Search Unity

[Released] Vegetation Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LennartJohansen, Jun 29, 2018.

1. zelmund

zelmund

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.Mathematics' (Assets/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Runtime/AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationStudioPro.Runtime.asmdef)

unity 2018.3
    vs pro + meadow environment only

((

all 5 add packages installed, but still spam or errors

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Shadowing

Shadowing

I doubt vegetation even supports 2018.3 yet zelmund. It was a huge update. will take time for everyone to get there assets upgraded to support it.

3. zelmund

zelmund

https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/setup-guide/ support beta, so why its not support release?

well, i figured why i wasnt able to dive in
    first you need to import all needed packages like burs, math, etc. than VS. only in that order... and for now i dont understand clearly why order is so important here, but i finaly started to play with it =)

well, bioms are interesting thing. helps to make fast beauty results. for now cant use the power for 100%, need to dive in doc's.

have another problem with washed billboards.

Attached Files:

• err1.jpg
      err1.jpg
      File size:
      587.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Christmas

I will try to drop by to answer messages during Christmas/New year but my response might be a bit slower than normal. Trying to take a few days off.

Have a good holiday.

Lennart

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Unity 2018.3 is supported. The last time I tested the 2019.1 Alpha was working good with Vegetation Studio Pro also.

The order should not matter. I think there might be some unity compiler issue that did not recompile the files in the assembly definition file. It is possible to disable this. Have a look
    Release is supported, not sure why you had the compile problem. There is so many combinations of things that can make problems now that you have package manager versions of the code on top of different Unity versions.

There is color tint and brightness settings for the billboard on each item. What trees are you using? Could the shader itself have a color tint that is not applied on the Atlas?

Lennart

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

That update was just an update to the asset store text. Did you get an email from Unity about a new version? They should normally not do that if the version number did not change.

Lennart

7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Then you need to move the trail up. It will move the grass under the trail renderer. Try to keep it 10-20 cm from the ground. Depending on your grass height.

Lennart

8. dienat

dienat

I am trying to make a build with IL2CPP but from what i read you just can do it with api compatibility 2.0 and not the 4.0 that vegetation studio pro requires, is this right or there is some way to make a IL2CPP build with 4.0?

9. julesd

julesd

UWP not working. Build and Run before import of VSP works, as soon as I import VSP then build and run UWP I get 7 error.

10. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Could you send me a private message with the compile errors or log? Or if you could join the discord and message me it is easier to debug.

I am not sure of unity’s status of UWP support for burst but I know the plan to support it.

Discord link in my signature

11. julesd

julesd

Main errors are in this image.

Attached Files:

12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Sent you a pm.

Lennart

13. P_Jong

P_Jong

@LennartJohansen
    I'm not sure what is causing this or what I'm doing wrong. But all the trees are getting bunched on top of each other and move with me. That's the best I can describe it. I'm using Unity 2018.3.0f2, VSP 1.0.1, and Naturemanufacture Mountain Trees v.1.7 (from the folder called Vegetation Studio Prefabs). My project is with Unity's LW SRP trees. Another scene with low poly rocks is working just fine with VSPro. Both camera rigs are the same in each scene (OVRPlayerController). I just added the same rocks to the scene where the trees are rendering wrong. The rocks are working just fine. But the Naturemanufacture Mountain Trees are not. If I manually drop in the trees into the scene, they are just fine. I've tried removing the trees and instead adding them as objects, but with the same results. For testing I'm using "VS_Fir_01_Plant". I've checked and my camera is set and I have "Render direct to camera" checked. Got to get to bed. I just spent the last hour feeling like Treebeard running around the scene like an Ent. But a fast one. lol.

14. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. If you get vegetation "stuck" to the camera it is most likely because you try to render a tree instanced indirect with a shader that does not support this. Changing to instanced will most likely fix this. Setting on each tree.

The SRPs are only partly working. The renderloop itself works and I made 2 custom shader graph nodes for adding instanced indirect support to shaders. Have a look here.

The billboard system, heatmap shaders and included grass does not support the SRPs. When the new node API for the shader graph is ready (HD 6.0+) I want to see if I can add custom nodes for billboard functionality. This way the shaders will auto upgrade with SRP changes and use the HD.Lit(HD) and PBR(LW) output nodes.

Lennart

chiepomme and P_Jong like this.
  15. P_Jong

P_Jong

Thank you! That worked. I switched the tree's render mode from "Instanced Indirect" to "Instanced".
    I will for sure check out your custom nodes. I'm doing a lot more custom nodes than initially I planed in the LWRP.
    I'll try out the new nodes. I've created some frosted glass shaders for some crystals that I've not tried yet in VSPro. It will be interesting to see how it works because I've had to make a custom node to get refraction into the crystals.
    upload_2018-12-27_19-54-9.png

16. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

I can see performance without burst is not so great with instanced rendering(waiting for jobs complete) have you looked into this pattern that you async await till job complete and then call Complete() on job? Im doing this with my MT system and it works great, but I must admit I use jobs system in very unusual way.

17. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Any reason you can not use the burst compiler? There is a lot of overhead accessing NativeArrays/Lists in c# compiled jobs.

Vegetation Studio Pro starts all spawning and render list preparation jobs at the end of Update (script order 100)
    This is done to let code that moves the cameras etc work as normal in Update.

Then at the end of LateUpdate the jobs are completed and rendering is done.

Any other gamecode you do in LateUpdate (before script order 100) will happen on the main thread while the spwaning and render list jobs are finished on the other cores.

Waiting multiple frames is not an option as you could move the camera fast and not have loaded vegetation at the end of the frame when rendering.

Lennart

18. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Nah, Im just always looking for ways to take work from main/rendering thread. U could do test with one frame delay in your spare time, I think u would be surprised ; but I guess there is no need for this as with burst main thread almost never wait for jobs.

19. Shadowing

Shadowing

What would be the best way to make grass taller in a certain area?
    Or is the best way just to duplicate grass in the bio and just set that to be tall grass?

I noticed you added a new mask that allows you to select what vegetation you want in a certain area.
    Maybe there should be a mask that lets you change some thing son some vegetation. Like density, scale, color and other things on a certain area?

20. Shadowing

Shadowing

Random rotation seems super bad. Scale is being randomized to here. Perlin helps a little bit for scaling.

21. swredcam

swredcam

Can this asset be easily deployed on an existing project? I have a multi-terrain project and the terrains are already done with terrain trees, grass and terrain textures. I don't need the biome feature or any of the placement tools, all I am looking for is performance improvement. How hard would it be to drop VS Pro in after-the-fact like this?

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  22. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Splatmap generation

Hi.

I have done some changes and the splatmap generation noise rules now work in worldspace as they should. This will remove any noise seams between terrains. Terrain size and splatmap resolution does not affect the noise.

Image 949.png

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

You can re-use the terrain and splatmaps but you will have to add vegetation and set up procedural rules again.

Lennart

24. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I will look at the rotation. It could be a bug there...
    A density texture mask rule should not be that hard to add. The same with density. Color is controlled by the shader and can not be passed with a spawning rule like this.

Lennart

25. namdo

namdo

How do I bake the vegetation studio package to terrain itself. I want to export the terrain file without vegetation studio.

26. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. That is not possible. Vegetation Studio does all the rendering, culling and management of the vegetation and replaces the tree and detail system of the Unity terrain.

Lennart

27. namdo

namdo

I swear I did something like this with normal Vegetation Studio...
    So how do I carry my terrain and files to another project?

28. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

In your new project you install the same assets packages with your trees etc. Then copy the VegetationPackage file you created with the subfolders that holds the billboards and terrain layers to the new project. You can also export this to a package without dependencies if you want.

The vegetation package will find the references to tre tree and plant prefabs in the new project and you can add vegetation studio to the scene/terrain and add the vegetation package. Then you get the same ruleset on any terrain in the new project. If you have a persistent storage you need to copy this file also.

Make sure you get the .meta files also when you copy.

Lennart

29. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Synty Studio Polygon Nature trees.

Hi. I added a custom ShaderController and billboard atlas render shader for the polygon nature pack trees. They should detect the shader and use the correct billboard atlas render shader now. It also supports the color tinting on the trees.

Image 951.png

Lennart

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

wow super cool!
    and they support moving with the wind too right?

31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. I got wind when I tested. I did not look into the wind but I think they read the Unity default global wind vector and use that.

Lennart

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And can I add the colliders with vs?

As they dont bave any by default

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. Just add a collider in the setings for each VegetationItem. Or you could add the collider directly on the prefab. There is a "from Prefab" setting on the collider system in VS Pro now.

Lennart

34. namdo

namdo

I used the persistent vegetation stuff but now I cant see any vegetation anymore except I click runtime spawn. How do I go back to the way it was before? I want to be able to edit and add vegetation before creating persistent storage?

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. In order to paint manuall vegetation you need a persistent vegetation storage package. This is a scriptable object that stores all the instances you paint. If you copy the terrain with painted vegetation to a new project you need to copy this file also and assign it to the component.

If you still have a problem, joining the discord server and message me there would be easier. A text chat is easier than debugging on the forum. Link in my signature below.

Lennart

36. namdo

namdo

I just went to the discord server. Now I didnt move anything to a new project im still on the same one.

The issue im having is i created a persistent storage pressed initialize and all the vegetation disappeared.

37. tredpro

tredpro

I'm using world streamer and cts and when I'm running through the forest every once in awhile the grass and stuff disappears for a second. Any idea why?

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

No. It should not do that. Is it related to a new terrain loading or could it happen in the middle of a loaded terrain?

Lennart

39. gecko

gecko

That happens to me as well, using World Streamer. I assumed it was some odd artifact of loading additive scenes (which have both Unity and mesh terrains, both assigned to VSP). But it does sometimes seem to happen when terrain tiles are not loading. I know I need to scrutinize it more to detect a pattern, will report back after that....but if you have any tips for how to analyze it, that'd be helpful.

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

Magic Boots :D

The speed of VS Pro rendering is awesome. Unfortunately youtube compresses heavily. The original vid is running totally smooth at 60 fps (synced) without compression artefacts :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    ftejada, hopeful and Roni92pl like this.
  41. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Dude that looks awesome with motion blur. I hope soon® I'll have something to share too ;

Rowlan likes this.
  42. holdingjason

holdingjason

It appears that cinemachine virtual cameras do not work with Veg Studio. Is this a known issue or just something I am doing wrong. Basically no veg shows up when switching to one of the virtual cameras. Working fine with main camera.

43. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Whats up with VSP not compiling when there are some dlls in project. In pure project with only necessary packages all works fine, but when I Import VSP to my main project it wont compile like there are missing files. All on 2018.3.1.
    This is big issue, as this render VSP useless for my game for now :/

44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. What errors du you get?

I have seen a couple of cases with dlls that did not support .Net 4.x making compile errors.
    .net 4.x is needed by the job system and burst compiler. Also default from Unity 2018.3+

Lennart

45. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Do you have the cinemachine cameras added to the VegetationSystem component?

Lennart

46. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

https://imgur.com/E0KTBHd
    Prolly wont help you much but here you go. All these errors are from VSP source files. Before importing VSP there are no errors, runtime errors or anything. Everything works.

47. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

From the error it looks like you have a script or enum in your project called ColiderType that is not in a Namespace. That conflicts with the internal enum in VegetationStudio with the same name. If the script had a namespace defined the conflict would be resolved.

If you could join the discord server and message me there I can help you debug to find a solution.
    A text chat is easier when debuging.

Link in my signature.

Lennart

Roni92pl likes this.
  48. holdingjason

holdingjason

UPDATE: There is no issue with Cinemachine. I had a camera script that had not been disabled with the Virtual Camera took over that was moving the camera after culling etc was done. Once that was disabled it worked fine.

So the virtual cameras are not real cameras. They appear to take over the main camera but in a way the Veg does not like (not sure what they are doing would need to dig into some docs/code for that). You cannot add the virtual cameras (as far as I can see) to the Veg Studios camera list because they are not actually cameras. Not sure if that makese sense or not and forgive my lack of understanding on this. I guess a question right away would be if you have used/tested Vegetation Studio with Cinemachine/Timeline and virtual cameras? If so then obviously something I am doing wrong but if not appears to be an issue.

This is what your talking about for adding the cameras correct?

upload_2019-1-16_7-10-52.png

Here is what I am talking about with virtual cameras.

upload_2019-1-16_7-11-56.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  49. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Any new biome packs coming soon?

50. holdingjason

holdingjason

UPDATE: There is no issue with Cinemachine. I had a camera script that had not been disabled with the Virtual Camera took over that was moving the camera after culling etc was done. Once that was disabled it worked fine.

Some more info on that virtual camera issue.

This is the issue that we are seeing. The main camera that usually works is being controlled by the VC I have verified its in the correct spot etc. However no veg is showing up, well weird except the shadows from the trees (trees rendered via veg). If I pause and step through this the shadows for the trees flicker, ie show up at the start of the frame and then go off, which is super weird.

upload_2019-1-16_7-19-5.png

Then we have this shot just a little later when the VC pans the main camera around in a circle. You can see the veg shows up close to the camera but is missing in the background there. It is like something is being fed into the distance check for rendering veg wrong.

upload_2019-1-16_7-23-10.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019