Search Unity

[RELEASED] UTNotifications - Professional Cross Platform Push Notifications and More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Yuriy-Ivanov, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @shark812 ,
    Please check your email: the update is there. And yes, it should fix the Android Cloud Build issue as well.

Best regards,
    Yuriy, Universal Tools team.

2. shark812

shark812

Yes, it worked like a charm!

3. Avocco

Avocco

Hi, I'm having some issues with the push notifications on android oreo, I'm using playfab as backend and when i send a notification I receive the text and title but the notification profile isn't showing the app icon

this is the request payload:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.     "Recipient": "*****",
    3.     "AdvancedPlatformDelivery":[{
    4.         "Json":"{
    5.            \"title\":\"title\",
    6.            \"text\":\"hi\",
    7.            \"notification_profile\":\"default\"}",
    8.         "Platform":"GoogleCloudMessaging"
    9.     }]
    10. }
    When I have the app running the OnNotificationReceived event has the notificationProfile that I sended
    The local notifications works fine.

4. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi Avocco,

Please don't ever specify "default" as a profile name: internally default profile has another id ("__default_profile"), as "default" is a reserved name in some Android builds. Usually it's the best to define your own custom profile and specify it instead (__default_profile should be used by default if no profile is specified, but sometimes there might be issues with it, and the default profile is supported only on Android).

Best regards,

5. Garyuu1995

Garyuu1995

Hello, do you support FCM for iOS devices?

6. Avocco

Avocco

Hi, I tried using a custom profile and specifying __default_profile too, but nothing seem to work, I'm testing on a Nexus 6p with Android 8.1

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "Recipient": "D42D448FDD6F7F9D",
    3.     "AdvancedPlatformDelivery":[{
    4.         "Json":"{
    5.            \"title\":\"title\",
    6.            \"text\":\"hi\",
    7.            \"notification_profile\":\"push\"}",
    8.         "Platform":"GoogleCloudMessaging"
    9.     }]
    10. }
    https://pasteboard.co/HovOUnE.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Is it possible for you to get the complete json payload as sent by Playfab to FCM servers? Isn't there, by chance, a "notification" node? As UTNotifications requires "data"-only messages. You can find more details in section Push Notifications Payload Format / FCM of our manual.

Best regards,

8. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

No, only APNS in iOS.

Best regards,

9. IgumenovMaxim

IgumenovMaxim

Our team bought your great plugin. Answer me please. Can we work without a server? I will explain. We need to get a token and after that on the console.firebase.google in Cloud Messaging we create new message through token. Like native plugin for Unity from firebase.

10. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

I just wasted an entire day to discover an issue with OnePlus 3T (and maybe applies to other OnePlus phones or other brands as well). I'm posting it here so maybe it will help someone.

By default, phone settings enable "Battery optimization" for each app, thus limiting its background activity.
    As a result, you will never get a push notification though UT Notifications if the game is closed (it only works if your app is running or in background).

@Yuriy-Ivanov, do you think there could be a solution to that?

11. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @IgumenovMaxim ,

Unfortunately Firebase Console is not supported (for more details please see section "Push Notifications Payload Format -> FCM"). You can use a 3rd party service though, many are well compatible with UTNotifications, f.e. OneSignal (it also supports APNS, ADM & WNS).

P.S. I speak Russian, if you prefer.

Best regards,

12. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

It's a common issue with some (primarily Chinese) Android phones: they automatically kill any background services of any non white-listed applications, even alarms (used for scheduled notifications) and push notifications receivers. By default they usually white-list popular messengers and so on, but unfortunately you can't do anything with it: users have to manually add the app in the white list in system settings to allow for any background work when the app is closed.

Fortunately, only quite a small fraction of Android devices employ such a crazy aggressive power saving strategy. But if you target primarily Chinese market, you can think of trying to detect whether this sort of power saving is enabled and then request the user to whitelist your application. It's up to you completely I'm afraid: different vendors provide different settings and power saving implementation, it can be pretty challenging to handle them all.

Best regards,

Menion-Leah likes this.
  13. IgumenovMaxim

IgumenovMaxim

Еще раз доброе время суток. Так как вы написали, что можно по-русски, воспользуюсь данной возможностью и постараюсь подробней описать, может я просто что-то не верно понял (не знаю, правда, подобное лучше писать сюда или на почту).

И так, наша задача. У нас есть сервер на беке с которым мы работаем. При использовании обычного плагина на Unity от FB firebase_unity_sdk_4.5.2 -> FirebaseMessaging при старте я получаю токен, отправляю его на бэк и мне приходит пуш. Я спросил, непосредственно у бэкендщика как там это происходит, на что получил ответ.

"Я достаю из базы твой firebaseTokenId, формирую json и отправляю в firebase. Firebase находит тебя по firebaseTokenId и отправляет тебе это сообщение. Как реализовано на беке это не важно, есть несколько библиотек для отправки пушей в firebase. Сейчас например используется PushSharp.
    Тебе нужно зарегистрироваться и получить токен, для того, чтобы firebase мог отправить тебе пуш. Как мы с тобой уже делали"

Если я верно понял, единственный токен который я могу получить, это ID регистрации (не уверен, что это оно) т.е.

public void Start()
    {
    UTNotifications.Manager notificationsManager = UTNotifications.Manager.Instance;
    notificationsManager.OnSendRegistrationId += SendRegistrationId;
    }
    private void SendRegistrationId(string providerName, string registrationId)
    {
    SendTokenToServer(registrationId);
    }

Возможно ли как-то реализовать подобное с вашим плагином, получить токен и получить сообщение при таких условиях?

14. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

I suspected so. Thank you for this confirmation!

15. luigi_pomili

luigi_pomili

Hello,

I'm trying to add something to the Manager.java file but it looks like my changes don't affect the the application because what unity it's actually loading is the utnotifications.aar file. Does anybody knows how should I proceed in this case?
    Should I extract everything in the utnotifications.aar file, recompile the Manager.java file and then re-package everything?
    Is there a way to do that from Unity? If not how do I recompile the file?

16. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @luigi_pomili ,

Of course you have to rebuild utnotifications.aar, but no need to extract anything from it - its complete source code is located at Assets/UTNotifications/Editor/Android/NativePluginSource. Just open that folder with Android Studio. Then execute Gradle task "deploy" to build and copy the library into its destination folder Assets/Plugins/Android:
    upload_2018-6-15_21-41-21.png

Best regards,

17. luigi_pomili

luigi_pomili

Thank you very much!

18. Playizzon

Playizzon

Hi, scheduled local notification doesn't received if we application is closed. We found this issue in android 7.0 VIVO V5s device. We were facing notification issue with Android 8.0 and after updating plugin it get resolved. But in android 7.0 above issue is coming after updating the plugin. How to solve this ?

19. Playizzon

Playizzon

Hi,
    After updating to version 1.7.2 we are not receiving local notification if app is closed. The issue is with android 7.0 and our testing device is VIVO. Need help to resolve this issue.

20. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Playizzon ,

Most likely, it's the same issue as discussed here, although we don't have any VIVO phones to check. Try looking for a power saving mode somewhere in the system settings and then disable it, or maybe in the system per-application settings - there might be an option to allow application background services when the app is closed.

Update: After checking http://www.gadgetdiary.com/vivo-v5-good-design-great-battery-life.html, it seems to be the case.

Best regards,

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  21. AlexUniy

AlexUniy

Hi,
    I want use only local notification. But I want use local notification with emodji and different smile. How I can do this with this plugin?

UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.ScheduleNotification(delay, "Title", "Text", id)

I thing in text but where I can found code supported emodji and smile? Example will be great

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  22. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Emoji can be inserted directly as Unicode characters in title and text strings. Unfortunately, Unity Forum doesn't allow emoji unicode characters in the messages, so please find a sample call here.

Please also see my reply here: https://github.com/universal-tools/UTNotificationsFeedback/issues/81

Best regards,

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  23. AlexUniy

AlexUniy

Thanks Yuriy

I have one more question. On iOS when the first start app is shown the window if the user wants to get notifications from app. If in this window the user cancel notifications how after some time or maybe next start app to show him this window again?
    I can show custom dialog about notification, and if press Ok then open ios setttings. But how I can find what user select in standart ios window from first start enable or disable?

And how I can Off\On vibrate on local notification?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  24. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @AlexUniy ,

I've already replied to your email. Please let me know you still have any more questions.

Best regards,

25. unity_h1Bsrjv9H55zPA

unity_h1Bsrjv9H55zPA

Hi,
    I'm having some troubles getting set up with APNs
    When using your demo server I get the following error each time it tries to notify apple:
    "Error pushing to APNS: NotificationResponse{error=null, httpStatusCode=-1, responseBody='null', cause=java.io.IOException: unexpected end of stream on okhttp3.Address@####### }"
    Thanks for any help you can give

26. unity_h1Bsrjv9H55zPA

unity_h1Bsrjv9H55zPA

nvm, It was because i didn't have apln working in eclipse

27. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

It shouldn't matter what IDE you're using: DemoServer is a Maven project, which should be built with Maven regardless of IDE. Please make sure your network allows reaching api.development.push.apple.com:443 and api.push.apple.com:443. For more details on connecting to APNS servers, please see https://developer.apple.com/library...oteNotificationsPG/CommunicatingwithAPNs.html

Best regards,

28. BinexSolutions

BinexSolutions

HI, App is not showing local scheduled notifications.
    I am changing system time for testing. Following is my code for registering notification.
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.CancelAllNotifications();
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.ScheduleNotification((24 * 60 * 60) * 2, HEADING, SUB_HEADING_1, id++, null, "pathways");

29. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @BinexSolutions ,

I'm afraid you can't make a local notification to show any faster by changing the system time: it's measured internally in seconds passed since ScheduleNotification call and doesn't depend on system time settings (we're speaking about Android, aren't we?). You can check it by setting a smaller interval, like 30-60 seconds. Please also note that with default settings no notifications are displayed while the app is running in foreground. It should be either minimized or closed (you can change it for Android and Windows Store platforms in UTNotifications settings).

Best regards,

30. stgs73

stgs73

Hi, we're on the latest version of UTNotification, we just installed on 2018.1.6 on OSX
    Opening the UT config dialog and closing it down hard crashes O/S and we have to reboot machine...:/

We're in the Editor in PC/Stadalone/OSX, just going to switch to Android to verify if this is the cause

Any other ideas on this?

thnx

31. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @stgs73 ,

Oh, wow, I've never heard of anything like that before, and it's not reproduced for me either. I've just tried it with Unity 2018.2, but everything worked fine with Unity 2017.1.7f as well. Is it maybe possible for you to try updating Unity to the latest version and try there? Or if you find and tell me specific steps to reproduce this issue in a different computer, I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards,

32. ReynV

ReynV

Hi!
    Thanks for your asset and great support.

1. The message I send to APNS looks like this:
    {"aps":{"alert": {"title" : "some title", "body":"some body"}}}

2. When the app is closed I get the correct title and body in the iOS popup notification.

3. When the app is open I log the notification title and text.

Code (CSharp):
    2. notificationsManager.OnNotificationsReceived += (receivedNotifications) =>
    3.         {
    4.             foreach (ReceivedNotification notification in receivedNotifications)
    5.             {
    6.                 Debug.Log(notification.title + " " + notification.text);
    7.             }
    8.         };      
    4. Unfortunately notification.title is always empty, even though it shows correctly on the iOS popup.

I'm sure its something simple. What am I doing wrong ? Thanks!

33. stgs73

stgs73

Hi Yuriy, we'll let you know, maybe just one of those days! will find out shortly..thnx

34. Woody4618

Woody4618

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov
    Great asset!

I have a problem though. Since i updated to unity 2018.2.0f2 the app freezes on android as soon as i call
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.OnNotificationsReceived += (receivedNotifications) =>
    {}

on IOS and in Editor this works fine.

Do you know anything about this problem maybe?

35. Woody4618

Woody4618

Oh its actually the callback:
    UTNotifications.Manager.Instance.OnNotificationClicked += (notification) =>
    {};

36. stgs73

stgs73

Hey Yuri, good news, it isn't UTNotification - it seems the O/S was super low on RAM at the time we just happened to be using a specific flow, just got unlucky with the timing...

regards

37. sperepel

sperepel

Hi Yuriy,

I'm using your UTNotifications and I have no problems with apple ios side but on my android side for some reason I can't get OnSendRegistrationId event fired up. I'm assigning the event before I call Manager.Instance.Initialize(). Please can you help?

38. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @ReynV ,

The issue is known: unfortunately Unity NotificationServices, which UTNotifications use internally for iOS, started supporting notification titles only since Unity 2018.2, i.e. only very very recently. If you/your company only uses Unity 2018.2, I can send you a patch adding that functionality. Otherwise I'd recommend you adding the title additionally as a custom user data value, which you can then get with UTNotifications, which provides a map of all user data keys/values for both local and push notifications.

Please let me know if you need that 2018.2 only patch.

Best regards,

39. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Woody4618 ,

Please note, that no our code at all is executed when you subscribe on an event: it's a pure virgin C# event. So it's either a very weird bug of Unity itself, or maybe you're subscribing to that event not from the main Unity thread, anyway: no UTNotifications code is involved. If you find a specific way to reproduce that issue (which never happens to us), I'd be really grateful.

Before subscribing, please also try checking if UTNotifications.Manager.Instance == null, which can happen in some exotic cases (when accessing UTNotifications.Manager.Instance too early or too late in the Unity application lifecycle, or, again, from a non-main thread).

Best regards,

40. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

OK, thank you for letting me know, and I'm glad you sorted it out.

Best regards,

41. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @sperepel ,

Most often it happens if you forget to enable appropriate push notifications toggles - FCM (and ADM for Amazon Kindles) in UTNotifications settings. It can be also caused by missing libraries: in that case you should have received false as a return value from Manager.Instance.Initialize() (have you checked that?).
    And, of course, you first have to configure appropriate push notifications services in Google (or Amazon) admin panels, as described in the manual.

In case none of the above helps, please prepare and send me a sample project reproducing that issue, I'll look into it to understand what's going on in your specific case.

Best regards,

42. sperepel

sperepel

Yuriy,

Thank you very much, it turned out to be me forgetting to assign google-services.json. Stupid mistake...
    But anyway, great product, keep up the good work :)

43. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Woody4618 ,

A small update: we were able to reproduce the issue, which actually happens soon after you subscribe on the event, not at that moment of subscription itself, and is caused by using Unity 2018.2: it seems to contain a bug with calling native Android code from C#. We're currently looking for a fix/workaround as our highest priority, and will let you know as soon as we find a fix. Right now you can revert to Unity 2018.1 to avoid it as a temporary solution.

Best regards,

44. Woody4618

Woody4618

Thank you a lot! Maybe Unity also fixes it in a patch release. My workaround was to uncomment the part until it works again :)

45. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Woody4618 ,

So, here are the results:
    1. Unity 2018.2 (both .0 and .1) contains at least 2 bugs causing apps to crash:
    - It crashes when an Android native (Java) String function returns null. It breaks not only handling clicks, but even calling some important Android built-in functions.
    - It crashes when it's trying to report a previous crash if your AndroidManifest.xml doesn't declare READ_PHONE_STATE permission (which is quite a brutal permission). As a result, in order to make the app work even after the crash is fixed, you have to reinstall the app (which made our working on the primary issue much more complicated until we realized that 2nd bug in Unity).
    2. We implemented an experimental workaround for that issue, which seems to work well with Unity 2018.2.1f. We'll test it a little more and then will publish a hotfix update. If you want the fix ASAP, please let me know, I'll send you a patch.
    3. We'll report both bugs to Unity so they'll hopefully fix them in future updates (it's in addition to fixing another bug in Unity, which affects building UTNotifications-enabled apps for Windows Store/UWP and Android using IL2CPP scripting backend instead of .Net).

Thank you for your patience and stay tuned.

UPDATE: The fix has been submitted to Unity Asset Store and should be available soon after the Asset Store team reviews it.

Best regards,

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Woody4618 likes this.
  46. yardagekorea

yardagekorea

How are you.

Only the manual is difficult to catch the concept.

Can I see how to use YouTube as a video?

I would like to thank you if you can follow as reported.

47. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @yardagekorea ,

Unfortunately we don't have video production specialists in out team, besides videos are not very useful for script assets like UTNotifications. Could you probably tell me what section of the manual causes difficulties for you, so I can explain that topic better and maybe update appropriate sections of the manual?

Best regards,

48. yardagekorea

yardagekorea

Thanks for the quick reply.

Our company is developed by Android.
    I want to send pictures and messages to our website.
    It's hard to see how pictures are sent on the web and how to install buttons.
    I want to know which part of Unity's UTNotificatinsSettings you need to set when sending to the Web.
    Can you create and send this part of the steps?

I appreciate it.

49. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @yardagekorea ,

I hope I understand you correctly: you need image- and buttons- featured push notifications with images downloaded from your website?

Then UTNotificatinsSettings has nothing to do with it: you define it in your own server code when sending a push notification, as explained in sections "Image Notifications (Android)" and "Notification Buttons (Android)" of the manual. F.e. the FCM json payload you're sending to FCM servers might look like:

Code (JavaScript):
    2. {
    3.     "to":"A REGISTRATION ID OF A TARGET DEVICE",
    4.     "data":
    5.     {
    6.         "title":"NOTIFICATOIN TITLE",
    7.         "text":"NOTIFICATOIN TEXT",
    8.         "image_url":"http://thecatapi.com/api/images/get?format=src&type=png&size=med",
    9.         "buttons":"[{\"title\":\"<BUTTON 1>\",\"any_key_you_like\":\"ANY VALUE YOU LIKE\"},{\"title\":\"<BUTTON 2>\",\"one_more_key_of_your_preference\":\"SOME OTHER VALUE\"}]"
    10.     }
    11. }

50. Woody4618

Woody4618

@Yuriy-Ivanov
    Thanks a lot for the fix. Sadly it doesn't seem to be completly fixed for me. I downloaded Unity 2018.2.1f1 then i uninstalled the app and the first start went normal without crash. Then with the following starts of the app it started hanging and crashing again. About 50% of the time and also seemingly randomly during the game.
    But maybe the problem is not in UTNotifications anymore, since i also use Firebase messaging, fabrics crash reporting and also Firebase analytics. Maybe they have similar problems with calling native android functions.
    I find it difficult to really find out which is causing it. Maybe ill try adding the READ_PHONE_STATE permission.

But the clicking on notifications callback works now again! So thats cool. Thank you!

Could you post the links to the unity bug you reported maybe, so i could follow it?

In the following days ill try to remove everything and figure out what causes the problem.