Search Unity

[RELEASED] UTMail - Email Composition and Sending Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Yuriy-Ivanov, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/90545
    Unity 5.5+ (any edition)
    Cross-platform:

• macOS
    • Windows
    • Windows Store (Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1/10, Universal 8.1, Universal 10)
    • Android
    • iOS
    UTMail is Unity extension allowing developers composing and sending emails directly from C# code. It provides common cross-platform API and works on multiple platforms.

It's an essential tool for integrating "Contact Support" functionality, and is also a very effective way of getting feedback for beta versions and internal test sessions. It may also be used for automatic or half-automatic reporting on crashes and other events.

Features:
    • Compose: opens a system email client with a content defined by your app. End-user can then optionally modify the message and send it. The email is sent from the end-user's email address so you can give them a reply.
    • Send: uses SMTP to send emails directly, without showing any windows or popups.
    • SMTP with STARTTLS support on all supported platforms, unlike standard Unity SmtpClient, which makes it work with most modern secure SMTP servers.
    • Attachments.
    • Multiple To, Cc and Bcc recipients; Subject, Body, HTML Body and attachments are supported for both composing and sending.
    • A sample & test scene, which is completely functional even directly in the Unity Editor.

Universal Tools asset.
    See also our popular UTNotifications - Professional Local & Push Notification Plugin.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. UnravelingHell

UnravelingHell

Is it possible to add inline images with this? If so, do you have an example of it?

Thanks!

3. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @UnravelingHell ,

No, currently it's not supported: you can attach images, but not insert them in the message body (although, you of course can insert images from web with usual HTML tags).

Best regards,
    Yuriy, Universal Tools team.

4. NexarChile

NexarChile

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov,

I'ts possible to send an e-mail using a fake "From" adress?

Best regards,

Chris.

5. NexarChile

NexarChile

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov,
    Another question:
    How can I attach a mp4 video file (less than 10 MB, stored on a local folder) to the e-mail message?

Best regards,

Chris.

6. DustinB

DustinB

Hello! I just started using this asset and am having trouble getting the sample scene to send an email. I keep getting this error message :
    Windows MAPI doesn't support IsBodyHtml property when composing an email. The property will be ignored (though an email client may still interpret the body as HTML).
    See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...0c-emailmessage-with-emailmessagebodykindhtml

Can someone please point me in the right direction, I do not understand Idisposable methods or how to use them.

Thanks in advance!

7. kartoonist435

kartoonist435

Did you ever figure out sending a video? I need to send a jpeg and can't figure it out.

8. NexarChile

NexarChile

Nope, I asked the same question to the e-mail utmail@universal-tools.com, but I didn't become an answer yet...

9. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @NexarChile ,

No, it's impossible, not only because of lack in the UTMail API, but first of all because no modern email servers accept such messages for security reasons.

10. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @NexarChile & @kartoonist435 ,

There are 5 ways of attaching anything in UTMail. Please see API reference for each of the 5 overloads of UT.MailMessage.AddAttachment:
    https://universal-tools.github.io/U...essage.html#a75352e735c1519a5851bba2b452d2114
    https://universal-tools.github.io/U...essage.html#a491a285ed3282eb19f0da22d88c47f34
    https://universal-tools.github.io/U...essage.html#a42ba1de9d2d66baf753c180d6905462b
    https://universal-tools.github.io/U...essage.html#a0121736da5cb168007e786793fb0eed7
    https://universal-tools.github.io/U...essage.html#acb50339a5859cac9a4f45811b5b72571

Most likely, the first overload is what you need, but there are other options as well (first of all the 2nd and 3rd overloads), feel free to choose one which suits your needs the best.

Best regards,

11. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @DustinB ,

As stated, IsBodyHtml property is not supported when composing on Windows due to the limitations of Windows Messaging API (MAPI) & Universal Windows Platform (UWP) emailing API:
    See also remarks to the property in UT.MailMessage class:
    Best regards,

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. NexarChile

NexarChile

OK @Yuriy-Ivanov thanks for your answer!

Best regards,

Chris.

13. NexarChile

NexarChile

Hey @Yuriy-Ivanov thanks for your help, you were right, it was very simple!

You have won a 5 star recommendation from me on the Asset Store!

As a last question: how can I catch errors on sending e-mails (for example if I don't have Internet connection), to develop a Buffer, that send later the e-mails that couldn't be sent?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Chris.

14. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @NexarChile ,

Right now UTMail will just log an exception or an error with either UnityEngine.Debug.LogError or UnityEngine.Debug.LogException (it depends on a platform and a specific issue). F.e. when there is no connection, SocketException would be logged. You can't really handle that exception without a hook on Unity log (which is possible), as sending is done asynchronously and an exception may happen in a background thread. If you really have to handle that case, you can modify the asset source code to do something else (like store emails which failed to send), see Assets/UniversalTools/UTMail/Src/Mail.cs, lines 113 & 124 and Assets/UniversalTools/UTMail/Src/WSA/UTMailWSAImpl.cs, lines 44 & 50.

In the next update we're gonna improve error handling on sending emails.

Best regards,

15. WagDan

WagDan

Hi Yuriy-Ivanov,
    lovely plugin, sends our mails and attachments no problem, but it does not seem to handle a replyto address.

I have try two ways of doing this:

using (var message = new UT.MailMessage()
    .AddTo(toAddress)
    .SetSubject(emailSubject)
    .SetBody(HtmlEmailTemplate.text)
    .SetBodyHtml(true)
    )
    {
    message.ReplyTo = new UT.System.Net.Mail.MailAddress(smtpReplyToAddress);

AND
    message.ReplyToList.Add(smtpReplyToAddress);

With the first variant the mail sends ok, but the ReplyTo is ignored.
    With the second variant the mail silently fails, it just never arrives at all.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks
    WagDan

16. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @WagDan ,

First of all, thank you for using UTMail.
    Unfortunately, ReplyTo - is an undocumented setting, available in UTMail API on some platforms due to the way it's implemented on these platforms. It's not supported by the asset and won't even compile if using on other platforms. You might use CC instead, so smtpReplyToAddress would receive an email when replying all. I'm afraid it's the best you can get currently.

Best regards,

17. WagDan

WagDan

Hi Yuriy,
    many thanks for fast reply, at least we now know this limitation.
    All the best
    WagDan

18. WagDan

WagDan

Sorry just re-read again.. which platforms might it work on? We are developing for iOS and Windows.
    Thanks again!

19. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

None platforms actually, I'm afraid. It's available in the API on non-Windows platforms, but ignored by UTMail anyway.

20. Olivier-Tache

Olivier-Tache

Hi,

I'm a happy user of UTMail (works like a charm) ! Now I'm wondering how to manage the case where the user does not have an email client configured (because he or she uses webmail only). Do you have any clue ? And first, is UTMail able to detect this situation ?

Thanks !
    Olivier

21. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @Olivier-Tache ,

This situation is handled by an underlying OS: usually in this case, a system mail client is open offering configuring an account. Unfortunately, we generally can't detect this case and particularly can't interact with a web client, sorry.

Best regards,

22. Olivier-Tache

Olivier-Tache

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov ,

Thanks for your quick reply ! I was expecting this anwser, we'll have to find workarounds ;) Best regards

23. Snaxz

Snaxz

Hello, great plugin! Just got it integrated and running, file attached. Was wondering if there are any call backs that I can catch to tell the user the email was sent successfully.

Thanks in advance!
    Jason

24. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

No, I'm afraid at the moment you can't handle the result. It's a planned feature (when sending email with Smtp) for the next release. We'll also try to get any results when composing, but it can be hard or impossible to achieve due to the limited API capabilities available across various operating systems.

Best regards,

25. tnaseem

tnaseem

I'm having an issue sending via an Android build. It used to work (Unity 2017.2), but doesn't seem to send the email this time (I'm now building using Unity 2017.3.1).

I've tested it in the Unity Editor and it sends fine from there.It's just the Android build that doesn't seem to do anything.

The code snippet is below, but not sure if this helps as it's not changed since the last time when it used to work! Is there an issue with Android builds on Unity 2017.3.1?

// Send the email.
    using (var message = new UT.MailMessage()
    .AddTo(playerEmail)
    .SetSubject("Your Stay Cool Capsule")
    .SetBody(emailBody))
    {
    UT.Mail.Send(message, "smtp.gmail.com", EmailAccount, EmailPassword, true);
    }

This is with version 1.0.1.

Any help or pointers most appreciated!

Update:
    It only seems to do this on a development build. Release build seems to work fine.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  26. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @tnaseem,

Can you please check LogCat logs when trying to send your email? If there is anything related, please send these log lines. If not, could you maybe prepare and send me to utmail@universal-tools.com a sample Unity project reproducing your issue (of course, no need to specify your email credentials, I'll use mine instead)? I'm interested first of all in the project build configuration: build system, scripting backend, code minification settings and so on, no need to send me your resources, scenes or game code.

Best regards,

27. andyz

andyz

Hi has this plugin been used to send email through gmail or office365 via smtp?
    I ask because I have not been able to do that in .net/mono & Unity even with all security reduced (allow less secure apps etc in gmail)

It used to work but seems like security is preventing now

28. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @andyz ,

Not sure about office365, but GMail works well in UTMail if you disable 2-factor authentication and allow for less secure apps: I've just checked it just in case.

Please note that our SMTP client implementation is based on code of Mono 4 on most platforms, and .Net in Windows Store/UWP, it's not a standard Unity Mono implementation. It's important to support modern STARTTLS authentication process.

Best regards,

29. andyz

andyz

Thanks, got it, tried it, seems to work fine!
    Only thing is, as others mentioned, there is no return information about success/failure of send call

30. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Yep, this functionality is planned for the next update. Hopefully, we'll find some time to create the update and publish it reasonably soon.

31. andyz

andyz

There is also a compile bug with the defines as more than one version of MailImpl can be compiled if you build for Mac on windows or windows on Mac, which of course throws an error. Needs more flexibility there

32. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @andyz ,

You're right, we've never tested this atypical way to build in Unity. I added a bug into our internal issue tracking system. I'll send you a patch as soon as it's ready.

33. _Amael_

_Amael_

Hi @Yuriy-Ivanov,

Thanks for making such a great asset, it's been my reliable go-to solution for all things email related in my apps.

That said, I've recently encountered an issue that's causing crashes on Android 7 devices - the appropriate part from the LogCat is here:

android.os.FileUriExposedException: file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.packageName/cache/UTMailAttachments.com.packageName/30-05-2018%2008-00-47PM.jpg exposed beyond app through ClipData.Item.getUri()

I'm trying to send an email that attaches an image that's located in the app's Application.persistentDataPath. The issue is only affecting newer versions of Android, and I believe that the cause of the problem is detailed here:

https://proandroiddev.com/sharing-files-though-intents-are-you-ready-for-nougat-70f7e9294a0b

https://medium.com/@ali.muzaffar/wh...ion-and-what-you-can-do-about-it-70b9eb17c6d0

Is this something that you'd be able to fix with the asset?

Thanks & all the best,

Amael

34. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @_Amael_ ,

The issue is known and caused by Android 7+ restrictions on files sharing API: UTMail warns about that issue on build when targeting Android 7 or newer. Eventually we're gonna release an update to avoid using that file sharing API (there is a much more complicated way of attaching files which works on Android 7 and newer). Is it possible that you choose to target Android 6 in your Unity project settings? It will work well on Android 7 and newer too, but you will be unable to use Android 7/8 specific system feature, which is usually a bad idea anyway if you'd like to support older versions of Android too.

This can be done in Android build settings in Unity: Unity menu -> File -> Build Settings... -> Player Settings... -> Other Settings -> Identification -> Target API Level -> Android 6.0 'Marshmallow' (API Level 23).

Sorry for that inconvenience.

Best regards,

35. MS80

MS80

@Yuriy-Ivanov Hi! How is the current status of this planned feature? Your asset looks really nice, but the fact that there is no return information (mail successfully send or error) is a downer. Do you have something like a unofficial, experimental build with such feature which you could send your customers after sending invoice number?

36. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @MS80 ,

We've recently completed some important work and finally got some time to complete an update of UTNotifications, so now it's time of UTMail. I'm not sure yet how long it will take to implement the update (hopefully, no more than a couple of weeks now) and then I can drop you a personal message with details on how to get the patch even before it gets reviewed and approved by Unity Asset Store team.

Best regards,

37. MS80

MS80

Thanks for your fast and detailed reply! That sounds promising ;)

Unfortunately, I'm in a hurry and would need a fast solution. Maybe you have a workaround or other approaches how to check if the message was send or not (for windows build, not clean, not polished, but something somehow working)?

38. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Theoretically you might try parsing unity log messages (Unity allows intercepting them in runtime), but it's lame of course. The easier is if you add appropriate changes yourself: it shouldn't be too difficult to do to read the existing code and find places where sending with SMTP is done (it's platform dependent code, so there are a few places) and any exceptions of this process are handled and errors can be returned. Please note though that depending on a platform, it may happen in a separate (non main) thread some time after you requested sending the email.

39. MS80

MS80

Thanks! So if I understand correctly, your code already handles exceptions, just need to find the correct place and add some lines to it to set f.e. a bool (I just need handling windows platform for now)?!
    Btw, does your asset handle sending mail in the background or will Unity freeze while message is send?
    Ok, that was it for now, sorry for all those questions ;)

40. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Yes, any errors and exceptions are handled and logged already. And yes, it sends emails in background to avoid any long blocking operations (some lag may still happen in case you attach large or many files).

41. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

@MS80 ,

Hi, just wanted to let you know that handling SMTP sending results is implemented. If you need it ASAP, please drop an email to utmail@universal-tools.com, attaching your Asset Store purchase receipt, and I'll send you the patch.

Best regards,

42. MS80

MS80

Hey Yuriy, that's cool!

I'm sure this will make your current and future customers happy! :) I've send you a message with my invoice.

43. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Thank you, please find the patch in your email box.

Best regards,

44. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi All,

Version 1.1 has just been published.
    Changes:
    - All versions of Send method now optionally accept a callback to handle the result of sending.
    - Android: No need to target API Level 23 or lower anymore for composing. Any API levels >= 9 are supported.

Best regards,

45. AmirLevi

AmirLevi

Hi,
    Bought UTMail today, and it works perfectly on IOS.
    but when I'm building for android I'm getting an error: "Failed to repackage resources".
    and this is what the console showing me:

CommandInvokationFailure: Failed to re-package resources.
    D:\Android\SDK\build-tools\28.0.2\aapt.exe package --auto-add-overlay -v -f -m -J "gen" -M "AndroidManifest.xml" -S "res" -I "D:/Android/SDK\platforms\android-28\android.jar" -F bin/resources.ap_ --extra-packages universal.tools.mail -S "C:\Users\Amir Levi\EvritAppLibrary\Temp\StagingArea\android-libraries\utmail\res"
    stderr[
    AndroidManifest.xml:12: Tag <provider> attribute authorities has invalid character '$'.
    ]
    stdout[
    Configurations:
    (default)
    Files:
    xml\utmail_provider_paths.xml
    AndroidManifest.xml
    Resource Dirs:
    Type xml
    xml\utmail_provider_paths.xml
    Including resources from package: D:\Android\SDK\platforms\android-28\android.jar
    applyFileOverlay for drawable
    trying overlaySet Key=app_banner.png
    trying overlaySet Key=app_icon.png
    trying overlaySet Key=unity_static_splash.png
    applyFileOverlay for layout
    applyFileOverlay for anim
    applyFileOverlay for animator
    applyFileOverlay for interpolator
    applyFileOverlay for transition
    applyFileOverlay for xml
    applyFileOverlay for raw
    applyFileOverlay for color
    applyFileOverlay for menu
    applyFileOverlay for font
    applyFileOverlay for mipmap
    Processing image: res\drawable-xhdpi\app_banner.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-ldpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-mdpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-hdpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-xhdpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-xxhdpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable-xxxhdpi\app_icon.png
    Processing image: res\drawable\unity_static_splash.png
    (new resource id app_banner from xhdpi-v4\drawable\app_banner.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from ldpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from mdpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from hdpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from xhdpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from xxhdpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id app_icon from xxxhdpi-v4\drawable\app_icon.png #generated)
    (new resource id unity_static_splash from drawable\unity_static_splash.png #generated)
    ]
    exit code: 1

I'm on windows and using Unity 2017.4.8

can you please help me ?

Thaks

46. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @tiptip ,

It's a known issue of Unity old internal build system: f.e. see here and here. Please use Gradle as Build System (there is a drop down in the Unity build dialog) or update to the latest version of Unity, which doesn't have this issue anymore.

Best regards,

47. AusyTeam

AusyTeam

Hey,

Currently on a project from my company, we have buy this plugin.
    It works well on gmail, but not for emails from my company. Do you know why ?

Cordially,
    Axel Aiello

48. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi Axel,

First of all, thank you for using our asset.
    Usually it's one of 2 primary reasons:
    - Your company's SMPT server doesn't support STARTTLS protocol or you've specified the port number which doesn't enable STARTTLS. Usually, the correct STARTTLS SMTP port number is 587 while SMTPS uses port 465, which is not supported by UTMail. STARTTLS approach is generally recommended.
    - Your server uses some advanced authentication, like NTLM or Kerberos based, which are not supported by the asset.

Best regards,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  49. augmentaio

augmentaio

Hy UT-Team,

Thanks for the great plugin. It works like a charm, but we have stumbled upon an issue.
    I was wondering if there's any updates regarding a result handler when composing (not sending) an email? On iOS (12.2.x) there's no notification or error handling event when the user doesn't have the email client set up. So if this is the case, nothing happens after pressing the "Compose"-button. The only hint is the message ("Mail services are not available.") in the debugger of Xcode. Just as in the sending feature, this would also be useful for the composing feature.

50. Yuriy-Ivanov

Yuriy-Ivanov

Hi @augmentaio,

Yes, this functionality is in our backlog, but we haven't started working on it yet.

Best regards,