Search Unity

[RELEASED] UTNotifications - Professional Cross Platform Push Notifications and More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Yuriy-Ivanov, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @unity_bz4Y8hzorkKnDQ ,

I'm not sure if understand your problem, to tell the truth. Could you maybe create a sample Unity project that reproduces the issue to universal.tools.contact@gmail.com. Please also include specific repro steps (and maybe screenshots), so we can test it and check what's going on. Please also explain what exact versions of Android we should test it against: what versions have the issue and what don't.

Best regards,
    Yuriy, Universal Tools team.

2. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi Ilya,

1. You're right, it's "YES"
    2. Despite of being based on GCM-compatible API, UTNotifications uses only FCM, not GCM. It doesn't rely on any GCM servers now, so even when it's totally shut down, it will work absolutely fine.

Best regards,

3. heemun

heemun

Hi. Is it possible to call PostLocalNotification of UTNotifications if my unity app is background or closed? I tried to use native Android service and SendUnityMessage. But it seems SendUnityMessage doesn't work if Unity app isn't active.
    Perhaps there's a way to use UTNotification library directly from android service or create some C# code in Unity which can be called even if Unity app is closed or in backround?

4. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @heemun ,

I've already replied to this question to you by email. If it's a coincidence and it wasn't you in fact (sorry so much in that case!) please let me know and I'll explain you the options you have here.

Best regards,

boyin likes this.
  5. karmatha

karmatha

Hi Yuriy,

For our app we use multiple FCM instances depending on which environment (production, acceptance, development) we build for. We are building using Unity Cloud Build and `ScriptableObject` to determine which phase the app is in. This means we need to read different values for FirebaseSenderID depending on which ScriptableObject is loaded. How could UTNotifications provide for this?

edit:

I've gotten it to work by setting `
    FirebaseSenderID
    ` on `
    Settings
    ` in code myself, right before `
    Initialize
    `. But for that I had to remove the `
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    ` directive around that. I did put those guards around the `
    Save()
    ` call. But this required me to make adjustments to the plugin...

To clarify:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public string FirebaseSenderID
    3.         {
    4.             get
    5.             {
    6.                 return m_firebaseSenderID;
    7.             }
    8. //#if UNITY_EDITOR
    9. // NOTE: I have to disable this compiler directive because we set this value depending on which app stage is active
    10.             set
    11.             {
    12.                 if (m_firebaseSenderID != value)
    13.                 {
    14.                     m_firebaseSenderID = value;
    15.                     #if UNITY_EDITOR
    16.                     Save();
    17.                     #endif
    18.                 }
    19.             }
    20. //#endif
    21.         }

Then in my Start code:

Code (CSharp):
    2. UTNotifications.Settings.Instance.FirebaseSenderID = _settings.FCMSenderID;
    3. UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.OnSendRegistrationId += OnSendRegistrationId;
    4. bool result = UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize(false);

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  6. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @karmatha,

That's a very good question and solution you've implemented indeed. We'll definitely update the code to support your use case with multiple FCM sender ids in the next update. Probably we'll take the same exact approach as you did here (but we'll also check what we can do for other platforms).

Best regards,

7. karmatha

karmatha

Okay that would be great, because I hate to make adjustments to code in plugins :) I tend to forget about them and then when an update arrives things break mysteriously.

8. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

I'm using FCM with a payload created by a PHP (Laravel) plugin.

Code (PHP):
    2.         $push->setMessage([
    3.              'notification' => [
    4.                      'title'=>'This is the title',
    5.                      'body'=>'This is the message',
    6.                      'sound' => 'default'
    7.                      ],
    8.              'data' => [
    9.                      'extraPayLoad1' => 'value1',
    10.                      'extraPayLoad2' => 'value2'
    11.                      ]
    12.              ])
    13.         ->setDevicesToken('********************')
    14.         ->send()->getFeedback();
    My app receives the notifications and the SendRegistrationId event is working fine but OnNotificationClicked and OnNotificationsReceived are not triggering. I'm initializing the UTN Manager with a 'true' parameter. I'm using Unity 2017.4.8f1.
    What am I missing?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  9. karmatha

karmatha

Actually, for our case it would be best if the senderId would not be saved to
    UTNotifications.asset
    at all because it would cause a lot of unwanted git changes...

10. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi Fidel,

The payload you're sending is of incorrect format. Please read section Push Notifications Payload Format/FCM of our official manual carefully.

Best regards,

fidelsoto likes this.
  11. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

I hope when it's implemented you'll be able to keep it empty and set its value always in runtime.

12. hacanalic

hacanalic

@Yuriy-Ivanov
    Hi,

I am updating UTNotification plugin to latest. I have Google Play Games services 0.9.50 and Play Services Resolver 1.2.61.0 but somehow notification plugin is unable to download any firebase dependency that why I am facing ANR on Initialize

Code (CSharp):
    1. FATAL EXCEPTION: IntentService[GcmInstanceIDListenerService]
    2.                                                                                       Process: com.something.anything, PID: 15931
    3.                                                                                       java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed resolution of: Lcom/google/android/gms/iid/InstanceID;
    4.                                                                                           at universal.tools.notifications.GcmInstanceIDListenerService.onHandleIntent(GcmInstanceIDListenerService.java:29)
    5.                                                                                           at android.app.IntentService$ServiceHandler.handleMessage(IntentService.java:76)
    6.                                                                                           at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    7.                                                                                           at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:171)
    8.                                                                                           at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:65)
    9.                                                                                        Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "com.google.android.gms.iid.InstanceID" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/data/app/com.something.anything-6LYbx15slE3qe44dgOrzKg==/base.apk", zip file "/data/user/0/com.something.anything/hs_code_cache/secondary-dexes/helpshift_dexDir.classes2.zip"],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/com.something.anything-6LYbx15slE3qe44dgOrzKg==/lib/arm, /data/app/com.something.anything-6LYbx15slE3qe44dgOrzKg==/base.apk!/lib/armeabi-v7a, /system/lib, /vendor/lib]]
    10.                                                                                          at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:125)
    11.                                                                                          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:379)
    12.                                                                                          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:312)
    13.                                                                                          at universal.tools.notifications.GcmInstanceIDListenerService.onHandleIntent(GcmInstanceIDListenerService.java:29)
    14.                                                                                          at android.app.IntentService$ServiceHandler.handleMessage(IntentService.java:76)
    15.                                                                                          at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    16.                                                                                          at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:171)
    17.                                                                                          at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:65)
    Can you please guide which version of GPG and Resolver is compatible with UT ?

13. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @hacanalic ,

Play Services Resolver is fine, it's not what causes the issue. Could you please send me a list of all files and folders (including subfolders) in your Assets/Plugins/Android?
    Besides, could you please do a search across your whole Assets/ folders with all subfolders for *.aar and *.jar and send me a list of all files found, expect of those contained in Assets/Plugins/Android?
    It seems to be some libraries version conflict, or maybe indeed some of the libraries are just missing: I could tell if I see your project's Android libraries list.

How have you noticed that the resolver was unable to download FCM libs? Was there an error message? If so, could you please paste it here?

Best regards,

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  14. AlekseyLaz

AlekseyLaz

Hello Yuriy
    I've found UTN does not work with Xiaomi china android.
    Is there solution to make it work?

Best regards

15. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @AlekseyLaz,

UTNotifications definitely works fine with our test Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android 8.1, version for Europe).
    Please note that many Android devices for the Chinese market don't contain Google Play, and Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) is based on Google Play. UTNotifications supports FCM and ADM (Amazon Cloud Messaging) on Android, but not any other exotic push notifications providers.

The other known issue with some low-end Xiaomi (and some other cheap Android devices with limited battery capacity) is that they tend to force-stop any closed applications except of white-listed applications like popular messengers to save battery power. It's designed by Google that force-stopped applications can't run any background services or show notifications till the app gets restarted or the device is reboot. Unfortunately you can't do anything with it except of requesting end users to white-list your application in the system settings, which is usually a bad idea for games. Please note that any other games (except of maybe preinstalled ones) will face the same issue at such devices.

Best regards,
    Yuriy, Universal Tools team

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  16. AlekseyLaz

AlekseyLaz

Thank you for detailed explanation.

Best regards.

17. Grinchi

Grinchi

Hey guys i am not getting pushes on Android 8/9. any suggestions ? on 7 its working perfectly :)
    i am using it for local notifications not cloud one.
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  18. Grinchi

Grinchi

this is the only thing that i found in log maybe it will help :

universal.tools.notifications.Profile: Notification Profile __default_profile is not registered! Using default profile instead.NotificationService: No Channel found for pkg=com.truegames.explorationpro2018, channelId=__default_profile, id=9, tag=null, opPkg=com.truegames.explorationpro2018, callingUid=10265, userId=0, incomingUserId=0, notificationUid=10265, notification=Notification(channel=__default_profile pri=0 contentView=null vibrate=null sound=null defaults=0x0 flags=0x10 color=0x00000000 vis=PRIVATE)
    NetworkScheduler: Invalid component specified

19. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @SBS_Grinch ,

Thanks for the details, it helps. The default notifications channel has not been registered for your app, it's required on Android 8+. First of all, please make sure you haven't forgotten to call UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize (it's where the registration happens). The other possible case is if the application has been updated but never restarted since than, meaning UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize has never been called to register the channel.

If neither case is yours, please send me your Assets/UTNotifications/Resources/UTNotificationsSettings.asset and whether any exceptions/warnings are logged in LogCat when calling UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize so I could figure out what went wrong.

Best regards,

20. Grinchi

Grinchi

Hey @Yuriy-Ivanov Thanks for help :) idk but i just cleared everything rebuild and everything is working :)

21. Garrettec

Garrettec

Hello

Sorry if this was already answered, I searched this thread and didn't found such situation. I get used to move all purchased assets into "3rd Party" folder (and in current project this step have not only decorative purpose, too long to explain). And everything worked fine until I tried saving Notification Profile. After clicking "ok" button from Edit Profile window I got:
    DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory 'D:\Projects\ProjectName\Assets\UTNotifications\Editor\Android\Res' not found.

I searched where you form this path, but seems logic is a little bit more complicated to be able to just insert our path. And in any case modifying your code will require to modify it again after upgrade to newer version.
    So the question is: "Is there a way to move UTNotifications folder?"

Thank you in advance!

22. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Garrettec ,

First of all, thank you for using our asset.
    The short answer is: you're not really supposed to move UTNotifications to any non-standard locations, if you don't want to face multiple unexpected weird issues as the asset does a lot of background work in Unity Editor to automate complicated routine tasks for you; but if you really want to move it, you can.
    You'll though have to update
    public static string AssetsRelatedRootPath
    property value in
    Assets/UTNotifications/Src/UTNotifications/Settings.cs
    Please note though, that it's not a standard configuration, and we usually don't test the asset to be completely functional in case you move it to another location. So, first, you might face some issues still, and second, whenever you update the asset in the future, it'll most likely break again. So the easy option (to keep it in its initial location) is also the safest.

Best regards,

Garrettec likes this.
  23. Garrettec

Garrettec

Thank you, @Yuriy-Ivanov for the asset and for supper fast reply!

Definitely I will leave it at default location. I believe it will be quite helpful to add big red notice at the beginning of documentation that better not to move the asset anywhere (otherwise this question will emerge again and again).

24. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Makes sense, we'll add it to the next update of the manual.

25. Garrettec

Garrettec

Hello again

For Android everything working like a charm but on iOS we encountered several issues with Local Notifications:

1. Notifications with same ID are showing as separate notifications (presumably and according to documentation notifications with same ID should replace each other).

Okay, I decided that it's not critical and tried simply hide already shown notifications on application get focus or start but
    2. HideAllNotifications() and HideNotification(ID) are not doing anything. We checked logs, no exceptions are thrown, just no reaction on using any of this functions.

Test device - iPhone 6s
    OS version - iOS 12.0.1

And correct me if I am wrong, iPhone should simply ignore Profiles, right, so using profiles for Android should not be a reason for this issue?

26. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Garrettec ,

Yes, profiles should have nothing to do with it. Could you please create and send us to universal.tools.contact@gmail.com a sample Unity project reproducing your issue? As all the functionality you mentioned works fine in our tests, so we'd like to know how your issue can be reproduced.

Best regards,

27. zikwavestudios

zikwavestudios

Hi Yuriy,

I'm getting this error. Do you know what it could be?

Error pushing to APNS: NotificationResponse{error=null, httpStatusCode=-1, responseBody='null', cause=java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: state}
    >> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    >> Server: UTNotificationsDemoServer
    >> Content-Type: text/html
    >> Content-Length: 124
    >> Connection: close
    >>
    >> Notified 0 clients!

Unity 2018.2.14f1
    iOS 12.1 , iPhone SE
    UTNotifications 1.7.3
    jdk1.8.0_162

Thanks.

28. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @zikwavestudios ,

That's some issue with DemoServer, which I'm afraid I don't know about and also don't know how to reproduce it. Do you start it with start_demoserver.bat/.sh script (on Windows/macOS)? Do you get any warnings from maven?

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,
    Best regards,

29. Andrey-1-9-9-1

Andrey-1-9-9-1

Hi, guys! We have a problem when using local notifications on our LG K10 LTE device. Notification icons are attached to icons of other applications. It is important for us to know how often this problem occurs.

30. zikwavestudios

zikwavestudios

Hi Yuriy,

I'm starting the server with start_demoserver.bat/.sh on Windows 10/Debian 4.9.65-3

On Debian I get:

Error pushing to APNS: NotificationResponse{error=null, httpStatusCode=-1, responseBody='null', cause=java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: sun.security.ssl.SSLSessionImpl.<init>(Lsun/security/ssl/ProtocolVersion;Lsun/security/ssl/CipherSuite;Ljava/util/Collection;Lsun/security/ssl/SessionId;Ljava/lang/String;IZ)V}
    >> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    >> Server: UTNotificationsDemoServer
    >> Content-Type: text/html
    >> Content-Length: 124
    >> Connection: close
    >>
    >> Notified 0 clients!
    >> Please make sure you initialized push notifications using UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize()?

This may be due to an incompatibility with the JDK used to make the project. I think that everything is recompiled except jetty-alpn-agent-2.0.7. Could it be the source of the problem? Could you tell me which JDK version you use for your project for Windows and Linux? In my case it's jdk1.8.0_162 on Windows and openjdk-8-jre version 8u181-b13-2~deb9u1 on Debian.

Thanks,

31. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

We don't officially support Linux, and have never tested DemoServer in it. As DemoServer is only a demo and test thing, and is definitely not designed to be used as a production server, our idea was that customers would run it in their host Unity machines only, i.e. it's either Windows or macOS.
    But if you really want to build/run it on Debian, I'd start with using official Oracle JDK, not OpenJDK: I'm 99% sure it will work fine then.

Best regards,

32. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

The issue is specific to some LG devices, and is caused by a bug in their custom Android shell. I'm afraid I don't know how many devices are affected, but given LG Android phones global market share of around 1% or so (I don't have current numbers), the issue is most likely quite rare.

Best regards,

33. zikwavestudios

zikwavestudios

I made it work. For others who may have the same issue: there was on my Windows system a JRE with a different version from the JDK version used to compile DemoServer. You can check which version is used to run the java classes in a command prompt with : java -version
    If you have different versions you can delete and reinstall java or simply modify the path in Windows' Environment Variables.

The issue on Debian is probably because of OpenJDK. I'll check this later.

Yuriy-Ivanov likes this.
  34. stevencoull

stevencoull

Hey Yuriy,
    We recently updated to Unity 2018.2.14f1 and noticed that on Android our notification icon is displaying as a white circle, even if the image itself is a different shape. On the notifications menu it's displayed as a grey circle with a white circle inside. I've updated to the most recent UTNotification version and double checked that the icons are all set for the default profile, including a color other than grey for Android 5.0+, and I can see all the images inside the Assets/Plugins/Android/UTNotificationsRes/res/drawable folder (named: '__default_profile' etc.). Is there any other setting I could be missing, or a reason this would occur?

35. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @stevencoull,

We tested the asset with multiple versions of Unity, including a number of 2018.2.x versions, though I'm not sure about 2018.2.14f1 specifically, and it worked well including notification icons (I just checked it with 2018.2.18: all good). Is it possible that you prepare a sample Unity project reproducing the issue, and send it to universal.tools.contact@gmail.com with step-by-step repro instructions?

Thank you and sorry for that inconvenience.

Best regards,

36. stevencoull

stevencoull

Hey Yuriy, sorry for the late reply. After further testing and checking your manual I realised the issue was because I was sending notifications via the Firebase console. I could see the icons I set using the demo server provided. We want to send messages through the console so I solved the issue by adding the Firebase Messaging plugin and modifying my AndroidManifest as discussed here. It might be out of your asset's scope, but if there was any way you could fix this in the future that would be amazing.

37. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Yes, complete integration with FCM or even Firebase Messaging plugin is a high priority item in our internal task/issue tracker for a while already, but so far we couldn't find a good way to implement it without loosing API compatibility with other platforms and UTNotifications profiles icons/sounds/colors configuration. There are still some ideas we have in that regards, so we hope one day it will be possible.

Best regards,

38. stevencoull

stevencoull

Great to hear it's something the team are thinking about! Looking forward to future updates, thanks again!

39. anzz

anzz

@Yuriy-Ivanov Добрый день!
    Ранее использовали UTN 1.6.3, все было нормально, однако на Андроид высоких версий (выше 6) пуши не приходили.
    Обновили плагин до последней версии: теперь начиная с 6.0.1 и выше пуши приходят, однако на всех версиях, что ниже, не происходит даже инициализации плагина, и gcm-токен не присылается.
    Все попытки решить проблему ни к чему не привели.

40. voanerges

voanerges

Добрый день! мой клиент купил этот плагин
    мой скайп gromiskuplen
    смотрите у меня есть базовый скрипт HomeController.cs

public class BaseController : MonoBehaviour {
    }

public class HomeController : BaseController
    {
    protected override void Awake()
    {
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.Initialize(false);
    base.Awake();
    instance = this;

}
    private void OnApplicationQuit()
    {
    SaveGame();
    CUtils.SetActionTime("offline_earning");
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.ScheduleNotificationRepeating(120, 120, "Come Back and Play",
    "You have money waiting for you to buy more taxi’s!", 1);
    }

}

upload_2018-12-28_16-36-48.png

что я сделал не правильно?

41. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @anzz and @voanerges,

I've replied each of you in the personal message to avoid confusing other forum users who don't speak Russian :)
    Happy New Year to both of you (and anyone else).

Best regards,

42. MarioAmpov

MarioAmpov

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov,

I recently bough your asset and it's great. I only have one question. Are you going to implement FCM for iOS and do you have an estimate date for this feature.

Regards,
    Mario

43. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @MarioAmpov ,

Yes, its in our backlog, but not yet number 1 priority. Traditionally, there is no estimation date I'm afraid. If you really really need FCM for iOS, think of using the official Firebase Unity SDK.

Best regards,

44. AlekseyLaz

AlekseyLaz

Hello
    I've updated from 1.7.2 to 1.7.4. However, UTNotificationsSettings shows 1.7.3 in editor.
    Is it ok?

Regards

45. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @AlekseyLaz ,

Yes, sorry, it's our fault: it was an urgent small and local hotfix update to support Unity 2018.2 so we forgot to check if the version constant value had been update, which had not. It's 1.7.4 indeed.

Best regards,

46. AlekseyLaz

AlekseyLaz

I see. Thank you.

47. Ingo-H

Ingo-H

Hello @Yuriy-Ivanov ,

when will a new version released with Unity2018 support and including this fix https://github.com/universal-tools/UTNotificationsFeedback/issues/87 ? Because I run into it today and realized it was already addressed in September 2018? We currently update to Unity2018.3.2f1 :)

I also had the issue that I could not build an iOS version, because the script IOSBuildPostprocessor.cs was not in an Editor folder so that the UnityEditor.BuildTarget wasn't defined. I solved it moving the script to the Editor folder.

Best regards,
    Ingo

48. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Ingo-H ,

First of all, thank you for using our asset.
    Please note, that Unity 2018, including 2018.3.2f1 is supported well by the latest released version of UTNotifications (1.7.4). You can apply the Settings fix of the issue when Scripting Runtime Version is set to 4.x and Api Compatibility Level is 2.0 (it's attached in GitHub).

> because the script IOSBuildPostprocessor.cs was not in an Editor folder
    It is in Editor in UTNotifications 1.7.4, but Unity Assets importer sometimes fails to detect that it has been updated when upgrading the asset. Just delete that file altogether (it's an outdated one) and reimport UTNotifications completely from the Asset Store. The file will be stored in its new (correct for Unity 2018) location.

Regarding the next update roadmap, we usually don't give any estimations in advance due to our main focus on our primary projects (i.e. not Unity assets), which affect a lot resources available for UTNotifications and UTMail.
    The update is currently in progress, some of the planned features are implemented, some are being implemented, and some are not yet started.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

49. maxi_sn

maxi_sn

Hi!

We have recently bougth this plugin and I was about to start playing with it but after adding it into an empty project there is an error in the console that says:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assets\UTNotifications\Src\Settings.cs(1286,64): error CS1069: The type name 'RegistryKey' could not be found in the namespace 'Microsoft.Win32'.
    2. This type has been forwarded to assembly 'Microsoft.Win32.Registry, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' Consider adding a reference to that assembly.
    And in the Project Settings there isn't an entry for UTNotifications (even after restarting the editor).

What could be happening?
    Thanks!

Pd:
    Unity 2018.3.1f1 Personal on a Windows 10 (64 bit)

50. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @maxi_sn ,

First, thank you for purchasing our asset.
    You faced a known issue happening in case of a specific configuration. It is already fixed and will be released with the next update, but right now you can apply a patch to fix it: please see https://github.com/universal-tools/UTNotificationsFeedback/issues/87 for more details.

Best regards,

maxi_sn likes this.