Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. holdingjason

holdingjason

UPDATE: There is no issue with Cinemachine. I had a camera script that had not been disabled with the Virtual Camera took over that was moving the camera after culling etc was done. Once that was disabled it worked fine.

Some more info on that virtual camera issue.

This is the issue that we are seeing. The main camera that usually works is being controlled by the VC I have verified its in the correct spot etc. However no veg is showing up, well weird except the shadows from the trees (trees rendered via veg). If I pause and step through this the shadows for the trees flicker, ie show up at the start of the frame and then go off, which is super weird.

upload_2019-1-16_7-19-5.png

Then we have this shot just a little later when the VC pans the main camera around in a circle. You can see the veg shows up close to the camera but is missing in the background there. It is like something is being fed into the distance check for rendering veg wrong.

upload_2019-1-16_7-23-10.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I think we will have to investigate a bit. Maybe extend the internal camera solution to get position and frustum from the virtual camera.

Do you mind joining the discord server and message me there? We can try to get this to work.
    Easier to debug on a text chat.

Lennart

3. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

That was that lol. Sorry for blaming VSP for my oversight, and thanks for pointing that out ;

4. tredpro

tredpro

So can this version be used in android? If so may I get the steps?

5. whidzee

whidzee

Hello, I recently got Vegetation Studio Pro. I am having troubles generating the splatmap and getting the vegetation to spawn on my terrain.

I have followed the Setting Up Vegetation Studio Pro pdf file, great file by the way) and I get to the end where it says to generate a splatmap and i get stuck. I watched a youtube video showing how it's done and he just clicks on the generate splat map button like in the pdf tutorial and he gets his splatmap appearing. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or might be missing.

I don't get any errors appearing in the console

Also I cannot work out how to get vegetation to spawn. I'm sure it's something simple, I just cannot find it.

Any help would be appreciated

6. Crossway

Crossway

I get 7 errors after importing Amplify Shader Editor.

Assets\AwesomeTechnologies\TouchReactSystemPro\Editor\AmplifyNodes\TouchReactNode.cs(11,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ParentNode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. That was fixed in 1.0.1 version that is on the asset store now. If you upgraded from 1.0 it will require you to delete the AwesomeTechnologies folder and reimport from the package. This is becayse I had to move the amplify integration out of the assembly definition file and Unity does not move files when updating packages.

If you want to fix it manually make the Integration/Editor/AmplifyNodes folders and move the TouchReactNode.cs file there. Or you can delete it if you do not plan to make a custom grass shader with touch react.

Image 976.png

Lennart

Crossway likes this.
  8. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Do you have a Vegetation package/Biome set as a default biome? You need this.

If you join the Discord server and message me there I can help you out. Easier with a text chat when debuging.

Link in my signature below.

Lennart

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I have not done any Android testing but in theory it should work on high end devices. Vegetation Studio Pro requires Shader Model 5.0 support since it uses Compute shaders. It also needs Jobs and the Burst compiler.

Unity is adding support for Burst on more platforms all the time (plan to support all) but I am not sure of the status for Android. There is also a know burst compiler issue with IL2CPP compiling but Mono works good.

I do recommend desktop hardware for Vegetation Studio since the gain from instancing is better with a lot of instances and mobile GPUs will limit how many instances you can render due to vertex count.

Lennart

10. Crossway

Crossway

VS Grass shader is really good but is that possible to use that shader as a tree shader too? I don't like speed tree shader.

11. Wxug

Wxug

Hello,

OK, I have a question maybe simple... how I change textures in Vegetation Package Pro? Can't find any information on that and I bought some really beautiful textures I can't use for the splatemap for the moment... :-/

12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It would depend on the mesh. The grass meshes have vertex colors with bend and phase info for wind. The tree would need the same data in the mesh.

Lennart

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

On the Edit Terrain textures tab of the TerrainSystemPro component you can read textures from a terrain, apply to terrains or swap out the textures in the vegetation package.

See here for more info.

Lennart

14. Wxug

Wxug

Hiiiiii! Found, THANKS. :)

15. Wxug

Wxug

Ahem, just clicked on Generate Biome Splatemaps and...

upload_2019-1-19_16-3-7.png

Do you have any idea?

Attached Files:

16. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. My guess is that you do not have any textures on the terrain. You can apply them on the Edit Terrain Textures tab.
    I will try to add a warning if the Terrains texture count does not match the one in the Vegetation Package.

Lennart

17. Wxug

Wxug

You are right.

I thought I could directly add the textures of the biome, so I did not think to apply a texture with this button.

Thanks again.

18. tredpro

tredpro

When it flickers off you can see the terrain just nothing created by vegetation studio pro

19. ksam2

ksam2

I made a plant with your grass shader and put a ColorNoise for it so it looks correct like below pic.

But when I use this plant on the vegetation studio it looks wrong like below pic (Because it doesn't use the ColorNoise I placed on the material)

20. StevanJay

StevanJay

No rush, but is there an ETA on when those microsplat mask creators will be integrated...? :)

PeterB likes this.
  21. castor76

castor76

How do you handle the lightmapped terrain with VSP? the grass doesn't seem to pickup the shading from the lightmap. Do we have to use light probe for this? If so we are talking about a lot of probes here :)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  22. PeterB

PeterB

This happened to me intermittently on my MacBook Pro with dual GPUs, until I switched off Automatic Graphics Switching under Energy Saver in System Preferences. The actual switch, which OS X does when it thinks it's necessary, briefly turns off VS rendering.

23. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Anytime HDRP will have support with Vegetation studio, so we can make our own Opaque Master and Foliage master Shaders for indirect instancing in HDRP?

24. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I will try to have them done soon. Next update just taking a bit longer than planned.

Instanced vegetation is rendered like dynamic objects and can not be lightmapped. Unity is adding a job based way of sampling lightprobes and applying to instanced vegetation but that is not ready yet. It is possible to do this now on the main thread but that is slow. When the job based sampling is ready will try to add it to the render loop.

Could it be like @PeterB said? do you have a multi GPU computer?

Lennart

25. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. the color noise texture is not replaced when rendered with Vegetation Studio.

But it is based on worldspace position and the mask sampling and will change based on position. The noise texture is used to blend from Tint color A to tint color B based on the value of each channel in the color noise mask. By default this uses a grayscale mask with the same value in all channels.

Lennart

26. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is only partial support for HD and LW SRP.

The spawning system and render loop works in the SRPs and I made some custom nodes for the shader graph to add instanced indirect support for shaders. Have a look here for the ShaderGraph Nodes.

The billboard system, heatmap preview for splatmap generation and the included grass shader does not work.

The SRPs are still in preview and change every release, the only way to get proper lighting added is to use the shader graph to have shader recompile automatically with changes.

What I want to test is to make custom nodes for the billboard system to get all the shadow and vertex functionality in a shader graph node. Problem is that Unity just scrapped the NodeAPI in HD 5.2 (i think it was this version) and the new is not released yet.

Lennart

27. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Nice, didn't know it was already in here, so I can make my own HDRP shaders for VS no problem now(following the unreeal engine landscape tutorial).

28. Manul_

Manul_

Hi,
    I found a bug. If you copy a 2d vegetation item that has no prefab and paste it, the pasted vegetation item requires a prefab and does not work with 2d plants.
    Another Question:
    Is is possible to use real-time mask textures like with the old Vegetation Studio (like with the Microsplat dynamic flows demo) ?

29. castor76

castor76

Will we be able to expect new SpeedTree 8 support for this asset in any time soon? It has just been released for Unity!
    Need it so badly!

StevanJay likes this.
  30. castor76

castor76

Just tried Speed Tree 8 with VSP and it works great out of the box! Awesome!

I just wanted to point out that speed tree 8 setting under the VSP ( colors ) doesn't work for the non billboards. But I can change the setting at the prefab level and then refresh prefab to take that effect. Something that should be looked on.

Also Instance indirect is not working for SP8 trees. I wonder if this is a Unity and Speed tree limitation?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  31. castor76

castor76

When I have ...example a large rock, I do not mind if they intersect the other rocks, but how can I make it so that the trees don't intersect on the rocks?

I can try to use the same setting for the perlin noise and then invert them, but there are many trees that uses the different setting for the noise.

Do I need to attach some kind of mask to the rock prefab to mask out the trees? But if so, the rocks can be rotated around so the mask will not be correct?

32. ksam2

ksam2

Light probes doesn't work for me with VS Pro! is was working before with the original version.

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Thanks. I will get it fixed.

There is no interface for that in Pro. I did not think anyone used it except for my demo video. I can probably add it again but I think it should be more configurable. What kind of effect are you trying to make?

Lennart

34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. The shader has to be updated for instanced indirect support. Have a look here.
    For speedtree 7 I included an modified version of the shader with VS Pro and replace the shader run-time.

I am in the process of porting the obstacle mask creator to Pro now. When that is done you can generate a obstacle mask with the scene vegetation baker and this. Then apply that as an exclude mask for trees.

Lennart

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I have been waiting for a new job based version of the lightprobe sampling that Unity is adding. The current interface is slow and blocks the main thread. With multi core sampling this will be much nicer to use.
    I did not want to implement the old API with a new one comming.

Lennart

36. ksam2

ksam2

So my forest gonna stay dark till they add new light probe sampling :( But the old version was great for me with VS because I used a big light probe for a big area without losing any frame rates with a good result.

37. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I will have a look to see how much work it would be to hack in the old API while we wait.

Lennart

ksam2 likes this.
  38. Backtotheroot

Backtotheroot

Hi, first of all great asset. I'm really happy with the product. I’m not sure if this was already answered before but I couldn’t find something about it so far. I'm working on a multiplayer project at the moment and I was wondering, is it possible to have all colliders active and not only the ones around the camera? In this scenario I have an authoritative master client and therefore I need to handle collisions for all players not only the local one.

39. Baraff

Baraff

Or perhaps better still, colliders active around each player instead of all colliders which may help with efficiency.

40. Manul_

Manul_

Hi, thanks for the answer.
    The effect i want to create is very similar to the one in the demo, except that I draw the controltexture for microsplat myself. I have streams that change every frame per script and I draw the controltexture for microsplat and would like to use the same texture for vegetation studio pro, too. At the moment I hack the effect by scaling and updating corresponding vegetation mask areas, but that seems to have quite a high cpu impact, especially if multiple vegetation cells are effected.

41. castor76

castor76

Can you also include Speed Tree 8 modified version and implement the same way as 7?

Also, what about the speed tree 8 setting not working issue I have mentioned?

42. Shadowing

Shadowing

@LennartJohansen When my character stomps grass down. Is there a setting somewhere that increases how long the grass stays laying down? Its way to short for my liking.

I also noticed if my character is standing still in the grass it can glitch out a little. the grass blades. I'm gonna fix that by disabling the effect when he is idle. But idk that will make the grass lay back up instantly though so idk.

43. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ya i think grass height feature would be super useful. For example. i have a military base where the grass would be more maintain then it would out in the wild. Or I just want a certain field to have super tall grass.

44. Rowlan

Rowlan

I checked out SpeedTree v8 this week and was quite impressed. Resulted in purchasing lots of trees for me. In case anyone would like to see how SpeedTree v8 can look like, here's a quick test, a modification of the Vegetation Studio Pro demo scene:

Fyi, if you'd like to try out yourself, just register a free account and download the modeler from their site. It has export only functionaly and comes with a few example trees. Just open them and export them to Unity.

ftejada, Bartolomeus755 and tredpro like this.
  45. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

If you own old Unity speedtree packages you should be able to convert them to Speedtree 8 using Unity 2018. Thats what the support told me. Speedtree themselfes will not update old Unity packages like Desktop / Hero / Gaia Packages. You will have to update them by yourself. Didn't try it out because I am still running on LTS release. But they look pretty decent.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Rowlan likes this.
  46. Shadowing

Shadowing

Is that dragon from the Asset store?

47. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

48. PeterB

PeterB

Any pointers on to how to convert them?

49. RonnyDance

RonnyDance