Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] uTire Dynamic Tire Deformation V2

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Pecek, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Pecek

Pecek

AssetStore Link

uTire V2 is a tire deformation solution designed to be fast, convincing-looking well integrated, and as easy to use as possible.

If you have anything with a wheel and want to add a bit of extra realism at virtually no performance cost in no time, look no further.

V1 owners can update to V2 for free. :)

Features
    • Easy to use, drag&drop. If you need to do anything the interface will walk you through it.
    • Works with any vehicle that uses the built-in WheelCollider, WheelController3D or VehiclePhysicsPro's WheelCollider
    • It can also work without altering physics at all, visual deformation is completely decoupled from PhysX. It literally can be added to finished projects within minutes, adding visual interest without changing behavior.
    • It works with *any* vehicle asset on the Store! (but it doesn't need any to function)
    • Integration with Vehicle Physics Pro and NWH2(these assets come with their own wheel physics)
    • HDRP(10.x), URP(10.x), Legacy Rendering support
    • Lightweight, raycasting uses the job system, while the deformation itself is done in vertex shader
    • Included Amplify Shader Editor function - just drag "uTireV2 Base Function" into the (relative)VertexOffset slot, add "uTireV2" anywhere into your shader's name, the rest is done automatically
    • Doesn't care about mesh normals, works with non-center pivoted meshes, can be resized, etc
    Each SRP comes with 3 variations
    • Simple - Albedo, deformation
    • Standard - PBR(Albedo, Normal, Smoothness, Metallic, Occlusion), deformation
    • Tessellation - Standard + Tessellation
    Included art
    • Contains 2 wheel meshes
    • 1x Sport rim and tire (1 variant, PBR, 2k maps)
    • 1x 14inch rim and tire(6 different thread pattern, PBR, 2k maps)
    • 1x Offroad rim and tire(1 variant, no texture)

List of dependencies
    • Naughty Attributes (you can use the github version as well)
    • Unity.Jobs
    • Unity.Burst
    • Unity.Mathematics

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    AlanMattano and Rotary-Heart like this.
  2. ceebeee

ceebeee

I saw early posts about this on Reddit, and have been looking forward to seeing it released. Amazing job.

3. Pecek

Pecek

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

4. John-G

John-G

5. Ian094

Ian094

Looks awesome. Great work!

6. Pecek

Pecek

@John-G Thanks! I don't own Wheel Controller 3D yet so I can't say for sure, but if it's possible to adjust the radius at runtime sure, I'll make it work. The schedule is fairly laid out for the next few weeks though, but I'll make sure it'll be ready before the end of April. On a side note, no idea how I missed that asset though, it looks amazing.

@Intense_Gamer94 Thank you!

Edit: I just bought Wheel Controller 3D and apparently I was overly pessimistic, it will be done in no time, most likely with the first update in a few days.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    John-G likes this.
  7. John-G

John-G

That's great, purchased.

EDIT: Any chance you could have a look at this down the line and see if the could be made to work together as it's shader based. Though may be able to just use the textures direct into uTire.
    Spin Wheel Effect would complement this perfectly.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/67431

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  8. Pecek

Pecek

Thanks, I hope you'll find it useful! :)
    Hmm, I'm not sure about this one, I'll take a look into it as I have no idea how it works yet, but for now I really want to focus on the planned workflow and content updates first(also there are some minor issues I would like to address in the following days along with WheelController3D integration). But I'll get back to you about it as soon as I can.

John-G likes this.
  9. Pecek

Pecek

@John-G Phew, it was a lot more trouble than I initially expected but I finally got it working.

As Wheel Controller 3D will need an update to natively support radius change at runtime it isn't quite 'done' yet(fingers crossed as I got no word about that from @NWHCoding), but worst case scenario a simple copy-paste will do the job.

John-G and Rotary-Heart like this.
  10. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Well you just got a new buyer by looking at that video. I remember seeing somewhere on his forum that he has the function for that, but it was removed out of update.

Never mind it was you who asked about that. Amazing asset by the way.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. Pecek

Pecek

@Rotary-Heart Thanks! :) The update will be available in a few days(with some other hotfixes, like I accidentally included a shader twice in the initial release(currently the "simple"(absolute barebones for mobile) variant also have tessellation), there were a few issues with the setup wizard, small things like that), these are fixed already but I don't want to rush it until I know if there will be a WC3D update or not.

If you guys have any other requests/ideas let me know, I would love to see this in as many games as possible. :)

Rotary-Heart likes this.
  12. John-G

John-G

That's great, looking forward to the update.

13. Pecek

Pecek

1.0.5 submitted :)
    Change log
    +Wheel Controller 3D integration

*Fixed null reference exception when changing the deflated radius via slider
    *Fixed null reference expection when focusing on wheel mesh
    *Fixed 'Simple' shader variant(now works on mobile as intented)
    *Fixed material setup's slide limits(now it will adjust itself properly according to the maximum bulge value)
    *Fixed included materials
    *Changed the folder structure of the included meshes/textures
    *Changed the preview of the deflated radius(now it's drawn at the mesh instead of the WheelCollider)

-Removed unnecessary files

Note
    The way uTire handles the wheel changed completely in order to be a lot more flexible(it isn't tied to the built-in WheelCollider anymore), but because of this you'll have to setup your vehicles again(just the connections and the deflated radius, the materials will behave the same)

Rotary-Heart likes this.
  14. Pecek

Pecek

A small update(it's live already)
    +Undo\redo support
    +Vehicle settings can be saved\loaded at runtime or at design time (check out the dynamic example to see how it works, the code is commented and you can switch between the spawning methods by pressing PageUp\PageDown)
    +Added a few extra hints to the Manager to make the setup process more straight forward

John-G and ceebeee like this.
  15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Any plans on letting users define the ground plane orientation? Just using world Y seems hacky, considering people will drive up hills too (not to mention the loop example in the docs).

16. Pecek

Pecek

@rizu
    Technically I don't see why not, it would cost some performance on both CPU and GPU but probably not much. I'll tinker with it and get back to you.

Edit: done, tomorrow I'll make sure everything works as expected, update the documentation and then upload the new version, should be available in a few days(send me an email if you don't want to wait for the store approval).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. khos

khos

This looks like a really interesting asset, I'd like to ask a question (no biggie, just curious), is the deforming occurring anywhere on the tire, or only at the bottom (where wheel collider hits), say my car hits a rock at an angle will that deform the wheel accordingly too?

18. ceebeee

ceebeee

read two posts up from yours. and then down.

Pecek and khos like this.
  19. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin

Hi,

I was wondering if this system will work with NWH Vehicle Physics?

Thanks

20. Pecek

Pecek

@PunkPuffin
    I don't own NWH Vehicle Physics, but as far as I know they are using their own WheelController3D package - which is supported out of the box. Automatic setup is only available for EVP\RCC yet though.

21. khos

khos

I am liking your asset, I just purchased and works well so far.

I'd like to ask a couple of things if possible (sorry if I they stupid/already answered):
    -Can the object that is approaching be used to dynamically adjust the ground plane / offset orientation? So if a steep rock is being driven over the deflation will adjust dynamically? Would it work to create a script that sends a raycast out to check the objects ahead's/on top angle and use that?
    -Can tire deflation be gradually reset (e.g. like when tire is off the ground/in air), specifically if going down a a bump (where there id less gravivity/force), to me the tire just seems to stay at one deflation level no matter what part if the bump the tire is rolling over. Maybe there is an option to make this more dynamic? Then it will look much more realistic.
    -Can tire deformation also go on other axis like Z axis , or only Y?

22. Pecek

Pecek

@khos
    Thank you!
    -It would be totally possible, however I'm going to be honest here, my 3D math is meh at best, at the time I spent 4 days on the problem and ended up with a extremely hacky solution which didn't even worked in every situation, in the end that's why I just added the option to update it manually. The problem is by default the shader works in world space so it's easy to find the top\bottom, but in order to be able to rotate the displacement position I had to switch to object space and update the rotation manually plus offset it.

-Sure, open uTireManager.cs and change line 490
    Code (CSharp):
    1. springCompression = 0f;
    to something like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float compressionResetSpeed = 2f;
    2. springCompression = Mathf.Lerp(springCompression, 0f, Time.deltaTime * compressionResetSpeed);
    -Sadly currently this isn't possible either, it would require everything to be calculated in object space(as 'up' tends to be upwards in 3D games, but rotation around the Y axis makes everything much more complicated when it comes to any other direction)

I'm curious, in what situation would you need these features?

23. khos

khos

Many thanks for your reply and help!
    I am looking to implement this in an existing / update of an off road car type game, also implement it to another game I'm currently working on (ArchaeologyX) where a vehicle could go over some offload type terrain, sample video:

The lerp code you provided seems to work quite nicely,thanks for that!
    No problem about no deforming on other x/z axes, it is not so important.

For the question regarding about "dynamically adjust the ground plane / offset orientation", I think that would make the tire deform look very nice, see this video to maybe help visualise things (but I think you do understand correctly)
    , you can see that when the wheel goes over a object/bump then the offset orientation does not change. I have managed to make a script that finds the angle of the object under the wheel, see script below (I just attach this to the wheel mesh for now). This gets the angle, but I am not sure how to access the offset orientation in your scripts yet, can I ask for your pointers, then I can try adjust this dynamically/at runtime.

C# Code:
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class GetGroundAngle : MonoBehaviour {
    public float groundSlopeAngle = 0f;
    public int dist = 10;
    public Vector3 dir = new Vector3 (0,-1,0);
    public RaycastHit Hit;
    void LateUpdate ()
    {
    if(Physics.Raycast(transform.position,dir, out Hit,dist)){
    groundSlopeAngle = Vector3.Angle(Hit.normal, Vector3.up);
    }
    }
    }

Another point, just for info, if I use the Unity's ScreenSpaceAmbientOcclusion image effect script I see a slight "ghosting" effect on the tires, see in above video too.

24. Pecek

Pecek

@khos In situations like this(~on steep angles) a solution like this would always look fake no matter what, especially in intersections, this is one of the limitations I mentioned in the manual(as deformation only occurs on a single point, if the tire is between two rocks only the last collision would be visible - a workaround would be a loop in the shader to run through every position, but on rough terrain you would really need proper soft body physics. I mean, it would be better, but nowhere near accurate).
    This is just a shot in the dark, but do you see the same issue with the AO if you don't use tessellation?

The code is pretty simple
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Material mat; //assign the material you want to edit
    2. float angle; //the local angle in degrees you want to set
    3. _mat.SetFloat("_AxisAngle",angle);
    Now the tricky part is since the shader works in object space(and as far as I know you can't access the transform's rotation from shader) so the angle have to be localAngle + offsetAngle. The 'offsetAngle' should be the angle between the center of the tire and the hit.point(it doesn't matter if it's smaller than 0 or bigger than 360, but have to be in degrees).

25. khos

khos

Thanks for your reply/info.
    I'm just looking at the code/shader, you mention that one could use code such as "_mat.SetFloat("_AxisAngle",angle);"
    but I do not find that in the shader "TSD/Tire Deformation/Tessellation" (one I'm using). There is a _AxisAngle property in the customAngle version but if I select that my wheel is totally messed up visually in the Editor view.
    Should I be using the customAngle one if testing that out?

"This is just a shot in the dark, but do you see the same issue with the AO if you don't use tessellation?", I did try some of the other shaders but does not seem to make a difference from I could see.

26. Pecek

Pecek

@khos That's is correct, you have to select the custom angle variant for this(the reason for this is it's slower and unless you specifically need this feature it doesn't make much sense to pay the performance penalty - it isn't much, but I spent a lot of time optimizing it as much as I could to make it a viable option in every project, the "simple" variant is barely slower than the the built in vertex lit shader(around 10%)).
    I don't like reading manuals either, but dude, it's only a few pages, with huge images :D

27. Pecek

Pecek

1.2 Submitted for approval
    -Support for HDRP, LWRP and Legacy Rendering(HDRP\LWRP have only been tested with their 3.0.0 preview packages)
    -Option to change the default shader settings(~no longer have to disable tessellation and enable instancing if you target mobile(or just want to save some performance))
    -Fixed some Material Manager bugs

The shaders were changed for easier maintenance, but this also means updating from an early version is a bit complicated(sorry about that). You will either have to open each material with the manager and click "change material" when prompted, or manually open every material and switch to TSD/TireDeformation/LegacySimple, LegacyStandard or LegacyTessellation. The old Simple, Standard, Tessellation, CustomAngleSimple, CustomAngleStandard,CustomAngleTessellation isn't used anymore, you can remove them. The settings will carry over, you won't lose your setup.

28. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi Pecey.
    Two question before purchase.
    We use a generative Tire Standard model with high geo details. It is splitted in 6 different meshes with 6 different materials.
    eg. Typo at the sides.Only Surface who contacts street. Mesh between were dirt gets in....
    Is it possible to use your deformation system on these splitted meshes who form together the tire.

I would need these seperate materials and the tires are used in different engines and tools. Around 300 different models.

Second question.
    The tires are correct in size to real world tires.
    Pivots in the center. Would it be possible to automate the setup per bounding box and pivot so that we must not touch all wheels by hand?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  29. Pecek

Pecek

Hey @keeponshading
    The displacement is applied based on the normals, if the vertices share the exact same normals it doesn't matter if they are on the same mesh or not - but if the normals don't match(this usually happens when you use different smoothing groups on the sides) there will be a gap between them. Out of curiosity, could share a image of your setup? I have a hard time understanding your exact situation.

Hmm, currently there are no bulk tools but this is definitely a valid scenario, I'll make sure to include it in the next update - until then my answer is it depends. If every mesh is the same size with the same orientation you could simply copy and paste the materials/material values(you would still have to change the textures by hand though, but the displacement settings would carry over).

If you have further questions let me know!

keeponshading likes this.
  30. Barritico

Barritico

Hi:

Does it have an effect on the behavior of the physics or is it just a visual effect?

Thanks!

31. Pecek

Pecek

Hey @Barritico,

Optionally it can change the size of the wheel collider, this would change the physical behavior more or less, but other than that it's just a visual effect. The dynamic collider size can be toggled at runtime or at edit time via the uTireManager(it's on by default).

Barritico likes this.
  32. keeponshading

keeponshading

I will send you a set of tires and screenshot tomorrow.

33. m0nsky

m0nsky

Hi Pecek, any chance you could update this to work with the latest HDRP? I've tried doing it myself but haven't been able to get it to work.

34. Pecek

Pecek

@m0nsky I'm working on it, for whatever reason when I try to import the latest SRP even to an empty project it eats up my RAM in a minute or so and then the editor crashes.. I'll try it with a different Unity version - I'll get back the you as soon as I got it working.
    ..and sorry about the late reply, I rarely visit the forum, but if you have any problems(or requests\suggestions\what not) you can reach me pretty much 24\7 via email. :)

35. m0nsky

m0nsky

Thanks a lot, and don't worry about it, glad to hear you're giving it a try! :cool:

36. Pecek

Pecek

The new version should be available in a day or two with added support for LWRP 4.10, and HDRP 4.10

keeponshading likes this.
  37. Pecek

Pecek

uTire is finally going offroad! Hopefully this will bring a smile to many of you - it's still not there yet, but the most requested feature is definitely coming! There are a handful of issues which I would like address, but it should be ready early next month. :)

Deleted User, khos, John-G and 2 others like this.
  38. khos

khos

I can't seem to view the video, can you host it on youtube possibly? I'm interested to see the preview!

39. Pecek

Pecek

Just a quick update as the first video was so early(but I was enthusiastic about the progress, sue me:p), I was finally able to integrate it to the main shader and this where it is now

I'm really happy with how it turned out, but I'd love to hear your opinion! @khos asked about this in private and I thought it might interest others as well - it's compatible with any vehicle controller or wheel collider, since it doesn't rely on the wheelCollider's compression anymore but doing its own raycasts(which are totally customizable from a single raycast to up to 320 raycasts for super accurate collision detection(in the video above I used 96 rays)). So out of the box it will be compatible with the built in wheelCollider, WheelController3D, or your own custom stuff - as long as your world has colliders it will work.

40. khos

khos

I for one am very interested where this will lead to, the work you are doing looks to be well suited for offroad car (or vehicle) games and how tires can deformed over obstacles. Looking forward to any tests/info/developments :)

41. keeponshading

keeponshading

...but I'd love to hear your opinion!....

That looks really great. Really like the side movement.
    It would try to find some real world psi values as presets.

Cant wait to test it with vehicle physics pro.

Do you you could make the other way too.)

Some advanced press in in loose terrain?
    Or advanced Skidmarks.
    Think you have the experience now and it woud package greatly extend your package.

42. Pecek

Pecek

Rock climbers rejoice, the day has finally come! (will come soon anyway)

@keeponshading this is still 100% fake though, it doesn't change physics behavior in the slightest(I mean other than the changing wheel collider - if you happen to use one)

m0nsky, rz_0lento, khos and 1 other person like this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is looking very good! One question: Is it possible to create your own mesh (rubber with deep patterns) and textures, or are tires texture based only?

I need some tire deformation to heavy duty wheel loaders etc, and for that I draw my own tire-meshes. Would be nice if I could have them deformed as well... :)

44. keeponshading

keeponshading

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  45. khos

khos

I think you could achieve ground deformation in a various ways, like some tessellation assets that are on the store already.

46. Pecek

Pecek

Just to give you guys a heads up, everything is on track, unless something horrible happens I'll be able to submit the update during the weekend - until then here is a short trailer with on\off comparisons.

@keeponshading This will be a bit depressing. I would honestly love to work on stuff like this, but my asset store career isn't going exactly as planned(I mean, last month uTire sold a whopping 1 unit - 1 as in one), the only reason this update is happening is because I found it to be really interesting(my game don't even have vehicles lol) and it already had a solid foundation, so whenever I have free time I work on this. It would be fun, and not just that, dynamic rain shaders(like in Drive Club), environment based stuff(like bending foliage), shader based deformation, and what not - but at this point for me it's not even remotely viable as a full, or even part time job(and S*** like this takes time, this update alone took more 40 hours and it's not even done yet), really the reason I'm not abandoning my stuff is because it would be a dick move to everyone who bought them.

@LAROM it works with any mesh, it doesn't care about the texture at all - in fact I barely use custom meshes in the videos specifically to showcase the fact that you don't need to modify your stuff or design them from the get go to work with the shader, as long as your orientation is properly set(Y is up, Z is forward) everything will work smoothly. :) I believe the video in my post is probably similar to what you have in mind, that car(with the wheels) is bundled with NWH Vehicle Physics, after a minute long setup it deformed just as I expected it to. :)

47. keeponshading

keeponshading

I like your asset. Let it grow slowly and probaly an Amplify or ShaderGraph version helps to reduce maintenance in future and you could reach more customers. Also providing out of the box compatibility to Vehicle Physics Pro, EDY s Vehicle Physic, NHW.... could raise asset purchases.

We have some similar interests.)
    For windshield the best start and learning i found
    is this one
    https://github.com/EdoFrank/RainDropEffect
    This one is close to the Drive Club solution in performance and visual quality.

It has a lot of cool stuff like move drops left and right to connect to g forces of the car and so on. I startet from there and ended with the tech from raymarched blobs
    https://github.com/hecomi/uRaymarchingExamples

When HDRP is out of preview i will combine this to methods with ShaderGraph and VisualEffect Graph.
    The wind shield should be converted to an point cloud and an signed distance field for collision.For thr whipers you need an SDF, too. Than some millions of drops interacting with wind direction, windshield and whipers should be no problem in on or two draw calls. See and try here
    https://github.com/xraxra/SDFr

And for foliage the best i found is
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nified-wind-shaders-for-any-vegetation-115838

it works like a charm applying these to trees and foliage from a lot of sources with the integrated vertex color tool. It has also the Amplify Shader solution who could be easily extended to work on BuiltIn, HDRP and LWRP without a lot of redo everything. Thats probably the best way for you too.

But i loosed so much time by using preview HDRP that i had to stop working on it. I will go on when out of preview.

However. By adding PostProcessing and TAA to these made them real photo realistic and the instancing allows to pread them with vegetation studio .
    By further using the occlusion probes backport for BuiltIn improves the visual quality close to offline rendered.
    https://github.com/0lento/OcclusionProbesDemo

I have now deepest variation, they moving around and there are little bloom speculars at the end of the gras tip.)

For touch bending also visual effect graph will make it easy in the future.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

OK, thanks for the info. I'll buy it and we'll see how it works. I'm newbie on Unity so who knows, I might end up with entirely flat tires! ;)

// Rolf

49. Pecek

Pecek

I want to run over everything again before I submit the update, but 1.3 should be available in a few days, depending on how fast it'll be approved. :) Until then here is a detailed, real time set up video with a random mesh(the interface might look intimidating at first, but don't worry, most of the time you don't have to touch anything other than a few sliders).

@keeponshading While I absolutely appreciate the effort you put into your post, it's mostly a matter of time really, not lack of resources - one could spend their entire life on implementing Naughty Dog presentations alone lol

@LAROM Thank you, if you have questions let me know! Especially if you end up with flat tires! :D

50. khos

khos

Pecek was kind enough to let me beta test the tire deform component , I can say is WOW, this is really looking good!
    This update I am sure will make this the best car asset on the store, the holy grail of car tire deformation has just been found folks and I have been waiting for something like for a long time.

Some videos of my very early tests, look closely at the tires, they deform when rolling over objects! Sooo cool:

Another video with a slighter nicer tire model and perhaps more closer look at the tire deform:

I'm working towards an even a more softer tire look as my game uses slow rock crawling type game play.

Pecek, keep going, thanks for this nice update, looking forward to the final release.

keeponshading and Pecek like this.