Search Unity

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. johnny12345

johnny12345

no its ok i only need one download just was thinking about the future updates

thanks

2. liverolA

liverolA

This might be a bug, if you are right,does this mean the game can only run on 60 fps? I think this is impossbile for all devices.
    I also tried to make the active frames longer(switch from 2 frames to 5 frames or more),still not work. You should check may this is caused by Mecanim

3. liverolA

liverolA

This might be a bug, if you are right,does this mean the game can only run on 60 fps? I think this is impossbile for all devices.
    I also tried to make the active frames longer(switch from 2 frames to 5 frames or more),still not work. You should check may this is caused by Mecanim

4. Mistermind

Mistermind

To change the fps you need to change it in the advanced options, as well as on each move's fps architecture.
    Its also recommended that you plan this kind of thing ahead in the project, as all your moves may have drastic variations and might even skip active frames if you don't have everything well thought out from the beginning.
    In terms of Mecanim, there is in fact a limitation on the Animation Flow used. When Animation Flow is set to smooth the engine lets the animation run its course on its own as it "tries" to follow its current frame by syncing the frame count. Problem is, depending on the frame rate, some animations can run wild in terms of providing the engine with precise information. That's why I created the option "more precision". Problem is, the Mecanim system provided by unity does not offer us programmers enough to work with, and unfortunately this is one of the things we can't do with Mecanim. If I try to control the animation flow from Mecanim animations it just cause random visual glitches related to position and rotation.
    Mecanim animation is still on its infancy. For big projects I actually still recommend that you have your own animation team to avoid depending too much on this technology.
    However, as Unity evolves so will UFE, and eventually this sort of thing will solve it self up.

5. TJ_Phoenix

TJ_Phoenix

Okay, I've been thinking about buying this pack and after reading the comments and discussions on this thread, this last comment is the only one to make me pause. If I'm following what the issue is, you're saying that there will be visual glitches and missed collisions based upon device framerate and as long as the mecanim system is being used, thre's nothing we can do about it?

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Ideally, your fighting game should always run smoothly with your default configurations. By default the demo files are set to 60 fps.
    The only thing UFE does in terms of overriting default quality settings is adjust the fixedDeltaFrame so the updates runs at the same rate of your fps. In other words, if you set your frame rate to 30, the FixedUpdate function will run 30 times per second and tell the application that the game should always try running on the default frame rate configuration imposed by UFE.

If your game is not running smoothly on the target platform or ideal configuration settings, you can check on Unity's Quality settings (Edit -> Project Settings -> Quality):
    $QualitySettings.png

For the most part, the quality settings will be the solution for most problems involving frame rate, but if changing the default quality settings is not a good alternative for you, you can also revisit your assets and see what could be using unnecessary memory (a stage that is too big, or too many effects on screen).

As for my previous answer, what I really meant was: If you need your game to run on a different default fps settings (say, 30fps for example), you just have to make sure that your your game is designed with that idea in mind from the start, as your moves need to know what frame rate it should expect so it can sync its algorithms correctly.

7. wahyuway

wahyuway

just bought the pro version. Cant believe the price cut 50% off. Hope there are more features coming.. Thanks daniel

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you!
    And guys don't forget to help UFE grow by rating it in the Asset Store. The higher the rating, the higher the chance for a more steady income for me, thus ensuring the continuous development of this product!

9. MikuruX

MikuruX

Really hoping this sell goes on to Sunday because I would really like to pick this up to work on some things I have going on in my head. Question, is it possible to convert models from MMD (MikuMikuDance) to work with UFE? If so, then I think I can really use this.

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

You probably need to convert those to FBX. Here I found this tutorial for you. I just googled "MikuMikuDance Unity" =)
    http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~hirospot/iClone/Unity/index.htm

The promo lasts until Feb 14th

11. lyppeter

lyppeter

hi ,mistermind, i noticed that all the character is mirrored when they change the face direction,can you add a option for just rotate them? because i am making a game with armed fighters,just like Naruto in psp .Please add it ,i really need it!Thank you !
    $8EF7D1E2@B18DFB23.B114F552.jpg $5FF0AC48@B18DFB23.B114F552.jpg

12. lyppeter

lyppeter

hi ,mistermind, i noticed that all the character is mirrored when they change the face direction,can you add a option for just rotate them? because i am making a game with armed fighters,just like Naruto in psp .Please add it ,i really need it!Thank you !
    $8EF7D1E2@B18DFB23.B114F552.jpg $5FF0AC48@B18DFB23.B114F552.jpg
    btw,this forum is hard to attach a pic

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently you can only change that using the SOURCE version of the product (directly in the code - comment lines 147 and 156). But having that as an option isn't such a bad idea. I've just added it to the upcoming features.

14. MatthiasDeo

MatthiasDeo

Hi, I've just purchased the Pro version of this asset. I haven't had a chance to go over it properly but I was wondering how easy it would be to add online play support or if I would need the Source version to do that. Thanks.

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

I haven't studied the implementation of online capabilities -yet- but I did make sure the programming logic was simple enough so its understandable by a junior programmer. With that said, finding the correct variables to be sent using JSON and interaction with a third party connector shouldn't be that hard.
    To do such thing I'd say you definitely need the source version though. Or, if you not under any dead line, you can wait until UFE provides that feature.

16. CocosCreatorPro

CocosCreatorPro

Great asset MMind, I really loved it. My question is if I purchase the pro version (reason I am not that experience in Unity to purchase source version for making changes on my own) will I get automatic updates? Or I have to pay for subsequent updates? What will be your update policy from one version to another? I am contemplating purchase and hence need the information.

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

All updates are free of charge once you purchase UFE.
    UFE might have its price adjusted in the future (due to several expansion factors), but no one has to pay for any sub-sequential update once they bought it.
    For those who believe in the project, Id say its a smart move to buy it now while its cheap ;)

18. MikuruX

MikuruX

There was a script that allowed me to convert MMD models into Unity. I'm still currently looking for one to convert into 3DS Max (I'm a beginner with anything related to 3D models so please don't mind me). Thank you so much for the help with that link though.

If you don't mind, I would like to put small tutorials on my site on how to use UFE. Is it okay for me to do so (keep in mind that I'm also making tutorials for EF-12 as well)?

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

That would be fantastic!!
    Please do, and send me the link. If they are good I can even add it to the official UFE website =)

20. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

MMind why is it that when i start the Character hitbox set up process the first hit box( grounded) is waaaay off from the character? i followed the tutorial as close as possible for the character. i tried a Idle 90 degrees fight pose as well as a Tpose and they both generate way far from the character and i cant move them where they need to go. what am i doing wrong? this seems like something i just need to change in my character prefab right?

that held me back from working on my demo i have 2 characters to import and wanna do them the fastest and best way possible... thanks!

also can you post a High resolution Version of your logo with transparent BG? i want to use it as a bumper to my promo video this week. thanks

21. Mistermind

Mistermind

When you say way off at witch axis are you referring too? Can you provide me a screenshot?
    If its the Z axis, its suppose to be that way. The hitboxes are 2d projections of what is happening in the 3D environment in the Z axis.

If the character is off on the X or Y axis, it could be that the model import settings are wrong. I'm no 3D modeler so I can't tell you what could be in this case, but I think it has to do with the root position of your character when you are exporting it. Don't quote me on this though, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Maya, Blender and 3D Max =)

Sure thing! Here is a PSD of the logo. Because of blending effect on some layers transparent color didn't look very good for a PNG export. You can however just paint the background layer on any color you like and it will look good as JPG. I'll try getting a full transparent background on that soon.

Download: http://www.ufe3d.com/Logo.psd

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  22. Miggoh

Miggoh

Any idea why this happens? Basically, if you land a parry, it gives you full invincibility for the rest of the round.

No other changes were done to scene at that point except parrying set to tap forward and changed background music.

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

I believe I didn't add parry animations to these characters. Only the Demo_Character has them set.
    To add the parry animations, go to the Basic Animations tab, select Parry Crouching and Parry High and drag a parry animation to them (or you can use the same animations used for blocking).
    Make sure you also have your error console somewhere in your Unity layout. I made a custom error system that warns you of those =)

24. Unifier

Unifier

Hi MMind - great work, I'm really impressed with what you've done so far!

I have two issues I was hoping you could help me with.

1.) I'm using mecanim and even though I have "Apply Root Motion" set for my animations the characters aren't being translated to the position of the end of the animation. I am using the following settings:
    Root Transform Rotation - body orientation
    Root Transform Position (y) - feet
    Root Transform Position (x,z) - center of mass

2.) I'm having a texture glitching problem in-game that doesn't occur in the preview nor in other projects as seen in the image of the character model's foot. Any idea what this could be?

$foot.PNG

I tried messing with project render settings to no avail. My best guess is it has to do with possibly the camera settings.

25. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you!

I think you reached the "achilles heel" of Mecanim =) Coincidentally I spent about 8 hours yesterday trying to find a work around for this problem and was even going to report this bug on Unity support forums. Turns out Animator.CrossFade (the method used to make smooth transitions between animations) always starts its blending at the beginning of the first animation. I tried every possible method and work around, but its no use. As soon as the method is triggered the first animation automatically goes to the first frame.

The only work around I was able to make was create individual "blending overrides" for each basic animation (update available in the next version). Basically, if an animation blending is causing this glitch (due to the first few frames of this animation being too different from the end), you set the blending of that particular animation to 0 so it doesn't try to blend (instead it just uses Animator.Play). I'll keep you posted if Unity ever fixes this issue.

I've seen that happening with Legacy animation types, and I believe I know why. Legacy animations can't "mirror" the way Mecanim can, so when the character needs to face the opposite direction it inverts the model scale. For the most part it works just fine, but depending on the textures and normals applied, you may see visual glitches such as that one.
    If its happening on Mecanim animations though, I'm not sure what it could be. Like you said, it could be the project render settings, but to be honest with you I'm not entirely proficient at that particular area of Unity =)

Let me know if that answered your questions! I'm glad someone pointed that out.

26. Unifier

Unifier

Hi again MMind. Thank-you for answering my questions.

I fixed the texture problem by setting the clipping planes for the camera. Not sure the limits but I changed:

Near: 0.01 to 0.3
    Far: 100 to 1000

As for root node translation I'm wondering if you could save me some time and possibly send me the scripts with the "blending overrides" functionality. I have a deadline coming up so any time saved would be extremely helpful and much appreciated. I authenticated my purchase of UFE Source already with you but I can again if needed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  27. Miggoh

Miggoh

I knew it was worth subscribing to this thread. I had some problems with my character's eyes and setting the Near value to 0.3 fixed it quite nicely. Pic below.

28. Mistermind

Mistermind

Nice fix!
    I'm not sure sending you the files this early is such a good idea. Nothing is documented and not everything on the "coming soon" list is there.
    I can gather the current state of the files here and send it to you later tonight, but since its not official, I cannot provide you much support. Hopefully you can work around them without my help.

Those characters are awesome. I used them several times during early development of UFE =)
    Too bad the creator of the characters never answered me >< Would be fun to have some partnership with that guy!

29. Miggoh

Miggoh

They have pretty good price/quality too. The animations alone are worth the package price IMO. There are apparently new characters coming out soon. Looking forward to that.

12 Jan 2014
    Thank you for the compliment. Currently, we are preparing to release some male characters which are scheduled to be on sale later this month. We hope you keep looking forward to them.

30. CocosCreatorPro

CocosCreatorPro

Purchased your asset, hoping to create what I intend to :)
    Can you guide me to any good fighting character assets, which I can purchase for animations, moves etc. Which character is that in the above screenshots (about which you are talking about)
    Anyways, you have created an awesome kit.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  31. Miggoh

Miggoh

Aoi Character Pack and Honoka Character Pack. Both are pretty high quality and mecanim compatible.

32. Unifier

Unifier

Thank you!

Probably something you're already aware of but if you quit in-game to main menu the HUD stays on the screen.

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

Here we go =)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#publisher/2998
    If you guys manage to talk to him, tell him he should reply my e-mail! :D

Edit: Err sorry, didn't realize Miggoh had already linked it.

Yeah sorry, the GUI coding was really rushed :/ That's mostly the reason why I left it open source for all versions. Eventually I'll get those little things fixed one by one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  34. Mistermind

Mistermind

New video! Now just showing off ;)

35. Miggoh

Miggoh

That IS pretty cool. :p

36. marcipw

marcipw

Nice! You are ridiculously talented Daniel! You programmed UFE and you can create art like this.

37. Mistermind

Mistermind

Well technically speaking I didn't create the art =) I actually figured out a way of importing -some- of the data from League of Legends into Maya.
    Then it was just a matter of exporting the FBX and converting the character and its animations into humanoid inside Unity.
    Then, thanks to a few animations from Jay Bowman's and Larry Hendrix, I was able to fill the remaining required animation.
    The hard part really was figuring out a way of porting the characters from the game to Maya. its not like they leave FBX files just laying around hehe.

38. AMDonline

AMDonline

a very informative thread

39. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Noob zed, report pls!

Post that on lol forums. They gonna love it. Very nice!

40. DjWilly

DjWilly

I wonder if it's possible to play against the computer player? Or is it only player vs player?

41. Miggoh

Miggoh

For now it's player versus player. CPU is one of the planned features though.

42. binsint

binsint

Hi! is there a way we can build this on mobile phones? thanks

43. Miggoh

Miggoh

It's an upcoming feature. You can see all upcoming features here.

44. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thanks for helping out on the forums Miggoh. I really appreciate it!

Sorry for the lack of news guys, I'm currently trying to fix a bug on the PRO version. I should be able to get it fixed by the end of the week, and hopefully be able to release 1.0.4 soon after.
    Right after the release of 1.0.4 I should begin season 2, in witch I'll focus primarily on Grappling and AI. Soon after, the Mobile Port.

I'll keep you guys updated on the matter. Cheers!

45. AMDonline

AMDonline

hello peeps
    i want to have a 2.5D multiplier mobile fighting game that uses this engine here"(UFE)" and create my own characters in it, with new moves and abilities.i also want it to work on both iOS and Android.

am willing to pay 1100$.

46. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

AMDonline what do you need exactly? if you need characters i can help you there. im a Zbrush/max modeler

47. Miggoh

Miggoh

I like the sound of that. Grappling is pretty important part of mixup game. Mobile ports can wait until the core mechanics are down. Speaking of mechanics, there should be importance levels for projectiles. As in Super Projectile will go through and absorb Special Projectile and so on. Also, it would be cool, if there were moves that could deflect projectiles. Similar to Athena in KOF or Rose in SF.

On the GUI side, a splash screen would be cool before the intro screen. It could display "Powered by UFE" by default, but could be changed to custom picture. Or have it toggleable in the config file. Also, ground hits should ignore the hit animations.

48. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Thats a good idea. I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  49. Mistermind

Mistermind

Those are definitely great ideas.
    It might take a little while though. At this point I even encourage other developers to work on sub-assets for UFE as my schedules are getting progressive busier.

I also need to revisit the GUI scripts. Even though they are open source for all versions, it was definitely rushed.

50. Miggoh

Miggoh

At least I have so much stuff to do that there are no hurries with the updates. It's just a matter of order, as in whatever is first in the update will be what I'll be spending my time on. Projectiles would need a bit of work though. For example, I have this projectile, but it doesn't behave as it's supposed to at the moment. It works great for simple ball shaped projectiles though.