frame rates is good I get 80 fps. I didn't have same issue with regular VS.

27. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I just wondering..... where are we at with biomes packages.

28. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I will post here when there is more info.

Lennart

29. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

That sounds a bit strange. Do you mind joining the discord server and message me. Then we can debug there. Easier with a text chat.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

30. tredpro

tredpro

After the update I'm getting the error that dynamicmethod could not be found. I deleted my folder and did a fresh install same issue.

Unity 2018.3.5f1

Thank you for your time

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yesterday there was a discussion on the Vegetation Studio discord about how to create a good looking wheat field. At first I thought I'd go with the recently purchased SpeeTree v8 Wheat. After all, the trees are great, so Wheat should be great as well. But it turned out that a model isn't useful in this case, mostly because of the thin lines and shadowing. It just doesn't work. Especially when you move the camera. Doesn't mean that SpeedTree v8 isn't awsome, quite the opposite, I can highly recommend it. It's just not useful in this case. By the way, all the trees are SpeedTrees in the scene, I thought I'd make a little run through it :)

Today user lightwater mentioned the Rustic Grass of @turboscalpeur which I purchased some time ago and which contained Wheat. So I tried it and I have to say it works for me. So I used it in a Biome and with the Touch React System of Vegetation Studio Pro. See for yourself. I thought the wiggling tail of Irval the Wyvern would be ideal to show the grass bending. Looks like this:

Some closer screenshots for detail:

wheat .jpg

wagon.jpg

As comparison, here is the version with the speetree model:

wheat.jpg

and with HDRP:

wheat hdrp.jpg

Just an fyi, I thought I'd share my findings in case anyone comes up with a similar question.

ps: the Vegetation Studio community is awesome :)

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've learned form @LennartJohansen that there's a feature which allows you to have a touch react system on a trail renderer. I totally had to try that. Here's the result:

Imagine the possibilities: Car drives over grass and grass remains down, etc. Very awesome. Here's a little write-up in case you guys want to try for yourself:

Create a layer that reflects the one in the Touch React System Settings. In my case it's 29.

1.png

2.png

Create a GameObject and attach it to your character. In my case it was the dragon. Add a Trail Renderer and the TouchReact material to it. Set the layer to the TouchReact layer.

You might want to hide that layer in the Culling Mask settings of your Camera.

Well, that was it. Most awesome feature, but hardly known. I hope that will change :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    jeromeWork, tredpro, Vondox and 7 others like this.
  33. negativecap

negativecap

Out of curiosity. I'd like to attach a biome mask to tree prefabs so that there's a different ruleset governing the area immediately surrounding (and under) the trees. IE a forest biome with little island biomes under each tree generated in the forest. I tried quick and it didn't work but I couldn't spend a lot of time. Is such a thing possible? I'm sure I'm just going about it wrong...

34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

That sounds like .Net compability level not set to 4.x on player settings.

Lennart

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You can not add scripts to trees you spawn with Vegetation Studio. They are not gameobject only instances in memory. This is why rendering is faster than processing huge amounts of GameObjetcs.

Lennart

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

I made a quick script today to put the GameObject handle inside of the Biome and Vegetation Area Masks. Thought I'd share in case anyone else has use for it.

Features:

* Center: put GameObject drag handle into the center of the convex hull of the Mask
    * Grow: grow the Mask by 10%
    * Shrink: shrink the Mask by 10%

Usage:

* Just extract to your project and use the BiomeMaskAreaExtension.cs and VegetationMaskAreaExtension.cs for your Mask GameObjects.

Looks like this, click thumbnail to see it animated.

Biome Area Mask:

biome.gif

Vegetation Area Mask:

areamask.gif

In the inspector:

ext.jpg

Attached Files:

37. local306

local306

@LennartJohansen does Vegetation Studio Pro support 2018.3 yet? Everything but the sky in the demo environment renders black for me. I've configured a new project as described in the documentation :(

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. 2018.3.x should work good. Do you get any errors? The terrain itself in the demo is Unity standard terrain shader. If that does not render properly it does not seem to be a VSP related problem.

If you join the Discord server and message me I can help you debug.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

local306 likes this.
  39. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

How would VSP cope with terrains and VSP scripts that move with the terrains? I have a world split into 1km terrains, and to avoid the float inaccuracies, I move the current terrain to position 0,0, loading and unloading terrains as needed.

40. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. There is a "floating origin anchor" Transform you can set. The original position is recorded at startup and all vegetation gets an offset when rendering based on the movement of this Transform. Offset change is instant and does not take any extra calculation time.

Lennart

LukeDawn likes this.
  41. Manul_

Manul_

Are there any news regarding real-time mask textures or is there any other way to make changing a vegetation mask area every frame more performant?

42. Shadowing

Shadowing

@LennartJohansen was wondering if any chance you can move Awesome Technologies to go under Tools instead of under Windows in the editor?

These 3 Huge Assets on the store uses Tools. I have others using Windows to though but they are less important assets and I plan to ask them to move them to tools as well.
    NatureManufacture
    Opsive
    Odin

I know i can do this real fast my self by editing but then id have to do it every time i update Vegetation Studio lol.

43. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

Hi Lennart,

The Lightweight Render Pipeline should be production ready with the 2019.1 release. Any plans / progress on LWRP support for Vegetation Studio Pro and Vegetation Studio Standard?

Thanks.

44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The new API for the shader graph has not been released yet. They said 2019.1 but still nothing... That is needed to make custom nodes for the functionality I need for billboards etc. When that is out i will start to experiment a bit.

Lennart

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No news yet but I have some ideas on how to make this easier to extend that the implementation that is in Vegetation Studio. I will post updates here when I have something.

Lennart

dan_wipf likes this.
  46. Waterlane

Waterlane

'just wanted to say that I've used Vegetation Studio Pro recently to complete work on a demo... I've found it to be really useful and feel I've only scratched the surface of what it can do (I'll probably be back with lots of questions later - lol).
    Cheers.
    (A few more tutorials/docs would be handy though... :) )

IsDon and Rowlan like this.
  47. namdo

namdo

Quick question, how do i spawn trees over a cliff mesh?

48. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just fyi, in case anyone wants to do the same: I thought I'd try the new Meadow Environment update with HDRP and couldn't be bothered to place all that vegetation manually. So I tried VS Pro, although I knew it's not fully supporting HDRP currently. Worked quite nice if you use models for grass and plants. Here's some screens, in case anyone is interested. The conifers are SpeedTrees, rest is all Meadow Environment.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

49. Rowlan

Rowlan

I tried VS Pro some more in HDRP, this time in 2019 and HDRP 5. Hint for those who'd like to do the same: HDRP doesn't have Post Processing v2 in the classic sense. VS Pro requires it, so you need to import it. However, it won't have any effect, HDRP has its own stuff. What you need in order to get the post processing is select the Volume Settings, click Component Overrides. This will have a submenu Post Processing which has another submenu in which you can find the usual Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, Tonemapping, etc. I've wasted an hour trying to find out why PP didn't work, then I googled and thankfully found hippocoder's post regarding this. I thought I'd share that info in case anyone else runs into this.

menu.png

Totally worth to try that stuff out, Vegetation is created using VS Pro :D (instanced, no billboards since that doesn't work yet)

1.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    ftejada, Waterlane and dan_wipf like this.
  50. sarum

sarum

post processing works fine with HDRP .. just update via Package manager (both PP and HDRP) :)