Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] uTire Dynamic Tire Deformation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Pecek, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Barritico

Barritico

2. Pecek

Pecek

@Barritico Sorry for the late reply. Yes, both V1 and the (hopefully soon to be released) V2 will support VPP. Currently I'm focusing entirely on V2, but if it's critical for your project let me know and I'll prioritize it.

Freznosis and Barritico like this.
  3. Pecek

Pecek

I was finally able to work on V2, here is a small, no bullshit teaser - the headline here is the accuracy, and the fact that there is no more magic number to be set, it just works(and not in a Todd Howard way, it really does!).

More to come in the following weeks!

Freznosis, Meceka, khos and 2 others like this.
  4. Pecek

Pecek

The promised update, in a lot more polished state - though it's a somewhat unconventional demo, I thought this would be the absolute worst case scenario so it would showcase it better(and I also really wanted to do something like this for a while lol)

There is still a lot to be done, but the shader itself is done(I'll tidy it up and look for places to optimize, but every functionality I wanted is already there), and the core of the system is done, now to create a new manual(although this one is going to be a lot shorter as there is not much to do manually), and I have to rewrite it to use the job system, but I'm pretty sure I can submit it next week, and post a summary of the changes by the weekend. :)
    If you have specific questions let me know, and I'll make sure to address them by then.

5. newlife

newlife

Cool it seems that in a full physical coherent way. How much raycast are you using?

6. Pecek

Pecek

@newlife In this video 24(3x8), but it's completely scalable between 1 and 255. The distribution doesn't have to be uniform either, it's possible to only cast rays in a certain direction and in a certain angle range(~it doesn't waste rays checking against the fender unless you need 360 collision detection).

7. newlife

newlife

@Pecek thanks. Are the raycasts batched?

8. Pecek

Pecek

@newlife not yet, but at release they will be(for 3D anyway, 2D raycast jobs are not supported yet as far as I know)

9. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

Any new release date estimates?
    It does start to run a bit fast for my game.

Thank you.

10. Pecek

Pecek

@Barritico Thanks for bringing it up, I will look into it right away and let you know later today.

About V2.
    I was hoping to sort it out, but the way things look now I'm not sure if I can release(or use) it at all. It was done on time, everything is working as expected, it's not that.
    Potential legal issues popped up, I was working for a company this year and they claim I worked on V2 while I still had a contract with them which states pretty much every dev work I do is theirs(this part is absolutely correct, however I didn't even start working on the update while I had a contract with them - I'm in the process of trying to prove this.) I honestly don't know what's going to happen, if they back off eventually I can release it(it would make sense, they don't even do anything 3D, or even game related - but then again, I don't see how this claim makes any sense), but if they don't this is it basically, I'm not going to court over this.

11. newlife

newlife

Oh that's a pity!. Hope that you'll find a settlement for this.

12. Pecek

Pecek

@Barritico I just submitted the update with VPP support(like with the other integrations, open up Tools->TSD->Tire Deformation Integrations Installer-> Install Vehicle Physics Pro Integration). After that you will be able to use both the VPVehicleController or just VPWheelController. If you don't want to wait for Unity's approval(should be a day or two) let me know and I'll send the update directly.

@newlife Thank you! I hope so, it's about as demoralizing as it can get. However just for clarification, this doesn't affect V1 in any way, it's not going to be deprecated, or anything like that - as someone already asked about it in PM. If there is a development about this I'll let you know.

keeponshading and Barritico like this.
  13. Barritico

Barritico

Thanks!!!
    I wait for Unity until monday. If not, then mail to you.

Good luck!!!

14. overthere

overthere

Sorry to hear about your contract issues :( particularly as V2 looks so good!

For V1 is there a way to get a read out of the extent of tyre deformation based on the raycasts? thanks

15. Pecek

Pecek

@overthere Thank you! Yeah, it sucks, but for now it is what is.:\
    Without deforming the mesh on the CPU as well you couldn't calculate the exact visual deformation, but if you don't need it to be that accurate then it would be quite easy to calculate from the ray array that's already available(from the top of my head I'm not sure if this is a public a variable or not, but they are already calculated).
    If you can tell me more about what you need I could probably answer your question a bit better.

overthere likes this.
  16. overthere

overthere

@Pecek Thanks, no wouldn't need to be particularly accurate. Was just wanting to prototype if modulating friction based on extent of deformation added anything to the driving feel. So if you were driving over uneven terrain with a low pressure -> greater deformation -> increased friction

17. keeponshading

keeponshading

Nice VPP integration. Thanks. I would start V3. Forget about V2.)

18. StudioTatsu

StudioTatsu

v2 looks like it will be impressive. I am looking for GPU approach instead of CPU to deform tires.
    I purchased the current version, unfortunately, It looks like I will need to rewrite it due to wasted raycast calls. :(

My custom wheel collider returns the position, force, and pressure of the contact point - uTire (3d version) seems to do a raycast check basically returning the same value.

I did a test with 10 BelAZ 75710 Dump Trucks and the performance dropped significantly when I added uTires.
    Would it be complicated to create a modification that doesn't use an array of raycasts to deform the tires for the 3D Version? I think that would solve my performance issues.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  19. khos

khos

PS: Your demos are really cool, the ones I seen on Reddit etc! Congrats, are those wheels using utire?!

20. StudioTatsu

StudioTatsu

Thanks, My custom wheels are currently using my Soft-Mesh tech for deformation -
    which is overkill for tires in my opinion.

That is why I am currently looking for a GPU solution, this will hopefully have better performance on lower-end machines. ;)

21. NelsonHurst

NelsonHurst

Can the 3D tire deform at a world or local position instead of an array of raycasts?

22. Pecek

Pecek

@NelsonHurst technically sure, but then you would have to supply the "collision" data yourself - for the deformation itself it doesn't care about the rays, it might as well be a world space position if the additional data is provided(like ray length, but since this is a wheel the ray length always equals to Abs(wheelCenter-hitPoint)).

@StudioTatsu you can set the amount of rays even down to 1, it would be slightly faster without using arrays then but I feel like if the performance budget is that critical the single ray based solution would be a better choice. World collisions need at least 6 rays to look convincing in my opinion, more if a wheel is big enough.

NelsonHurst likes this.
  23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

As a side note, you could now also add tessellation on URP and HDRP since ASE now supports this.

Freznosis and Pecek like this.
  24. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Any news on V2 or V3?

25. ahmetyazir22

ahmetyazir22

I wonder which vehicle asset you used for the vehicle itself. I really liked the way it crawls on the rocks. Would you mind sharing the asset name?

unityunity